• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

-Raiga-'s sprites

What do you think of my skill as a spriter.

• Total voters

-Raiga-

However, there are a few things. As you said the hind leg seems a bit off, maybe make the belly cover it up a bit (like extend the line defining the belly over the top-left portion of the leg.)

Also, the outline color for the white is really bright. Not your fault since you are using official colors, but perhaps make a dark brown or something for the white areas, because it looks odd going from a pale-gold to black.

Actually, I made all of the colors myself, so I take full responsibility for that. Outlines have always been my worst area.

Also, on the red whisker, there is a black line that we see connects it to the face. It looks... not good. You could erase it all together and we would still know that it is connected to the face by looking at the blue one and making the conenction.

5_poke_mix_sprite3210758052-iaza.gif

I have changed everything you to what you said and a does look quite a bit more decent. I also smoothed out the curve on the bottom of the chest. The outline colors look a lot better now, I just kept some black in the darker areas as I wanted to keep the traditional pokemon style.

-Raiga-

Here is the animated version I just made simply out of boredom. I do think the tail is a bit out of proportion or the shading is off or somthing, but its not that big of a deal.

Toge_animation3993173816-iaza.gif

Killer_Squirtle

Follow my lead!
Pixel-overs are hands down ur best work, but scratching could use some more love.
I found the super saiyen Lickitung hilarious and That cloyster warrior thing is sooooo BA

-Raiga-

Pixel-overs are hands down ur best work, but scratching could use some more love.
I found the super saiyan Lickitung hilarious and That cloyster warrior thing is sooooo BA

Thanks a lot! By the way, by "scratching could use some love", do you mean my scratching could use some more work, or just to make more scratches? Since if its the first, I pretty much make my pixel overs the same and my scratches so I would find that a bit odd, but I suppose I'll wait to find out what you meant first.

Here is my latest entry for the WSC: Mightyena flying retype/

Mightyena_retype7110473264-iaza.gif

I really wanted to make this one a truly amazing entry that could possibly win, but I just don't have the skills to right now. My original goal was a bit odd, and that was to have sort of thin red lines coming out of each of his claws, almost as if he flew by tearing through different dimensions. Unfortuately every time I tried to do it the lines looked extremely ugly and didn't go with the color combo so I gave up on that. However I do intend to come back to it someday.

While I feel a bit down in spirits as far as the sprite goes, if anyone does have any comments on how to improve the sprite please tell me. Due to me giving up halfway there are quite a few things I know I didn't finish, like the shading on the clouds and the line coloring. I also realize he looks a bit fat, which in the original linework before I added the clouds he wasn't, but the clouds block the top half of him so I assume thats why he looks so chubby.

-Raiga-

Lately I've been getting pretty annoyed by the fact that many of the spriters I had seen start spriting have already completely passed me and are on completely different level. I especially realized it when I seen a new spriter recently on the forums with some scratch sprites that were above the level of any of the current spriters on the forums.

So as any good spriter would do I looked at all of the hgss sprites and tried to figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong. However that didn't really do anything but confuse me, and I still couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. As I made that really crappy mightyena in the previous post I thought I thought I did a great job with it. However looking at it later I still didn't neccesarily realize the mistakes I made in it, but I did notice it looked bad.

Finally I came to the conclusion that I think I get so into making the sprite zoomed in that even if it looks absolutely perfect then, its the goal of the spriter to make it so zoomed out someone playing the game won't even question what it looks like. Which I usually take a break and look at the sprite zoomed out later, but I think the thought of it zoomed in sort of overrides that in my mind.

So ANYWAYS, now that I'm done with my useless paragraphs I provide all the time, here is the sprite I've been trying to remake since working on linework.

The_improved_bat3207368757-iaza.gif

Old on left, new on right.

If there has ever been a time where I wanted people to comment it is certainly now. As an added bonus, if you have a sprite thread that you use now, I'll critique your latest sprite/sprites. I'm doing this because obviously its hard to get critiques here for anyone other than the beginners, so I fiure its a deal the works for both sides.

Heres what I want help most on-
The eye - I changed it from the older sprite, but I'm unsure of the expresion and spriting of it.
HIS left wing - I was ables to fix up the right wing decently, but his left wing linework needs some work.
Shading - I've revamped it quite a bit(different styles, but still a major upgrade), however a few areas might need some work like around his left shoulder and his head.

Of course those are just ideas, ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yami Ryu

Attempted to help.

umye.png

Since it's easier than trying to explain how you should color it pixel by pixel. Changed the right wing shading a bit or left wing or whatever. Our left wing. And the head/neck shading.

>_o not sure about the wing but the neck/head looks a bit better imo.

-Raiga-

Attempted to help.

umye.png

Since it's easier than trying to explain how you should color it pixel by pixel. Changed the right wing shading a bit or left wing or whatever. Our left wing. And the head/neck shading.

>_o not sure about the wing but the neck/head looks a bit better imo.

Thank you very much! I agree about the head/neck shading, that was what I was thinking needed to be done, but it looks much better the way you illustrated it.

The wing shading I do find odd as you mentioned. I think the reason is because the way you have it shaded it makes the wing appear convex, where I picture it as being more concave similar to the zubat line. However I think it might be the light source that could be confusing you, as I have the back side of his wing lit, so you may have thought I had the light from the northwest not hitting past his wing. Its not necessarily easy to explain, but I can make an example should you not understand.

However I think it could just be our differing ideas on where the light source hits.

Regardless, thanks for the tips on the neck/head, I'll be sure to incorporate it in the sprite tomorrow when I have more time.

If anyone else could please put their input in also it would be very helpful.

Yami Ryu

Not just differing ideas as to where the light source is...

I just suck at coloring wings 8D

I think using Zubat or Aerodactyl or HOWEVER IT IS SPELT would be for the best then, then atleast one of us would know what to do.

I mean the sprite since we're both clueless D:

-Raiga-

Not just differing ideas as to where the light source is...

I just suck at coloring wings 8D

I think using Zubat or Aerodactyl or HOWEVER IT IS SPELT would be for the best then, then atleast one of us would know what to do.

I mean the sprite since we're both clueless D:

Yeah, I'll probably just keep it as is, but I may change it to more like Aerodactyl's later. Also I'll be sure to comment in your thread whenever you get a new sprite up.

Newest version, which is really just my version of the one Yami showed, and I shaved a few pixels off his right wing where it connects to the belly since I had the darkest shade and black right next to each other. Which, obviously looked a little too dark.

Even_more_improved_bat5021037485-ia.gif

-Raiga-

Spritehelp.png

I'm looking for some help with this one. Its the same sprite I used for the WSC Zombie edition, but its before I added any of the crappy zombie parts.

The main problem I'm having with it is the legs, They seem WAY too close to the body, almost ignoring that middle skinny abdomen of his. I've tried making it smaller to show the perspective but it looks odd, but I think its what I have to do.

So basically if anyone can show me(which is why I put the line art up, as changing that will be easier), or tell me, how to fix the leg problem while KEEPING THE SAME PERSPECTIVE, I would be very grateful.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*

Ok, first of all, I would like to say sorry for the crit I gave on some elses sprite thread. It was crap, and had I had just come out of an op, so I had no idea what the hell I was doing.
Must have been hell for you to read it.
Anyways, This example I did might help you.
(Highlighted in red!)
http://i48.*******.com/v6llq9.png
Obviously, bieng then a better spriter, you may have done the legs differently, but I think colored in it would look quite good. I moved the right foot down, and add a bit of leg, and making, I suppose 'thigh' smaller.
The perspective is hard to work with, but I think you've actually done a pretty darn good job.

Also, you first work is amazing! The pixel overs are brillant, I never seen them so detailed! Love 'im.

Hopefully, I didnt put rubbish advice this time.

Shadow Silver

I am awsuhm
the chuck is from chuck norris!!!!!!!!! i thinkz lolz you scratched alot i can tell and it looks awesome! (entei snorlax), fakemonz are great, so are animations recolors and all that yadda yadda etc. your jsut great, and i just went from critic to spammer :p

-Raiga-

Ok, first of all, I would like to say sorry for the crit I gave on some elses sprite thread. It was crap, and had I had just come out of an op, so I had no idea what the hell I was doing.
Must have been hell for you to read it.
Anyways, This example I did might help you.
(Highlighted in red!)
http://i48.*******.com/v6llq9.png
Obviously, bieng then a better spriter, you may have done the legs differently, but I think colored in it would look quite good. I moved the right foot down, and add a bit of leg, and making, I suppose 'thigh' smaller.
The perspective is hard to work with, but I think you've actually done a pretty darn good job.

Also, you first work is amazing! The pixel overs are brillant, I never seen them so detailed! Love 'im.

Hopefully, I didnt put rubbish advice this time.

Sorry for not responding to this before, I thought my thread just fell off the page without anyone responding to it. Oh, and sorry if I said any harsh words before, its just I know there are a LOT of stubborn people in the fan sprites section that won't learn if I'm not harsh.

To be honest I think the example you have changes the perspective a bit. Because the perspective I was going for was almost from the very top down, but a little less than that. I think If I were to use yours, given that you show so much of the legs, that I would have to show more of the torso as well. However its given me an idea on what I need to do, and thanks a lot as most people never go as far as to show an example.

And thanks for the compliments as well.

Thanks for the kind words shadow Silver, and don't worry, while I sometimes badger people for not putting any real criticism, I don't think any spriter hates hearing something like this:)

-Raiga-

Super_Ursaring1339634005-iaza.gif

A new sprite I made. Keep in mind that it is a WIP, but that doesn't mean you can't crit everything on it. The only thing I don't need to hear is anything about the claws, as I have touched those at all and are just place there quickly, but everything else is fair game.

Also, Ursaring is suppose to be slashing with his right arm, but I'll have change it a bit more to get the motion correct.

Ryubane

Why yes, it exists
These are all really very good. I don't see what everyone's on about the Snorlax/Entei one for, but I don't have any problems with it. Your fusions are all great.

I do have a few problems with the pixel-overs though. There's not nearly enough shading on the Mamoswine as there needs to be, and Sudowoodo's outlines are all mostly black, which is not desirable in a pixel-over. However, Sudowoodo's shading is very nice and contrasting, which I like. Just put a few more shades and highlights on that Mamoswine, especially on the light tan fur around the nose and some around the "mask" that goes around the eyes.

Other than that, you sure do have some great talent as a spriter and I can't wait to see what else you can make.

-Raiga-

These are all really very good. I don't see what everyone's on about the Snorlax/Entei one for, but I don't have any problems with it. Your fusions are all great.

I think the reason for this is back when I made this sprite 2-4 years ago, there were really only two types of spriters, really good ones, or really crappy ones. Of course the inexperienced ones outnumbered the good ones, and I assume because the sprite was good for the time, thats why people liked it.

I do have a few problems with the pixel-overs though. There's not nearly enough shading on the Mamoswine as there needs to be, and Sudowoodo's outlines are all mostly black, which is not desirable in a pixel-over. However, Sudowoodo's shading is very nice and contrasting, which I like. Just put a few more shades and highlights on that Mamoswine, especially on the light tan fur around the nose and some around the "mask" that goes around the eyes.

As mentioned in my post about the mamoswine, the shading that was there was just copied from the orgininal picture. However at the time I did intend to reshade it, but I'll be honest I probably never will.

And I know what you mean about the sudowoodo, I noticed after it went into the poll just how bad the outline was. I'm thinking of fixing up all of my sprites in the new section up to my current ability, so that should be an easy fix.

Other than that, you sure do have some great talent as a spriter and I can't wait to see what else you can make.

Thanks, I guess I'll see what I can do, but as of right now I think I'm at a standstill for improving.

Last edited:

-Raiga-

First update in a quite a while. Too bad I still really need vast improvement in spriting, because I've come up with some decent fakemon designs.

beldumanimationwhiteout.gif

iaza13174454214900.gif

Cottediiwhiteout.gif

Egretdudewhiteout.gif

Beldum-Just a sketch, but turned out decent.

Beldum bug retype-For WSC 106

Cottedii-fakemon based on teddybear's inner cotton, and a cotton plant
itself. Yes his neck is screwed up in one frame.

Gretemp-Based on how an egret's neck looks like pipes you'd find in you're house. The back is a kitched sink, and when it uses a fire or water type move, it will change form and its type accordingly. I just don't have the forms made yet.

Miss Alexis

Event Collector :)
Really good, don't see much else to improve on.
Your pixel overs are amayzinly done, especially the mamoswine one :) well done! Also the latias and latios ones, how it looks all blotchy is very well done!
Your sprites are well creative and created, I really liked the party sprites as well as the entei recolored snorlax sprite, that one is very creative and cool!
The lickitonge goku sprite also caught my eye, that is too, very well made :)

-Raiga-

Thanks for all the kind words Asmoday, it means a lot.

Here is a new fakemon, Glapel, the apple gladiator pokemon.

Glappleanimationwhiteout.gif

I didn't go with my usual four frame animation because thats a lot more fast paced than an apple, even with legs like this one, would be going at.

-Raiga-

Evo of ^

cencorrewhiteout.gif

Based on a centaur, apple core, and a knight. Any crit is greatly appreciated.

And ignore the stray white pixel.

Edit:And an updated version of cotteddi(animation-wise).

Newcottediiwhiteout.gif

Last edited: