• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rank the gym leaders/kahunas

TheCrazyMaster

How would you rank the all the gym leaders and kahunas in the anime from weakest to strongest? Anime exclusive gym leaders like Misty's sisters, Forrest and OI gym leaders are also included.

And if you don't feel like ranking all of them, which of them do you think make the top 3 and which three do you think are the worst?
And if you had to make an estimate, what tier would you place the strongest Kahuna on?

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Really hard to do considering how inconsistent the anime is. All I can say is that Korrina Volkner and Wulfric are probably high tier. Tho maybe not korrina, depends on the upcoming episodes about her. But again considering how the anime is inconsistent across each series with power levels, difficult to do so.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
That's really hard to do, considering there's 40 gym leaders lol

Volkner would probably be number one when it comes to skill and power, but weakest? Misty's sisters if they count, otherwise the answer is difficult

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't want to rank them all since that would take all day, but from my perspective the top three strongest Gym Leaders that we've seen thus far are:

1. Urup
  2. Ibuki
  3. Denzi
I rank Urup as the strongest since Satoshi lost to him and then needed Gekkouga's special form to win the rematch, Ibuki comes at second place since Satoshi wouldn't have won without Lizardon and Kabigon, and Denzi comes in third place because it seemed to me that Goukazaru was a hair away from losing to Rentorar.

TheCrazyMaster

Not technically but I think the OP is putting them in the same category as gym leaders because of them being the next best thing to real gym leaders in the Sun and Moon series.

Yep, pretty much. I'm also quite curious how people compare them to the gym leaders, especially considering Alola's more lax setting.

TheCrazyMaster

That's really hard to do, considering there's 40 gym leaders lol

Volkner would probably be number one when it comes to skill and power, but weakest? Misty's sisters if they count, otherwise the answer is difficult

They absolutely count. And I'd say the fact that they gave up being gym leaders after losing badly to three noobs isn't exactly flattering. Especially considering trainers in Kanto back in OS weren't exactly impressive.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Wulfric > Volkner > high gym leaders > mid > low.
As of Kahuna vs GL:
I would say Olivia and Hala are low gym level while Hapu and Nanu are mid gym leader level.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
As for Kahunas I think Hapu was the strongest one.

I personally think that Kuchinashi was more of a challenge for Satoshi than Hapu'u was, and I'm still a bit upset at how the writers handled the battle between Pikachu and Banbadoro and the mechanics involved in Pikachu's victory.

TheCrazyMaster

So I decided to update the poll after reading through some of the replies. Hopefully this will make it easier for anyone who doesn't know how to rank all of them.

nickdt

Strongest gym leader is 100% Wulfric
Strongest Kahuna is Oliva (Nanu isn't all that strong, especially since he got solo'd by Ash)
So my ranking
1. Wulfric
2. Volkner/Misty
3. Olivia

Pre-Alola Misty is weaker than Volkner, Post-Alola Misty is stronger.