• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

R.I.P., Elisabeth Sladen

lugia*master

Cheese XD
R.I.P. Elizabeth Sladen
1 February 1946 - 19 April 2011

I'm so sad that I'm even making this post, but since I can't see one already, I think that such an amazing and treasured actress deserves one.

Elisabeth Sladen, best known for playing Sarah Jane Smith in the world's longest-running and most successful Sci-Fi series, BBC Drama 'Doctor Who' throughout the 70s (and later, her own CBBC Children's Drama 'The Sarah Jane Adventures') has died, at the age of 63.

She had been fighting against cancer for some time, but had not wanted to make it widely known. BBC Sources said the actress passed away on the morning of Tuesday 19 April 2011.

Many news websites and british tabloids have paid tribute to the Liverpool-born actress today, and the many websites devoted to the series and the actress have been swamped by saddened fans paying their own tributes.

Controller of CBBC Damian Kavanagh said: "I'm deeply saddened and shocked by the news of Lis' untimely death. Lis brought joy, excitement and a sense of wonder to her many fans in her role as Sarah Jane Smith. She was adored by our young audience and I know all of them will miss her as much as I will."

Lis was known as Sarah Jane Smith, an investigative journalist turned Time Traveller, as a companion to the Doctor during the 70s. Current Doctor Who, Matt Smith, said:

"What struck me about Lis was her grace. She welcomed me, educated me, and delighted me with her tales and adventures on Doctor Who. And she also seemed to have a quality of youth that not many people retain as they go through life. Her grace and kindness will stay with me because she had such qualities in abundance and shared them freely. I will miss her, as will the world of Doctor Who and all the Doctors that had the good pleasure to work with Lis Sladen and travel the universe with Sarah Jane."

I personally thought of Mrs Sladen in the highest regard - not only was she famously a very lovable, kind, polite and lovely woman, but also an inspirational star of amazing talent. There are a few people in the world who I consider my very own inspirations, and Elisabeth Sladen was absolutely one of them - without a doubt, much moreso than the others. I only wish that I could've met her.

Steven Moffat, Doctor Who's current Lead Writer and Executive Producer said: "'Never meet your heroes' wise people say. They weren't thinking of Lis Sladen.
"Sarah Jane Smith was everybody's hero when I was younger, and as brave and funny and brilliant as people only ever are in stories. But many years later, when I met the real Sarah Jane - Lis Sladen herself - she was exactly as any child ever have wanted her to be. Kind and gentle and clever; and a ferociously talented actress, of course, but in that perfectly English unassuming way.

"There are a blessed few who can carry a whole television show on their talent and charisma - but I can't think of one other who's done it quite so politely. I once showed my son Joshua an old episode of Doctor Who, in which Lis appeared. "But that's Sarah Jane," he said, confused "In old Doctor Who. From years ago. How come she always look exactly the same?" It's not a comfort today, of course, but children will still be saying that fifty years from now."

There are many, many more who have spoken of their sadness, but also of their experience with the actress. A number of celebrities posted their reaction on the social networking site, Twitter, some of which include: Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant, John Barrowman, Murray Gold, Mark Gatiss, Gareth Roberts, Stephen Fry, Roger Karey, Kieth Jones, and David Tennant, to name but a very few.

Elisabeth Sladen left behind a husband, Brian Miller (70), and a daughter, Sadie (26)

Last edited:

uprockingdude

Veteran Breeder
i can't contribute as much as you did as i have only been aware of her work since doctor who came back but i caught up with some of her original work and the sarah jane adventures and thought that was one of the greatest kid shows of all time. she was a great actress and this news totally comes out of the blue to me. its totally saddening to me.

all i say is thank you elisabeth. R.I.P

CrisPi

Poor woman... May she rest in peace.

Manaphione123

Merely A Puppet
Don't ask me to write a speech. I'm terrible with words. But what I can say is only what is on everybody's minds. Goodbye Elisabeth Sladen. You were fantastic. And brilliant. Truly brilliant. You will be missed greatly.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
I thought she was born in 1948? Different sites don't seem to be agreeing on whether it was '46 or '48... >_<

ANYWAY

This is the first celebrity death that genuinely shook me and upset me. I had no idea she was even ill. She was a phenomenal actress and a genuine loss.

R.I.P. <3

Pansy :]

anustart
She was probably the loyalist of all the doctor's companions. You all have said all that I can say and I'm very litterally tearing up reading this. I had no clue until last night when it said "R.I.P. Elizibeth Sladen" in the beginning, and I just freaked out... like litterally took me ten minutes just to calm down enough to watch the show.

indigohex

It is a sad day for Doctor Who fans with the untimely passing of Elisabeth Sladen (I only found out about her death on Wikipedia today [3 May]). I would remember her from her appearances as Sarah Jane Smith in Doctor Who alongside the Tenth Doctor (in particular the episodes "The Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End").

It is kind of sad that we lost two great actors who have appeared in Doctor Who within two months of each other (in case you may be unaware Nicholas Courtney, who played Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart in Doctor Who in the 1970s died back in February this year after a long illness and now Elisabeth Sladen after a brave battle against cancer).

RIP Elisabeth Sladen.

Last edited: