• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Quirks in Pokemon

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
What are some things you guys do in pokemon games that may seem weird, meaningless, or even stupid. Things that you do out of habit or have done for a long time. For me, some of those things include:

Making sure my team has balanced genders
Not using the old gateau in dppt even though I know its the same as a full heal.
Making sure I am not listening to the bike music.
Making sure my pokemon don't get too much experience. I always have my ingame teams on a strict rotation.

What about you guys?

Dark Eevee

What are some things you guys do in pokemon games that may seem weird, meaningless, or even stupid. Things that you do out of habit or have done for a long time. For me, some of those things include:

Making sure my team has balanced genders
Not using the old gateau in dppt even though I know its the same as a full heal. I didn't use it either. It's one-of-a-kind and purple.
Making sure I am not listening to the bike music. I don't like that music either.
Making sure my pokemon don't get too much experience. I always have my ingame teams on a strict rotation. Don't really know what you mean by the first part but I rotate my pokemon as well. They are never more than one or two levels above or below the others.

What about you guys?

Replies in bold.

Abus0ru

アブソル
I always press Down+B right as the Pokeball closes when capturing Pokemon. I know it doesn't help but I used to think it did back in the GSC days, so now its just habit.

I am also very picky about my Pokemon's genders, I like most Pokemon to be a certain gender, like say an Espeon has to be a female, and a Jolteon a male.

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
Using that one old lady in RSE to heal over and over again to see if it ever ends!

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
What I mean about rotation is that if I skip a pokemon or use one more than the others, it somehow feels wrong or unfair for the rest of the team

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
Once upon a time, I only used male Pokémon. But that's quite a while ago. These days, my only quirk is probably that I keep insisting on only using my starter during first playthrough, even though I try to catch and use others. I have no idea why,

Elite Four Muadita

Mine is that pokemon that look like a gender has to be that gender. I could never have a male gardevoir :p

Stickly

whenever im playing ingame i always train my party pokemon by two levels at a time to keep them all the same level and if i catch a pokemon i only train it until its the same level as the lowest level party pokemon

SychinLegacy

I always use my starter and I try to level up everyone evenly. I usually go by 5's, so I'll train my starter first from level 20 to 25, then next up to 25 and so on until everyone is. I always do my starter first, and then everyone else in a random order.

Oh I also use the last box in the computer as a special VIP box for anyone pokemon I've used through out the game, from my top string to simple HM slaves, they deserve a place of honor for helping through the game.

Last edited:

Charzonsos

Fire/Dragon Trainer
All my Pokemon must be an equal level.
Must nickname everyone I use (My HM Slave Biberal was 'The Doof').
Catch all my party Pokemon in regular old pokeballs (exception is Safari zone pokes)
Won't use Pokemon outside the Games original generation Pre-Elite Four unless they evolve into a new poke. (Example, used Gen III Pokes in Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, but Used Gen I in FireRed and LeafGreen)
Making sure my Pokemon is a certain gender if I feel it looks like a certain gender (normally just with the Human-like Pokes)
Leaving a Ditto at the Daycare all the time.
Not using the same Pokemon in a different game, unless it has a new evolution.
Nicknaming my fire starters after some sort of fire, whilst not being very original. Flame, Volcano, Blaze, and Inferno in that order.

Habits I broke:
Using only Fire, dragon, and dragon like types.
Naming my Rival Derek.

Carina

Plasbad!!
Don't know if anyone else does this.
Once in a while, I make sure I go home to visit my mum...just for the sake of visiting her. Or else I'll feel guilty.

Last edited:
Always giving ledgendarys silly, inappropriate and demeaning nicknames.
Examples: Goofy the Giratina and the Lake Guardians: Ears (Mesprit) Banana (Azelf) and Smoosh (Uxie).
It gives me pleasure to think that beings once worshipped as gods are now cursed with ridiculous names and trapped in Boxes.

Aurath8

Don't know if anyone else does this.
Once in a while, I make sure I go home to visit my mum...just for the sake of visiting her. Or else I'll feel guilty.

Just as I read this, I was entering the door of Gold's house to visit his mum. Weird.
I sweep the elite 4 once a day, to prove how terrible johto's elite four are.

pirate555

Word.
Mine is that pokemon that look like a gender has to be that gender. I could never have a male gardevoir :p

Hehe, I do the opposite. I revel in breaking gender-stereotypes in the pokemon games, so if I catch a machoke, heck it's gonna be a girl! Not that I'm trying to take the feminist slant, however. My Gardevoirs are male, my moustached pokes, female. Though saying I'm not feminist, I choose Nidoqueen over Nidoking every time. Nidoqueen's sprite just always looks cleaner without all those random spikes and horns!

I always make my own plot between the main characters, imagine my own dialogue, because the whole good v evil plotline is getting old. My Elite Four Champion is usually a deranged lonely human being, cut off from their emotions and lacking in wisdom. But my own hero is something of a narcissist who fails to heal the Champion because she's just not perfect. Ah, I have such fun xD

Oh yeah, and in my Diamond game I never caught Mesprit because the background battle music is too epic. Gotta keep that pokemon free incase I feel like another listen. One day I'll arrange it for orchestra on sibelius, when I've got more time.

~Pirate

Cazzah

Why Is The Rum Gone?
I'm sure I have more, I just dont remeber them
My couple:

ALWAYS press B when catching something, out of habit from when I thought it did something :D
ALWAYS try and catch pokes in normal pokeballs :)
Usualy level my team ( And possible team members) up equally
Catch every pokemon I can in an area before moving on

AZX612

On my own here we go
With the exception of the Dragons, My team always consists of Pokemon you find in the beginning of the game, and they have to be Reigon Specific

I keep my Pokemon the gender they look

I always try to find every item you can find

Until I can buy Full Heal + Max Potion or Full Restore, I always keep 10 of everything on hand. (Antidote, Paralyze Heal, Awakening, Burn Heal, Ice Heal, Potion (Regular, Super, Hyper, Etc...))

I always pick a few favorite Places in each Reigon

Kanto
Indigo Plateu
Celedon City

Johto
Area in the Middle of Mt. Moon with the Clefairy
Safari Zone Route
Goldenrod City

Hoenn
Verdanturf Town
Lillycove City
Battle Frontier
Route with falling Ash/Ash filled Grass
Route inbetween Verdanturf and Mauville

Sinnoh
Hearthome City
Sunnyshore City
Resort Area
Survival Area
Valor Lakefront Inn
Jubilife City
Floraroma Town
Veilstone City

. . . Yeah . . .

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
In RSE I had an obsession with Linoone, almost every game file had to have a Linoone Mostly because it was just such a great HM slave.
Also I could never have a team without some kind of fire type. Even today it still feels weird not having a fire pokemon on my team.
Could not go into Pokemon Mansion. Seriously, I couldn't beat the game because of that. It wasn't until I was nearly 14 that I finally beat LG for the first time. The experience had to do with stumbling into the mansion one night when I was about 6. Remember in yellow the creepy Raticate sprite? Well that freaked me out and I had to get out of there.

yukamina

pirate555, that's so awesome XD
I don't go so far as to catch female machoke/mustache owning/etc pokemon, but I have happily raised male gardevoirs and a male lopunny. When I realized female eevee's were really hard to get, I went out of my way to breed one for an umbreon. I didn't want to settle for all my eevee evolutions being male.

I nickname the pokemon I keep with me except the bred ones I forgot to name before I traded them to new game. And I keep my pokemon within a few levels of each other. Boring quirks, but whatever.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I have a certain level schedule I like to follow ingame, I never have type overlaps, I always have males unless the poke is 100% female, I like to give all the pokes on my team an even number of gym battles, and I always level each one of them up one level at a time.