• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Random Encounters v2

Random Encounters

• Keep them as they are

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • WE NEED CHANGE

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • What Random Encounters? I don't play RPGs.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Alright, since my last version of this had poll choices that were far, far, far too vague, I'm remaking this.

Now, to copy and paste the original post...

BlitzBlast said:
So, what's your opinion of Random Encounters? Do you think that they should stay, or that they should be replaced with the somewhat new "you can see the enemies on the map" system?

Personally, after running around for hours looking for SP bosses on my Megaman Star Force games and playing Skies of Arcadia, I'm pretty much sick of the system.

And just in case anyone decides to comment on this, no this poll isn't going to change anything, but I just want to see what everyone else feels about it.

fhqwhgads

Seeing them means you can avoid them.

Actually, Pokemon has a pretty good system with this. It's got random encounters in certain portions. That's a strong balance.

Slick

Banned
Just 'cos I caught you out eh?

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
I think games like Earthbound and Mother 3 have the best system, though Pokémon has one of the more enjoyable mixes of fixed-unavoidable-non-boss-battles and random encounters.

I agree Pokemon is one of the better ones, especially seeing as places like caves have them on all tiles. I also like the way Chrono Trigger handled the battles, though that was thanks to the unique style of the battles, as well.

Personally, I think it all depends on the difficulty curve. If it's to be a difficult game, keep random encounters in. If it's to be a slightly more easy game, make the encounters easier to see. That's typically what I've seen in RPGs these days.

Rakurai

I don't mind random encounters, so long as there's some method of preventing or reducing them later in the game.

It just gets annoying to have to keep dealing with weak creatures when you need to pass through a previously explored area.