• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rank each series

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
How'd you rank each Pokemon series in the anime and why exactly? Also, since S&M will meet its end anytime this year you can rank it as well. There you go!

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
1. SM (My personal favorite.)
2. OS (Nostalgia.)
3. DP. (Dawn's growth.)
4..... XY (Fights are good.)
5. AG. (Besides May... forgettable.)
6. BW. (Damn that earthquake!)

Xuxuba

1. OS Kanto (for the humour and originality) and XY (for the plot, character development and action).
2. AG and DP (for the good development of May and Dawn, plus it had some really good moments, although it had some really bad ones too, like Thunder armor, most of BF fillers and the huge and boring gap between gyms in DP).
3. BW (bc of the bad plot overall and also the ability to f*** up with some of the most important battles) , OS Johto (cuz of the absurd amount of fillers) and SM (bc of the underveloped cast, lackluster battles and the bad character design).

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
AG
XY
DP
SM
OS
BW

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
1. AG-didnt care for the first couple of years, but the Battle Frontier saves it for me. It also has the best continuity.
2. DP-Mostly because of Dawn. Paul was ok too.
3. OS-mostly because of the first series, which was entertaining to watch. Johto drags the series down for me though with those cotd Team Rocket fillers.
4. SM-I love seeing Ash getting hit and stuff, the companions are entertaining, and Lillie is my favorite character of the series. Team Rocket is also pretty much non-existent.
5. BW-Awful series, it showed us that Ash has become completely pointless as the main character and it's been made clear that he'll never win a league or be written off. Also the banning of 2 certain episodes as well as the art style redesign of Ash brought this series down for me. The good thing about this series is Iris and her interactions with other characters including Dawn.
6. XY-the worst of all the series imo. I didn't like Ash's redesign for this series either and his screen hogging was at an all time high here. It doesn't help that he was praised by everyone to the point where it became obnoxious. Team Rocket and the filler episodes were at their absolute worst here and the companions were the worst out of all of Ash's companions, particularly Serena, who became such a disappointment to me with the way she was treated throughout the series.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
The reason why I rank SM last, is because of several things. I get that deviating from a standard formula and trying something new might seem good at first, but if you can't execute it right then it falls apart

1. I do not like the fact that traveling has been omitted, yes they have episodes where they go to other islands, but it doesn't have the same feel as Ash traveling through a normal region, I get that alola is smaller considering it's island based, but would it have killed them to let Ash actually travel around on the routes from the games rather than taking a "base" formula with the school? Also I know someone is bound to bring up Jouto or sinnoh and how many fillers those regions had, but not all fillers were bad, I personally enjoyed some of the late jouto fillers.

2. There are too many human characters, in somewhat of a reverse of unova (Where Ash got too many pokemon) and they don't exactly know what to focus on, other than Lana (who has her bubble dream) and does want to focus on it, but what about the others? Yes Kiawe is a good battler, and yes Lillie is knowledgeable about things, but they don't seem to be committed to a goal like Ash or Lana, it makes it hard to be interested in them because of that.

3. Somewhat of a continuation, because of their being too many human characters, Ash and by extension his pokemon are suffering as a result in the developmental department, Ash is still a competent battler which is good, but since Pikachu and Lycanroc have gotten much of the attention until recently, it really hurts Rowlet and Torracat's development, evolution or not, they should not have waited this long to focus on his main team members to be development when we're in the final stages of the region, but this leads to problem 4.

4. Why give Ash something he's not going to keep, he didn't need to get Nebby (in sun and moon flutes were used to change nebby into the legendary, not the Tapu's) and Poipole was just as bad if not worse since Ash actually caught it, and who knows if his recent obtainment will be permanent (I pray that it is) if the upcoming league is going to have full battles, the writers really need to figure out what their going to do since it seems like all outs at this point lead to bad writing by the perspective of one person's opinion or another.

Final Point: I also don't like how battles are not as prevalent in this series, this might sound cold, but pokemon were created to fight each other, and while I don't expect high intensity all the time, you'd think we'd get at least some of that this region, but we hardly get any at all.

I can only hope when gen 8 gets here, they go back to the formula they used in the past, I am not going to shame this series for trying something new, but at the same time, I feel this region has taken too many liberties that it hurts more than helps.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Dp
Xy
Bf

Gap

Sm
Hoenn
Kanto
Johto

Gap

OI
Bw
Da

as for the actual series:
DP
XY

gap

SM/AG (used to put sm decisively over ag, but ash vs hapu was extremely underwhelming, hope things go uphill)
OS

gap

BW

Last edited:

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
1.AG
-The best Ash (Hoenn)
-Really good battles
-Ash's Sceptile
-Ash's Swellow
-Ash's Glalie
-Ash's Pikachu (Hoenn-Battle Frontier Pre Brandon Battle)
-Battle Frontier
-Ever Grande Conference
-Gym Battles
-Drew
-Harley
-Contests
-Kanto Grand Festival
-Hoenn Grand Festival

2.DP
-Paul
-Paul's Pokemon
-The best battles
-Lily of the Valley Conference
-Gym Battles
-Ash/Paul Rivalry
-Ash vs Paul Lake Acuity Battle
-Chimchar Storyline
-Hearthome City Tag Battle Tournament
-Barry
-Reggie
-Hunter J
-Team Galactic
-Elite Four

3.OS
-Ash's Charizard
-The Humor (Kanto)
-COTD/Filler (Kanto)
-Silver Conference (Johto)
-Ash
-Gary
-Brock
-Misty
-Team Rocket (Kanto)
-Ash's Bulbasaur
-Ash's Squirtle
-Ash's Snorlax

4.XY
-Alain's Charizard
-Great Animation
-Mega Evolution
-Really good battles
-Gym Battles
-Lumiose Conference

5.BW
-The Mini Tournaments (Club Battle/Clubsplosion/Junior Cup)
-Georgia
-Trip (Poor Man's Paul)
-Cilan

6.SM
-Gladion

Last edited:

Peter Harrison

1. DP/ Diamond and Pearl ( My favourite series)
2. AG
3. XY
4 BW
5: SM
6. OS

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
1. Original Series (Indigo League and Johto)
- Kanto was the goat for humor and entertainment
- If you actually sort through Johto’s fillers, you find some great ones
- Will we ever get savage Ash back? Please?
- Misty and Brock!!!
- Nothing beats the OG trio’s chemistry. Nothing.
- Gary mf Oak

2. Sun and Moon
- Lana
- Kiawe, Mallow and Lillie too
- Ash actually has a personality again
- The continuity!!!!!!
- It’s a nice change of pace

3. Diamond and Pearl
- Dawn is best girl
- Has any rival ever compared to Paul?
- We have to protect Barry at all costs
- Best contest arc, best female arc in general
- Hunter J was the best Poke ani villain of all time
- Good battles
-Admit it, you had a soft spot for chimchar

4. Advanced Generation
- I just want y’all to know I HATE ranking AG this low because I really did enjoy it
-Ash was still entertaining
-May!!!
-Drew and Harley!!!!
-I just loved the Hoenn region
-The introduction of contests

5. Best Wishes
- Iris. She deserves better from y’all
- Cilan
- Um..that’s all but like I said Iris deserves better

6. XY
- What does XY even stand for?
- Clemont is cool
- Good battles
- That’s all. That’s literally all I got

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The reason why I rank SM last, is because of several things. I get that deviating from a standard formula and trying something new might seem good at first, but if you can't execute it right then it falls apart

1. I do not like the fact that traveling has been omitted, yes they have episodes where they go to other islands, but it doesn't have the same feel as Ash traveling through a normal region, I get that alola is smaller considering it's island based, but would it have killed them to let Ash actually travel around on the routes from the games rather than taking a "base" formula with the school? Also I know someone is bound to bring up Jouto or sinnoh and how many fillers those regions had, but not all fillers were bad, I personally enjoyed some of the late jouto fillers.

2. There are too many human characters, in somewhat of a reverse of unova (Where Ash got too many pokemon) and they don't exactly know what to focus on, other than Lana (who has her bubble dream) and does want to focus on it, but what about the others? Yes Kiawe is a good battler, and yes Lillie is knowledgeable about things, but they don't seem to be committed to a goal like Ash or Lana, it makes it hard to be interested in them because of that.

3. Somewhat of a continuation, because of their being too many human characters, Ash and by extension his pokemon are suffering as a result in the developmental department, Ash is still a competent battler which is good, but since Pikachu and Lycanroc have gotten much of the attention until recently, it really hurts Rowlet and Torracat's development, evolution or not, they should not have waited this long to focus on his main team members to be development when we're in the final stages of the region, but this leads to problem 4.

4. Why give Ash something he's not going to keep, he didn't need to get Nebby (in sun and moon flutes were used to change nebby into the legendary, not the Tapu's) and Poipole was just as bad if not worse since Ash actually caught it, and who knows if his recent obtainment will be permanent (I pray that it is) if the upcoming league is going to have full battles, the writers really need to figure out what their going to do since it seems like all outs at this point lead to bad writing by the perspective of one person's opinion or another.

Final Point: I also don't like how battles are not as prevalent in this series, this might sound cold, but pokemon were created to fight each other, and while I don't expect high intensity all the time, you'd think we'd get at least some of that this region, but we hardly get any at all.

I can only hope when gen 8 gets here, they go back to the formula they used in the past, I am not going to shame this series for trying something new, but at the same time, I feel this region has taken too many liberties that it hurts more than helps.
Thanks for posting this. I agree with every word.
As to my rank:
XY > DP> BW>AG>OS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SM