• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ranking the Pokégirls

Which Pokégirl fits Ash the best?

• Serena

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Misty

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • May

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Dawn

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Uris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lillie

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Mallow

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Lana

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shooti

Uber Trainer
I can comprehend why Serena's interaction with Ash was lackluster for some. For starters, they had nothing common in terms of career goals. At least contests involved a battling round and Misty/Iris were trainers just like Ash. Serena arguably interacted with the most matured version of Ash which prevented moments of playful teasing and bantering between them. In real life many people act shy in front of their crushes at the beginning. Plus, Serena got around 50 episodes less than Dawn/May in the anime. Ash's follow up interactions with Serena would have been interesting to see had the kiss happened a few episodes earlier, probably that would have strengthened their bond. Still, I think the support Ash offered to Serena was very significant and easily comparable to what Ash did for his other female companions.

I think Serena's impact on Ash is somewhat underrated. Surely, Ash would have gotten over his depression after the Wulfric loss all by himself. But, we would never know how much longer had it taken him to do so if not for Serena's involvement. Serena was the driving force behind the motivation Ash found after the only argument he ever had with her. In the same episode later he perfected Ash-Greninja which was probably the most important reason behind his best ever finish in a pokemon league.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Except Serena's only motivation in the entire series IS her crush on Ash. That is her reason for going with him, the back story on her... was done before. (Fact that Angie showed up during a summer camp sub arc) Serena dumped her goal at the end to go do contests... for the sake of making herself look good to Ash who STILL didn't get the que she had a crush on him and probably found the kiss scene to have came out of nowhere.
Amourshipping was doomed to sink and there are better ships out there. (Ash x Misty being the closest one to a canon ship.)

Except Serena motivation was never Ash. He was just the excuse she used to leave and start her journey. She did not want to be a Ryhorn Racer, she told her mother that on several different occasions. She only decided to leave upon seeing on Ash on TV when he was trying to help Professor Sycamore’s Garchomp. She also never dropped her goal, she always had an interest in contests and decided to go to Hoenn after Palermo told her she should think about it. It had nothing to do with Ash.

Did you even watch the series?

Jeal

Except Serena's only motivation in the entire series IS her crush on Ash. That is her reason for going with him, the back story on her... was done before. (Fact that Angie showed up during a summer camp sub arc) Serena dumped her goal at the end to go do contests... for the sake of making herself look good to Ash who STILL didn't get the que she had a crush on him and probably found the kiss scene to have came out of nowhere.
Amourshipping was doomed to sink and there are better ships out there. (Ash x Misty being the closest one to a canon ship.)
Too much lies.

1 - Serena's motivation was never only Ash, she wanted run away from Rhyhorn racing training and finds out her dream. It was Ash who invited Serena to travel with him.
2 - Serena don't ''dumped'' her goal to make herself look good to Ash(It does not even makes sense). It was Palermo who suggested contests to her.
3- Lol, Ash x Misty the closest ship to canon? Get real, Amourshipping was promoted by the writers themselves. Serena was the only girl to kiss Ash. Misty will never do it.

I think you just watched the anime without subtitles, because this is the only explanation to say Serena is trying contests to make herself look good for Ash.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Except Serena motivation was never Ash. He was just the excuse she used to leave and start her journey. She did not want to be a Ryhorn Racer, she told her mother that on several different occasions. She only decided to leave upon seeing on Ash on TV when he was trying to help Professor Sycamore’s Garchomp. She also never dropped her goal, she always had an interest in contests and decided to go to Hoenn after Palermo told her she should think about it. It had nothing to do with Ash.
Did you even watch the series?

1 - Serena's motivation was never only Ash, she wanted run away from Rhyhorn racing training and finds out her dream. It was Ash who invited Serena to travel with him.
2 - Serena don't ''dumped'' her goal to make herself look good to Ash(It does not even makes sense). It was Palermo who suggested contests to her.
3- Lol, Ash x Misty the closest ship to canon? Get real, Amourshipping was promoted by the writers themselves. Serena was the only girl to kiss Ash. Misty will never do it.

Yet she uses Ash as a crutch for her problems, uses him as something to strive for and only really met Ash ONE time in a forest for five minutes before she saw him on T.V and made it her goal to meet him as well as start on her journey. Think it like this, a random girl you only met once for a brief moment, you have NO memory of, show up out of nowhere because she saw you on T.V. On a 1-10 in the creepy meter, this is at around 9.5, right next to the Mimikyu that wants to kill Pikachu or Nihilego and its entire debut in the Sun and Moon anime.
Plus in regard to getting away from Rhyhorn racing, was Grace forcing Serena into that goal as her only way of advancing in life? Was Grace mistreating Serena? If no is the answer. Serena didn't run away from home, she started on her pokemon journey. While Serena was given the suggestion to do contests, she spent most of the series doing show cases and REALLY wanting to be the top of the ladder, only to fail at that and have a different goal in mind at that time of the series.
When she left for Hoenn, she still believes she will meet Ash again. In hope that by the time she finished with the contest, the clueless dope would notice her as anything more than a friend. I am aware that Amourshipping was promoted and blatant, while Serena did kiss Ash, does he return it? No he does not!
The reason why I say Ash x Misty is close is that even a generation later after she left, Ash said it himself. "A friend left me too and I miss her every day." Who would that be since that quote came from Gen 3?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
That line from the Jirachi movie is a dub line from 4kids, Ash doesn't reference Misty at all in the original movie. 4kids added a whole ton of Misty references or pokeshipping that weren't in the Japanese version. Look up Dogasu's website to see the differences between the dub and original.

I see that and I also heard that in the OS had far different plans than what we got that might shake up this theory more. IMO none of these Ash ships are canon because as Ash's voice actress stated, Ash loves everyone.

Last edited:

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Wow delusional Amourshippers have derailed this thread. Do yall stalk your crushes too? :p

But in all seriousness this thread was way better before all these crazy shippers came to defend their idol. I could have sworn this thread was supposed to be on everyone’s personal opinion, not a debate.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Sorry if I was harsh...
No problem. As long it doesn't end up with stuffs like "This character is the worst. How could anyone like her?", then it's all good I guess.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jeal said:
Get real, Amourshipping was promoted by the writers themselves. Serena was the only girl to kiss Ash. Misty will never do it.

I don't see what the appeal of that was since it all amounted to nothing in the end, though. It actually feels like a waste to see her focus so much on Satoshi when she should've been improving herself instead of waiting a whole year to find a goal.

Epicocity

Wow delusional Amourshippers have derailed this thread. Do yall stalk your crushes too? :p

But in all seriousness this thread was way better before all these crazy shippers came to defend their idol. I could have sworn this thread was supposed to be on everyone’s personal opinion, not a debate.
Or...Or maybe there are people that are fans of Serena that understand her character arc and didn't latch on to the incorrect "left home to be with Ash and only to be with Ash" which is contradicted within the series itself and thus have decided to correct said incorrect notion.

It's one thing to just not like Serena; it's another to state objective facts about her character that are openly proven false by the show.

Jeal

It was a Serena hater who mentioned ships, no one was talking about ships before that.

It was better before bashing once again came into play. Shipping wasn't even mentioned till some dumbass decided to piss over Serena since she was winning the poll. Don't get your head twisted.

keepitsimple

site of lies

People have been debating in poll threads for years lol. There's nothing wrong with it. Also the OP says this:

And no I like that Pokégirl without a proper reason!

If we're expecting people to provide a proper reason for why they like a certain character, I think it's only fair to expect that character's critics to give a proper reason as well, and I don't think false statements like "Serena's only motivation was Ash" count as a proper reason. Nothing wrong with correcting things like that lol

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
It was better before bashing once again came into play. Shipping wasn't even mentioned till some dumbass decided to piss over Serena since she was winning the poll. Don't get your head twisted.

There was better chemistry between Ash and Angie. (A Character that was in five episodes in Diamond and Pearl, one was summer camp mini arc while the other was a stand alone episode.)
To compare how much in common these two have, it is straight down to her main partner being an electric type. (Shinx.)

I posted that and someone got defensive when I said that another character had better chemistry with Ash with similar premise when someone said that the Amourshipping wasn't that good. Then it became hilarious just how much people will defend a ship from criticism, so I put more of my input as to why I don't like the ship.

Wanting to change the subject.
Among the voted poke girls, I got a rank from personal favorite to least.
1. May: At the moment she has the most character development out of all of them.
2. Misty: Nostalgia glasses and I liked the moments between her and Ash.
3. Lillie: Too many cute moments and I liked her character development. (Still going to give a final judgement once the series ends.)
4. Iris: She isn't my favorite and she takes vibs from Misty as the pokegirl that likes arguing with Ash. (This is a good thing.)
5. Dawn: She is similar to May but a bit less
6. Lana: Not much is done with her character, but I like her moments. (The Stakataka episode high lighted her when she made that big jump and was willing to jump Stakataka if the animation was anything to go by.)
7. Serene: Less than Dawn and she doesn't have much that hasn't been done before my May and Dawn besides her crush on Ash.
8. Mallow: Her central episodes don't really have much development and as such makes her bland.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I posted that and someone got defensive when I said that another character had better chemistry with Ash with similar premise when someone said that the Amourshipping wasn't that good. Then it became hilarious just how much people will defend a ship from criticism, so I put more of my input as to why I don't like the ship.
I think MockingJ was writing a little bit too much, and he pointed the poll results like he was concerned about people favoritisms, while it doesn't bother me what people likes. I mean I like Serena but I don't care about Amourshipping nor Ash, and he gave the impression that all the Serena fans are the same. But yeah, let's drop the shipping argument.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I think MockingJ was writing a little bit too much, and he pointed the poll results like he was concerned about people favoritisms, while it doesn't bother me what people likes. I mean I like Serena but I don't care about Amourshipping nor Ash, and he gave the impression that all the Serena fans are the same. But yeah, let's drop the shipping argument.

Serena is just above Mallow on my personal list because while Serena has development similar to May and Dawn, Mallow has virtually no development. (The con of S/M having that big of a main cast, not everyone gets screen time and some get it better than others.)

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Or...Or maybe there are people that are fans of Serena that understand her character arc and didn't latch on to the incorrect "left home to be with Ash and only to be with Ash" which is contradicted within the series itself and thus have decided to correct said incorrect notion.

It's one thing to just not like Serena; it's another to state objective facts about her character that are openly proven false by the show.

It was a Serena hater who mentioned ships, no one was talking about ships before that.

People have been debating in poll threads for years lol. There's nothing wrong with it. Also the OP says this:

If we're expecting people to provide a proper reason for why they like a certain character, I think it's only fair to expect that character's critics to give a proper reason as well, and I don't think false statements like "Serena's only motivation was Ash" count as a proper reason. Nothing wrong with correcting things like that lol

Wow my comment went over every single one of you’s head. Reading is fundamental. Having a sense of humor is essential.

I know some Serena fans can be a little psycho but keep yalls craziness away from me. I said what I said because I don’t see why people are bringing up shipping in this thread PERIOD. I never said y’all are wrong for defending your idol but this thread clearly got derailed because it was never about shipping in the first place. Just because a lot people don’t think Serena’s the best character or has the best bond with Ash doesn’t mean their bashing your beloved “queen.” I never said any of you started it either. People are allowed to have their opinions and state why it’s their opinion without someone telling them their opinion is right or wrong. It’s an opinion for a reason. Jesus Christ

Where’s the real housewives I said What I Said gif when I need it? Lol

Anyway, back to the original purpose of the thread, I guess I’ll rank my personal favorites in order just to stay on topic for the thread.

Dawn >> May/Misty > Iris > Everyone else..

keepitsimple

site of lies
ITT how to get really mad on the internet and call everyone who criticized your post a crazy fan/shipper

Just because a lot people don’t think Serena’s the best character or has the best bond with Ash doesn’t mean their bashing your beloved “queen.” I never said any of you started it either. People are allowed to have their opinions and state why it’s their opinion without someone telling them their opinion is right or wrong. It’s an opinion for a reason. Jesus Christ

wew lad you completely decimated that man of straw but they clearly stated the problem isn't that people dislike Serena, it's when people make false statements about Serena that didn't actually happen in the show. try to keep up, and take your own advice about reading comprehension

also my post was addressing your comment that "this isn't supposed to be a debate" so I actually did read and understand your post ;)

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Man I have my criticisms of Serena too but at least they aren't made-up things. Those criticism of mine being not figuring out on what do to until 35-ish episodes later (0r 40 can't remember lol but definitely around that timeframe), her rivals being all lame imo (Nina couldn't even make it past the first round in any of the episodes she was in), and just found her personality uninteresting. I personally wished she interacted with Clemont a lot more too. I have a few more but I can't think of them at the moment.

I did like the dynamic her Pokemon had though despite me despising Braixen a lot (and for Pancham to have had more individual focus).

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
ITT how to get really mad on the internet and call everyone who criticized your post a crazy fan/shipper

wew lad you completely decimated that man of straw but they clearly stated the problem isn't that people dislike Serena, it's when people make false statements about Serena that didn't actually happen in the show. try to keep up, and take your own advice about reading comprehension

also my post was addressing your comment that "this isn't supposed to be a debate" so I actually did read and understand your post ;)

Lol who’s mad though? That’s literally why I called y’all crazy because y’all became angry so fast. I don’t see all these so called “false statements” about your leader, all I see are opinions. Controversial opinions, but opinions none the less.

But ok “lad”carry on with your Serena worshipping service. Hopefully this thread gets back on track because it was actually a good one. I don’t even dislike Serena but I guess having my own opinion makes me a hater. Whatever though, have a blessed day.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
This thread was reported when it first started and that passed over because it started off fine, but it seems this has overstayed its welcome by now. Going to lock this thread but if people really feel strongly enough about it then I'm not against it getting another chance later.

Status
Not open for further replies.