• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rank Ash Pokemon

Poke'fan68

ash-pokemon-gen-1-8-147611-1655730630.png

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
UPPER CHAMPION - (Pikachu) (Greninja)

LOWER CHAMPION - (Charizard) (Lucario) (Sceptile) (Infernape) (Torterra) (Electivire) (Garchomp) (Drapion) (Ursaring)

ELITE FOUR - (Snorlax) (Gengar) (Krookodile) (Dracovish) (Incineroar) (Dragonite) (Gyarados) (Metagross)

FRONTIER BRAIN - (Glalie) (Swellow) (Torkoal) (Gliscor) (Sirfetch'd) (Goodra) (Heracross) (Melmetal) (Nagandel) (Torterra) (Gible) (Hawlucha) (Bulbasaur) (Talonflame) (Lycanroc) (Honchkrow) (Nidoking) (Magmortar) (Hariyama) (Gliscor)

GYM LEADER and FRONTIER BRAIN - (Squirtle) (Palpitoad) (Tauros) (Noctowl) (Quilava) (Leavanny) (Staraptor) (Kingler) (Rowlett) (Buizel) (Pignite) (Corphish) (Donphan) (Aggron) (Ninjask) (Gastrodon) (Froslass)

GYM LEADER - (Unfezant) (Boldore) (Bayleef) (Snivy) (Oshawott) (Noivern) (Weavile)

BASIC LEVEL - (Scraggy) (Muk) (Totodile)

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
I'm sure we'll see more than a few threads like these pop up as the Masters tournament progresses, but I wanted to update my own thoughts on the top tiers in light of recent episodes.

Upper Champion: Pikachu, Infernape, Greninja (RIP A-G), Gengar, Lucario

Lower Champion: Charizard (headcanon), Dragonite, Sirfetch'd, Dracovish

Upper E4: Snorlax, Sceptile (also RIP), Krookodile (?), Lycanroc (personal bias, feats not found), Incineroar, Naganadel, Melmetal (personal bias, feats not found)

This thread is about Ash, but on some other notable trainers:

Iris: Dragonite and Haxorus can both scale to Lower Champion tier. Fingers crossed that both of them (and whatever her third is) get a strong showing against Cynthia.

Gladion: Once again, I'm biased. Silvally and Lycanroc both feel Upper E4, with Umbreon/Zoroark/Nihilego at Lower E4.

Paul: Gyarados, Garchomp, and Metagross can all be scaled to Lower Champion. We don't get to see Electivire properly in action, but I imagine both it and Torterra (as Paul's signature mon and starter respectively) are on at least the same level as them.

Alain: I'm sure I'll be back here after the next episode. The fact that Chesnaught and "Alain's third pick" are even being brought into battle against the strongest Champion in the PWC places them at at least Lower Champion. MCX is Upper Champion even if Leon's Charizard beats it without G-Max.

Coming up on the end of the semifinals, a ranking of his JN team...

High Champion: Pikachu, Lucario

Mid Champion: Gengar (carried by the Raihan battle), Sirfetch'd, Dracovish

Low Champion: Dragonite

And a few reserves (purely headcanon and strongly subject to bias)...

High Champion: Greninja (scales to just below Lucario)

Mid Champion: Infernape (scales to Gengar)

Fuzzy area around Low Champion and above E4: Charizard (implied to have been surpassed by Infernape), Sceptile (it and Charizard got no respect from JN), Snorlax (maybe? It needs a proper return), Incineroar/Lycanroc/Melmetal/Naganadel (bias)

Other trainers...

Alain: Charizard is probably Mid Champion overall, Chesnaught and Malamar are both roughly Low Champion.

Lance: Gyarados, Hydreigon, and Dragonite are all Low Champion.

Iris: Haxorus is Mid Champion, while Excadrill is Low Champion. Dragonite is probably also Low Champion.

Steven: Metagross is between Mid and High Champion, Cradily and Aggron are both Mid Champion.

Diantha: Mostly Low Champion except Gardevoir who's between Mid and High Champion. Pretty easily the best battler in this section though.

Oh look, all three Dragonites are together in Low Champion.

Last edited:

High Champion: Greninja (scales to Lucario)

Fuzzy area around Low Champion and above E4: Charizard/Sceptile (they got no respect from JN), Snorlax/Krookodile (maybe?), Incineroar/Lycanroc/Melmetal/Naganadel (bias)

Other trainers...

Alain: Charizard is probably Mid Champion overall, Chesnaught and Malamar are both roughly Low Champion.

Iris: Haxorus is Mid Champion, while Excadrill is Low Champion. Dragonite is probably also Low Champion.

Steven: Metagross is between Mid and High Champion, Cradily and Aggron are both Mid Champion.

Diantha: Mostly Low Champion except Gardevoir who's between Mid and High Champion. Pretty easily the best battler in this section though.

yes, i gave an angry reaction to your comment like a little kid upset because i don't like it

Ultimate Champion : Charizard

High Champion : Pikachu Z, Mega Lucario probably, Mega Metagross, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Garchomp, hypothetical Haxorus Z-Move . If Metagross had dodged the other rays, he would have easily defeated Pikachu, it was a matter of knowing in advance how the attack worked.

Between Mid & High : Mega Lucario probably , Dragonite Dinamax [Lance], Rillaboom Gigamax, Gyarados Dinamax , Spiritomb, Alain MCX

Mid Champion : Rillaboom, Gyarados, Haxorus Base

Low Champion: The rest

pickapika

High Champion: Greninja (scales to Lucario)

Fuzzy area around Low Champion and above E4: Charizard/Sceptile (they got no respect from JN), Snorlax/Krookodile (maybe?), Incineroar/Lycanroc/Melmetal/Naganadel (bias)

Other trainers...

cynthia fight potrays pikachu as a tier above the rest of the jn team. Not sure how consistent that is with everything else in JN tho

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
cynthia fight potrays pikachu as a tier above the rest of the jn team. Not sure how consistent that is with everything else in JN tho
And Lucario is set to take out two of Cynthia's Pokémon next episode (with one of those being her ace), giving it about the same record as Pikachu this battle. Looks about right to me.

pickapika

PWC has offered reasons to shift my tiers.

Would have had pikachu+lucario+greninja+infernape on tier 1 but I think the pwc fights, especially against Cynthia went differently than I would have expected it to go.

New Tier List
Tier S: Pikachu
-> Is stated to be ash's strongest pokemon by cynthia
-> is brought out when ash is in trouble
-> one-shots two of cynthis's pokemon
-> no sells 4 attacks vs cynthia's pokemon
-> Cynthia, idenitfying pikachu as the biggest threat(even having tanked a bunch of hits in a previous battle) than anyone else(including a fresh lucario), uses a suicide move to take him out
And all of this is Base Pikachu.

-> Pikachu also bailed ash out in the first round with two tko's including a one-shot vs a daimaxed mon. His showing wasn't as impressive as it was vs cynthia(inconsistency probably), but it supports pikachu as ash's ultimate trump card which is cemented in the cynthia battle where pikachu bails ash out and then cynthia decides to use drag-along to nuetralize it.

It's worth noting pikachu isn't supposed to be a tank. None of the above really accounts for pikachu's agility/mobility(Which should allow it to avoid more attacks than many of the mons it's tanking damage against with a comparably skilled battler commanding it).

Would probably take an underperformance vs leon(assuming ash beats cynthia) for pikachu to get unperched.

Tier A: Lucario, Unoragon, Infernape

-> Lucario was getting the best showings pre-league as most of ash's "aces" do. Thanks to Ash fighting the best opponents and performing the best(at least in-universe), Lucario being ash's ace here makes it hard to place lower than any of ash's other pokemon. Defeating a mega-evolved mon would put it in rarified air though, thanks to cynthia and alain, that's not neccesarily that impressive of a showing as it was before
-> Unoragon gets here for it's performance vs cynthia's mons where it, with lucario's fights pending, looked comfortably like the second strongest mon in the battle from either trainer. As this is against a top 5 trainer that scales unoragan very high
-> Infernape gets benefit of the doubt as it apparently has been constantly battling since it overpowered half of paul's team and was implied to have surpassed charizard who also has been training constantly from when it was a power hourse in kanto

Tier B: Greninja, Charizard, Gengar, Dragonite, Sirfetch
-> Greninja's loss to Alain's Charizard was previously easy to excuse with Alain's charizard being potrayed as an uber-powerful mon. Unfortunately for greninja, PWC has shown Alain's charizard to not actually be all that op with it failing to take out any of leon's pokemon and getting curbed by his ace. Considering that Leon and Ash are likely to have a climcatic battle, this scales basiclaly all of ash's pwc mons favorably relative to his Greninja. Greninja has had time to grow/train but without a trianer it's unclear to what extent they would have improved
-> Dragonite could be argued to tier higher because of their victory over haxorus who was potrayed as a peer for a mega-evolved garchomp but that was a while back(iris may have just gotten stronger) and they didn't look that impressive vs cynthia(relative to ash's othe rmons)
-> Charizard is implied to have been passed by infernape so they're a tier lower
-> Sirfetch deals heavy damage to cynthia's garchomp with one hit so here they go

Last edited:

pickapika

And Lucario is set to take out two of Cynthia's Pokémon next episode (with one of those being her ace), giving it about the same record as Pikachu this battle. Looks about right to me.
Lucario is set to take out a pokemon that has been "heavily damaged" by one attack from sitfetch and then a milatoss who Iris's Haxorus and Ash's scales to(a pokemon dragonite beat). The record alone may look comprable but the surrounding context really isn't. Pikachu one-shotted two pokemon, no-sold a high volume of attacks, and then was taken out by hax with there being little indication it couldn't have taken out more. Not to mention cynthia explicitly saying pikachu was ash's "greatest partner", specfically saving drag along to nuetralize it, and ash picking pikachu when things were going out of hand.

Taking out base garchomp isn't really notable anymore considering how badly garchomp has done thus far in pwc. And anything short of a one-shot there calls into question if lucario is really that strong. Takng out milatoss would be impressive but it wouldn't be out of the bounds of ash's non-pikachu mon.

how the hell is Infernape above Greninja? I mean it’s feasible but…

T1. Pikachu
T1. Lucario
3. Sirfetchd
4. Dracovish
5. Dragonite
6. Sceptile
7. Charizard
8. Gengar
9. Incineroar
10. Naganadel
11. Snorlax
12. Melmetal
13. Ash-Greninja
14. Infernape
15. Lycanroc

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Ranking his JN team is quite hard, as all members have good feats and the Leon battle will definitely hype some members up. But as of now:

1) Pikachu: Strong enough to one-shot Cynthia’s Gastrodon and in general amazing in the Masters Tournament. He’s being rightfully treated as Ash’s ace.

2) Lucario: One-shotted G-Max Duraludon, will defeat 2 of Cynthia’s Pokémon and has access to ME and aura powers.

3) Sirfetch’d: Defeated M-Altaria, Milotic and nearly took out base Garchomp.

4) Gengar: Defeated Grimmsnarl, was the MVP against Raihan, defeated Paul’s Metagross, Aggron, and assisted in defeating Cradily and Spiritomb.

5) Dragonite: Even though it’s on a losing streak currently, it managed to take out Haxorus (albeit with help of Iris)

6) Dracovish: Still a very strong Pokémon, but it has no real moment where it shined and the loss against Steven was very weird considering it’s feats before and after that battle.

pickapika

how the hell is Infernape above Greninja? I mean it’s feasible but…
well it's a combination of me guessing infernape's really strong based on constant training and it apparently surpassing charizard(hence why it challenges the fire legendary), and greninja's best showings being made to look alot worse courtesty of alain getting stomped in pwc.

Infernape has been training longer, been training more frequently, and greninja's hard-capped by a mon who doesn't look that impressive anymore.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Ranking his JN team is quite hard, as all members have good feats and the Leon battle will definitely hype some members up. But as of now:

1) Pikachu: Strong enough to one-shot Cynthia’s Gastrodon and in general amazing in the Masters Tournament. He’s being rightfully treated as Ash’s ace.

2) Lucario: One-shotted G-Max Duraludon, will defeat 2 of Cynthia’s Pokémon and has access to ME and aura powers.

3) Sirfetch’d: Defeated M-Altaria, Milotic and nearly took out base Garchomp.

4) Gengar: Defeated Grimmsnarl, was the MVP against Raihan, defeated Paul’s Metagross, Aggron, and assisted in defeating Cradily and Spiritomb.

5) Dragonite: Even though it’s on a losing streak currently, it managed to take out Haxorus (albeit with help of Iris)

6) Dracovish: Still a very strong Pokémon, but it has no real moment where it shined and the loss against Steven was very weird considering it’s feats before and after that battle.
I like most of this, but I think that Dracovish has surpassed Dragonite for the time being. Even disregarding the Cynthia battle, it's performance against Steven is still better than Dragonite's performance against Raihan.

I wouldn't give so much weight to the Iris battle anymore. It's been quite some time (number of episodes) since then and imo Iris' Haxorus is currently stronger than Ash's Dragonite.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
I like most of this, but I think that Dracovish has surpassed Dragonite for the time being. Even disregarding the Cynthia battle, it's performance against Steven is still better than Dragonite's performance against Raihan.

I wouldn't give so much weight to the Iris battle anymore. It's been quite some time (number of episodes) since then and imo Iris' Haxorus is currently stronger than Ash's Dragonite.
Fair enoug. Tbh, I spent most time deciding on which of those two should be placed higher, so it could very well be the other way around, too.

Though I feel like this list will look very different in a month or so. Dragonite will probably have it‘s big moment against Leon, maybe taking out the Rillaboom that’s being hyped up ever since the tournament started. Or they go full Goodra with it

MetaMantis

Offline until Ash vs Leon
The problem with your ranking system is that gym leaders can range from low level (1st gym) to high level (8th gym), so it's a massive spectrum.