• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ranking Ash's Pokémon from Strongest to Weakest

Who is Ash's strongest Pokémon?

• Sceptile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infernape

• Snorlax

• Heracross

• Krookodile

• Pidgeot

• Total voters

Torpoleon

So, Ash has amassed a decent collection of Pokémon over the years, each with varying levels of strength.

How would you rank them from strongest to weakest? This is not a favorites list! Feel free to include Pokémon Ash has released, traded away, given away, sent to training, etc.

kQJybcR.png

Here's my list. Didn't include Aipom because it is not Ash's anymore. Also didn't include Butterfree, Primeape, Lapras, Poipole, Haunter, Larvitar and Nebby because I don't feel Ash used them enough to determine their strength.

As for what I picked, I put Pikachu as the strongest because he is Ash's starter. Charizard and Sceptile are right behind, making Ash's Top 3 his only Pokémon that have beaten legendaries (movies excluded). Of course, Greninja and Infernape have shown great strength, as has Snorlax.

Most of his fully evolved Pokémon are closer to the top, naturally. There are obvious exceptions, notably Pikachu, Squirtle and Bulbasaur. And then of course most of his weaker Pokémon would be unevolved Pokémon, especially from more recent series.

I based this list on a number of things, such as a Pokémon's wins (particularly who they won/lost against) and their length of time being with Ash.

Feel free to just make a Top 6 or Top 10 or whatever you want. Interested to know what everyone else thinks!

DatsRight

Why would Rowlet be ranked so low? It knocked out opponents in nearly all of the early SM trials. It may not be top tier but I'd think it'd be at least closer to the C-E area.

MockingJ

Banned
Not to step on your toes, but why is Torterra ranked so high? He was a glass cannon who lost all his battles as a Torterra, plus I don't remember his win record before his evolution being that good either?

This is not a favorites list

But that is what this will turn into.

Pikachu/Charizard/Sceptile/Greninja/Infernape being his strongest Pokemon is something that almost everyone can agree on, but I don't consider Snorlax to be on that tier. I don't even remember his last battle much less his supposedly impressive accomplishments that put him on Charizard's level.

Dream Lad

Banned
The List (fite me):

S: Pikachu/Charizard/Greninja/Sceptile/Infernape/Snorlax

A: Krookodile/Heracross/Bulbasaur/Swellow/Gliscor/Glalie/Hawlucha/Kingler

B: Lycanroc/Squirtle/Gible/Pignite/Goodra/Torterra/Talonflame/Corphish/Quilava/Torkoal

C: Noivern/Tauros/Staraptor/Buizel/Noctowl/Leavanny/Bayleef/Donphan/Torracat/Palpitoad/Muk

D: Snivy/Unfezant/Rowlet/Boldore/Oshawott/Scraggy/Totodile/Meltan

I'm not counting Butterfree, Primeape, Pidgeot, Lapras, and Poipole because they're gone.

Ilikepiex7

But that is what this will turn into.

Pikachu/Charizard/Sceptile/Greninja/Infernape being his strongest Pokemon is something that almost everyone can agree on, but I don't consider Snorlax to be on that tier. I don't even remember his last battle much less his supposedly impressive accomplishments that put him on Charizard's level.
Snorlax's last battle small cameo battle at sinnoh league where it beat a grumpig and the one before that it beat two fighting types Hariyama and medicham belonging a Frontier Brain so that's impressive considering that's 2 powerful mons that had type advantage over it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
That tier list looks pretty accurate, although I'd personally place Cotoise in the D or E rank since other than its battle with Registeel (which it lost), I don't recall Cotoise doing anything noteworthy other than a few smaller battles.

Torpoleon

Why would Rowlet be ranked so low? It knocked out opponents in nearly all of the early SM trials. It may not be top tier but I'd think it'd be at least closer to the C-E area.
Hmm, maybe. I mean it is still an unevolved starter and hasn't Ash used Torracat, Lycanroc and Pikachu for the more recent trials?

Not to step on your toes, but why is Torterra ranked so high? He was a glass cannon who lost all his battles as a Torterra, plus I don't remember his win record before his evolution being that good either?
I wouldn't say that I ranked Torterra high. It's really right around the middle. W/L record wasn't terrible as a Turtwig or Grotle (not getting a win at Wake's gym was awkward though).

When it evolved into Torterra, it lost to Volkner's Electivire, which knew Fire Punch and Ice Punch. It also lost to Bertha's Hippowdon, but that was an E4 Pokémon. Finally, it lost to Paul's Drapion, but it was severely disadvantaged and Drapion honestly caused problems for most of Ash's team. Also, at the end of the day, Torterra is a fully evolved starter.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

TIER LIST

S: (Greninja) (Charizard) (Infernape) (Sceptile) (Pikachu) (Snorlax)
A: (Swellow) (Krookodile) (Glalie) (Kingler) (Bulbasaur) (Heracross) (Gliscor)
B: (Talonflame) (Torterra) (Torkoal) (Gible) (Pignite) (Squirtle) (Buizel) (Corphish) (Noctowl) (Leavanny) (Hawlucha) (Goodra)
C: (Palpitoad) (Tauros) (Donphan) (Staraptor) (Quilava)
D: (Unfezant) (Snivy) (Muk) (Bayleef)
E: (Oshawott) (Totodile) (Scraggy) (Noivern) (Boldore)

TOP 10 LIST
1.Greninja (Bond Phenomenon)
2.Charizard
3.Infernape (Blaze)
4.Pikachu (Deus Ex Machina/Haxachu/Peakachu)
5.Sceptile (Overgrow)
6.Sceptile
7.Infernape
8.Pikachu
9.Snorlax
10.Greninja

Dream Lad

Banned
1. 7 divisions is too much. There is a gap among Ash's Pokemon, but not 7 divisions of gap.
2. Gible is way too low. Gible saved Ash against Conway, and Tobias was so impressed he said its Draco Meteor would have KO'd anybody else but Darkrai.
3. Tauros doesn't have enough great feats to be in the A-tier. Only thing Muk did was earn a gimmick win against that Bellsprout. Likewise, I think Donphan should be a level lower.
4. I think it's more accurate if you combined "A" and "B", "C" and "D", and "E" and "F".

TOP 10 LIST
1 Current Charizard
2-10. Who cares?

Fixed.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

TOP 10 LIST
1 Current Charizard
2-10. Who cares?
Yep pretty much,Charizard is the only pokemon to go through real legitimate training,at least from the S tier.It doesn't need abilities like Blaze or Bond Phenomenon and it's power doesn't reset or spike up to stupid levels out of thin air.It got the best development out of Ash's pokemon and is just a total bada**.

Last edited:

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Pikachu is the most powerful because he was able to overpower Latios' STAB Luster Purge with Volt Tackle. No other Pokemon of Ash's was ever shown being able to overpower a legend.

Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile round out the top three based on the feats of KOing legends. I would put Infernape right below it because while it didn't have a great showing against Flint, it knows Flare Blitz, the physical equivalent of Fire Blast.

Greninja and Krookodile are really hard to tell apart, honestly. Greninja doesn't have many impressive feats, with its best win against Mega Abomasnow. Greninja doesn't know Hydro Pump, so we don't know if it was really as strong as it could have been.
Krookodile beat Iris' Dragonite, but it seemed distracted during the battle, and it was being thrown around like a rag doll. It's most impressive victory is beating Stephan's Sawk while weakened and with a type disadvantage, which was a powerhouse that won the Clubsplosion. However, Krookodile had to sacrifice Crunch in the process.

After this, as a rule of thumb, the Pokemon is strong if it knows the most powerful move of its type (Solar Beam, Leaf Storm, Hydro Pump, Stone Edge, Brave Bird, Fire Blast, Draco Meteor). It's also strong if it's evolved. The only exception is Palpitoad which learns Hydro Pump early. Ash's was specified to be weaker than his Oshawott, even before Oshawott learned Hydro Pump.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Pikachu is the most powerful because he was able to overpower Latios' STAB Luster Purge with Volt Tackle. No other Pokemon of Ash's was ever shown being able to overpower a legend.

Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile round out the top three based on the feats of KOing legends. I would put Infernape right below it because while it didn't have a great showing against Flint, it knows Flare Blitz, the physical equivalent of Fire Blast.

Greninja and Krookodile are really hard to tell apart, honestly. Greninja doesn't have many impressive feats, with its best win against Mega Abomasnow. Greninja doesn't know Hydro Pump, so we don't know if it was really as strong as it could have been.
Krookodile beat Iris' Dragonite, but it seemed distracted during the battle, and it was being thrown around like a rag doll. It's most impressive victory is beating Stephan's Sawk while weakened and with a type disadvantage, which was a powerhouse that won the Clubsplosion. However, Krookodile had to sacrifice Crunch in the process.

After this, as a rule of thumb, the Pokemon is strong if it knows the most powerful move of its type (Solar Beam, Leaf Storm, Hydro Pump, Stone Edge, Brave Bird, Fire Blast, Draco Meteor). It's also strong if it's evolved. The only exception is Palpitoad which learns Hydro Pump early. Ash's was specified to be weaker than his Oshawott, even before Oshawott learned Hydro Pump.
Mega sceptile says hi (not to mention standing toe to toe with Alain's MCX, doing quite well against Diantha's M Gardevoir, and being one of the remaining 3 against Lysandre's beast of a M Gyarados

Dream Lad

Banned
Mega sceptile says hi (not to mention standing toe to toe with Alain's MCX, doing quite well against Diantha's M Gardevoir, and being one of the remaining 3 against Lysandre's beast of a M Gyarados

Greninja absolutely deserves to be in any conversation of Ash's top 3 because of those quality losses. Truly, I don't think there's an actual "strongest Pokemon", though I would say current Charizard (especially with how much the anime loves this species) is probably the most seasoned and consistent out of any of them considering how he was depicted in Best Wishes. The writers would make any hypothetical battle among those universally regarded top 5 or 6 Pokemon epic. They've all won tough battles and/or have done impressive things. They would never have Charizard or Ash-Greninja mop the floor out of any of them.

Leonhart

Imagineer
On second thought, I would also rank Fukamaru higher since it seemed to be one of Satoshi's most reliable Pokemon at the Shinou League. I definitely don't think it should be ranked low with Tsutarja and Hatoboh.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Hmm, maybe. I mean it is still an unevolved starter and hasn't Ash used Torracat, Lycanroc and Pikachu for the more recent trials?

I wouldn't say that I ranked Torterra high. It's really right around the middle. W/L record wasn't terrible as a Turtwig or Grotle (not getting a win at Wake's gym was awkward though).

When it evolved into Torterra, it lost to Volkner's Electivire, which knew Fire Punch and Ice Punch. It also lost to Bertha's Hippowdon, but that was an E4 Pokémon. Finally, it lost to Paul's Drapion, but it was severely disadvantaged and Drapion honestly caused problems for most of Ash's team. Also, at the end of the day, Torterra is a fully evolved starter.
Rowlet has had a good showcasing in 2 Trials & 2 Grand Trials, which is more than any of his team bar Pikachu
Pikachu: 2 Grand Trials and 2 Trials
Lycanroc: 2 Grand Trials
Torracat: 1 Trial
Meltan: lol

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Greninja, in its Ash-Greninja form, is definitely the strongest. I don't really think that any other Pokemon of Ash tops it when it comes to strength.

Last edited:

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member

There's no evidence that Sceptile is stronger than Abomasnow. Both are equally threatening as Grass-type Megas with powerful Grass-type attacks, but Sceptile also lost to Greninja in three of their prior battles. It was also lower level, since Greninja was already a Frogadier when Sawyer was just starting out. Finally, Wulfric implied he didn't use the Mega form against Sawyer, only deeming it necessary to beat Ash-Greninja.

There were several weak Megas in the Kalos League, but only two Gym Leaders had them. Korrina barely had control over her Lucario, while Wulfric clearly mastered control of his Abomasnow.

Therefore, I take it as the more impressive victory. The evidence in favour of Sawyer is very scant and flimsy.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
There's no evidence that Sceptile is stronger than Abomasnow. Both are equally threatening as Grass-type Megas with powerful Grass-type attacks, but Sceptile also lost to Greninja in three of their prior battles. It was also lower level, since Greninja was already a Frogadier when Sawyer was just starting out. Finally, Wulfric implied he didn't use the Mega form against Sawyer, only deeming it necessary to beat Ash-Greninja.

There were several weak Megas in the Kalos League, but only two Gym Leaders had them. Korrina barely had control over her Lucario, while Wulfric clearly mastered control of his Abomasnow.

Therefore, I take it as the more impressive victory. The evidence in favour of Sawyer is very scant and flimsy.
Mega Sceptile wrecked a Blastoise and Raichu in the previous battle between Sawyer & Tierno without breaking a sweat, I guess that you didn't even see it...I mean it wrecked Blastoise even before it even Mega Evolved LMAO.

Overall Mega Sceptile was able to give Ash-Greninja a tougher time than Mega Abomasnow did, and that enough to suggest that it was certainly stronger that Mega Abomasnow.

And apart from that, Ash-Greninja did even overpower Kalos Champion Diantha Mega Gardevoir for a few moments and was able to make it sweat and scream it pain, especially when Champions are depicted are literally invincible in the anime: Cynthia's Garchomp destroyed Paul's starter Torterra, also Ash has been utterly demolished by Elite Four members in the past, like vs Drake, vs Flint (I mean that Flint's Infernape one-shotted Ash's Infernape like a joke). And this time he battled a freaking regional Champion like Diantha and still was able to gain the upper hand momentarily and able to do solid damage.

And in the Kalos League Finals, Ash-Greninja was able to go toe to toe with Alain's God-Tier/broken Mega Charizard X (who had a track record of defeating 10 Mega Evolved Pokemon in a row, including one belonging to Kalos E4 member Malva + sweeping through almost the entire Kalos League prior to the finals) and was able to go toe to toe for a long time before finally losing.

How Ash-Greninja fought against Diantha's Gardevoir and Alani's Mega Charizard X (which by feats was easily above E4 level) is more than enough to cement it's status Ash's strongest Pokemon till date. I personally consider it strong enough to go toe to toe with E4 level ace Pokemon and possibly even beat one.

------------------------

Anyways, my tiering of all of Ash's Pokemon in terms of strength would go like:

Tier Z (highest tier)

Greninja (Ash-Greninja)

Tier S +

Pikachu (Peakachu), Charizard

Tier S -

Infernape (Blaze), Sceptile

Tier A+

Snorlax

Tier A-

Krookodile, Bulbasaur

Tier B+

Lycanroc, Heracross, Gliscor, Torkoal

Tier B-

Swellow, Hawlucha, Gible, Glalie, Squirtle, Kingler

Tier C+

Torterra, Talonflame, Pignite, Goodra, Leavanny, Corphish, Buizel

Tier C-

Bayleef, Quilava, Staraptor, Noivern, Noctowl, Donphan, Torracat

Tier D+

Palpitoad, Rowlet

Tier D-

Boldore, Scraggy, Unfezant

Tier E (bottommost tier)

Oshawott, Totodile

The ones while I didn't tier due to lack of information/insufficient amount of battles they were involved in:

Pidgeot, Muk, Lapras, Poipole, Meltan

Last edited: