• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rank your favorite Pokemon Generations

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Rank your favorite Pokemon Generations, your favorite from top to bottom! Let's Go!

So based on the games alone anyway, my favorite from top to bottom would absolutely be...
  • Unova
  • Alola
  • Johto
  • Hoenn
  • Sinnoh
  • Kalos
  • Kanto
For the Adventures manga, this is a much harder one to rank because the manga really shows how beautiful and amazing each region is, making each region feel like it's own character. Even Kanto, a barebones region in the games, in the much older artstyle gives readers a sense of adventure.
  • Sinnoh
  • Unova
  • Hoenn
  • Johto
  • Kalos
  • Alola
  • Kanto
So for the anime, this might come as a surprise to some of you but I ranked Unova a bit higher because you have to admit that even with the terrible storytelling even by Pokemon anime standards, so many of the locations Ash & Co. visit are really beautiful.
  • Kalos
  • Alola
  • Unova
  • Kanto
  • Sinnoh
  • Johto
  • Hoenn
Finally there's the TCG! Yeah! You weren't expecting the TCG huh! But in all seriousness, the TCG can has some really gorgeous, peaceful and mysterious artwork, in-game or not, of certain locations that are in or around each region. It makes it feel like your seeing a journal of locations that actually exist in each region but you can never really visit.
  • Hoenn
  • Kalos
  • Johto
  • Alola
  • Unova
  • Sinnoh
  • Kanto

Last edited:

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
5 - probably the peak of the series, in my opinion
4 - Platinum and HGSS were pretty amazing games, great story and region
7 - solid region and story all around
3 - improved a lot upon previous entries
6 - weaker region and story, but not terrible
2 - only not last because generation 1 was kind of a broken mess: I have a lot of issues with Johto
1 - kind of a buggy mess and didn’t age well, but did start the series off

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
Games. Kanto is automatically last since I haven't played any kanto games + all the pandering it gets. Johto is just HGSS..Hoenn is just ORAS & Sinnoh is just Dp
7.Kanto
6.Kalos
5.Sinnoh
4.Alola
3.Unova
2.Hoenn
1.Johto

Anime
7.Alola
6.Unova
5.Kanto
4.Kalos
3.Johto
2.Sinnoh
1.Hoenn

The new pokemon Introducted in each region
7.Unova
6.Kalos
5.Johto
4.Kanto
3.Alola
2.Hoenn
1.Sinnoh.

The region itself. Environment, culture. etc
7.Kanto
6.Hoenn
5.Alola
4.Kalos
3.Johto
2.Unova
1.Sinnoh
Total:
7.Kanto 7 + 5 + 4 + 7 = 23
6.Kalos 6 + 4 + 6 + 4 = 20
5.Alola 4 + 7 + 3 + 5 = 19
4.Unova 3 + 6 + 7 + 2 = 18
3.Johto 1 + 3 + 5 + 3 = 12
2.Hoenn 2 + 1 + 2 + 6 = 11
1.Sinnoh 5 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 9

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Games:

Anime (I haven't really seen any of the SM anime, so it's not in this list):

ebevan91

4, 6, 7, 3, 5, 2, 1

Remakes and 3rd versions, sequels, alternate version, etc. influence my rankings heavily.

If we go by just the initial pair of games, then it'd be more like

3, 2, 6, 7, 5, 4, 1

I didn't play Diamond or Pearl but I've seen enough of them to where I'd rank them pretty low.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Games: 4 (tho HGSS would be much lower if we counted individual games)>7>6>5>3>1>>>>2

Anime: 4>3>6>7>1>5>2

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I didn't play Diamond or Pearl but I've seen enough of them to where I'd rank them pretty low.

I didn't play DP either, but it was more because I skipped over them. I actually missed out on Gen 4 when it first came out, but three years ago I got to play Platinum, which I think is way better than DP in terms of story, Pokémon and post-game.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm going to exclude Gen 1 and 2 because I started playing in Gen 3, so it wouldn't be fair. Least to best, it goes Gen 6, Gen 4, Gen 7, Gen 3 and then Gen 5

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Going purely on the games, I woulds say:

Unova > Alola > Sinnoh > Johto > Hoenn > Kalos

I refuse to rank Kanto on this list, because R/B/Y are very much a case of Seinfeld is Unfunny and therefore it feels unfair to compare them to the other generations. To rank them low is akin to ranking Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs or Pinocchio low on a list of Disney movies just because they don't do what future Disney movies do. Or dismissing some of the earliest forms of cinema for technological reasons. And I also feel it's unfair to compare LGPE to the main titles, because they're aimed at a different audience than the core titles. So yeah, no Kanto here.

I do feel Alola is underrated and Sinnoh is overrated, but both are just at those points in the Pokemon cycle (current generation is often considered the worst, while generations from 2-3 generations ago are often considered the peak of the series). That will probably change once Alola has been out of the spotlight for a few years and Sinnoh gets remade.

For the anime, I would say:

Sinnoh > Alola > Kanto > Kalos > Hoenn > Johto > Unova

Again, I feel Alola is a little underrated, but because of how different SM are compared to the others, it's inherently not going to be everybody's cup of tea.

Red and Blue

Games:
1. Unova
2. Sinnoh
3. Alola
4. Johto
5. Hoenn
6. Kalos
7. Kanto

Anime:
1. Sinnoh
2. Hoenn
3. Kanto
4. Johto
5. Kalos
6. Alola
7. Unova

Unsurprisingly Alola seems to rank bottom on a lot of people's list join regards to the anime

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Games that I’ve played

Black 2

Y

Ultra sun

Black/Heart gold

Platnium

Let’s Go

Sun

Gold

I have t played all of them yet

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Oh goodness... this is a tough one. I can't judge without doing some categorizing, so I'll use wolf jani's method. From strongest to weakest:

Games (By main titles, not remakes)
BW - They have special meaning for me, among other things.
DP - Despite not getting the most out of them because I missed out on Platinum.
SwSh - Me? Prematurely ranking the games? Nonsense!
SM - They were average. Really not bad.
GS - These felt so alive and vibrant in their heyday. Could've aged better.
XY - I felt they were sort of weak. Still enjoyable, though.
RG(B) - I'm surprised by their replay-ability in spite of... everything.
RuSa - I have a lot of gripes with the games, but they did a great job updating and refreshing the franchise.

Anime
I haven't really watched the anime since Johto, maybe Hoenn? (I did however watch bits and pieces of Unova at the beginning.) I'm in no position to judge.

Pokemon Introduced
Gen V
Gen IV
Gen II
Gen VI
Gen VIII
Gen I
Gen VII
Gen III

Region/Culture
Johto
Sinnoh
Unova/Isshu
Hoenn
Kalos
Galar
Alola
Kanto

Total
Gen I - 2 + 3 + 1 = 6
Gen II - 4 + 6 + 8 = 18
Gen III - 1 + 1 + 5 = 7
Gen IV - 7 + 7 + 7 = 21
Gen V - 8 + 8 + 6 = 22
Gen VI - 3 + 5 + 4 = 12
Gen VII - 5 + 2 + 2 = 9
Gen VIII - 6 + 4 + 3 = 13

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I kinda like the whole rank system based on different aspects of each of the generations that Kyuu-Tales did so I'll give that a go:

Games:
1) Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: Mostly my nostalgia speaking, but I had immense fun with these games and I came to love nearly every aspect of them. Easily my most memorable and cherished experience in the series thus far.
2) BW/BW2: A VERY close second for me. I loved this generation, and it's what got me back into the franchise after a hiatus from my disappointment with Gen 4.
3) SM/USUM: Gets a lot of heat mostly for it being too linear and the unskippable cutscenes, but I absolutely adored this generation. The story in both sets was great and the characters were all enjoyable and unique.
4) X/Y: These games were great for casual play and shiny hunting, and they had a lot of replay value because of how easy the games were and how many different things you could do to spice up gameplay.(Wonderlockes, monotype runs, etc...) Megas were great additions as well, but the story was non-existent, characters were bland as ever, and it introduced the least amount of Pokemon in the series. Reminds me though... I still need to finish my Y playthrough I started before SM came out!
5) R/B/Y: Gotta give these games credit for starting it all and introducing a bunch of iconic creatures into the world, as well as some of my favorites. The characters are in the same boat. Story was... not there though, and with it being the first entry, it had a plethora of problems.
6) G/S/C: Didn't really play too much of this generation honestly, and that's why I don't have much of an attachment to these installments.
7) D/P/Pt: I did not like this generation much at all. The characters for the most part are boring, the soundtrack was very monotonous and not very memorable, had my least favorite trio of starters, the pacing was terrible and slow, etc...

Pokemon Introduced:
1) Gen 5
2) Gen 3
3) Gen 7
4) Gen 6
5) Gen 4
6) Gen 1
7) Gen 2

Region Itself:
1) Hoenn
2) Alola
3) Kalos
4) Unova
5) Sinnoh
6) Johto
7) Kanto

Story:
1) Gen 5
2) Gen 7
3) Gen 3
4) Gen 4
5) Gen 2
6) Gen 6
7) Gen 1

Total(out of 28 points):
Hoenn: 25/28
Unova: 24/28
Alola: 22/28
Kalos: 15/28
Sinnoh: 9/28
Johto: 8/28
Kanto: 7/28

Huh. Honestly wasn't surprised until I got to Sinnoh. Generally I just rate the generations based on my experience playing those games, so it tends to look exactly like the first ranking. Not surprised at all that Gen 3, 5, and 7 are on top. Love those generations.

Guess Gen 4 isn't as terrible as I think, but that doesn't mean it's a good generation in my eyes. Hopefully the remakes for them change my stance on them.

Also I think with the more exposure to Gen 1 we get, the less I appreciate it. I'm sure if this was a year or two ago, Gen 2 would be on bottom and Gen 4 would be beneath Gen 1.