• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rank the Pokemon Leagues

Leonhart

Imagineer
RafaSceptile said:
If we exclude Ash VS Ritchie, the Kanto League is decently good, at least considering it was the first league. The only problem I had was that TRio had too much screen time, which is noticeable when we had 2 battle halves in the same episode

I thought that the Rocket-dan's shenanigans should've been cut short since they added nothing to the League's plot. I disagree about Satoshi versus Hiroshi being the only bad battle in the tournament, however. I didn't like that Satoshi's second battle [the one on the rock field] wasn't fully shown, and Satoshi's Fushigidane beating both Kaoruko's Spear and Strike but then losing to Madatsubomi of all things seemed ridiculous to me.

RafaSceptile

I thought that the Rocket-dan's shenanigans should've been cut short since they added nothing to the League's plot. I disagree about Satoshi versus Hiroshi being the only bad battle in the tournament, however. I didn't like that Satoshi's second battle [the one on the rock field] wasn't fully shown, and Satoshi's Fushigidane beating both Kaoruko's Spear and Strike but then losing to Madatsubomi of all things seemed ridiculous to me.

It is not the only bad battle, but it is the worst by far. The other ones weren't AS bad. Ash's first battle with Krabby/Kingler was OK at least, the episode with 2 halves battles was bad by TRio intervention, because of that we can't see any of those battles completely. And the other battle with Muk was the best one, at least good I guess.

Applecorp

I didn't like that Satoshi's second battle [the one on the rock field] wasn't fully shown

Seriously what was up with that? They skipped most of the match and spent half the episode showing Ash and friends looking for a Pokemon Center. What a freaking waste of time.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:
Seriously what was up with that? They skipped most of the match and spent half the episode showing Ash and friends looking for a Pokemon Center. What a freaking waste of time.

It bothered me almost as much as seeing Shigeru lose early in the tournament, although I could still get over that fairly easily since he hadn't been given much presence in the series overall at that point, so in hindsight his ranking in the tournament didn't matter.

SerenaRulez

If we exclude Ash VS Ritchie, the Kanto League is decently good, at least considering it was the first league. The only problem I had was that TRio had too much screen time, which is noticeable when we had 2 battle halves in the same episode

I didn't like Team Rocket's merchandise stall scenes at the Indigo league because even with all the money they were earning it did not amount to anything in the end except the same old machines that they always used to steal Pokemon.

Applecorp

I didn't like Team Rocket's merchandise stall scenes at the Indigo league because even with all the money they were earning it did not amount to anything in the end except the same old machines that they always used to steal Pokemon.

The TR parts of the Kanto league felt like they were tacked on to waste time but I did laugh when Officer Jenny blasted them out of the sky that one time when they flew over the stadium with those giant Pikachu dolls. :D

Saraneon

It's my opinion so hopefully you won't get sad/mad ^^
Also I didn't watch Alola League so eeek. But I heard people say it's pretty good, so I think if I had watched it I would have ranked it quite high.

Hands down, in my sleep, always in a million worlds Sinnoh > Kalos > Johto x Hoenn tie > Pikachu's battle with that Paras > Kanto x Unova tie

Sinnoh with Paul was/is/always will be epic (yes) and Kalos was pretty good too. Johto's battle with Gary and Harrison were cool and Hoenn too was pretty good. Then we have... Kanto and Unova. Not the worst, but not the best either...

I've changed my mind

1- Sinnoh L
Nando, Barry, Conway, Paul
Best rival, a character with some complexity like Nando, Barry was not just any unknown rival who appeared a few episodes like Morrison or Cameron, without a doubt a better rival than the previous two. One of the best battles ever (Ash vs Paul). This is the best League...Much better than the rest

2- Kalos L
Sawyer was a good rival to Ash, I really liked the final battle between the two was pretty good. Alain at least was important in the plot.

3- Alola L
His strongest point was definitely showing us many battles, the battle between Kiawe and Gladio was very full of emotion, Ash vs Gladio was up to the task, Gladio was almost as important during SM as Paul was in DP and Ash vs Kukui was an excellent closing. My problem is that there was no 6 vs 6 or at least 5 vs 5 in the final stages, if it had been like that, I would definitely be in second position

4- Johto L
The rivalry between Ash and Gary ends, Ash vs Harrison was decent

5- Hoenn L
The Virgin Johto League

6. Kanto L
Ash's first big stumble. Was a very significant league for his trainer career.

7. Unova L
At least Stephan was here ... I guess

Haven't watched them all but
1. Sinnoh
2. Johto
3. Kalos
4. Hoenn
5. Kanto
6. Unova
7. Alola

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Alola got good as it went on, (not counting Hau), don't see why people are so bothered by 1 on 1's.
I liked the Alola league, but the nonexistent barrier to participate in the league and the general comedic/laid back nature of SM in addition to the terrible Ash vs Hau are pretty valid reasons to not like it.

RafaSceptile

I liked the Alola league, but the nonexistent barrier to participate in the league and the general comedic/laid back nature of SM in addition to the terrible Ash vs Hau are pretty valid reasons to not like it.
I still think the nonexistent barrier is a bad excuse, in the end during previous leagues the only characters who had the spotlight were the knew ones (almost always) and it doesn't guaranteed a good battle.

Trillion

1) Sinnoh
2) Kalos
3) Hoenn
4) Johto
5) Unova
6) Alola
7) Kanto

if i were to count Ash and Kukui's battle then Alola would be in the fourth spot just off of that alone, but technically that was post-league

DatsRight

I have to say I kinda prefer the Alola League's structure story wise really, since it was a good way to give everyone some final turn in the limelight, though I can see how it interferes with the premise that Ash climbed his way to the top to reach it.

In all fairness though, the Elite Four championship was made for that in the games themselves. The anime hasn't even bothered touching that, despite implying it exists. I actually feel like THAT would have been a better thing to place at the end of each gym quest from the beginning with the league being like some big prestige tournament in the region like the Battle Frontier/Tree. That or changing the rules for the league every series so it felt less like some generic road block to Ash's quest.

Morax

King of heroes
In all fairness though, the Elite Four championship was made for that in the games themselves. The anime hasn't even bothered touching that, despite implying it exists. I actually feel like THAT would have been a better thing to place at the end of each gym quest from the beginning with the league being like some big prestige tournament in the region like the Battle Frontier/Tree. That or changing the rules for the league every series so it felt less like some generic road block to Ash's quest
My problem is the anime doesn't give me a reason to root for ash. Why should i cheer for him? Because he's the main character? Literally every trainer who participates wants to win it, so what makes ash special?

Unless there are stakes involved or he's got something to prove like in Ash vs Paul and Ash vs Guzma, every league has been plot armor galore ( especially kalos and alola ).

I love that XY kept Team flare for the finale because not only did it make everybody relevant again but it also tells you that Ash and Pikachu are not the centre of the universe. And alola made everything seem about ash all over again

PokemonBattleFanatic-

1.Sinnoh League
-Ash vs Paul
-Ash vs Conway

-Ash vs Tobias
-Paul vs Barry
-Ash vs Nando

2.Hoenn League
-Ash vs Katie
-Ash vs Tyson
-Ash vs Morrison
-Ash vs Clark
-Ash vs Dominick
-Morrison vs Gavin

3.Johto League
-Ash vs Harrison
-Ash vs Gary
-Ash vs Jackson
-Ash vs Macy

4.Kalos League
-Ash vs Alain
-Ash vs Sawyer
-Sawyer vs Tierno

5.Alola League
-Ash vs Kukui
-Ash vs Guzma
-Ash vs Gladion

6.Unova League
-Ash vs Stephan
-Cameron vs Bianca

7.Kanto League
BOTTOM OF THE BARRELL
HOT GARBAGE

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Cameron vs Bianca is underrated, I really enjoyed it
Also Kiawe vs Gladion, Lana vs Guzma, Ilima vs Guzma and Kiawe vs Acerola and Sophocles feel pretty underrated to me as well when it comes to the alola league