• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Random Matchup Single Team

Reshiram337

Leader of DEFHA
I have my first ever created wifi team and I want it rated (and you know where it goes)

This team was created for the sole purpose of Random Matchup single battles, only 3 pokemon can enter unfortunately.

My Pokemon Team (Trick Room Team)

+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Escavalier
Nature: Brave
Ability: Swarm
Item: Chesto Berry
EV: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def

Moves
---------------
Megahorn
Iron Head
Swords Dance (Decided to replace Pursuit with Swords Dance to physical sweep, thank you Ninja Dewott :) )
Rest

+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Porygon2
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Trace
Item: Eviolite
EV: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Def

Moves
---------------
Trick Room
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover

+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Chandelure
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Life Orb
EV: 252 HP/252 SpA/4SpD

Moves
---------------
Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
Hidden Power (ICE)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is supposed to be a trick room team, and I really need it checked and rated to determine if it needs any improvements. This is for random matchup, and slowly evolving into a complete competitive team.

Chandelure has replaced Gigalith in this TR team, due to the need of a special sweeper as suggested by most that replied to this thread. Thank you all :)

Last edited:

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
I have my first ever created wifi team and I want it rated (and you know where it goes)

This team was created for the sole purpose of Random Matchup single battles, only 3 pokemon can enter unfortunately.

+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Escavalier
Item: Focus Sash

Moves
---------------
Megahorn
Iron Head
Swords Dance
Counter

In Random Matchup, hazards are very rare, which leaves room fo this Escavalier to come in and either a) Counter a strong physical attack (in yo face, Darmanitan) or b) SD and sweep

+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Porygon2
Ability: Trace
EV: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Def

Moves
---------------
Trick Room
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover

Goood

+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Gigalith
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Normal Gem
EV: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD

Moves
---------------
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Protect
Explosion
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is supposed to be a trick room team, and I really need it checked and rated to determine if it needs any improvements. This is for random matchup

To be honest, Gigalith is a bit poo. Also, I'd reccomend a special TR sweeper, so you're not walled by physical walls. I suggest the following:

Chandelure @ Life Orb/Choice Specs/Macho Brace
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Psychic/HP Ice/Trick Room

Chandelure not only gives excellent synergy with Escavalier, but also a strong special sweeper who's main flaw (its mediocre speed) nullfied by TR. Flamethrower + Shadow Ball are strong STABs, Energy Ball is coverage hitting, most importantly, bulky waters such as Rotmo-W. The last slot is up to you. HP Ice is the best option but in-game, it's understandable if you don't opt for it. Psychic is another strong coverage move and is the reccomended move if you go with Specs. Trick Room, if you go with either of the other two items, lets you sustain TR and makes your team all-round more effective. Speaking of the items, each has its own benefits: Life Orb gves great damage output along with flexibility, Specs gives even more damage output, but locks you onto a move, not something you may want with only 2 pokes to switch into; finally Macho Brace allows Chandelure to outslow some of the slower pokemon around

Changes in bold :)

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
Pretty good team. I'll agree with what ^ said, though. You do need a special sweeper for the team to prevent random physical walls from wearing your team down. Also, have you considered three more members to choose from in a random matchup? It's fine if you haven't, but having three more options in a random matchup can turn a loss into a victory.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
As someone who does a lot of Random Matchups, you really need 6 pokemon, not 3. For example, with those three you listed you might as well ragequit once you see a Blaziken, Infernape, on Conkeldurr on Team Preview. I know you can only use 3, but you have to use Team Preview to your advantage and adjust to your opponent.

Reshiram337

Leader of DEFHA
thanks for all the suggestions, yea I overlooked the special sweeper part of pokemon. I see my teams weakness, thanks to all who helped with this. I think I will go with what everyone said and use Chandelure. Thank you :)

and honestly I haven't given much thought as for the other 3 pokemon, so I'm guessing probably more TR helped pokemon since the team is supposed to be a TR team.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
To make a team of 6, adding someone fast can help counter faster threats that keep you from setting up.

I've seen Quick Claw work on not-fast-but-not-TR-slow pokemon like Chandelure, which might help because base 80 speed's stil fast.

Conkeldurr can be a good addition to get you up to 6 as it's slow and bulky, has a recovery move, and priority. Helps take out (slow) Steel types (especially Ferrothorn).

Slowbro's another goot TR pokemon.

Reshiram337

Leader of DEFHA
k thank you, i think my TR team is hard to manage, its hard to keep up TR when u have to put it in, and then switch to something else. The best one I have in my team that has been most successful for me was Chandelure, hes just awesome.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Suggestions in bold.

+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Escavalier
Item: Chesto Berry (Swap it for Leftovers.)

Moves
---------------
Megahorn
Iron Head
Swords Dance (Decided to replace Pursuit with Swords Dance to physical sweep, thank you Ninja Dewott :) )
Rest (Replace it with Return)

+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Porygon2
Ability: Trace (Download > Trace.)
EV: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Def (Do you use 0 IVs in Speed?)

Moves
---------------
Trick Room
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover

+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Chandelure
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Life Orb (Choice Specs works just as well, though.)
EV: 252 HP/252 SpA/4SpD

Moves
---------------
Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
Hidden Power (ICE)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is supposed to be a trick room team, and I really need it checked and rated to determine if it needs any improvements. This is for random matchup, and slowly evolving into a complete competitive team.

Chandelure has replaced Gigalith in this TR team, due to the need of a special sweeper as suggested by most that replied to this thread. Thank you all :)