• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rant - Starters' evolution second types

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator
I personally think that the monkey doesn't HAVE to be fighting-just look at slaking. I think that the most likely secondary types if they have any will be water/ice for the penguin, pure fire for the monkey, and grass/ground for the turtle.

And another thing I noticed:

Final Kanto starters: 2 dual typed, 1 pure.
Final Johto starters: 3 pure.
Final Hoenn starters: 2 dual typed, 1 pure.

I think I'm seeing a pattern, and if I am correct, the shinou starters will end up being pure.

Last edited:

Pokénewb

I think that it will probably end up like this for the 2nd types:

Naetoru- Likely a grass ground type based on it's looks.

Hikozaru- I don't see this monster getting a 2nd type. If I had to guess it might become a dark, fighting or normal type.

Pocchama- Only two possible 2nd types, Flying or Ice. I hope it's ice. I would rather have 2 special stabs than a physical flying stab that makes me double weak to electric.

Based on all the starters so far I see a possible pattern. We have two Fire monsters with 2nd types, and one (Typhlosion) without. We have the opposite with the grass and water monsters where they only have one 2nd type.

So this time in DP to balance this I assume that the fire type won't have a 2nd type and the grass and water starters will have dual types.

(Just my theory)

ShinyFufu

Arriving glacially.
I REALLY hope that the water starter doesn't become have a secondary Ice-type... that typing is quite bad imo(well, defensively speaking).

I really don't care one way or the other what secondary types the starters may have, as long as they do not making there weakness glaringly obvious
(i.e. Fire/Electric starter with low Defense rating=raped by EQ)

Grumpig

Exams already?!
and come on the penguin is gona be ice we never had an ice/water starter.

Technically, it would be Water/Ice. :p And yes, we've never had a Water/Ice starter, but we've had...

*starts to count... Cloyster, Dewgong, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein, Lapras*

SIX Water/Ice types. I admit it would be the most logical second typing, but I don't want it to happen. :(

Eaon said:
and the monkeys are always fighting... :(

The monkeys? We've only had six apes (Mankey, Primeape, Aipom, and if you count them, Slakoth, Vigoroth, and Slaking) of which only two (who belong to the same evolution line, BTW) are fighting. The rest are normal-typed. So that's not exactly a good point there... :D

Eaon

Fake Pokemon Basher
Technically, it would be Water/Ice. :p And yes, we've never had a Water/Ice starter, but we've had...

*starts to count... Cloyster, Dewgong, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein, Lapras*

SIX Water/Ice types. I admit it would be the most logical second typing, but I don't want it to happen. :(

The monkeys? We've only had six apes (Mankey, Primeape, Aipom, and if you count them, Slakoth, Vigoroth, and Slaking) of which only two (who belong to the same evolution line, BTW) are fighting. The rest are normal-typed. So that's not exactly a good point there... :D

ah i c now... but most of them have the fighting type move set and status.

Zora

perpetually tired
ARE WE FORGETTING ABOUT THE TROPICAL PENGUIN? He wouldn't have a dual-type. Sure he doesn't look like it, but Tyranitar doesn't look much like a traditional dinosuar, does he?

ShinyFufu

Arriving glacially.
You don't know what a tropical penguin is? Seriously? lol.

Grumpig said:
The monkeys? We've only had six apes (Mankey, Primeape, Aipom, and if you count them, Slakoth, Vigoroth, and Slaking) of which only two (who belong to the same evolution line, BTW) are fighting. The rest are normal-typed. So that's not exactly a good point there...

Actually, there has only been 2 "monkeys", Aipom and Mankey. Primeape is obviously an Ape, and Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking are sloths. Either way, I do NOT want the Fire starter to be part Fighting type, unless the make it faster than Blaziken. Fire/Fighting isn't that great of a type combo imo.

Zora

perpetually tired
oh i knew of that, there cute lol

but tyranitar does look like a dino lol...

Not 100%. Like 90%. No Pokemon looks exactly like their species.

And I think Tropical Penguin means a penguin that lives in a tropical region. I see logic it that definition. They don't call it an Artic penguin.

Last edited:

Pokénewb

Tropical Penguin is not a Punguin that lives in the artic region.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Penguin

Doesn't look icy to me on the right. And that also looks like Poochama.

Penguin=/=Ice Trait

Well of course Poochama is a first stage starter, so it will be just water. Only Gamefreak and God knows what Poochama's evolution will be. I see it as a coin flip between flying and ice. Either way we already have water/ice and water/flying.

Zora

perpetually tired
Well of course Poochama is a first stage starter, so it will be just water. Only Gamefreak and God knows what Poochama's evolution will be. I see it as a coin flip between flying and ice. Either way we already have water/ice and water/flying.

Bulbasuar had a dual-type as a starter. Usually they are added on with physical traits, Mudkip being an exception. Like Thorchic couldn't exactly fight with hands, but Combusken could. Charizard couldn't fly until it got wings.

Also an ice trait will make it lose a resitance to fire. And, like Bublasuar, would probably begin as a dual type if a dual-type. And I think Mudkip had some reason for not being ground right away.

AWP123

Thunder Trainer
Also look at the previous starters. A bunch of them went extreame changes for example Charmander final evo is a Flying dragon! when we first saw the fire salamander did you think it would evolve into that! Mudkip a four legged fish evolves into a bipedal aquatic monster and Cyndaquil , enichenda evoves into a large fire badger! Oh and I forgot Blaziken it evolved from a cute orange-red chick to a demonic fighting fowl! I think this generation all three will evolve like this and have the best evos yet.

Darkdd

Crazy bush lady!
However with the "Type Split 'Physical/Special,'" will special and physical types matter anymore? Your entire theory falls apart after that.

Refering to above post
Also, it could be a land turtle, Grass/Ground, and the Penguin could be a tropical penguin, so just Water.

I agree with this.

Pokénewb

Ah sorry I forgot about Bulbasaur. I guess I just hope that Poochama get's a 2nd type since most of the water starters don't have a second type. Fire has two with dual types and it's not fair. :(

Wero

Beginning Trainer
Better yet, I´ll catch the first pogeyman I can and release the starter then TA-DAH!!
*applause*
Hope you understand sarcasm.
Seriously, I don´t really mind if they get dual types or not, just GIVE´EM A GOOD MOVEPOOL!! The last generation´s natural moves really disappointed me. The best was Swampert´s muddy water; 95attck an 85 acc... oh dear.

Aobasu is ugly hope it´s fake.

Zora

perpetually tired
Leaf Blade anyone? The last starters had the best movepools.
Standards:
Blazikien:
Flamethrower
Sky Uppercut
Swords Dance
Rock Slide

Sceptile:
T-Punch
Leaf Blade
Substitute/Dragon Claw
Leech Seed/Crunch

Swampert: