• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rain Dance [OU]

Drybones446

That Photography Guy
Hi.
Introductions are unnecessary. The team itself is what the people are looking for. Not a pre-team speech.

Without further ado:

487.png
272.png
385.png
212.png
211.png
230.png

487.png

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Rain Dance
-Explosion

Azelf is the perfect Rain lead. It doesn't give away that you're using a Rain team, and in 4 moves it can get your momentum going. It only loses out to Aerodactyl and Empoleon, which aren't too common to make me worry. Stealth Rock is my priority, as it can get my sweepers more KOes.

272.png

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Timid
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
-Rain Dance
-Surf
-Grass Knot
-Ice Beam / HP Electric

Ludicolo is probably the best Rain special sweeper. With great coverage in three moves, almost nothing gets in its way while Rain is up. Surf is for STAB. I chose Surf over Hydro Pump because Rain boosts Surf enough anyway. Grass Knot is chosen over Energy Ball because I don't find Vaporeon a problem for my team. Ice Beam is the move I currently use, for Dragons, but HP Electric starts to get my attention, just because of Empoleon. 32 EVs is a LO number, allowing me to use LO for 11 times, instead of the regular 10. 252 SpA is for power. Timid and 224 Speed EVs are enough to outspeed some common Scarfers / Agility-users / Dragon Dancers in rain. Examples are Scarf Starmie and Latias.

385.png

Jirachi @ Damp Rock
Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 76 SpA / 180 Spe
-Rain Dance
-Wish
-Water Pulse
-Thunder

Jirachi is my Rain replenisher. Wish lets me heal my probably weakened sweepers, as well as itself. Water Pulse and Thunder mixes well with Rain and Serene Grace, as with Rain, Thunder gets 100% accuracy, and Water Pulse gets a pseudo-STAB boost. Serene Grace lets me confuse / paralyze my opponents 60% of the time with Water Pulse and Thunder, respectively. 252 HP is for general bulk, 180 Speed EVs and a Timid nature lets me outrun Pokemon that try to outrun Jolly Lucario, such as Zapdos and Gliscor. 76 EVs were dumped to Special Attack to give more power to my attacks.

212.png

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 SpD
-Rain Dance
-Roost
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch

Scizor is a useful Pokemon in Rain teams, being able to check threats such as Tyranitar, and replenishing rain at the same time. This spread (credits to Rhys29) makes Scizor decently bulky, as well as allowing it to 2HKO Pokemon such as Salamence and Tyranitar with Bullet Punch.

211.png

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Waterfall
-Poison Jab
-Explosion

Qwilfish is a monstrously powerful physical powerhouse. With a Swords Dance in its belt, Waterfall in Rain + Poison Jab can 2HKO the majority of the OU tier, at the very least. These 2 moves provide surprisingly great coverage. Once its done its job (KOing Celebi / non-Bulky Suicune / Vaporeon), a Swords Danced Explosion brings a Pokemon down to the Grim Reaper. Only Ghosts can safely switch in to the terror of a +2 Explosion.

230.png

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Naive
EVs: 120 Atk / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
-HP Electric
-Waterfall
-Hydro Pump
-Draco Meteor

You won't see an OU Rain team without this babe. Mixed Kingdra rips through most walls with its powerful attacks. Waterfall is my physical STAB move. It crushes Specially Defensive Pokemon such as Blissey. Hydro Pump blasts through Bronzong / Skarmory / etc., while Draco Meteor pummels Latias to the ground. 136 Speed and a Naive Nature lets me outrun Timid Scarf Latias in Rain. 252 SpA gives it loads of power, and 120 Atk are leftovers, but they also allow me to 2HKO standard Blissey with Waterfall.

MINI - THREAT LIST
Red means its a highly dangerous Pokemon.
Purple means it can be worked around with.
Blue means it can be worked around ONLY WITH RAIN UP.
Green means its not a threat ONLY WITH RAIN UP.
Yellow means its only a mild threat, with or without Rain.
White means its not a threat :).

Empoleon
:
Leads are very dangerous. It forces me to explode on Turn 1, but if it isn't the lead, non-Agility SubPetaya Empoleon can be worked around with by predicting its moves, and hopefully get a KO with Jirachi's Thunder.
Gyarados: Not a threat with Rain up.
Latias: Scizor without Rain, Qwilfish and Kingdra with rain.
Scizor: Sets that have Quick Attack can be a pain to my sweepers, but only a mild thread with Jirachi up.
Tyranitar: Life Orb sets are the most dangerous, but they can be worked around with. If Qwilfish has a SD up, it can KO with Waterfall.
Starmie: It can outspeed everyone of my team without Rain, but if I have Rain, I outspeed it and can KO with anyone of my sweepers.

Last edited:

Channy13

Water Vamp Trainer
what about abilities?
i take it your Ludicolo and Kingdra have swift swim yeh?

yee

this is a very solid rain dance team, ive been using rain exclusively for months and have made tons of custom sets for rain dancers. There are only a couple small problems, ice beam>>>>>>> hp electric on ludicolo. grass knot destroys gyarados anyway while energy ball will easily 2hko after stealth rock. For kingdra id recommend dragon pulse over draco meteor so you can actually get water+dragon coverage without worrying if you wasted your one shot. With a speed boosting nature and stealth rock its superior because it ohkoes latias with stealth rock. The evs should defenitely be changed if youre running naive, ADJUST THE SPEED SO OTHER KINGDRA DONT KILL YOU! just 24 more evs i think. another small thing send kingdra out first (im assuming youve been using ludicolo early) so latias/blissey come in and get koed, making it WAY easier for qwilfish and ludicolo to sweep.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Generally on a rain dance team, you only need three dancers especially if your fourth is a scizor. Kingdra propbably does better with a move like substitute or outrage instead of HP electric.