• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rank each series

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
1. DP and AG. Both are great series, introduced great characters and Pokemon, had amazing arcs and battles. These two sagas felt more connected than any other sagas
2. OS. It still holds up
3. Hm.... three way tie with XY, BW, and SM. All three give me a headache but there are things in each series I do like. It's hard to say which I dislike more. I hope Galar is more like AG and DP than these

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
1. OS (Nostalgia and humor value)
2. XY (battles and art style)
2. SM (characterization and animation)
4. AG (Not perfect, not terrible, introduced a bunch of new things to the anime)
5. BW (Well, it did convince me to watch the show again, but Ash got his brain half-removed)
6. SWSH (Hasn't premiered yet, but I can guarantee it won't be in last place)
7. DP (I think we all know why)

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
1. DP
2. SM
3. BW
4. AG
5. XY
6. OS

SM isn't finished yet, but it has the best storytelling, worldbuilding, and character development. While DP isn't quite up there, it also has great battles, even if the animation quality looks pedestrian by SM standards. SM is unfinished so if it ends strong, it could surpass DP in my book, in spite of being very different from it.
I rate AG below BW because AG only superficially tweaked the Pokemon formula - the actual Hoenn part of AG was largely mediocre, but better than Johto by a country mile. Things really heated up with the Battle Frontier. BW was great for its first 2 seasons and only collapsed once Adventures in Unova started. People forget that BW was very competitive/action focused with all the tournaments it held.

OS/XY have some of the highest points, but also (by far) the lowest points in the franchise. XY flipped BW in that it had 2 bad seasons and one good one. OS had like 26 good episodes, mostly in pre-league Kanto, and a few standouts in Orange. The rest were boring, awful or both. I cannot stress enough that Johto was a franchise killer.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yeah, even though I'm someone who barely even cares about the Pokemon anime these days, I'll still give a list of mine here, with a slightly unique format:

OS Kanto: 5/10

OS Orange Islands: 6/10

OS Johto: 7/10

Overall OS: 6/10

AG Hoenn: 6/10

AG Battle Frontier: 9/10

Overall AG: 7.5/10

DP 1st season + Battle Dimension: 7.5/10

DP Galactic Battles + Sinnoh League Victors: 9/10

Overall DP: 8.25/10

BW 1st season + Rival destinies: 4/10

BW Decolora Adventure: 3/10

BW Episode N + Team Plasma: 5/10

Overall BW: 4/10

XY (before XY&Z): 8/10

XY&Z: 9/10

Overall XY/XY&Z: 8.5/10

SM (upto Necrozma arc): 6/10

SM (after Necrozma arc): 4/10

Overall SM: 5/10

Orderwise overall, my ranking would go like:

XY => DP > AG > OS > SM > BW

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Objectively:

Kanto/Orange
DP
AG/XY
SM
Better parts of Johto
BW
Worst parts of Johto

Granted the first four sagas on my list are pretty interchangeable, I like them for different reasons. Kanto/Orange have the best humor and fun episodes, but poor battles. DP mostly for the plot driven episodes and battles. AG and XY I like for different reasons, XY got really good as it got going and I love Bonnie/Clemont. AG is mostly for Ash's Hoenn pokemon and May, her Contests and Drew/Harley. SM has gotten better as it went on so I like it more now.

For Johto it's both half a really boring arc but some of its eps can be quite good. If you cherrypick the good parts of Johto it has a lot of good eps, but man, most of it is still a slog to sit through if you go in order. That and its when the original cast began to get stale.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
XY/Z - Solid story, world, and characterization
10/10

DP - Hunter J, Paul, Dawn, the battles
8/10

AG - Completely average
5/10

BW - Long-overdue character reset and series reboot (ignoring the reams of continuity Filler)
3/10

OS - Interesting start, generally overhyped and aged poorly
1/10

SM - A region with the shallowest characters, the least amount of tension, completely butchering the beloved game characters and promising plotline that the anime could've made into something truly memorable had they applied the previous series' tight writing - they tried something new, but bungled it horrifically
-10/10

Genaller

Silver Soul
- A+
AG: Battle Frontier, DP: Sinnoh League Victors, XYZ

- A
DP: Battle Dimension, XY: Kalos Quest

- A-

- B+
DP Season 1, AG: Advanced Challenge + Advanced Battle, OS: Master Quest

- B

- B-
AG Season 1

- C+

- C-

- F
Best Wishes full series, Sun and Moon full series

Overall XY >= DP > AG > OS >>> BW ~ SM

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Objectively:

Kanto/Orange
DP
AG/XY
SM
Better parts of Johto
BW
Worst parts of Johto

Granted the first four sagas on my list are pretty interchangeable, I like them for different reasons. Kanto/Orange have the best humor and fun episodes, but poor battles. DP mostly for the plot driven episodes and battles. AG and XY I like for different reasons, XY got really good as it got going and I love Bonnie/Clemont. AG is mostly for Ash's Hoenn pokemon and May, her Contests and Drew/Harley. SM has gotten better as it went on so I like it more now.

For Johto it's both half a really boring arc but some of its eps can be quite good. If you cherrypick the good parts of Johto it has a lot of good eps, but man, most of it is still a slog to sit through if you go in order. That and its when the original cast began to get stale.
AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
1.Xy/Xy&z : good stories and feel like little bit of the Pokemon special manga in rbgy arc. And all characters is interesting and team flames is lot batter then that both games and the manga (adventure/Special)
But both Satoshi and Rocket-Gang trios have bit issue.....most trios now so boring and i am sad that trios lose their earlier bw perfect personality and feel like they're prefect for joining tf gang .....and Satoshi should have more personal strike in the story and his relationship with Serena should done lot better then what we getting in the anime and it should be The end for Satoshi and his universe. Xy/Xy & z ? 9 and half out of the ten. Good but not perfect though.

2. OS series......oh boy sorry shudõ love ya but ......your story for Satoshi in that arc is ....Suck !!! There i say it !
Look i know os series is most nostalgic for our childhood in the last 90's but someone have to break it .....oh go ahead....hate me for what i am going to say but i would rather be a hated then keeping say same thing about that arc that everyone has already been covering for last few years.
Satoshi story should've been end in kantou arc and so does trios with rockets during the event of game plot that been robbed for no reason that is yet to know. ......yeah no we got a random adventures for Satoshi and rest of his friend go on like they are Scooby gang or something like that and let be honest takeshi and kasumi is great characters but their own story have been wasted and lot more stuff could be done for them and most episode are indeed well written and interested but do they add anything into the story ? And the buld up to mewtwo film is nice and subtle done well but it is pointless if you have Satoshi and rest of the characters forgotten that event ??? And orange islands arc is best and actually the short arc in the os era and but don't not add in the Pokemon anime show or game and why Lizardon episode need in there or kabigon and Lapras ep respective.....? These episode could add/replace some filler ep in kanto arc and i wish that jhoto arc is much more short then already long boring arc that already losing my interested in at thetime and use real LUGIA not baby one and this would like to nice to see real hou-hou meet Satoshi.
Os era ? 5/10 point sorry os fan.

3. Ag era......yeah it is not the best series but best Satoshi progressed into a better trainer story and great underdog and her/his teacher story for Haruka and Satoshi as her sensei....had takeshi stay in os era....yeah still bit bitter about that part in my 11 year old brain of mine. And ruby and sapphire game arc should have a provided lot in the Pokemon anime show then back there....but i am fine with Satoshi beat bf story . Not complaining about that.
Ag/bf era ? 7/10 point

Dp ......same thing about that as rest of big dp ani fan great stories but it too danm long and takeshi still there ......why he still around it is baffling me badly. And Shinji is awesome as Satoshi rival......better than Shigeru in kanto and Jhoto arc sadly. And Hikari story is great but i wish she just catching own Pokemon not give by Satoshi or her clone and tg arc ......most forgettable.
Dp ? 8/10 point. Great teen nostalgic but it still lot work .

Bw ......one word reboot suck and as fan of the character satoshi/Ash/ Red......hate that show but best tr change.
1/10.

Sun and Moon .......cute show and great background for Satoshi's Nyaheat and mao....that it .
3/10s point.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
The XY series was basically AG and DP combined into one series, with similar aspects to both, and then going a bit further in the shonen department and had the crush aspect all series. Personally the reason I remember people liking it when it was originally airing is because after people disliked or got bored of BW, most people felt XY was continuing the direction AG and DP went in. Having rewatched most of the series recently (in Japanese of course, the dub is poor), it really does have more high points and less low points than most past sagas. Had the showcases not been lackluster and Serena's arc started earlier, it would have been even better. Besides a few duds, the fillers were also fine and not any worse than your typical AG/DP filler.

MockingJ

Banned
1. OS - not really based on just nostalgia, but because it had some of the funnest fillers of the whole show and the 4Kids dialogue was generally funnier than TPCi's dialogue.
2. DP - this saga introduced Paul and Zoey who were some of my favorite rivals ever. We also got to see Ash take several steps forward in his Pokemon Master quest.
3. BW - even though most people hated it, I liked it. The tournaments were fun, the new Pokemon were interesting, and the Team Plasma arc was handled really well.
4. AG - even though Max annoyed me to death, the cast worked well for the most part. Ash's team was also pretty cool in Hoenn but seemed mismatched in the Frontier arc.
5. XY - the show began to get too much like Naruto and DBZ with the constant battling and intense animation. Showcases were cute though and Alain was the savior of the saga.
6. SM - this saga just doesn't interest me that much. I've seen all the dubbed episodes but I still haven't warmed up to the animation or the Alola cast. I only like Ash's team.