• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rant - Starters' evolution second types

Naraku_Diabolos

DNC20/NIN10
Okay, I am SICK of people putting two and two together to get something so stupid.

STOP saying that the starters will be have the 'other' elemental trio (Fighting, Psychic, and Dark) as a sub-type. You KNOW what I'm talking about. It WILL NOT work right.

How is that possible? All of the starters' evolutions from the original 3 generations had a second type that was added to their main type with it being physical.

Liek OMG~

Bulbasaur --> Venusaur (Grass/Poison [Poison, however, was considered a special type in R/G/B/Y because it was supposed to be Dark and was switched to physical in the G/S/C versions])

Charmander --> Charizard (Fire/Flying)

Torchic --> Combusken (Fire/Fighting)

Mudkip --> Marshtomp (Water/Ground)

The starters' evolutions need a PHYSICAL stab in order to do extra damage with their second typing. Meganium sucked with Body Slam/Earthquake, Typhlosion with Earthquake/Reversal, Feraligatr with Earthquake/Slash/Brick Break etc. due to not having a sub-type. Though sub-typing has drawbacks (double weaknesses) with either 'physical/physical', 'physical/special', 'special/special' and 'special/physical'.

So in turn, QUIT saying that the starters should have either Psychic, Dark and Fighting subbed onto their main types. It's stupid. Like I said, they don't get a physical stab to make them equal and rounded fighters.

Kinslayer

Nevermore...
Yay. Another stupid rant that could have gone in another thread.

Last I checked, you aren't working on these games. Game Freak can do whatever they damn well please. You're also basing your little "facts" on very shoddy evidence. 4 out of...NINE starters support your argument. Not very convincing. Not even a majority.

Next, it is totally irrelevant that the few starters that have had dual types have physical sub-types. Fact of the matter is that the triangle CAN very easily work. Fire/Psychic, Grass/Fighting, Water/Dark works just fine.

The physical sub-typings were the only things that made sense with how the damned Pokemon looked and what they were based on. They couldn't have made Charizard Fire and an elemental type, as an elemental typing wouldn't have made sense on it. Same with Venusaur. Same with Blaziken. Same with Swampert. For all we know, the Fire Monkey's final form could have its brain bursting out of its head in order to be the Psychic type. The Grass Turtle could end up bipedal and have boxing gloves. The Penguin could become a Dark Yellow-Crested Penguin or some shiz. A POKEMON'S TYPE IS BASED ON ITS APPEARANCE AND DOMINANT ABILITIES. NOT WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT MAKE SENSE TO YOU.

There's some other stuff, but I'll let you have fun with this.

And please, people. Enough of the threads made for the sole purpose of bitching and trying to make a very poor point. Chances are, it's been posted 509 times before.

:)

Last edited:

Grumpig

Exams already?!
I agree 100% with you in that I HATE when people say the starters are going to have the D/P/F types in their final evos; they're still stuck in the past and just want a D/P/F starter trio. But only one thing... their second types don't necessarily have to be physical. Like you said, Poison was considered special in RBY, and they were obviously not thinking of changing it to physical by the time Venusaur was created, so there's where your argument falls apart. Plus, remember that in DP, the physical/special status of an attack won't depend on the type, but the attack itself. That means there will no longer be things such as "Physical types" or "Special types", since the types aren't what determines the attacks' physical/special status anymore.

Anyway, I completely agree with the first point. D/P/F are most likely NOT going to be the starters' final second types.

Fast_shoesXx

Yay. Another stupid rant that could have gone in another thread.

Last I checked, you aren't working on these games. Game Freak can do whatever they damn well please. You're also basing your little "facts" on very shoddy evidence. 4 out of...NINE starters support your argument. Not very convincing. Not even a majority.

Next, it is totally irrelevant that the few starters that have had dual types have physical sub-types. Fact of the matter is that the triangle CAN very easily work. Fire/Psychic, Grass/Fighting, Water/Dark works just fine.

The physical sub-typings were the only things that made sense with how the damned Pokemon looked and what they were based on. They couldn't have made Charizard Fire and an elemental type, as an elemental typing wouldn't have made sense on it. Same with Venusaur. Same with Blaziken. Same with Swampert. For all we know, the Fire Monkey's final form could have its brain bursting out of its head in order to be the Psychic type. The Grass Turtle could end up bipedal and have boxing gloves. The Penguin could become a Dark Yellow-Crested Penguin or some shiz. A POKEMON'S TYPE IS BASED ON ITS APPEARANCE AND DOMINANT ABILITIES. NOT WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT MAKE SENSE TO YOU.

There's some other stuff, but I'll let you have fun with this.

And please, people. Enough of the threads made for the sole purpose of bitching and trying to make a very poor point. Chances are, it's been posted 509 times before.

:)

Now this I agree with. Who said the starters can't have special dual-types? If I made a thread for all the stupid things/ideas I read, I'd be banned for... making so many threads(ha...ha,ha). You could have just said "starters won't have F/D/P types" in your sig, did not have to make a thread on it...(but I do agree that it won't happen).

zangross

Beginning Trainer
water/ice
fire/electric
grass/rock
would be cool then theyd be super effective against there weakness but nothing is 2x super effective

Salagon

Way to go! I totally agree.

Fast_shoesXx

water/ice
fire/electric
grass/rock
would be cool then theyd be super effective against there weakness but nothing is 2x super effective

1. Not such a good idea. There is a purpose to having the triange. Each starter is good against one but weak against another.

2. This thread isn't even about starter ideas!

Pure

back.
Hmm. Rant read through and analyzed.

Truth: 100%

Rage: Slight

Annoyance: Large

Relation to my Opinion: Agreement.

Note that I am analyzing the content of the post. When I say annoyance, I mean your annoyance.

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator
I wouldn't mind it if the starters had those secondary types. What annoys me is that people refuse to accept the fact that the other type triangle was just a rumor, and that it didn't HAVE to be true. Shut up and move on, its that simple.

Fast_shoesXx

hmmmmmmmm

who cares what you say?

First of all, he can express his opinions. Although I didn't think there needed to be a thread on this, I agree with the topic. Second, you better take that phrase out of your signature before you really get people ****** off. Just some advice, as your new and you probably don't want people to not like you.

Kinslayer

Nevermore...
I have to agree...people should stop posting the starters having dual types.

Yes. We should stop speculating. Now what can we do? Oh. Nothing. :)

And people. Ignore booyah. It's just a troll. :<

Anyways, on topic here. The D/P/F idea came from the official Yahoo! Pokemon site. One of the creators of the games said that the starters appeared to be of the D/P/F type. She may have very well been referring to the final forms of the starters. Nothing was ever clarified. Besides, EVERYTHING else stated on that site has been confirmed/proven true. Why should we doubt this? Yes, she could have been B.S.'ing, but we have no proof of that.

I'm just saying don't be so sure about what you say.

Zora

perpetually tired
However with the "Type Split 'Physical/Special,'" will special and physical types matter anymore? Your entire theory falls apart after that.

Refering to above post
Also, it could be a land turtle, Grass/Ground, and the Penguin could be a tropical penguin, so just Water.

Silent orange L.V.12

Where's the ban?
Okay, I am SICK of people putting two and two together to get something so stupid.

STOP saying that the starters will be have the 'other' elemental trio (Fighting, Psychic, and Dark) as a sub-type. You KNOW what I'm talking about. It WILL NOT work right.

How is that possible? All of the starters' evolutions from the original 3 generations had a second type that was added to their main type with it being physical.

Liek OMG~

Bulbasaur --> Venusaur (Grass/Poison [Poison, however, was considered a special type in R/G/B/Y because it was supposed to be Dark and was switched to physical in the G/S/C versions])

Charmander --> Charizard (Fire/Flying)

Torchic --> Combusken (Fire/Fighting)

Mudkip --> Marshtomp (Water/Ground)

The starters' evolutions need a PHYSICAL stab in order to do extra damage with their second typing. Meganium sucked with Body Slam/Earthquake, Typhlosion with Earthquake/Reversal, Feraligatr with Earthquake/Slash/Brick Break etc. due to not having a sub-type. Though sub-typing has drawbacks (double weaknesses) with either 'physical/physical', 'physical/special', 'special/special' and 'special/physical'.

So in turn, QUIT saying that the starters should have either Psychic, Dark and Fighting subbed onto their main types. It's stupid. Like I said, they don't get a physical stab to make them equal and rounded fighters.

First of all,gamefreak can do whatever they want. they don't exactly have to
be powerful pokemon,just statrers. 2.4 starters that support you aggument.

3.don't say people's opnions are wrong just because you want good starters.

4.The starters don't HAVE to be good.

5.DO YOU WORK FOR GAMEFREAK?

6.If you are tired of thier opionons don't read em. People can say they thier ideas so stop complaining that they can.

7. Pokemon types are based on how they look.

8. I AM Tired of people complaining about people's opionoions.

9.Do you know what the othe stages of the starters look like?

Eaon

Fake Pokemon Basher
Grass water? That don't seem right for a starter.

I really do not want Pochama to be a Fighting, I just hate fighting types...

Neither did Water/Ground when i first saw marshstomp but it worked.

I think there going to do the same thing they did with ludicolo, to the turtle. and the monkeys are always fighting... :(

and come on the penguin is gona be ice we never had an ice/water starter.