• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rank the Female Companions in Battling

Strongest Female Companion?

• Total voters

snorlax512

Robert = Solidad > May >= Drew > Zoey >= Dawn = Nando = Harley > Ursula >= Kenny
Sinnoh Rivals were jokes lol

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
Power Ranking
1.Iris
2.May
3.Misty
4.Dawn
5.Serena

Skill Ranking
1.May
2.Dawn
3.Misty
4.Iris
5.Serena

I agree with your skill ranking, but your power ranking only works when comparing the top Pokémon for each girl. A more accurate power ranking would be to compare the best 3 Pokémon of each character (since Serena only has 3).

-Misty
Gyarados, Politoed, Corsola (Psyduck is too circumstantial)

-May
Blaziken, Beautifly, Munchlax

-Dawn
Mamoswine, Ambipom, Piplup

-Iris
Dragonite, Excadrill, Axew

-Serena
Braixen, Pancham, Sylveon

It's difficult to say what May's and Dawn's top 3 are but the teams I gave seem the most balanced. Feel free to give those 2 different teams. For me the power ranking would go

May > Iris > Dawn > Misty >> Serena

Of course Dawn would be above Iris if it were a 5 vs 5 (Iris has 5 Pokémon)

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

I cannot comprehend how exactly Dawn has stronger team than May, Iris and Misty? Or what kind of superior skill she demonstrated compared to this three to warrant being viewed as strongest girl.
Im sorry but she is being given a lot more credit to her battling abilities than what reality showed.

I agree but for the sake of argument, I am judging their strength based on what I have seen

In that case people should judge Misty strength based on last what was seen from her and in what light she was showed. Rather than listing examples from Kanto, early Johto which aren't even valid anymore. Since Misty in her strength wasn't same in early and later series.

Most importantly judging anyone on strength and what was showed in past is no longer valid and authentic portrayal of their current skill, status and power. Since its past tense and not present honestly with Misty as gym leader and battle hardened trainer striving to become water master and live up to idol Lorelei becoming E4 is exposed to much more harsh battling and training than coordinators like May and Dawn, let alone Serena is.

Yes I don't consider contest battles to be as demanding and raw like trainer battles are.

OS Ash was a novice, and was poor in both training his pokemon, battling techniques and knowledge of type matchups. I don't think there is any excuse to deny that. Misty was shown to be on the same level as OS Ash on multiple occasions (gym battle, Whirl cup, bulbasaur vs Politoed etc...). She was definitely not much better than Ash.

Even if that was case. What makes you think May at end of Hoenn or DAwn at ewnd of Sinnoh could even defeat and compete with Ash from Original series?

Dawn never had true serious battle against Ash where her pokemon could actually bring him in danger of losing. And may Blaziken despite having enormous type advantage still failed to overpower Sceptile who was tied with it.

But even if we for sake of argument pretend like May and Dawn were capable of coming top 8 in Silver Conference and beat gym leaders such as Clair, Pryce, Blaine etc(I highly doubt it), Misty in Hoenn obviously wasn't like she was in OS., Making again entire argument of Misty in OS being close to OS Ash null.

I understand that you like Misty, but you seem a bit biased. Outplaying Ash in the whirl cup? It was a completely fluke lol.

Let see. Poliwhirl completely dominated over Totodile easily defeating it. Kingler granted returned Ash in match, and while Psyduck ruined Misty plans popping out in worse moment. At end of the day it was Ash recklessness and stupidity which cost him battle with Misty coming of as smarter and more adaptable trainer.

So how did she didn't outplayed Ash there again? Despite being in terrible position, she found her ace in hole managing through quick thinking and approach to turn hopeless position in victory.

Not to mention rewatch episode in question. Misty wanted to send Corsola against Kingler. Which had answer and great defense to every Kingler move. And its not even debatable that one spike canon from Corsola would be enough to defeat Kingler, since it was enough to defeat even higher class of water pokemon like Gyarados. Who belonged to expert.

I'm talking about in comparison to May and Dawn, whose Pokemon (Torchic, Wurmple, Piplup, Swinub etc...). The improvements you listed here are minimal at best compared to May and Dawn's. Also, this doesn't hide the fact that Misty failed to develop Togepi and Psyduck despite having travelled for more than twice as long as Ash
s other companions.

Only reason your seeing Misty improvements minimal is due to training of her pokemon almost never being showed on screen. Alongside fact of Misty having less focus. But having less focus and moments of showcasing her improvement doesn't mean her improvement was any smaller and of weaker significance.

Remember; its Quality over quantity.

As for other two pokemon you listed. Misty didn't failed to develop Togepi, since she never tried to develop it in battling machine. There exists difference. Misty viewed Togepi as fragile baby pokemon unsuited for battling, hence why she very rarely tried to train it. And almost never let it enter battle due to fearing of getting injured.

Not to mention Togepi line evolves through happiness, not battle experience. So Misty pretty much through unconditional care and love succeeded in that job setting up prerequisites for its eventual evolution. As Hoenn episodes showed and how close their bond was(like it was between mother and child to extent).

Now that doesn't excuse poor handling of Misty baby pokemon, But Togepi being underdeveloped cannot count as reflection of Misty capability as trainer. Since she and writers realistically never intended baby pokemon to even go down that alley.

Leaving us with Psyduck who i wont even bother explaining anymore why it wasn't developed much in battling. Considering how at least three times in my previous posts i elaborated on what was Misty Psyduck primarily role and why its training represents such challenge. That i doubt May, Dawn or Iris would have any better success.

For more details on Psyduck see my previous post in response to another member.

Well, I assume she was worse a training it because her pokemon developed less.

One doesn't exclude the other. Misty pokemon developed less not because Misty was worse in training(which again happened of screen, as canon confirmed). But because writers dedicated less spotlight to her development. Pokemon producers themselves in OS were'nt sure in what direction to take anime and nature of anime itself was less centered on showing on screen trainers working with pkemon. Being more about dedicating visible time for build of relationship and personalities of humans themselves.

Someone pokemon receiving less attention does not mean its trainer lacked stamina and potential to make great job out of them. Or pokemon themselves being weaker.

Again were dealing with case Quality vs Quantity.

Misty lost to bulba, she's not beating Zard/Sceptile.

Your forgetting how it was Poliwhirl who lost to Bulbasaur. Who at that time just evolved and wasn't among Misty top tier pokemon. When we are talking about Misty going head to head vs Sceptile or Charizard im talking about her own powerhoises like Gyarados, Starmie or Staryu.

At this point maybe Politoad as well. Since its:
A)much stronger than Poliwhirl(there is no reason to believe Poliwhirl alternate full form is inferior to Poliwrath; opinion which seem to roam around fandom)
B)Poliwhirl lost to Bulbasaur in beginning of Joto, so that argument doesn't hold water anymore. Poliwhirl/Politoad in late Johto and afterwards was much stronger.

And lastly your forgetting how Bulbasaur barely win being on its last forces. Poliwhirl despite its inexperience overpowered Ash veteran pokemon like Bulbasaur in every way. Water gun neutralized razor leaf, Body slam out powered its Physical attacks and barrage of Bubble beam put Bulbasaur on such edge that if Solar Beam was fired just second later, it would faint.

So while losing, it was more so that Ash Bulbasaur was saved in last minute. Rather than Ash outsmarting Misty in that battle.

Last edited:

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
I agree with your skill ranking, but your power ranking only works when comparing the top Pokémon for each girl. A more accurate power ranking would be to compare the best 3 Pokémon of each character (since Serena only has 3).

-Misty
Gyarados, Politoed, Corsola (Psyduck is too circumstantial)

-May
Blaziken, Beautifly, Munchlax

-Dawn
Mamoswine, Ambipom, Piplup

-Iris
Dragonite, Excadrill, Axew

-Serena
Braixen, Pancham, Sylveon

It's difficult to say what May's and Dawn's top 3 are but the teams I gave seem the most balanced. Feel free to give those 2 different teams. For me the power ranking would go

May > Iris > Dawn > Misty >> Serena

Of course Dawn would be above Iris if it were a 5 vs 5 (Iris has 5 Pokémon)

Iris's Dragonite is stronger than May's Blaziken,Misty's Gyaridos,and Dawn's Mamoswine as it could easily sweep any of the Female's teams on this list.

In terms of powerhouses

Misty
-Gyaridos

May
-Blaziken

Dawn
-Mamoswine

Iris
-Dragonite
-Excadrill

Last edited:

Shooti

Uber Trainer
May would take it in that category as well.

I mean "waifu for Ash poll" in which we have seen in multiple polls here in the past that Amour obliterated other shippings by considerable margin, in the last poll amour won with 232 votes, pearl came second with 57 votes.

Also, justice has been served finally Misty toppled Serena in this poll. I'm glad that May is still up there giving Dawn competition in this poll as she should.

Your forgetting how it was Poliwhirl who lost to Bulbasaur. Who at that time just evolved and wasn't among Misty top tier pokemon. When we are talking about Misty going head to head vs Sceptile or Charizard im talking about her own powerhoises like Gyarados, Starmie or Staryu.

At this point maybe Politoad as well. Since its:
A)much stronger than Poliwhirl(there is no reason to believe Poliwhirl alternate full form is inferior to Poliwrath; opinion which seem to roam around fandom)
B)Poliwhirl lost to Bulbasaur in beginning of Joto, so that argument doesn't hold water anymore. Poliwhirl/Politoad in late Johto and afterwards was much stronger.

And lastly your forgetting how Bulbasaur barely win being on its last forces. Poliwhirl despite its inexperience overpowered Ash veteran pokemon like Bulbasaur in every way. Water gun neutralized razor leaf, Body slam out powered its Physical attacks and barrage of Bubble beam put Bulbasaur on such edge that if Solar Beam was fired just second later, it would faint.

So while losing, it was more so that Ash Bulbasaur was saved in last minute. Rather than Ash outsmarting Misty in that battle.

I've never seen Ash and Misty ever outsmarting each other in any of the battles they had with each other. Misty using Togepi against Pikachu is "smartness" for some people while for others it's "cowardliness". Misty didn't outsmart Ash in the whirl cup, he lost because of his obliviousness about Psyduck's headache despite being aware of it.

Last edited:

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Not at all. I just don't see how a guy who lost almost every single on-screen match he was in could be ranked as highly as Drew or Solidad. :x

Harley has more experience than Dawn/Kenny and May stated in DP that Drew/Harley were stronger than ever and couldn't seem to beat either of them.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Iris's Dragonite is stronger than May's Blaziken,Misty's Gyaridos,and Dawn's Mamoswine as it could easily sweep any of the Female's teams on this list.

In terms of powerhouses

Misty
-Gyaridos

May
-Blaziken

Dawn
-Mamoswine

Iris
-Dragonite
-Excadrill

Well Blaziken battled competitively with Sceptile while Dragonite was capable of getting KOed by Krookodile and got completely obliterated by Charizard. Now I do think Dragonite is stronger overall since it wasn't fighting against Krookodile properly and Charizard would be stronger than Sceptile due to all the CW training, but I doubt that Dragonite is significantly above Blaziken (Dragonite will be deeply wounded even if it wins). If we're considering Excadrill as a powerhouse, then I'm counting Beautifly as a powerhouse (May's 2nd best and was able to do what Dawn never could; beat Zoey).

DatsRight

Harley has more experience than Dawn/Kenny and May stated in DP that Drew/Harley were stronger than ever and couldn't seem to beat either of them.

I find that odd, people praise May's return for conveying her increased progression and yet it's stated she's consistently losing to her rivals in the contests now?

Lunala

Banned
Misty has more votes than Serena now, so the balance of the world is back to normal or whatever.

I voted Mat but I guess Iris is a close second.

Genaller

Silver Soul
I find that odd, people praise May's return for conveying her increased progression and yet it's stated she's consistently losing to her rivals in the contests now?

Actually she only said that they were tough competition. She never explicitly says that they beat her and she certainly never says "consistently".

Navin

MALDREAD
I mean "waifu for Ash poll" in which we have seen in multiple polls here in the past that Amour obliterated other shippings by considerable margin, in the last poll amour won with 232 votes, pearl came second with 57 votes.

What would you expect if she's the main girl of the current generation (on top of ship teasing and being in Best Waifu contests)? Seven years from now, many of us won't be paying attention to this show anymore.