• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rank every regions Pokémon from worst to best.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
7. Kanto
6. Sinnoh.
5. Johto
4. Kalos.
3. Hoenn
2. Alola
1. Unova.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
7. Kalos
6. Kanto
5. Alola
4. Hoenn
3. Sinnoh
2. Johto
1. Unova

Scammel

7: Sinnoh. Even worse than all the twee early game crap, Lucario and Garchomp are irredeemable.

The other regions are basically inoffensive at worst.

6: Kalos
5: Alola
4: Hoenn
3: Johto (though honestly, it was never intended to be much of a standalone, distinct region)
2: Unova
1: Kanto

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
7. Kanto
6. Alola
5. Johto
4. Sinnoh
3. Unova
2. Hoenn
1. Kalos

Edit: Fixed up the order after realising it was the Pokémon debuting in the region, not the region itself.

Last edited:

Scammel

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. We've all had different experiences throughout the years with these games.

Well, yes, but criticism of Kanto usually revolves around the non-existent story, humdrum towns and general ubiquity. I genuinely cannot remember the last time anyone expressed the view that the original 151 was the worst instalment of species.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
7: Sinnoh. Even worse than all the twee early game crap, Lucario and Garchomp are irredeemable.

The other regions are basically inoffensive at worst.

6: Kalos
5: Alola
4: Hoenn
3: Johto (though honestly, it was never intended to be much of a standalone, distinct region)
2: Unova
1: Kanto
A funny criticism I hear about Sinnoh is the lack of variety is has in terms of wild Pokemon, such as people traveling afar from one location to the next only to find a Floatzel, Staravia or Kricketune for the 24th time lol.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
7) Johto
6) Kanto
5) Hoenn
4) Unova
3) Kalos
2) Alola
1) Sinnoh

Last edited:

Scammel

A funny criticism I hear about Sinnoh is the lack of variety is has in terms of wild Pokemon, such as people traveling afar from one location to the next only to find a Floatzel, Staravia or Kricketune for the 24th time lol.

I find this isn't necessarily a problem when repetitive Pokémon look as though they have some teeth to them (sometimes literally) - I'm a big fan of the Nido line, for example. Bibarel and his goofy pals just aren't remotely threatening.

Manchee

extra toasty
Well, yes, but criticism of Kanto usually revolves around the non-existent story, humdrum towns and general ubiquity. I genuinely cannot remember the last time anyone expressed the view that the original 151 was the worst instalment of species.

Hahahahaha this response is so funny to me

Not sure how I feel about just ranking them and leaving, because I think people add assumptions to threads like these (see above), so I'll leave my opinions on why I am ranking them this way.

7. Alola
-I feel bad saying this one is the "worst" because there are so few Pokémon and it was an odd setup for a region/game, but I don't have many from Alola that really stand out or that I feel like I need to use in other games. Also, I think I like the regional variants better than the brand new Pokémon, which bothers me a good bit.

6. Johto
-Mostly for a lack of Pokémon and evolutions that enhance certain species. I feel like overall this region had a lot of cutesy Pokémon, which isn't a bad thing, but none of them are my favorites or stand out in any kind of special way.

5. Kalos
-I actually really love Kalos and the games associated with it, so this ranking surprised me, but the only reason it is being beaten by Kanto is because there are fewer Pokémon to take into consideration. And I think some of the designs are a little off, like Pyroar's mane being so smooth and pointy. I enjoy a lot of the things that the Pokémon of Kalos tried to be, and had there been more they would most likely be ranked higher on my list.

4. Kanto
-I think there are a solid number of standard Pokémon here. I am not a huge fan of some staples, but I genuinely like a lot of them for their designs and evolution lines. There is a good balance of simple concepts with good designs.

3. Sinnoh
-One of my favorite things about these Pokémon are the number of evolutions that older Pokémon got because they completed so many of the evolution lines. It's so weird to me to think that a Pokémon like Roselia was a standalone until Sinnoh and is now a full line. I wish they would return to this at some point. But I also think that there are some other great Pokémon here, and I overall enjoy the silliness of most of them (Floatzel and Gastrodon being two that come to mind right away).

2. Unova
-I can't tell you how many Pokémon from this region that I absolutely love. It brought back the same idea I just presented with Kanto, a good balance of concept and design, but I think they enhanced it this time around with Pokémon like Ferrothorn, Shelmet/Karrablast, and Garbodor. I think Unova had the best cohesion between region and Pokémon, so I really appreciate that.

1. Hoenn
-Need I say more? I honestly love every single Hoenn Pokémon. It's probably some deep nostalgia or something, but I don't base a lot of my opinions on "oh, it's the original thing!" but I think I've spent so much time in Hoenn that it's hard for me to dislike many things. There are definitely imperfections or parts I wish changed, but in terms of Pokémon I just love so many that it would be rude of me to rank it any lower.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
The biggest strike against Sinnoh in type variety in DP is that you literally only have two Fire-types lines to use before obtaining the National Dex. If you did not pick Chimchar your only choice for a Fire-type is Ponyta, almost every Bronzor/Bronzong seemingly have Levitate did not make things easier as they did not have additional weakness to Ghost and Dark at that time.

Nockturne

This is pretty great timing. I have at least one copy of a game from each region, and I recently started playing through each region with a team of my favourites from that Gen. So its pretty easy for me to do this without really thinking about it because with Unova and Hoenn I struggled to come up with 6 Pokemon I'd consider my favourites, but with Johto, Kanto and Sinnoh I had way more than six and kept chopping and changing what my team would be. So with that said...

7. Unova
6. Hoenn
5. Kalos
4. Alola
3. Sinnoh
2. Kanto
1. Johto

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Honestly I think it's weird that you think Unova has some of the best but hey, that's your opinion.
Actually I think Unova has the most badass designs in Pokemon history. We got Axe-Dragons, Ghost Automotons with Rocket Punches (GIVE IT A ROCKET PUNCH MOVE GAMEFREAK!), Dark Generals, Three-Headed Dragons, Rumbling Boars, Royal Snakes, Electrifying Zebras, Illusionary Foxes, fighting Weasels, the list can go on! Not to mention Gen V had one of the best competitive experiences outside of the weather wars.

Last edited:

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Actually I think Unova has the most badass designs in Pokemon history. We got Axe-Dragons, Ghost Automotons with Rocket Punches (GIVE IT A ROCKET PUNCH MOVE GAMEFREAK!), Dark Generals, Three-Headed Dragons, Rumbling Boards, Royal Snakes, Electrifying Zebras, Illusionary Foxes, fighting Weasels, the list can go on! Not to mention Gen V had one of the best competitive experiences outside of the weather wars.

I'd say Unova has more pokemon I dislike than like... by quite a wide margin. Most of them were duds to me. For perspective, Kalos (second lowest on my list) contains mostly pokemon I like and the ones I don't like, I'm indifferent towards and it's still ranked 6th. That's how poorly I think of Unova's dex.