• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rank the Female Companions in Battling

Strongest Female Companion?

• Total voters

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
How is Serena leading? Seriously, I want a serious answer. I guess her effective command of Pikachu might make some difference, but I don't see it at all.

That was more Pikachu IMO, she panicked and had to be calmed down by Pikachu (and never explicitly said use Iron Tail on the ground).

Still, why Misty isn't one shotting her team idk

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
idk how serena is leading misty lol, misty could probably one-shot her entire team with gyarados.

Serena would call the battle off after an exchange of five moves.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Listed below are who I think in order is the strongest to weakest in battling. Bonnie, Lillie, Lana and Mallow are excluded for obivious reasons (Bonnie's too young to train Pokemon and the Alola companions have only recently appeared).

1. Dawn
2. May
3. Misty
4. Iris
5. Serena

Last edited:

DatsRight

I think before Serena was beating Misty by one vote. Can't fathom how Serena is getting more votes...oh wait! Every battle she's finished she's always been on the winning side!

Serena is a good example of how always winning doesn't mean squat in terms of skills and accomplishments. I can credit Iris more no matter what because she at least got that message thrown at her and tried to rectify it (in fact I'm almost tempted to think Serena just played it straight because Iris beforehand was so unpopular "No, no, THAT'S what they didn't like about her, she's just meant to win, win, win, and never be called out on it, it can't be that we screwed up with characterisation"). :p

Last edited:

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
How is Serena leading Misty? Seriously, I want a serious answer. I guess her effective command of Pikachu might make some difference, but I don't see it at all.

People are voting for who they like, not who is objectively the better battler. Is it so surprising given how every character ranking thread in this forum erupts into fan wars and [img139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/9a12e591.gif[/img139] stirring?

DatsRight

You forget, mentioning a flaw or weakness in a character or concept instead of spouting it's awesomeness means you must hate it entirely around here. :p

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
How did Serena get so many votes? She'd get curbstomped if she faced Dawn, May, and Misty. Iris is the only one she could handle if Iris was foolish enough to use a dragon against Sylveon.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
How did Serena get so many votes? She'd get curbstomped if she faced Dawn, May, and Misty. Iris is the only one she could handle if Iris was foolish enough to use a dragon against Sylveon.

Even then, she has that steel/ground competitive battling monster to pull on Serena.

DatsRight

Sylveon was useless against some Dark type Houndoom owned by Flare grunts, so I wouldn't even call type advantages a sure thing. Inkay and Slurpuff stand as her only victories, and even those are obscured by the whole 'evolution super boost invincibility' scenario (Gourgeist and Talonflame were the only Pokemon allowed to not be totally invincible during their evolution battle, not as good for suspense if they don't clean house in their new form you see).

pokemon fan 132

However, I have to disagree about Kingler's winning chances against Corsola. Granted, Misty's Corsola showed that it's a very strong Pokemon, I won't deny that. However, same can be definitely said against Kingler. It swept a league favourite's 3 Pokemon in Indigo League and it broke Cloyster's very tough shell. And in Whirl Cup it definitely had no trouble at all against Poliwhirl. Granted, Poliwhirl had gained some damage from Totodile but Kingler nevertheless showed extreme power in it Crabhammer attack, making huge waves on the battle field, and Poliwhirl's Bubble attack did no damage to Kingler (at least it looked like it, maybe it did some). I've recently watched Kingler vs Poliwhirl many times and I'm always very impressed by Kingler's power it has shown in it's few battles where it has fought.

Kingler is powerful. I never brought that in question. But based on what i saw i cannot deny how Corsola showed to possess more diverse range of moves compared to Poliwhirl. Astounding fast healing abilities and defense catching many opponents of guard like Harrison Quilfish in Whirl cup, Trinity Gyarados, gym leader Dorian Mantine, Georgio Delcatty etc.

Based on being much more suitable in neutralizing Ash Kingler long range moves through moves it had than Poliwhirl was and sheer strength of its spike canon. Makes me always question what would happen if Misty plans came to realization without Psyduck messing things up, Because she seemed very confident about her Corsola winning her the match. And considering how well it did vs runner up Trinity later on only increases my suspicion of people gross exaggeration over Psyduck hedache and Ash making stupid mistake "being only way Misty would have won".

Evidently underestimating Misty fighting skills.

Ash for Ash's and Misty's battle for Totodile, I think Ash won fair and square in a tough match. I also think Bulbasaur's win against Poliwhirl was a deserved one. I just watched it and it's while true that Poliwhirl's Tackle was stronger than Bulbasaur's, I think Bulbasaur had stronger range attacks. Maybe one could say that at that time Poliwhirl was stronger in physical attacks, while Bulbasaur was stronger in range attacks? I think Bulbasaur winning wasn't dem, but Bulbasaur won because it was in the end stronger and it has shown many times it's a stubborn Pokemon with a lot of endurance, so it made sense for it to endure Poliwhirl's attacks, albeit painfully.

Maybe, but Poliwhirl leading during whole battle making all Bulbasaur moves(from razor leaf to physical attacks like tackle ineffective) over maneuvering grass pokemon despite type advantage. Bulbasaur himself showing clear signs of fatique looking like it would collapse at any point being on last legs. Can give out impression how there was luck factor involved in charging Solar Beam just in time. Indicating how if it was late in firing it just a moment later, match could have went in entirely different direction.

You sound very biased. Using Togepi against Pikachu is not a "cunning" move, it is a dirty tactic and shows nothing about her skill as a trainer. It is no better than the King of Pokelantis using Sceptile to hide behind the referee, which I don't think you would view as a "cunning" strategy.

It seems we have very different definition of cunning.

Meaning of cunning:
-having or showing skill in achieving one's ends by deceit or evasion.

Intelligence can also be viewed as reflection of skill. Since it reveals person resourcefulness, quick thinking and ability to solve problems through creatuve planning.

And Misty was known for being very sharp minded/(in coming up with ideas how to escape dangerous situations like st. Anne, save someone life, anticipate and expose TR plans to which others were oblivioius, in battles etc).

Your example to Misty strategy is like comparing apples to Oranges. Because at end of the day Misty didn't cheat or used any dishonest actions. She sent legitimately one of her pokemon in battle, revealing wit in creatively neutralizing Pikachu factor against her pokemon team.

Just like i view sign of skill from her side when she was capable of commanding and knowing how to canalize power in optimal way from wild pokemon like Golduck. Or in using Ash and Brock pokemon in Princess tournament defeating trainers left and right with species she as solely water trainer was much, much less familiarized with.

How did Ash win because of plot? Chicorita was weaker but had the type advantage to defeat Staryu, and if anything the plot was on Misty's side because of Poliwhirl's deus ex evolution. It isn't stronger than Ash's bulbasaur anyways.

Type advantage was shown time after time to not be deciding factor in numerous battles by now. Sure it gives an edge to pokemon from side who has advantage, but there are other factors like resilience, stamina, trainer ability to use opponent strength against himself and adjust his/her pokemon for harsh conditions. Through original combination of attacks.

Fact that Chikorita would be defeated with single water gun if it didn't dig heels in last moment to soften blow say a lot about power of Misty Staryu. When offense is in question(hence why it was on pair with Mirage Mantine).

As for Poliwhirl. Considering for how long Misty had Poliwag(all the way back to Orange Islands),. Being used in battles and action of any sort regularly until that episode gives behind its evolution in that match if anything credibility. Considering it definitely accumulated more than enough experience and strength to be ready for next step.

But lets take a look at battle itself. Bulbasaur tried long range attacks. Poliwhirl proved to be too agile for it. It tried tackle, but Poliwhirl smashed it in ground/despite talking in here about veteran at that point among Ash pokemon). Poliwhirl barrage of bubble beam was Misty answer to solar beam, Being well aware how Bulbasar is wear out and such attacks take time to charge.

Amount of damage during whole process of charging was so accumulative and big that it was clearly shown on Bulbasaur how it was on brink of collapsing. Winning in end not because its "stronger". But solely for fact that it has incredibly big amount of stubbornness and resistance in itself. With Ash and Brock themselves in there not being sure who would've win until very end.

If anything it was Bulbasaur who had luck on its side in that battle. Because it managed to charge for solar beam at last moment, when it was matter of seconds before it would faint out.

Of course whirl cup was a legitimate win, but it proves nothing about Misty's skill as a trainer. She won because Ash was stupid, not because she was good. Misty told Psyduck to shake himself out of Kingler's vice grip, so it was quite clear that she wasn't planning intentionally for Psyduck's headache to activate.

Except once Psyduck was put under stronger grip, she was well aware how much headache can unlock its powers and establish stronger communication between her and pokemon(it was Misty who choose what attack Psyduck should use in there). Therefore using Ash miscalculation and poor choice of strategy to her advantage defeating him completely fairly.

Not like Psyduck was ever her choice there either. She wanted to send Corsola. But reflection of talented and strong trainer also lies in his perception, ability to solve problems through argute actions and in creased self awareness. And Misty proved to have such qualities when managing to turn losing situation to her advantage.

Which was once again resourcefulness.

If Psyduck didn't come out, Ash would have won. It doesn't matter how you think his "defensive and offensive techniques" would pose problems for Kingler, who has swept a league favorite's entire team and broke through a Cloyster's defense. Poliwhirl's bubble didn't even scratch Kingler, who was shown to be clearly stronger than Poliwhirl, who was stronger than the newly caught Corsola.

Your basing that on what? Kingler triumph over trainers in Kanto league who we cannot even accurately gauge their strength in comparison to Misty.

Not to mention your logic is very erroneous in here. Jumping fast to conclusions. "This because of this" oversimplifying things honestly.

Just because Corsola came after Poliwhirl, it could still be stronger than pokemon Mistry trained for all that time. Also Misty specifically stated not just in Whirl Cup but later through episodes(like when meeting up with her friend Sakura again) how her Corsola underwent extra hard and arduous training right before the tournament. And it already had good background behind herself in being strongest out of all Corsola on that island not being easy to catch at all.

Because more recently caught pokemon can definitely be stronger than older ones trainer would have in its team for years. This was shown best with Ash Greninja who easily outclass several pokemon Ash had for years and who received more experience from battling. Or Snorlax despite being newly caught pokemon at that time back in OI easily being among his top 3 despite lack of proper training and battle experience at that time.

Fact that Poliwhirl was outclassed fast by Trinity Gyarados. While Corsola managed to counter its offense through great defense defeating it with single blow perfectly shows that.

If Corsola was able to defeat such power like Gyarados through one spike canon. Im pretty sure Kingler wouldn't be able to withstand it either.

Combine that with recover and mirror coat, and everything points out how Ash and Kingler would have a very hard time in defeating coral pokemon.

Sure that doesn't mean how Corsola win was guaranteed if it came to that, butt neither was Kingler either. Not being in upper position at all.

As for Gyrados, it was caught after Misty left the show so it has done too little for us to pinpoint how strong it is. It defeated three random Tentacruel and Hansen's Shedninja, but I have no doubts that May's Blaiziken or Iris' dragonite would do the same. Also, being a strong species really isn't a good enough argument for me.

Gyarados was seen in action in same amount of episodes just like May Blaziken was once it evolved(total number of 2). Yet its draw vs grass pokemon Sceptile and tag battle Seven Stars tournament were enough for fans to conclude how May pokemon is "incredibly powerful".

Yet Misty Gyarados feats of destroying three fully evolved pokemon owned by trainers followed by defeating colonel Hanson Shedinja who outmatched all of Ash, Brock and May pokemon means nothing?
Or fact that it receives ton of training from someone who is fully specialized in raising and battling with water pokemon being trainer by profession.

Gyarados is for no good reason at all being considered as "weaker" than Dragonite, Blaziken, Mamoswine, hell going by poll results even Serena pokemon.

Needless to say how strong specie is by default in wild most certainly does matter. Its not same to catch or tame ordinary wild pokemon like Sandshrew, Castform or let say Unfeazant). Or tame someone like Gyarados who has enough stamina, brute power and versatility to destroy entire cities on its own spreading incredible destruction when in rage, With even champion Lance having anything but child play when catching wild Gyarados. So yes how strong specie is in wild already by default gives them significant edge, Let alone when being trained and taught creative moves to increase their survivability rate in battles like Misty did when teaching it unorthodox moves like flamethrower.

Talking about double standards and bias in here.

At this point it is just becoming a popularity poll. Any of the other companions can sweep Serena's team with one powerhouse.

Than its still a lose lose situation for Misty. Because if people are indeed voting based on their preference, Misty is least liked female lead around here. But than again she isn't anymore character you can even consider popular based on what i see on various sites and threads.

I think before Serena was beating Misty by one vote. Can't fathom how Serena is getting more votes...oh wait! Every battle she's finished she's always been on the winning side!

Misty effectively used Ash Pikachu too. First in Princess Festival tournament, than in "For Crying Out Loud!" etc. Being actually more impressive to see from someone who is mainly focused on catching and training water pokemon, yet still held required knowledge and ability to use productively different species. So even this cannot be taken as factor of Serena "superior battle abilities!".

Shooti

Uber Trainer
You know there is something wrong with the system or the people when you have Serena leading Misty on a "Strongest female battler " thread, I mean yes Serena is my joint favourite female lead in Pokemon with May but ideally she shouldn't be leading Misty in this poll. Heck, at this rate she would even surpass Iris on this thread.

Than its still a lose lose situation for Misty. Because if people are indeed voting based on their preference, Misty is least liked female lead around here. But than again she isn't anymore character you can even consider popular based on what i see on various sites and threads.

Misty still has lots of fans on youtube, tumblr, there are many people I know on youtube who left watching the show after Misty left the show. These people probably don't even know about existence of Iris and especially Serena.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
You know there is something wrong with the system or the people when you have Serena leading Misty on a "Strongest female battler " thread, I mean yes Serena is my joint favourite female lead in Pokemon with May but ideally she shouldn't be leading Misty in this poll. Heck, at this rate she would even surpass Iris on this thread.

The ones who all voted for Serena either are trolling for laughs and giggles or they didn't see the word BATTLING in the title.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Being a die-hard fan of Serena and loving Amourshipping with all my heart, I have to say that Serena should be at the bottom in terms of battling. However, I'm hoping that she becomes an excellent battler when she appears in the future as she is entering Contests which involves battling.

Charizard-Fan

Star Wars fan
Kingler is powerful. I never brought that in question. But based on what i saw i cannot deny how Corsola showed to possess more diverse range of moves compared to Poliwhirl. Astounding fast healing abilities and defense catching many opponents of guard like Harrison Quilfish in Whirl cup, Trinity Gyarados, gym leader Dorian Mantine, Georgio Delcatty etc.

Based on being much more suitable in neutralizing Ash Kingler long range moves through moves it had than Poliwhirl was and sheer strength of its spike canon. Makes me always question what would happen if Misty plans came to realization without Psyduck messing things up, Because she seemed very confident about her Corsola winning her the match. And considering how well it did vs runner up Trinity later on only increases my suspicion of people gross exaggeration over Psyduck hedache and Ash making stupid mistake "being only way Misty would have won".

Evidently underestimating Misty fighting skills.

Maybe, but Poliwhirl leading during whole battle making all Bulbasaur moves(from razor leaf to physical attacks like tackle ineffective) over maneuvering grass pokemon despite type advantage. Bulbasaur himself showing clear signs of fatique looking like it would collapse at any point being on last legs. Can give out impression how there was luck factor involved in charging Solar Beam just in time. Indicating how if it was late in firing it just a moment later, match could have went in entirely different direction.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been kind of busy last few days.

I just watched Misty vs Trinity and I have to admit I was very impressed by Corsola's Spike Cannon, it certainly was very powerful. I agree that Misty's Corsola would definitely stand a chance against Kingler. However, I still think Kingler would stand a chance too. They're both powerful pokemon with a lot of power in their attacks. Imo Ash would have to watch out for Corsola's Spike Cannon (Kingler might be able to endure 1 Spike Cannon but I doubt it would endure 2) but Misty would also have to watch out for Kingler's Crabhammer. I still think it's 50/50.

I'm sure we can agree, however, that Kingler would definitely stand a better chance against Corsola than Totodile. :D

About Bulbasaur vs Poliwhirl, while I see your point about Solarbeam firing just in time, I don't think Bulbasaur won with luch, though you didn't exactly say that Bulbasaur won only with luch or anything. Solarbeam could have been ready later, true, but it also could have been ready earlier, making it a bit easier for Bulbasaur to win. I think Bulbasaur would have lasted at least a few more seconds though, if Solarbeam would have been slower, due to it's stubborness and endurance.

pokemon fan 132

Sorry for the late reply, I've been kind of busy last few days.

I just watched Misty vs Trinity and I have to admit I was very impressed by Corsola's Spike Cannon, it certainly was very powerful. I agree that Misty's Corsola would definitely stand a chance against Kingler. However, I still think Kingler would stand a chance too. They're both powerful pokemon with a lot of power in their attacks. Imo Ash would have to watch out for Corsola's Spike Cannon (Kingler might be able to endure 1 Spike Cannon but I doubt it would endure 2) but Misty would also have to watch out for Kingler's Crabhammer. I still think it's 50/50.

I'm sure we can agree, however, that Kingler would definitely stand a better chance against Corsola than Totodile. :D

No problem, everything is fine.
Well, cant argue that. If it came down to Corsola vs Kingler like it was originally planned, I think we can say with certainty how battle would be close. Although based on Misty being more familiar with water pokemon, their weaknesses and abilities. Accompanied with seeming to have more enthusiasm, desire to win whole tournament(made sense since its heavily connected with her water master dream). I am under impression how odds were a bit more in her favor.

That said Kingler was at that time Ash strongest water pokemon and among better ones he had. So it is definitely not someone to underestimate, especially after incredible performance coming from use of crab hammer. Something against what Poliwhirl lacked adequate defense, but Corsola thanks to moves like mirror coat and recover ensuring to have better endurance would be able to cope with.

Regarding Totodile, that's for sure. It lost pretty quickly to Poliwhirl, and based on its win lose record through Johto still makes me think how in longer run giving it to Misty thus posessing one of starters would've been better move.

About Bulbasaur vs Poliwhirl, while I see your point about Solarbeam firing just in time, I don't think Bulbasaur won with luch, though you didn't exactly say that Bulbasaur won only with luch or anything. Solarbeam could have been ready later, true, but it also could have been ready earlier, making it a bit easier for Bulbasaur to win. I think Bulbasaur would have lasted at least a few more seconds though, if Solarbeam would have been slower, due to it's stubborness and endurance.

I didn't meant just luck persay. But more so that lot of things rather aligned in such way so that despite Misty pokemon evolving. Ash Bulbasaur still managed to come out on top. However ever since Poliwag evolved in that match, it looked like Ash pokemon was outmatched finding itself in inferior position,. Being one of reasons why i do not agree with presumptions coming from some fans how Bulbasaur was actually "stronger pokemon". Because if anything that wasn't the case at all with Solar Beam charging just in time being his very last resort he had to rely on.
Battle could have went there either way honestly.

Misty Poliwhirl, just like Staryu(its easily among Misty strongest pokemon implying it was her very first one given how often she use him and its remarkable power) is for some reason often underestimated. But I think Poliwhirl performance vs his fully evolved counterpart Poliwrath in Seaking competition, against Shelder in Whirl Cup preliminaries, Ash Totodile, TR Wobbuffet who is definitely not a walk through park. Accompanied with eventual evolution to Politoad if anything indicated how Poliwhirl could definitely be considered right after GYarados among Misty top pokemon.

Not sure who would be her secondary powerhouse. But logically its either Politioad or one of starfish pokemon(though Staryu seems to be more trained between two). Still Starmie was never fully explored and Psyduck is such a wild and unpredictable card that its hard to define true limit of strength and capabilities regarding some of Misty pokemon.:)

p96822

Evolve me please
Really if i want to say anything about the strongest battler in female companion. We have to see them face off many different type of Pokemon. how they raise those Pokemon and how they fought with them. If we see how the female character handle different situation with each Pokemon they fought during there travels with Ash and what happens after the journey.

Misty is character that we been auguring about if she was the strongest battler. Which I can say she is not that strong. As I said before there wasn't many time that Misty was put into a different situation like May or Dawn. She barely even battle that many trainers to make me think that she has grown that much as a Pokemon trainer at all. Really if they give Misty and Brock a little more battle focus then it would have been better. Gyarados could been in more battles with Misty.