• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Racism And Discrimination Are Good Things.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
That got your attention.

In the news cycle, some words keep coming up. Multiculturalism, Diversity, Tolerance. These things are nice and all, but I have wondered just how far it should go.

To be more precise, should we Westerners tolerate other cultures/religions/ideologies if they uphold beliefs that are aginst ours? For example, should we welcome and tolerate muslims who believe that men are allowed to have sex with women whenever they want, even if the woman dosn't want to?

I ask this as people in the Middle-East, Africa and Asia frequnetly treat women/non-[dominant religon/ethnicity] and other minorites rather poorly yet they condemn 'Interfering Western Imperialists' when we condemn the repressive actions of 'Diverse Enlightened Societies'.

What do you guys think of Cultural Diversity?

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Women are mistreated in all countries, many European countries are in the human girl trafficking business and those mafia guys claim to be Christians or Jews yet they do this to thousands of poor girls. And as for mistreating minorities here in the U.S we got our share of it: Beaners wettback ni-ger-s cracker chinks f-ags and for muslims we seem to be calling them nothing more than terrorist now, we westerners sure do tolerate other cultures well.
Evil is in every part of the world, if every country kept to itself and every country had only their own culture & religion allowed then we'd be all paranoid neighbors in one neighborhood never coming out of our own houses to explore & learn.
As far as Muslims hating westerners look at it from their point of view, a country rolls into your own country blows up a bunch of houses maybe even yours, kills a lot of people you know then they claim it's for your own good and they will make things better yet your country continues to be a mess after may years, wouldn't you hate or at least not trust them. And then they claim the Islam religion is bloody & evil yet the Christians killed a bunch of natives in the name of god, enslaved thousands cause god allowed them to, Cortez Pizarro and those african american lynchers all did it in the name of god so why whine & complain about another "violent" religion when your own religion has a history just as violent.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
That got your attention.

In the news cycle, some words keep coming up. Multiculturalism, Diversity, Tolerance. These things are nice and all, but I have wondered just how far it should go.

To be more precise, should we Westerners tolerate other cultures/religions/ideologies if they uphold beliefs that are aginst ours? For example, should we welcome and tolerate muslims who believe that men are allowed to have sex with women whenever they want, even if the woman dosn't want to?

I ask this as people in the Middle-East, Africa and Asia frequnetly treat women/non-[dominant religon/ethnicity] and other minorites rather poorly yet they condemn 'Interfering Western Imperialists' when we condemn the repressive actions of 'Diverse Enlightened Societies'.

What do you guys think of Cultural Diversity?

You're getting wrapped up in trying to change other people's beliefs. This thread is kinda redundant because it's not our choice whether to "tolerate it" or not. It's simple; you can believe anything; anything, as long as you follow the law. If a family is a certain religion that seems unpleasant, that is their buisiness. When someone is abused, raped, or killed, that crosses the line from religious freedom into being against the law. That is the status quo right now, and I see no reason for it to change.

Poliwag2

ship it holla
The more perspectives you have of looking at the same picture, the clearer the image will become. Cultural diversity is to be celebrated.

However, such open mindedness needs to work in both directions. As much as the West should not impose their beliefs upon those who think differently, other cultures should be less resistant to change. In short, society would be better off if everyone were more self aware.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Your right, it did.

I second this statement.

Vermehlo_Steele, I just love the names of your threads in Misc. section. Last time, you asked which color was our favorite, yet, thread was about politics.

As for this thread, I'm not a Westener, so why the hell I'm here and commenting here? Oh, yes, I remembered, it was to increase my post count and therefore my rank.

Kaliber

Older Master
I say Let it Be.

Who are we to judge another persons faith?

Should we force deodorant on the Amish because they choose not to use it so our 'Diverse Enlightened Societies' don't have to smell them a mile away?

If we were so enlightened we'd know the world is a diverse place and needs all kinds of people to make it go round.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
So according to your collective logic, Sharia Law, which would have women stoned to death if raped because rape is sex according to Sharia Law, is acceptable due to cultural diversity. If a Christian killed a doctor for practising abortions, (s)he should be left alone due to religious reasons. There are muslims who say that the West shouldn't be so soft on Muslims who suppress women.

I support multiculturalism (I wouldn't be allowed into Australia otherwise) and I have firends who aren't 100% Western, yet there has to be a basis of beliefs such as a universal belief in gender and racial equality that all citizens aspire to live up to. But the stuff said/done by some that is against the Western ideal. THAT is my problem.

Basically, Can we discriminate against the driscriminating?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/cleric-rape-beating-ok-for-wives/comments-e6freuy9-1111118629144

http://www.shvoong.com/social-sciences/anthropology/1976582-islam-woman-rights-study-cases/

http://www.smh.com.au/world/gunman-says-murder-of-abortion-doctors-was-justified-20090602-btj6.html

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/02/-freedom-fighter-freedom-fighter

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I agree, partially. If it offends people, they shoudn't do that.
Rather, if someone does not want to do something, he does not have to.

But what can we do, there are such religions and all of us should respect them and their tradition.

ZarraWolf

I don't think someone from the United states, Australia, and other countries where your people don't originate from, should be anti-immigration. The sole reason that you are there is because of immigration. So you have no right to refuse other people from migrating to "your" country.

Unless you are amongst one of the native people from these countries. Which I doubt.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
Well, you have no right to complain, you immigrant, as Europeans displaced and destroyed the Neantherdals.
Plus, who was it who invaded these countries Zarra? oh, thats right, EUROPEANS!!1!

Anyway the countries of the USA, Australia, those in the Americas and other former colonies were created by Westerners. There was no country Australia or the USA before Britain. Indigenous countries/societies who were destroyed and cruelly subjugated by White Imperialists, yes, but no Australia or USA etc.

Last edited:

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
I agree with your main sentiment, Vermehlo, however you are being very misleading in your title here. It is in no way racism to condemn those who treat women in such a barbaric fashion, because we would have the exact same reaction if those acts were carried out by whites/blacks/asians etc. etc.

However yes, we do indeed have the right, nay, the duty to try and change the way such people and nations treat women, so long as we do so through moral and legal means. There is no greater hypocrisy than abandoning ones morals in order to force morality on another.

GalladeX

I agree with your main sentiment, Vermehlo, however you are being very misleading in your title here. It is in no way racism to condemn those who treat women in such a barbaric fashion, because we would have the exact same reaction if those acts were carried out by whites/blacks/asians etc. etc.

However yes, we do indeed have the right, nay, the duty to try and change the way such people and nations treat women, so long as we do so through moral and legal means. There is no greater hypocrisy than abandoning ones morals in order to force morality on another.

Wise words by the turtle named Tim.
Ironically enough, people always fight to achieve peace.
If we give up on our morals, and fight those people to force our views upon them, are we no better than said people before?
So...instead of barbaricaly running in there with machine guns, why don't we peacefully try to change their views, even a little?

The smallest change with peace is better than the largest intention with war.

jefferies

Well racism is often used as an umbrella term and isn't really applicable here, racism is an irrational hatred for another race and a belief that one's own race is genetically superior. However disliking another group of people due to their abuse of basic human rights is not racist as this is rational provided of course you tolerate their beliefs and culture where there is no infringement of human rights and human liberties. You should tolerate all that you disagree with provided there are no victims, not tolerating something like Islam because you believe the religion is factual wrong as opposed to morally wrong is ludicrous and quite simply repugnant.
However, it should be remembered that all of this is taken from a western point of view and this may breed some misplaced empathy. To the point concerning rape within marriage of course this should not be tolerated, however this is born out of a belief that men should be authorative figures in the family unit and females their subordinates. Whilst I disagree with this entirely and do protest it's full extent shown in the example of rape within marriage. I cannot say that a women should not have such a position in the family unit if she willingly opts for a hierarchal system, provided their are no direct violation of basic human rights and she still has the choice whenever she wants to refuse her husband. In short, intolerance=bad apart from when a group advocate the abuse of basic liberties and people do not have the option of opting out of the system.

Last edited:

ZarraWolf

Well, you have no right to complain, you immigrant, as Europeans displaced and destroyed the Neantherdals.
Plus, who was it who invaded these countries Zarra? oh, thats right, EUROPEANS!!1!

Anyway the countries of the USA, Australia, those in the Americas and other former colonies were created by Westerners. There was no country Australia or the USA before Britain. Indigenous countries/societies who were destroyed and cruelly subjugated by White Imperialists, yes, but no Australia or USA etc.

I'm not complaining. Am I saying that I am against immigration? I actually think it's very good for the species to mix new races with the existing ones. Both culturally as genetically. I also have no problems with the recent increase of Muslims in my county. I personally don't dislike Islam any more then Christianity, so I'm not bothered by the fact that we have a lot of Muslim immigrants.

The countries might not have been named the same, but that doesn't take away the fact that the white people living there are descendants from immigrants.

Last edited:

RaRe

WSUP
In my opinion, you should not be prejudice against anyone. People have their right to their customs and beliefs, ALTHOUGH I think the point of acceptability occurs when it infringes on other people's rights. Rape has NO excuse whatsoever, I don't care who you are. That's how I was raised, skin color doesn't matter, religion doesn't matter, customs don't matter, because every single person in the world has their right to what they do as long as they don't break into other people's. So again, we should ALL tolerate them as they should tolerate us. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

DarkRidley

Deals and Issues
Provided the means of resolving problems of cross-cultural sexism, racism, etc. are legal and just, I have no problem with it. Being tolerant of other cultures is different from being submissive to whatever oppressive practices they might have. It's a genuine problem in my eyes. Just look at the legally binding Sharia courts operating in Britain.

Yeah it totally got my attention.
Not only people are diverse, that also goes with the animal kingdom and they learn to accept what goes on around them. As humans, we can accept strange animals and not discriminate them, but it's a little easy for humans to discriminate another fellow human as well.

Its kind of like that. ;/ What I'm trying to say, if someone is different. Get over it. If someone's traditional way is different and you don't like it, get over it.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
What I'm trying to say, if someone is different. Get over it. If someone's traditional way is different and you don't like it, get over it.
But we're not just talking about different here, we're talking about cultures that we view as morally abhorent. If we wish to remain consistent in our moral approach and beliefs then we must take steps to try and infuence other cultures into being more in line with our way of thinking.