• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rain Team

Blahboy

WHEEL OF MUCUS!
I've been wanting to go into competitive battling for some time, and one team I have had in my head for some time is a rain team. Feel free to suggest any changes.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Sa, 252 Sp, 4 HP
Nature:Modest
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power {Grass}

Your standard Lead SpecsToed. No reason to explain why she's on the team. I chose Specs because Scarf would allow Nintales Drought to be put up instead of Drizzle.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Evs: 252 Hp, 60 Df, 196 Sd
Nature: Sassy
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

The Ferrothorn that everyone knows. I think it's self-explanatory, it does what Ferrothorn does with the rain to help it survive Fire.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
Evs: 252 Hp, 252 Sd, 4 Df
Nature: Calm
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Scald
-Acid Spray

Another standard Pokemon, except for the fact that this uses Tentacruel's hidden ability Rain Dish, which is like an extra leftovers. That's just great. Scald may seem dumb when I'm setting up Toxic Spikes, but it allows me to burn things such as Scizor, Escavalier, Excadrill, and fliers like Landorus and Staraptor.

Toxicroak @ Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
Evs: 252 At, 232 Sp, 24 Hp
Nature: Jolly
-Focus Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Substitute
-Ice Punch

Yep, it's the SubPunch set. It's really good for doing some physical damage and can last quite a while.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Evs: 252 At, 252 Sp, 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Protect

A purely physical Sharpedo. I protect if I feel like I need to, then proceed to sweep. I use purely physical because I don't think slapping on Rash or Mild nature just to give me a pretty strong Hydro Pump that will miss like crazy when I can use Adament Waterfall that can make the enemy flinch, and I find my type coverage sufficient with dual STAB and EQ.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Evs: 232 HP, 252 Sd, 24 Df
Nature: Careful
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance
-Iron Defense
-Bullet Punch

This last spot was originally a Bulky Landorus, but while typing this up I thought of Baton Passing Scizor and realized it fit greatly into my team. Only one 2X weakness that half the team resists and geat bulk mean that this Scizor can easily set up and pass Swords Dances to Toxicroak, Sharpedo, and even Ferrothorn and Iron Defenses to the whole team. Bullet Punch to ensure I'm not taunt bait.

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
I've been wanting to go into competitive battling for some time, and one team I have had in my head for some time is a rain team. Feel free to suggest any changes.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Nature:Modest
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power {Grass}

Great No Changes here

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Evs: 252 Hp, 60 Df, 196 Sd
Nature: Sassy
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

AGAIN, no changes required, i love this set

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
Evs: 252 Hp, 252 Sd, 4 Df
Nature: Calm
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Scald
-Hex/Venomshock

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
Evs: 252 At, 232 Sp, 24 Hp
Nature: Jolly
-Focus Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Substitute
-Ice Punch

Yep, it's the SubPunch set. It's really good for doing some physical damage and can last quite a while.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Evs: 252 At, 252 Sp, 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Protect

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Evs: 232 HP, 252 Sd, 24 Df
Nature: Careful
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance
-Aglity/U-Turn/Superpower
-Bullet Punch

changes in bold, explantions BELOW

Hex hits pokemon that block rapid spin(dusknor/clops/sprittomb, e.t.c) and with a status prom, power is doubled. Vemonshock goes great with TS, doubling in power when the opponent poisoned

On Toxicroak, black sludge can hurt the oppo if Tricked, since it only heals pokes that are poisoned/everything else is hurt by it. Life Orb is for power.

And on Scizor, you can pass along speed, which goes great with the pokes your using, or use a secondary STAB attack or Superpower for Steel types

Well, this Team gets walled by

Skarmory
Ferrothorn
Forretress

Yeah....., and since 1 out of 3 teams run Ferrothorn, idk if this should be a rain team. Im not saying make this a sun team, but you may need a fire counter on your team Try this

infernape_animated_sprite_by_phanthomking-d36qz0o.gif

Infernape@Life Orb
Timid
Blaze
252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 Sp.Def

Fire Blast
Grass Knot
Vaccum Wave/Hp Fight/Focus Blast
Nasty Plot

Ok, A 4th Gen Nasty Plot set. Fire Blast in rain is 2HKO (Assuming, you dont have any layers of spikes)on Ferro after 1 layer of spikes, you have a 59% chance of a OHKO. After 2 layers, all the threads above, except skarm, is out on 1 fire blast :) Grass Knot is for Suicune,Swampert, Quagsire, and others. And Vaccume Wave is Priority STAB, Hp Fight is a weaker Focus Blast but is more reliable due to accuracy

Well, hope you enjoyed reading this, im working on a VGC team building guide as we speak :)

IM trying to become a certified rater, so please rate this rate

Cromith

Come at me, bro
Something I've been running on my rain team you might wanna try...

Galvantula @ Life Orb
252 SpA 252 Spe 4 HP
Compound Eyes
Timid
-Hidden Power (Water)
-Bug Buzz
-Thunder
-Thunderbolt/Volt Switch

Great on a rain team because Hidden Power (Water) covers its 2 weaknesses (Rock and Fire) while it also gets a +50% boost from the rain. You can also run Choice Specs if you like it more than Life orb. The only problem with it is that its not very bulky so it relies on its speed. Thunderbolt or Volt switch can also be any move you feel more comfortable running since Thunder has a base 100 accuracy because of compound eyes.

Regiultima

Rises with Magnetism
Adding on to what DragonMaster123 said, I think Tentacruel should also be holding Black Sludge for the same reason Toxicroak enjoys it (assuming you aren't playing with the item clause).

Blahboy

WHEEL OF MUCUS!
For Tentacruel, I think that will work. I'll probably alternate between Hex and Venoshock until I decide which is more useful. And I do have to say, that idea with Hex is a good one. I never would have thought of that. (I wonder why they even gave Tentacruel Hex. It doesn't even fit with Hex's Japanese name Evil Eye.)

For Toxicroak, I guess, but the main reason why people use leftovers instead of Black Sludge is to prevent the enemy from Tricking the Black Sludge onto another team member. I wouldn't want that to happen to Ferrothorn.

For Scizor, the only pokemon that would really appreciate it would be Politoed and Toxicroak. Tentacruel wouldn't really care, Ferrothorn doesn't want it at all, and Sharpedo already has Speed Boost. Even though instant speed would be nice, that's why I have protect. I will pass on U-turn/Superpower.

On Forretress, it really can't to anything to Ferro and won't like Hydro Pumps from Toed and Scalds from Cruel. Not that big of a problem to me.

For Skarmory, it's not going to want to Brave Bird Ferrothorn all day and I don't care about Whirlwind. My team except for Scizor and Toxicroak doesn't really care.

Ferrothorn... Ok, you got me there. That's a problem. My team can't do much. My best bet is Toxicroak, his Focus Punch will do a lot and Croak can restore the Iron Barbs damage with Lefties and Dry Skin. But otherwise I'm hopeless. And as you mentioned, Ferrothorn is as common as oxygen. But I'm not sure about the Infernape. If I wasn't facing something to use Fire Blast or Grass Knot on, I'd have to use Vaccum Wave(weak), Hidden Power(also pretty weak), and Focus Blast(misses like crazy). And who would I replace? The Smartest choice would be Croak, and he's also a great counter and works much better on the team. I will have to ponder on this dilemma.

Off-topic: Dang my friend and sister for causing me to take an hour on this!

Delicious(Off-topic.2): Mac and cheese.

Last edited:

Spacial Rend

Ultra Trainer
I think a bulky Ghost type would be good because of the fact that every entry hazard in the game is somewhere on the team. Then, at least a Pokemon would be able block Rapid Spin.

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
There are VERY few flaws in your team.... it's just obvious. The advanced veterans will look at you Politoad Lead and say, "It knows Hydro Pump, Focus Blast, Ice Beam, and Hidden Power, Grass." It is a very obvious choice, and I thought you could go with a defensive lead:

Registeel@Leftovers
Clear Body
Sturdy Body, Relaxed
252 Defense/252 Sp. Defense
Iron Defense, Amnesia,
Flash Cannon, Earthquake/Ice Punch/Aerial Ace

A great wall to any Weather Team. The very first thing you want to do is set up your wall- Iron Defense and Amnesia will sharply boost your Defense and Sp. Defense, and with Clear Body, the foes will not be able to lower your stats, which mean your Defenses will be unscathed. Flash Cannon will be a move to add stab and take out any Abomasnow you might encounter-they will ruin your playing style, especially paired with another Pokemon with Hail, waiting for their turn. Finally, got with a move that will save your team from Electric types(Especially Electivire and Zebstrika)- Earthquake, or Ice Punch/Aerial Ace to defend against Grass foes.

Wow, that may be the best strategy I ever made. Take Registeel into consideration.

Cromith

Come at me, bro
I don't think a defensive lead goes well in a weather team. Usually you want something aggressive because if your opponent sends out a different weather starter you'll want to kill it off first so you don't have to worry about it switching in and ruining your plans late game. Although, if a defensive lead had rain dance, that might be a little different.