• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ranking the Pokégirls

Which Pokégirl fits Ash the best?

• Serena

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Misty

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • May

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Dawn

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Uris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lillie

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Mallow

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Lana

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
The Icium Z wasn't to repay for the Ice Stone, it was to repay Lillie for defending the Sandshrew from Tyranitar. If it was about the Ice Stone it'd have given the Icium Z to Sophocles.
I thought that ice stone was meant to be a fake out. Meant to make viewers like me get REALLY angry when it goes to a wild pokemon Lillie didn't even caught and then reignite that hope when the second Ice Stone shows up.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I thought that ice stone was meant to be a fake out. Meant to make viewers like me get REALLY angry when it goes to a wild pokemon Lillie didn't even caught and then reignite that hope when the second Ice Stone shows up.

Pretty sure it was yes. Also to have the opportunity to show Sandshrew evolving and to show that with Sandshrew now a Sandslash the group would be safer in the future than before.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In terms of which girl suits Satoshi the most when it comes to friendship chemistry, I'd say Hikari. She was a good foil for him, and I liked that they were often in-sync with each other. Kasumi would come next, followed by Serena, Haruka, and Iris.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I agree with @Leonhart. Besides Misty, no other girl had the best friend vibe with Ash, but Dawn does it better. May felt like an Ash clone in some spots like her team, progression, and personality, Iris just felt like a slightly older bratty sister, Serena was the stalker and admirer, Mallow does seem to get aggressively nice with him, Lillie is the little sister, and Lana honestly slaps my mind.

NanoMoltres

Why is Lana so high? I can mostly see/understand where you're coming from on the rest.

Compared to those I listed below her: I haven't seen a whole lot of XY(Z) to fully form an opinion on Serena and Bonnie so their ranking could possibly change in the future, I know that Serena in particular is a fan favorite for her character development and feelings towards Ash but I have only seen a small handful of episodes featuring her and the XY movies thus far. Misty I might actually bump her up slightly above Mallow, and Iris is okay but her catchphrase get's a little grating after awhile.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Suiren's decent as far as SM's girls are concerned. I do like Mao and Lilie more than I like her, but Suiren has a knack for making me chuckle since she's amusing in a random sort of way at unexpected times.

DatsRight

My general problem with Serena is that despite being pointedly developed as a character that was gaining a backbone and taking steps to find a place for herself, they wouldn't let her branch out enough, only giving her dumbed down challenges like a hashed together contest that just happened to be made out of whatever she was inherently good at, battles that were always conveniently cut off just before she started losing, and of course tons upon tons of interchangeable TR curbstomps (and even in those she was unremarkable enough to need help if so much as MEOWTH fought back). Even concerning her crush on Ash she was given such a one dimensionally idealized version of the character that she never really had to immerse into his personality properly, which really dwindled down the idea they could be soulmates. Basically decent internal development hindered greatly by bad external development and the series' over reliance on shilling her as a determined winner over giving her proper character agency. Her last limelight episode was about the only one she managed to drive all the way through her own personality and even then they shoved in the half done battle where she was randomly on Ash's level.

Mallow suffers a similar problem, only she plays such a miniscule part in much of SM and has so little development in the first place that she's less of a hindrance to the show (and she at least interacts with flawed characters more like the series' version of Ash). Lillie has a similar premise too, but she is allowed to gain some amount of character agency due to her intellectual role, plus the show lets her 'determinator' act fall flat on it's face at times unless she actually DOES things, making her feel less shilled. She doesn't feel like a chess piece to the plot that's failing in it's quest to stop being one. And again a more genuine bond with a more developed Ash, despite not even trying to get closer to him.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
If I would rank the Poke Girls it goes like this

May/Serena
Dawn
Iris
Misty
All the Alolan girl so far as I'm making it in 6/30/18

I would put Bonnie on here, but she is too young. And if she was put on here it would be

May/Serena/Bonnie
Dawn
Iris
Misty
All the Alolan Girl at this point of time

I'll give my reason later on why I put them in those spots

Shooti

Uber Trainer
I am excluding SM girls since that is completely unfamiliar territory for me. As for the other girls, I'd rank them as follows without much explanation

-bond with Ash

Serena > Dawn > Misty > May > Iris > Bonnie

The lack of arguments while still helping each other was an indicator for a so called 'strong bond' for me between Ash and Serena. Childhood angle, the crush, kiss, Ash's reaction, Ash's support to Serena, Serena's contribution in pulling out Ash from depression after Wulfric defeat and more convinced existence of pretty strong bond between these two.

-goal improvement : May > Serena > Dawn > Iris > Misty > Bonnie

May takes the top spot simply because of the amazing journey she had not even knowing what she wanted to begin with. Later on, it was sort of mimicked with Serena but the original takes the cake.

-looks : Serena > May > Dawn > Misty > Iris > Bonnie

Personal preference I guess.

-Pokémon : Iris > Dawn > May > Misty > Serena > Bonnie (does Squishy count ?)

Again, a difficult choice. Dragon types are supposedly hard to raise and for this Iris deserves recognition. She's vastly underrated in fandom.

Overall my rankings would be : Serena > May > Dawn > Misty > Iris > Bonnie

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
-Pokémon : Iris > Dawn > May > Misty > Bonnie (does Squishy count ?)
You're missing about Serena, unless you're putting her at the bottom after Bonnie to the extent she's not worth to mention about it.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Bond with Ash:

I’m going to exclude the SM companions from this..

1. Misty - I was originally going to rank Dawn over Misty in terms of bond, but after rewatching some old episodes yesterday, I changed my mind. Misty made Ash who he is. I was just rewatching the first five episodes and Misty is having to teach rookie Ash so much. I feel like people tend to over look how much of an influence Misty was on Ash because of her way of “teaching,” (yelling/sarcasm/teasing) him.

2. Dawn - The bestie. His equal. I like how they bounce off of each other so well. Although Brock took a back seat this saga, it really put emphasis on how strong Ash and Dawn’s friendship was.

3. May - It was nice seeing Ash going from being the mentee to the mentor, although I think people tend to exaggerate it, so I’ll put May here. I found May and Ash to be quite similar in a lot of ways.

4. Serena - I like her admiration for Ash but at times it just came off as stalkerish and her idolizing him. Her crush on Ash was just unnecessary to me, or at least had too much emphasis on it. He fought with her the least and some people think that’s a good thing but I feel like it’s okay and very normal for friends to bicker but I’ll still place her over Iris because her admiring for Ash wasn’t bad sometimes.

5. Y’all I really, reaaaally didn’t want to put Iris last but I felt like I had no choice. I’m probably one of the only people who didn’t mind the “you’re such a kid,” remakes but I don’t think it would be fair for me to overlook how hypocritical she could be sometimes. And her bond with Ash was truly the weakest in my eyes which upsets me..

Goal Improvement

1. Dawn - My favorite Pokegirl for a reason! The writers truly handled her development so well! Ngl, it hurt me when she took some losses, but looking back, it was needed. I’m not even bitter over her losing to Zoey. I feel like the writers made her coordinating journey was more realistic than May’s.

2. May - I count May as the first time they really put some effort into developing one of Ash’s companions, since Misty and Brock and Tracey really spent a lot of time mentoring Ash whereas Ash actually had a few chances to mentor May. The writers didn’t do a bad job to me and I loved May’s rivalries and how they handled them.

3. Misty/Iris - I personally feel like the writers need to spend more time focusing on how someone become a master of their type. Personality wise, I feel Misty is the most dynamic of all the pokegirls but as for her goals...eh.

4. Serena - It irks me how they handled her. Making her join Ash because of a crush? Really? The feminist in me isn’t here for it. They could have found a better goal than knock off contests for her. Her battling needed major developing. She needed a personality outside her crush, and warped view of Ash being some type of perfect hero.

Pokémon:

1. MAY - I love Blaziken and Beautifly. Skitty was a cutie. Etc. I think May’s team is a perfect mix of bad@ss and adorable.

2. Dawn - simply because I love cyndaquil. I wish they would have added Togekiss sooner but I still appreciate the addition of Togekiss.

3. Iris

4. Serena

5. Misty

Looks:

I’m adding the SM girls back now..

1. Dawn
2. Mallow
3. May
4. Serena
5. Misty
6. Iris
7. Lillie
8. Lana

Shooti

Uber Trainer
You're missing about Serena, unless you're putting her at the bottom after Bonnie to the extent she's not worth to mention about it.

Oh, my bad! fixed it now. Serena would be second from last ahead of only Bonnie in terms of pokemon in possession. Though I wish she had gotten one more, 3 pokemon is very less for a main girl. No surprise, she lags behind others in that department.

oshawott7

cat burgler
Bond with Ash

1. Misty
2. Dawn
3. that's it

I just feel like none of the other girls have a special enough bond with Ash to be ranked 3rd place, they would be ranked much lower than that. Misty and Dawn are the only ones that feel like genuine realistic friendship.

Goal improvement

1. May
May's character development has always been my favorite in the entire series, I still to this day rewatch her character related episodes because I find them so well made and relatable.

2. Serena
I'm one of the few that actually appreciates how long it took Serena to find a goal, it's more realistic that way. After rewatching XY again I really enjoyed her character even more, even before she found a goal. I think she's a great female lead.

3. Lillie
I really like the effort put into Lillie's character arc, I think they did a great job. I just wish they would continue to push her as the main girl.

4. Dawn
I like how Dawn always had a goal in mind since before the started her journey and stuck with it. I also like how she struggled so much with it but still pushed through in the end, they really showed her struggles and helpnessless well.

5. Iris
Is it so hard to give her more dragon types...or let Axew evolve...at least she likes all Dragon types.

6. Misty
I love Misty so SO much, but oh man they just ruined her development. I really don't like how there's certain water types she hates, and how her team was boring throughout most the series. I always hated Psyduck and hoped so much that it would evolve. I feel like they made a joke out of her dream until way later on.

Looks

1. Serena
2. Misty
3. Dawn
4. Lillie
5. May
6. Iris

Pokémon

1. May
May has always had my favorite team hands down, it's diverse and beautiful yet strong. Just how I like my teams as well. Every single one of her Pokemon feels unique too.

2. Dawn
Dawn is really only here because of her Togekiss which is my favorite Pokemon in the entire series other than Ash's Bulbasaur.

3. Serena
Even though she only has three Pokemon, the chemistry between them all is just so good and they all get a decent amount of focus since there's not a lot of them.

4. Lillie
Lillie has one Pokemon and I love that one Pokemon very much. Nothing more to say

5. Misty
Well Misty is only higher than Iris because she has a Gyarados now basically.

6. Iris
....She has a Dragonite..I guess?

Aaand my personal favorites ranked:

1. May
2. Serena
3. Misty
4. Dawn
5. Iris
6. Lillie

Leonhart

Imagineer
Shooti said:
Though I wish she had gotten one more, 3 pokemon is very less for a main girl. No surprise, she lags behind others in that department.

Given that her goal was somewhat rushed at the end, I don't think she would've had much time to develop more Pokemon anyway. So three Pokemon was good enough for her.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Oh, my bad! fixed it now. Serena would be second from last ahead of only Bonnie in terms of pokemon in possession. Though I wish she had gotten one more, 3 pokemon is very less for a main girl. No surprise, she lags behind others in that department.

Atleast al of her 3 pokemon got major development and had there own personlaity same was the case with iris who had 4 pokemon, in contrast misty had caught most number of pokemon but all her pokemon either didn't have a personality or they were just gag members.

Okay my rankings are
Bond with ash-
Dawn> Serena> Lillie> misty>others

Goal improvement
Dawn> May> Serena> Iris>Misty

Looks
Serena>Lillie>Dawn>May>Lana>Others

Pokemon

Dawn> May> Serena=Iris>Misty

Serena, lillie and dawn are my 3 favourite pokegirls.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
7. Lillie
8. Lana

Wow you really don't like how the SM girls look huh? You added them back only to put 2 at the bottom!

her Togekiss which is my favorite Pokemon in the entire series other than Ash's Bulbasaur.

Out of curiosity, how did this happen for you, given its late arrival and limited screentime?

oshawott7

cat burgler
Out of curiosity, how did this happen for you, given its late arrival and limited screentime?

Well I just love her personality, how motherly she is, how fabulous and sassy she is, how dramatic she is.
and how she walks:
tumblr_mc83qv9Cvd1rrkoj1o8_250.gif

Togekiss is also one of my favorite Pokemon ever so I was happy they gave it such a great personality.

Leonhart

Imagineer
oshawott7 said:
Well I just love her personality, how motherly she is, how fabulous and sassy she is, how dramatic she is.
and how she walks:
tumblr_mc83qv9Cvd1rrkoj1o8_250.gif

Togekiss is also one of my favorite Pokemon ever so I was happy they gave it such a great personality.

My issue regarding Togekiss always revolved around Hikari receiving it for free, although I did like Togekiss as an individual. Her bouncing back Fukamaru's Draco Meteor once was awesome.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
My issue regarding Togekiss always revolved around Hikari receiving it for free, although I did like Togekiss as an individual. Her bouncing back Fukamaru's Draco Meteor once was awesome.

Especially the hyposrisy iris got when she got her dragonite she was suddenly hated but I have never heard of anyone complaining abut dawn getting a free togekiss which she didn't deserve one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.