• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Racial and Class Bias in the Justice System

Chinonso

Therians
I just think that the countries haven't quite caught up with themselves yet. A lot of these instances happen in America (which I believe to be in the epicentre of EVERYTHING [sorry to anyone who is offended]), and to be honest, it has been like this for quite a while. I guess it can all date back to the first segregation of 'blacks' and other racial classes in the 19th century.

What I'm saying is, give them time, and then they'll realise their issues soon enough.

Also, it could just be a massive co-incidence that the people in question happen to be a race that is not 'white'. But that seems fairly unlikely TBH.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
Of course it's over money rather than the people, always has been. Not to mention the media try's so hard to keep us divided racially in this country yet people are so oblivious to the obvious lol and attack police or the white man rather than issuing the real problem. Black lives matter? Okay first off saying black lives matter proves my point exactly about the media, not just their lives matters, everyones life matters. Secondly, where's the media when a black officer kills a white person or a black kills a white in general? Again, proving my point it's to keep us divided racially. There's bound to be a race war in this country if we continue going this route, not only that it will cause a war against people vs the police force. I mean, black people are already killing officers just because they have a badge. If we don't tackle the issue now things will only get worse, A LOT worse.

Last edited:

Silver Soul

Of course it's over money rather than the people, always has been. Not to mention the media try's so hard to keep us divided racially in this country yet people are so oblivious to the obvious lol and attack police or the white man rather than issuing the real problem. Black lives matter? Okay first off saying black lives matter proves my point exactly about the media, not just their lives matters, everyones life matters. Secondly, where's the media when a black officer kills a white person or a black kills a white in general? Again, proving my point it's to keep us divided racially. There's bound to be a race war in this country if we continue going this route, not only that it will cause a war against people vs the police force. I mean, black people are already killing officers just because they have a badge. If we don't tackle the issue now things will only get worse, A LOT worse.

You do know that crime is going lower each passing year, correct? In fact, police deaths are at the all time lowest. We just happen to have a broken system. I mean it's been 11 months and Tamir Rice's killers have yet to be in jail. Not to mention there's more people in jail who smoke marijuana than those who WRECKED THE ECONOMY! The USA makes up a quarter of the world's prison population.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
You do know that crime is going lower each passing year, correct? In fact, police deaths are at the all time lowest. We just happen to have a broken system. I mean it's been 11 months and Tamir Rice's killers have yet to be in jail. Not to mention there's more people in jail who smoke marijuana than those who WRECKED THE ECONOMY! The USA makes up a quarter of the world's prison population.

Yeah that's violent crimes, what about the crimes like DRUGS where the system try's their oh so hardest to lock these "menaces up" when they're minding their own damn business. I've lost count as to how many people are locked up over petty bs cannabis charges. Where I live there's campus shootings (NIU) and the cops don't show up for damn near an hour but if they hear about a drug situation"BAM" they're there instantly. To answer a possibly question, no they never found the shooter because they're too focused on petty crimes. It seems they focus on drugs more than violent crimes, according to statistics and that's across the nation, pretty stupid if you ask me. The system should just eliminate the war on drugs and focus on real criminals that's an endangerment to society. I'm sure that's something we both can agree on. Our jail/prison system is definitely jacked up. Prison is just a profit for them, which is why they have no intent in removing the war on drugs continuing to lock non criminals up. But again, I have mixed signals on controlled substances because they can kill someone easily like; heroin, coke, meth, etc.

Last edited:

chalkus

Personally, I think most of the shootings that have occurred by cops against the African American community have been the result of poor training and mistakes made, not racism.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Personally, I think most of the shootings that have occurred by cops against the African American community have been the result of poor training and mistakes made, not racism.

You know those reasons aren't exclusive right?

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow

You can't really say that with accuracy. A majority of those cops have the training behind their belt. Yes mistakes are made and yes some cops are racist but again what the police says goes, even if there's a witness to testify against the police the police is still going to get the win in court, which imo is corrupt on so many levels. What it seems to me is the police try to make a story up to cover their own *** when they know what they've done was corrupt. But also, the African American's killed by the cops, they may have or may not have been killed for no reason we'll never know because the police say whatever they want to get out of a situation.

How many times does this have to be explained? BlackLivesMatter does not imply white lives do not. It's called BlackLivesMatter because it's black lives that are being treated like they do not matter. I don't understand what's so difficult about this. It's almost just as bad as arguing with anti-vaxers and religious people, nothing seems to get through and it's exasperating sometimes.

It's not even true that you never hear about white police dying in the media. You hear about police deaths all the time, regardless of their race. At the very least, you hear about them way more than doctors, fireman, or any other regular old citizen dying. The question you're asking is why there isn't a racial narrative attached when a white police officer is killed at the hands of a black person, which is just a silly question for more than one reason.

First off, most police officers are white. Just from a statistical standpoint, you're going to be hearing more about black people killing white cops in predominately black communities and neighborhoods affected by crime. Secondly, this country doesn't have a long standing history of brutalizing unarmed white citizens. Slavery, Jim Crow, the 3/5's compromise, etc. Ofcourse we're going to be more suspicious of racial motives when a white police officer kills a black citizen, you'd be foolish if you weren't!

You're so busy playing around in hypothetical idea land where a black person goes out and kills a white police officer out of pure racial animosity toward white people that you're not focusing on what the actual problems are, right now.

Last edited:

Silver Soul

Exactly, even President Obama had to address what Black Lives Matter means.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/obama-defends-black-lives-matter-movement/

WASHINGTON — Defending the Black Lives Matter movement, President Barack Obama said Thursday the protests are giving voice to a problem happening only in African-American communities, adding, “We, as a society, particularly given our history, have to take this seriously.”

Obama said the movement, which sprung up after the deaths of unarmed black men in Florida, Missouri and elsewhere, quickly came to be viewed as being opposed to police and suggesting that other people’s lives don’t matter. Opponents have countered that “all lives matter.”

At the conclusion of a White House forum on criminal justice, Obama said he wanted to make a final point about the nexus of race and the criminal justice system before launching into his defense of the movement.

“I think everybody understands all lives matter,” Obama said. “I think the reason that the organizers used the phrase ‘Black Lives Matter’ was not because they were suggesting nobody else’s lives matter. Rather, what they were suggesting was there is a specific problem that’s happening in the African-American community that’s not happening in other communities.

“And that is a legitimate issue that we’ve got to address.”

Police relations with minority communities and the deaths of unarmed black men have been topics of great interest since the shootings of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in 2012 in Florida and 18-year-old Michael Brown in 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri. Those deaths, and others of black women, have inspired protests around the country under the “Black Lives Matter” moniker.

Obama paired his defense of the Black Lives Matter movement with praise for police and other law enforcement officials. Some police groups have been unhappy with Obama’s response to the deaths of the unarmed black men. The president lately seems to be making the extra effort to publicly praise police officers for willingly taking on a dangerous assignment.

He did so while participating in a forum on drug abuse Wednesday in Charleston, West Virginia, and next week he’s scheduled to address the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

At the White House, Obama said there are specific concerns about whether blacks in certain areas are treated unfairly or are more frequently subjected to excessive force by police.

But the president said people should also “understand the overwhelming majority of law enforcement’s doing the right thing and wants to do the right thing” and “recognize that police officers have a really tough job and we’re sending them into really tough neighborhoods that sometimes are really dangerous and they’ve got to make split-second decisions.”

He said people shouldn’t be “too sanctimonious” about situations that can sometimes be ambiguous.

“But having said all that, we as a society, particularly given our history, have to take this seriously,” Obama said. “And one of the ways of avoiding the politics of this and losing the moment is everybody just stepping back for a second and understanding that the African-American community is not just making this up.”

“It’s not just something being politicized. It’s real and there’s a history behind it and we have to take it seriously,” he said.

In a separate development, the Black Lives Matter organization on Thursday rejected a town hall-style forum it had been offered by the Democratic National Committee, in lieu of a sanctioned debate it had requested. The group said a town hall wouldn’t “sufficiently respond to the concerns raised by our members.” The DNC said it has approved only six debates, and all have been scheduled.

chalkus

Yeah chalkus. Try to say that in the faces of John Crawford and Tamir Rice who died by "poor police training"... in an open carry state!

Ben Carson once said that white America don't understand what African-Americans gone through... in his book published in 1999. OMG... what a race hustler!

http://www.mediaite.com/online/ben-...grasp-on-americas-history-of-racial-violence/

Race is most certainly a factor, maybe the factor. But here's the problem. Every case has to be looked at individually before drawing a conclusion. Lumping all violent interactions between cops and the African American community as being racist is impossible since all cops are not the same, nor do they think the same. And the bigger problem is that by doing so, the real problems are never addressed. It's easy to just say white cop + black citizen = racism, but often times the true answer is never so cut and dry. As I said before, inadequate training, emotional instability, errors in judgement, anxiety, etc are all factors that should receive just as much attention but don't because the base answer is always racism. The problems with never be solved that way.

Silver Soul

The thing is that a month since I first got my driver's license several years ago, I witnessed my father got pulled over and ganged up by the police of a college just because the officer thought he passed the red light when it was yellow. Reminder that my father is old and white Hispanic. When he told me that the officer who arrests him was bragging about making arrests while in his cell, it made me realize some people should never have a badge. Thankfully they can't patrol outside the area once everyone else voiced out their encounters and got their body cams. That was progress.

If you read the Ferguson report, there's a good reason why many interactions happened for the sake of revenue.

But I digress, people especially conservatives would be hard on their support on police officers who are brutal just to stick it to the counterculture out of bigotry or make them look holy. Like the men who choked out Eric Garner or shot Tamir Rice because they are freaks of nature or... a guy doing nothing wrong in slamming a little black girl in a classroom!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...by-official-in-video_562e9e71e4b06317990f1927

chalkus

The thing is that a month since I first got my driver's license several years ago, I witnessed my father got pulled over and ganged up by the police of a college just because the officer thought he passed the red light when it was yellow. Reminder that my father is old and white Hispanic. When he told me that the officer who arrests him was bragging about making arrests while in his cell, it made me realize some people should never have a badge. Thankfully they can't patrol outside the area once everyone else voiced out their encounters and got their body cams. That was progress.

If you read the Ferguson report, there's a good reason why many interactions happened for the sake of revenue.

But I digress, people especially conservatives would be hard on their support on police officers who are brutal just to stick it to the counterculture out of bigotry or make them look holy. Like the men who choked out Eric Garner or shot Tamir Rice because they are freaks of nature or... a guy doing nothing wrong in slamming a little black girl in a classroom!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...by-official-in-video_562e9e71e4b06317990f1927

I am not saying that cops are not racist. I am saying that just looking at that one issue and turning a blind eye to everything else will solve nothing.

7 tyranitars

I think in America there is not just a race problem, there is also a police problem. If compared to other western countries the police there seems to be trained to be far more violent. They seem to miss the skill to approach and calm down someone. I am refering to minor things like getting a ticket for speeding. I do realise that this seem to happen to minorities more often especially black people. But it could just be the case that it doesn't get in the news as often when it happens to other people. Point I am trying to make, this won't go away with simply attempting to solve the race problem, but also solve the overly violent way police officers use to interact with other people.

I think in America there is not just a race problem, there is also a police problem. If compared to other western countries the police there seems to be trained to be far more violent. They seem to miss the skill to approach and calm down someone. I am refering to minor things like getting a ticket for speeding. I do realise that this seem to happen to minorities more often especially black people. But it could just be the case that it doesn't get in the news as often when it happens to other people. Point I am trying to make, this won't go away with simply attempting to solve the race problem, but also solve the overly violent way police officers use to interact with other people.

That's true. While police brutality affects black people more, it's happening everywhere, and it's everybody's problem. That's why being dismsissive of BlackLivesMatter is so dangerous in my opinion, all I can think of is pastor Niemollers poem "First they came" If you want to trivialize the collective cries of an entire group of people, that's your prerogative, but don't be shocked when the same things they were complaining about are suddenly on your doorstep.

Last edited: