• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Racial and Class Bias in the Justice System

Gets it's fair share of overexposure though in the news media

If anything, it doesn't get enough. You need to know about and be confronted with injustice if you're going to do something about it. That's why the media is critically important in bringing us these stories and putting emphasis on them. Or to better phrase it, which story of an innocent black person being shot, beaten, or maimed or other act of police brutality or abuse of power against people of color wouldn't you have covered? It's getting more attention in the media lately not because racial injustice is a new phenomena in this country, but because people, black people, are getting tired of it and they are voicing their discontent with a system that they know doesn't give them a fair shake. Whenever you have an entire demographic rising up to voice their grief and anger, you must listen, or ignore them at your own peril.

If the 9 people shot in Charleston don't get justice, somehow, God help this country.

Regarding liberal media bias, communication research shows that it's about even, but the constant assertion there certainly is a liberal bias is perpetuating the idea. Which has been a useful tactic for conservatives when you think about it.

Under "explaining perceptions of media bias"

http://www.journalism.wisc.edu/~dshah/CR1999a.pdf

Last edited:

Silver Soul

The media here in US is mostly incompetent, that is a difference. You got actual incompetence and the other being intentional ignorance.

For example, Obama went on Marc Maron's WTF Podcast and he had a discussion racism. So when Obama used the N-word in context about the topic, Fox News freaked out more about him using the N-word... THAN THE ACTUAL RACISM THAT TOOK PLACE AT THE SHOOTING THE DAY AFTER!

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rapper-in-chief-fox-contributor-piles-on-obamas-use-of-n-word/

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Call him what you want. The guy is in jail and going to trial. I hope the justice system is fair to him and the families of the victims. And....moving along.

The man shot and killed nine people deliberately as an act of racism, marking nine counts of 1st degree murder.

The death penalty is fair.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
The man shot and killed nine people deliberately as an act of racism, marking nine counts of 1st degree murder.

Death penalty is too good for him, give him life and let him rot.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

As much as I would love that, a message is in order.

Dylan Roof's actions has placed racism back on a grand scale, and the black community on a precipice. If he receives even the slightest sign of a lesser sentence, it could reignite the social acceptance and perpetuation of hate crimes.

In order to prevent a return to such times, Roof must receive the death penalty.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Really what has he done different than the Boston bomber? I'm not saying he deserves the death penalty, but to call him anything less than a terrorist is just silly.

Of course it is fair. I never said it wasn't. I also did not even allude to the death penalty in my prior post so i don't understand why you brought it up in the first place.
Debatable. Sometimes death is a proper sentence.
As much as I would love that, a message is in order.

Dylan Roof's actions has placed racism back on a grand scale, and the black community on a precipice. If he receives even the slightest sign of a lesser sentence, it could reignite the social acceptance and perpetuation of hate crimes.

In order to prevent a return to such times, Roof must receive the death penalty.
You have a very odd notion of justice. The court of public opinion does not reign in the United States, even if you want it to. The rule of law is the only thing that matters and if his actions are deemed worthy of a death sentence by law, only then will he be sentenced to death. Roof will get a fair trial and if he is put in prison for the rest of life he will be. Is Roof deserving of a death sentence? Most likely. A brutal killing of 9 innocent individuals merely based on a hatred of their skin color and the desire to start a race war is a terrible offense.
Let's be honest though, you or anyone else moaning and groaning about it DOES NOTHING. Let the court do their job.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
You have a very odd notion of justice. The court of public opinion does not reign in the United States, even if you want it to. The rule of law is the only thing that matters and if his actions are deemed worthy of a death sentence by law, only then will he be sentenced to death. Roof will get a fair trial and if he is put in prison for the rest of life he will be. Is Roof deserving of a death sentence? Most likely. A brutal killing of 9 innocent individuals merely based on a hatred of their skin color and the desire to start a race war is a terrible offense.
Let's be honest though, you or anyone else moaning and groaning about it DOES NOTHING. Let the court do their job.

I just love how easy it is for you to tell me my 'groaning' does nothing, and to just let the court do their job. I do wonder why.

This may be just another news report for you, but for me, this is my life. I endure the depths of racism every single day, and in many ways. The only thing that has not happen to me is death. This is the life of not only blacks, but many poeple of color. When I see events such as this, I see the effect it has on my life, what it could mean for the future.

It is clearly easy for you to merely sit back and watch, but don't assume everyone has that privilege.

Navin

MALDREAD

I'm guessing what you mean is that no matter how much the African-American community and public-at-large feels towards the ruling, the court has to ignore such sentiment and make its decision, no matter whether it will cause praise or disappointment.

Well, the dude is going to get life in parole or death penalty either way. He was only 21 years old too. Threw his life away.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm guessing what you mean is that no matter how much the African-American community and public-at-large feels towards the ruling, the court has to ignore such sentiment and make its decision, no matter whether it will cause praise or disappointment.

Well, the dude is going to get life in parole or death penalty either way. He was only 21 years old too. Threw his life away.

James Eagan Holmes, the man responsible for the mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado in 2012, is still undergoing trial due to several allowances by the court, per request by the defense, to have Holmes psychiatrically evaluated to see if he was capable of standing trial. Even after a psychologist confirming Holmes was sane prior to and during the shooting, the utilization of mental illness, in addition to two jury dismissals, has remained effective in delaying the trial and leaning Holmes towards a lesser and potentially undeserved sentence.

Justice is a very hard thing to come by these days.

I just love how easy it is for you to tell me my 'groaning' does nothing, and to just let the court do their job. I do wonder why.

This may be just another news report for you, but for me, this is my life. I endure the depths of racism every single day, and in many ways. The only thing that has not happen to me is death. This is the life of not only blacks, but many poeple of color. When I see events such as this, I see the effect it has on my life, what it could mean for the future.

It is clearly easy for you to merely sit back and watch, but don't assume everyone has that privilege.
You certainly have a flare for the dramatic kiddo. And you missed the whole point of my post, once again. Maldread's appraisal of my post is close to the number. Yours, not so much.

^ The main point i made. The court system in the United States is not geared to satisfy the interests of one particular group nor is it designed to favor the party which the masses want to win. The system is and must remain an impartial one. Basically, good ole' Lady Justice must remain blindfolded.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
You certainly have a flare for the dramatic kiddo. And you missed the whole point of my post, once again. Maldread's appraisal of my post is close to the number. Yours, not so much.

How dare you belittle what I go through as 'dramatic?'

I get that you're exercising your freedom to not care, but you could at least show some level or respect, rather than just be a total a-hole.

You are speaking from the position of someone who doesn't have to deal with these ordeals. I have been victim of racist attacks more times than I can count, including by the police (most recently on Dec. 5th, 2014, during a peaceful protest). So no, this doesn't come close to dramatics. This **** hits close to home.

Last edited:

Acecrj

Master Trainer
How "peaceful" was this protest? The police department takes to much flak for,doing their job right someday you'll need a cop and there won't be any because they are scared to do their job. And in all of these cases there has been proof who has been in the wrong so the courts are not racially biased.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
How "peaceful" was this protest? The police department takes to much flak for,doing their job right someday you'll need a cop and there won't be any because they are scared to do their job. And in all of these cases there has been proof who has been in the wrong so the courts are not racially biased.

We walked and chanted for eight hours, protesting the race-based attacks and murders by police within our own city of Chicago, as well as throughout the country.

Throughout the walk, we were hit with bikes, pushed and slammed to the ground, others beaten and arrested while merely crossing the street. There was even a moment where as two cops attackled a protester who was crossing the street (green light) and they had a wagon pull up in front of them to block the view of the news cameras running to capture the act, but I saw it. They ****ing beat that man.

Later that evening, while we stood in front of the 1st District police station, a mother had to come and demand the release of her two daughters, who were both wrongfully arrested during the protest.

I am not surprised how quickly you assumed I was lying about the protest. It is always easy to criticize an event you weren't part of. However, I can guarantee that if it were you telling your story, you wouldn't want anyone accusing you of lying about your own suffering.

Once again, these are all just news reports for you, and many others, but this is my goddamn life. I don't get to change the channel when I see it, like you do. I don't have the luxury of ignoring or eclipsing it.

Stop judging what I go through as if you actually know something about it, because you obviously don't. I openly state an event of my trials, and the first thing you do is imply that I'm lying. You're just another privileged jerk, scoffing at any trouble that isn't your own.

Acecrj

Master Trainer
I know some cops are bad but we can't condemn the whole police force for a few cops mistakes. The reason there is so much racial tension is because of some riots like Baltimore. Believe me I'm not racist I see no difference between me and a black person, in fact in a lot of things black people are way more talented. You are natural athletes hard workers and no matter what people say you should be proud. My grandpa was a firm believer in equal rights, he said it was sad how we treated other human beings with less respect.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I know some cops are bad but we can't condemn the whole police force for a few cops mistakes. The reason there is so much racial tension is because of some riots like Baltimore. Believe me I'm not racist I see no difference between me and a black person, in fact in a lot of things black people are way more talented. You are natural athletes hard workers and no matter what people say you should be proud. My grandpa was a firm believer in equal rights, he said it was sad how we treated other human beings with less respect.

Don't pacify me.

I don't want your commemoration. I want acknowledgement. Stop relying solely on every news report and statistic you see, and actually go out there and see these things for yourself. Talk to people. Join a protest. Form a rally. Petition for a bill. Do something.

Saying you're not a racist means nothing if you sit on the sidelines or preach skeptism to the cause. If you truly care, acknowledge the problem, and work with the community solve it.

Acecrj

Master Trainer
I'm not trying to "pacify" you. Im just stating the facts how many white people get murdered by black people every day I bet you don't know do you that doesn't make the news because the news is biased not the judicial system. And a there is no such thing as peaceful protest. My friend the meaning of protest in the dictionary is to express unhappiness with action.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm not trying to "pacify" you. Im just stating the facts how many white people get murdered by black people every day I bet you don't know do you that doesn't make the news because the news is biased not the judicial system. And a there is no such thing as peaceful protest. My friend the meaning of protest in the dictionary is to express unhappiness with action.

I know very well what stupid **** blacks folks do, because all it does is makes it harder for us to obtain equality.

However, the reason I am telling you to go out there and see these thing for yourself is because of the very statement you made. Do you really think all of these reports of white-on-black murders are the sum of it? They don't even make a quarter of the racially-based murders and beatings that happen throughout this country. It is only now, these last two years, that the nation is actually hearing about it.

Conversely, reports of murders of white people by blacks are on the news all the time, just not plastered all over media. Your post clearly shows your reliance on news coverage, hence my statements.

Don't get offended by what I tell you. You don't bare the kind of knowledge I and the rest of the black community possess, and you are not expected to. You are on the outside looking in, whether you like it or not. However, even though you are not expected to possess such knowledge, that does not mean you are expected to forsake it. No, you will never know what we know, not like we do, but that doesn't mean you can't have empathy.

Instead being offended, stop looking in, and actually come in.

Last edited:

Acecrj

Master Trainer
I am on the streets of Richmond, fighting for equality I'm just saying we can't condemn the judicial system because of some bad cops.
When there is a basket of apples you don't throw out all of the apples because one Is spoiled you just get rid of the spoiled one so it doesn't spoil the whole basket.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I am on the streets of Richmond, fighting for equality I'm just saying we can't condemn the judicial system because of some bad cops.
When there is a basket of apples you don't throw out all of the apples because one Is spoiled you just get rid of the spoiled one so it doesn't spoil the whole basket.

The judicial system is heavily flawed, its 'fairness' varying drastically. If you think it doesn't have a bias, you are either naive or willfully blind.

You know there is a problem when a 16 year-old black girl (Cyntoia Brown) can receive life in prison for killing her rapist, but a 16 year-old white boy (Ethan Couch) can drive drunk and kill four people, and get off on affluenza.

And that isn't even the tip of the iceburg.

Last edited: