• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Quotas and Affirmative Action Discussion Thread

chess-z

campy vampire
Don't act so righteous, you never read any sources.

Also, "when free speech was censored". Grow up. People not laughing at your rape jokes isn't censoring free speech,

Pikachu52

Could you provide me with a source? I'm pretty sure that has been a societal norm since the enlightenment. That's why you don't see many famous scientists who are women.
Actually there are quite a number of famous women scientists whose work has been influential in their fields

https://www.thoughtco.com/famous-women-scientists-3528329

LIBERAL. Liberty. Equality. Freedom to express speech and ideas, to engage in civil discussion. Judging people as individuals, instead of the colour of their skin.

There is nothing liberal about the regressive left, who censors anything they disagree with, and puts judging people by their superficial characteristics above all else.

Watching what happens on college campuses right now is sad. They are so convinced of their righteousness that they get PTSD from listening to opposing viewpoints.

This is a strawman argument and an exaggeration without basis in reality

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
There's also a trend of women not actually being recognized for their titles and instead treated as something else. Look at Amal Clooney, she's an accomplished civil rights lawyer, but when she goes to the U.N. to talk about ISIS and human rights issues the story becomes "George Clooney's wife shows baby bump"

And what's wrong with trying to get rid of hateful and discriminatory speech? The people who complain about college safe spaces are the people who also get mad when they can't say words like "Tranny" and "The coloreds". If anything those are the people who want safe spaces.

snorlax512

It's not hateful and discriminatory speech that they want to get rid of, it's opposing viewpoints. Look at how many conservative and libertarian speakers that were disinvited from speaking simply because of people getting traumatized that someone might have a different opinion than them.

Even Obama thinks it's ridiculous. College is a place where people are exposed to different ideas, not hide in "safe spaces" or get "trigger warnings" when people dont come from your stupid bubble. If you can't handle alternative opinions, go back to nursery school.

Oh, but we just shut out hateful and discriminatory speech. The label "bigot, homophobe, racist" which are tossed around so much they don't have meaning anymore. The speech codes are so broad that colleges manipulate them to shut down anyone they don't like.

Look at **** like this: people found guilty of racial harassment for reading a book which offended people
https://www.thefire.org/cases/india...ilty-of-racial-harassment-for-reading-a-book/

A guy couldn't even hand out copies of the constitution on constitution day
http://freebeacon.com/politics/students-told-they-cant-pass-out-constitution-on-constitution-day/

University of South Carolina shut down a free speech event because people find it "triggering" and "offensive". https://www.thefire.org/students-in...lawsuit-against-university-of-south-carolina/

The incident where Yale students tried to limit Halloween costumes because it might offend people was so ridiculous that it made a lecturer resign.https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/...esigns-after-email-on-halloween-costumes.html

Students in Amhurst are demanding that "All lives matter" and "free speech" posters not be tolerated, and enforce mandatory racial training for the students with opposing views. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ents-demand-no-free-speech-signs-or-else.html

This is why political correctness must die.

chess-z

campy vampire
Anecdotal and not indicative of a greater trend. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

bobjr

Staff member
Plus all lives matter has an inherently racist message

bobjr

Staff member
Or it's used to shut down an actual racist viewpoint and movement.

snorlax512

Come on dude, I'm a misogynist for saying there are differences between male and female brains. I'm a bigot for saying that most terrorists are muslims.

I don't really give a damn about BLM vs ALM semantics, but you can't shut out other people's viewpoints without letting them explain themselves.

chess-z

campy vampire
My man you managed to be fabulously wrong on both counts. Yes, there are differences in between men and women's brains, but the line was way fuzzier than you make it out to be. Cis White Men are the biggest terror threat to the United States, and they always have been. Your world is way less grounded in facts than you believe.

bobjr

Staff member
Come on dude, I'm a misogynist for saying there are differences between male and female brains. I'm a bigot for saying that most terrorists are muslims.

I don't really give a damn about BLM vs ALM semantics, but you can't shut out other people's viewpoints without letting them explain themselves.

If you don't have to care about these things then why talk about them? It affects millions of others, and I'm sure they'd rather deal with the issues rather than deal with someone apathetic to it all.

snorlax512

If you don't have to care about these things then why talk about them? It affects millions of others, and I'm sure they'd rather deal with the issues rather than deal with someone apathetic to it all.

I care about the issues, just not whether the name of the movement is BLM or ALM or whatever.

bobjr

Staff member
I care about the issues, just not whether the name of the movement is BLM or ALM or whatever.

But part of the issue is people trying to undermine the movement by making the name seem bad.

snorlax512

Anecdotal and not indicative of a greater trend. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

Safe spaces, trigger warnings, free speech zones and speakers getting disinvited are not merely anecdotal. It's become a culture in US colleges.

Just watch those youtube videos interviewing random people on the campus about free speech. Stuff like asking "Where are you from?" is offensive and considered a 'microagression'.

Besides, these examples give insight to how free speech is handled on those specific colleges. If the University of Indianapolis thinks reading a book that people may find offensive is racial harassment, they probably aren't too tolerant on controversial views about other issues.

We are raising a generation of pussies who get PTSD from hearing opposing viewpoints, and are so concerned with subjective feelings that they are unable to think critically.

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
The same generation people are complaining are too violent for doing things like punching nazis in the face.

snorlax512

My man you managed to be fabulously wrong on both counts. Yes, there are differences in between men and women's brains, but the line was way fuzzier than you make it out to be.
Firstly, I never said how big the difference was. I simply said men and women tend to have different intellectual skills, and you shut me down with a 'misogynist' label like a classic regressive.

Men have 6.5 times the amount of grey matter than women, while women have 10 times the amount of white matter than men. (Both areas are associated with different types of intelligence)
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/01/050121100142.htm

Cis White Men are the biggest terror threat to the United States, and they always have been. Your world is way less grounded in facts than you believe.
lol the number of people 'cis white' terrorists kill is insignificant compared to the number of people jihadists kill in Syria.

Ereshkigal

Exactly why I say regressive. Going back to the times when free speech was censored.

Free speech has always been partially censored to a degree. Neither side of the divide is arguing over a lack of censorship, but how they want speech censored.

Murdering other people in this country doesn't put you ahead, it lands you in prison. The people who kill because they 'feel like it' are psychopaths, and I acknowledge that one of them can kill me every day. However, the chance of that happening is so small that I disregard it.

That's not always true. But generally, it doesn't happen now. It used to be a lot more common. Just ask any African American about how recently it was common practice. But that doesn't change that you don't have to be a psychopath to murder someone. In fact, most psychopaths are not murderers. They make up the upper ranks of the American business elite.

Could you provide me with a source? I'm pretty sure that has been a societal norm since the enlightenment. That's why you don't see many famous scientists who are women.

I could point you to almost literally any history book on the planet. This is so well-documented that it's like asking for a source that the First Amendment covers freedom of speech. Or that the sky is blue.

Still, try this one.

You're going to have to sit back and face a simple fact: A degree of censorship is necessary for human civilization to function. So is a degree of trying to counter the existing societal problems. Time has moved on. This isn't the 1950s anymore.

Last edited:

snorlax512

Free speech has always been partially censored to a degree. Neither side of the divide is arguing over a lack of censorship, but how they want speech censored.
To what degree is the problem. The regressive left censors opposing ideas and controversial opinions, just look at all these riots to stop conservative speakers from coming to universities simply because they are emotionally unable to deal with different opinions.

That's not always true. But generally, it doesn't happen now. It used to be a lot more common. Just ask any African American about how recently it was common practice. But that doesn't change that you don't have to be a psychopath to murder someone. In fact, most psychopaths are not murderers. They make up the upper ranks of the American business elite.
I don't really get your point. You were trying to argue it's not weak minded to disregard facts because of your subjective feelings.

I could point you to almost literally any history book on the planet. This is so well-documented that it's like asking for a source that the First Amendment covers freedom of speech. Or that the sky is blue.
Men were still perceived to be the "scientists", the "pioneers", the "innovators" of the enlightenment; women becoming assistant calculators doesn't change that.

It has been the societal norm for hundreds of years, hence why the overwhelmingly majority of famous scientists were men.