• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rank The Alola Teams

DatsRight

Well it's safe to say the Pokemon teams did NOT end up as most predicted this series, so with us reaching the finale, how did they fare for you?

* Ash (Pikachu, Rowlet, Lycanroc, Incineroar, Naganadel, Melmetal, Nebby(?)).

* Kiawe (Charizard, Turtonator, Marowak).

* Sophocles (Togedemaru, Vikavolt).

* Lana (Primarina, Sandy).

* Mallow (Tsareena, Shaymin).

* Lillie (Snowy, Magearna).

* Team Rocket (Meowth, Wobbuffet, Mimikyu, Mareanie).

Obviously to keep things fair, please rate by quality over quantity. You can go through some of the support cast's teams as well if you like.

DatsRight

I didn't care for Sophocles pokemon till his bug fully evolved though. Individually I like Tsareena and Snowy, but well, they're only 1 pokemon.

I felt similar with Mallow until the episode she got Shaymin, that just felt the point they started trying with her and joining the dots, even if her agency as a trainer is still kinda lacking. The moments the trainers got their secondaries (or in Lillie's case, a Pokemon at all) always felt like their transformative points in this series, even in cases when said secondaries ultimately didn't do a whole lot.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Ash < His team was the most enjoyable, and apart from Torracat not getting to fight anyone not named Incineroar until the tail end of the series, and Poipole.... his team was handled okay compared to everyone else.

Kiawe < Marowak and Turtonator were great Pokemon. In fact if they actually put some damn effort into giving him a REAL third Pokemon, instead of Charizard.... I'd rank him higher than Ash.

Team Rocket

Sophocles < Never thought I'd have him here at the start. Unlike the girls his team was handled perfectly. Just wish he got a third Pokemon much like I wish Kiawe did

Mallow < She needed an actual second Pokemon.... and Shaymin was literally a walking Pokemon Center! That was it's entire purpose! She should have gotten an Ivysaur

Lillie < Vulpix..... lol All that Magearna setup just to give it to her at the literal end

Lana < I'm gonna be honest, I hate her guts. I always will. That ain't changing. Primarina wasn't earned nor deserved. And Eevee did even less than Shaymin did, and Serena's....
Worst Professor < Ditto. Never saw anyone before that battle, now you never will again. They pulled the same **** XY did yet again

DatsRight

I think Charizard would have worked better if they'd had more character input with it. Like we see it being sidelined at the start of the series and not really getting to do much, it's a recurring thing early on that Kiawe has a rather rigid element. Proper limelight on Charizard being neglected as an actual team member and having more of a personality that reacted to that could have made it more gratifying when it finally proved itself and got promoted to battle mon. Maybe something like Tracey's Scyther.

As for Mallow, I'm kinda surprised they didn't pick Alola Raticate given its dex entries. Shaymin I suppose made sense since she needed a 'baby' grass type after Tsareena fully evolved and couldn't fit into every scene (plus giving a companion a mythical balanced Ash's over-the-top elusive team this series). Shame she never got Fomantis, which was sorely underused this series. I get the feeling whatever Mallow got she wouldn't have used much anyway.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Well it's safe to say the Pokemon teams did NOT end up as most predicted this series, so with us reaching the finale, how did they fare for you?

* Ash (Pikachu, Rowlet, Lycanroc, Incineroar, Naganadel, Melmetal, Nebby(?)).

* Kiawe (Charizard, Turtonator, Marowak).

* Sophocles (Togedemaru, Vikavolt).

* Lana (Primarina, Sandy).

* Mallow (Tsareena, Shaymin).

* Lillie (Snowy, Magearna).

* Team Rocket (Meowth, Wobbuffet, Mimikyu, Mareanie).

Obviously to keep things fair, please rate by quality over quantity. You can go through some of the support cast's teams as well if you like.

You forgot Lanas Lapras

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Ash's Alola team ranking( not Pikachu) by likness and power:
Power: Incineroar > Melmetal > DL=Naganadel > Rowlet
By likeness:
Incineroar( I like it the best) > Naganadel( really cool) > Melmetal( it's ok) > DL= Rowlet( IMO overrated, but I do feel they got dumbed down thanks to Kukui fight, so it's good now)

DatsRight

You forgot Lanas Lapras

Lapras is a weird one. It mostly disappeared after about Season One, not being used in the league either which otherwise gave every team member a role. I think it was implied it was the family's instead of her's directly.

I know I maybe should take out the likes of Shaymin and Charizard if I discard technical-only captures, however they seemed way more clearly allocated to the trainer in question in terms of use and bond than Lapras. Charizard stopped being a prop Ride Pokemon by the final season, Lapras didn't.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Ash>Kukui>Gladion>Kiawe>Lana>Sophocoes>Mallow>Lillie

I think Ash's team turned out well all things considered. No consistent jobbers and the two late additions had their time to shine in the league

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
James - adorable with Mareanie
Jessie - amusing with Mimikyu
Lillie - cute with Shiron
Gladion - solid with team
Kukui - strong with Incineroar
Lana - heartwarming with Popplio
Sophocles - teamwork with Vivavolt
Kiawe - memetic with Marowak
Ash - faded as the series went on
Mallow - literally nothing

DatsRight

I'm going to confess that, while Shaymin was criminally underused, I thought it's release was the most heart wrenching part of the finale, especially if you buy the theory it symbolises her mother consoling her before ascending back to heaven.

DatsRight

I thought its release was wayy to rushed I didnt even say goodbye to Mallow and Tseaarna

I do think it was a shame they slipped it right at the end of the series. I'd have loved if it got extended screen time next series so Mallow had something to do. In the end it only got one limelight episode. I did like the implied symbolism however and I still find myself missing the little fella the most.

One thing I've noticed by the way is that:
Nearly all of the companions' Pokemon this series are ones that are making it into the Gen 8's Pokedex conveniently enough, even ones less expected from the transition from Hawaii to Britain such as Turtonator. Hell even the Charizard line ended up the one Kanto starter in. The only ones not in are Marowak, Primarina (both of which were largely the limelight stealers of their respective teams, making it convenient to transition to one of the others if they reappear) and Shaymin (guess who got released).

Leonhart

Imagineer
If we're talking in terms of strength then Satoshi's SM team was by far the strongest out of the main cast, with Kaki's team and Suiren's team coming in at second and third place, respectively. I just can't decide on who I think is stronger among the other classmates, although Maamane might have more technical battling skill than Mao and Lilie I suppose.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I think Ash and Kukui were the only people in the entire region that had a full team.If I had to rank them I would do

Alola Team

Kalos/Sinnoh

Kanto Team

Hoenn/Unova

Johto Team

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I think Ash and Kukui were the only people in the entire region that had a full team.If I had to rank them I would do

Alola Team

Kalos/Sinnoh

Kanto Team

Hoenn/Unova

Johto Team
Lusamine was the first and only one we knew about for 90% of the series