• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Raikou, Entei, Suicune; Legendary Cats or Dogs?

Entei, Raikou, Suicune; Legendary Cats or Dogs?

• Cats

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • Dogs

Votes: 55 39.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 36.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
To me they look like felids.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
working by silver, the show and the movie i've alwasy known them to be legendary dog pokemon, but Legendary beast pokemon suit's them well either way. as far as folklore/mythology go's, there name's and idea's were based off of the shinto god's, (suicine) fujin, (raikou) raijin, (entei) Ninigi-no-Mikoto, (lugia) Susanoo-no-Mikoto, (ho-oh) Amaterasu-Ō-Mi-Kami

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Cats, unfortunately because of the way they look. Entei's definately a lion. Raiku's a sabre-tooth. Only Suicune is a wolf.

KKInu

Neither.

Beasts really is the right word for them

Raikou is almost completely feline what with the tiger-like stripes and the saber-toothed teeth evocative of a sumillodon, Entei looks like a composite of a lion and an english mastiff dog, and Suicune looks like a maned wolf or a painted hunting dog or something.

this argument is really trivial and people are forever gonna fight over it.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
^I agree with him/her, each is a mix of both.

I prefer to think of them as dogs.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
They are supposed to be cats i.e.
Raikou: Saber Toothed Cat (or the incorrectly spoken Saber Toothed "tiger"...It does have stripes!)
Entei: Lion
Suicune: Leopard or Cheetah
However (IMO) saying "Legendary Cats" sounds weird and "Legendary Dogs" sounds correct, so the easiest way to say it is "Legendary Beasts"

Snicker

The Grinning One
Oboy... xD I must've seen a KAZILLION of these threads on pokemon boards over the years...I suppose I should've seen it coming here too. x3

They're cats, but people call them dogs. There ya go. (^-^)y

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Lions and tigers and cheetahs - oh my!

They're mammals, you can call them whichever you want. To me, they're cats. Meow!

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
I've settled on Legendary Beasts. It makes them sound more epic and all around legendary. Entei seems very lion-like in the head, but more dog-like in the body (especially legs/feet). Raikou is quite obviously a tiger. And Suicune has always reminded me of a horse, but I can't place my finger on why...

Legendary Beasts. ThEnd.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Would the same question apply for Eevee and his Eeveelutions? Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Umbreon are all dog/fox-like but the other three, well, they are a bit too Cat-like. Espeon looks like a Siamese or something, Leafeon looks like some type of Lioness and God-knows what type of Cat Glaceon is.

Mastavida

Raikou and Entei seem to fit better as "cats" but Suicune is definately more dog-like. I just call them the Legendary Beasts.

Mudkipz_Lover

Snivy & Mudkips Rule
They're probably beasts of some sort. That's what all Pokemon are. They are something that's not exactly anything. ;)

octoboy

I Crush Everything
They are the legendary beasts. Settled.

Simply put, they have characteristics of both, more or less so depending on the pokemon. Raikou's clearly at least part tiger, but suicune looks nothing like any sort of feline, and is more wolflike in appearance. Entei just looks like a large carniore that doesn't resemble anything in particular.

The only reason there are arguments about this is because there are dog lovers and cat lovers that back up one side of reason and aggressively argue against all other trains of reason. Cue aggressive flame war.

But whether they were meant to look like felines or canines or whatever, they're clearly all big animals of some sort, so I believe the term legendary beasts applies perfectly. There's no way of disputing that.

Weakling

Fragile
A mixture. Raikou is definitely feline, clearly a tiger. But Suicune is more canine-looking.

You can't group them as either dogs or cats.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I went for Beasts. IMO: Raikou is a Sabretooth. Entei looks like a Lion/Mastiff mix as has been said already. Suicune is a Wolf.
1 and a half to dogs and cats each, if you will, so Beast it is!
Having said that, I refer to the as the Legendary Dogs in my head, becasuse that's what we called them when we were kids.

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
They're The three Legendary beasts, Entei looks like a lion, Suicune like a wolf and Raikou is just plain weird, basically they're mixtures of feline and canine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.