• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rapid Assault

cakedup

Rapid assault

I wanted to see if I can make a successful team that focuses on Priority moves and the ever useful U-Turn and Volt Switch. It is gimmicky by nature but it should also be difficult to counter as far as I can tell. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thundurus-T with Expert Belt and Volt Absorb
Serious (that is what he has, but nice IV's so I am keeping it) 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Atk
Thunderbolt
Superpower
U-Turn
Grass Knot

With Hydreigon as my Revenge Killer, I felt that I needed to have Wall Breaker. This guy fills the role nicely although I will miss that bird. I chose Thunderbolt for the Primary STAB and U-Turn for the scouting move to avoid being obvious. The Expert Belt will allow me to bluff a choice item so I can try to get the drop on my opponents. Grass Knot and Superpower are for coverage. I originally was going to use a Landorus-T instead, but I already have Scizor and Conkeldurr to hit things hard on the Physical side. I am not too excited about Thundurus-T, but I can live with his strengths over Staraptor.

Hydreigon with Choice Scarf
Timid 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP and Timid
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Earth Power
U-Turn

Yet another fairly basic set that has proven to be effective. I do wish this guy had Volt Switch though. This is my Revenge Killer with Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse for STAB and Earth Power for steel types. U-Turn for scouting again. I dropped Fire Blast in favor of Earth Power because I really don't like Focus Blast's accuracy and Fire Blast is a move that is easy to be turned against me. I can't say I like Earth Power more than it though.

Forretress with Sturdy and Leftovers
Relaxed 252 Def/252 HP/4 SpD
Gyro Ball
Volt Switch
Stealth Rock
Rapid Spin

Infernape didn't cut it so I decided to bring in this guy as the ultimate utility Pokemon. His typing and defense makes him a great defensive pivot. His totally abysmal speed works wonders with Volt Switch and Gyro Ball. Gyro Ball is easy to understand, but Volt Switch allows Forretress to take the hit and then switch out so the incoming Poke is safe from harm. Stealth Rock is the chosen entry hazard because it is quick and easy. Rapid Spin is the crux for him though. Without it, he wouldn't be of much use to me. I will freely admit that I thought of this set on my own at work, but discovered later yesterday that someone beat me to it and it has since become the standard set for him. I was sad.

Rotom W with Leftovers or Light Clay
Calm 252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp/Reflect
Pain Split/Light Screen

Magnezone was pretty awesome, but I have heard about how effective this guy is a VoltTurn partner plus I had too many fire Weaknesses with Scizor, Forretress, and Magnezone. I still think I need a screener, but since my team's roster has many more naturally defensive Pokemon instead of frail ones, I am not for certain. Volt Switch and Hyrdo Pump for hurting things, Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split to support the team and protect Rotom-W. If I choose the screens though I would take the Light Clay over the Leftovers. That does kill his longevity though and the lack of resistances when compared to Magnezone makes me wonder just a bit. I will freely admit though that this guy is a nice change and I like him as a water type.

Scizor with Technician and Choice Band
Adamant 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
U-Turn
Superpower

I really hate this guy because he is so overused, but after learning about Rotom-W as a VoltTurn partner I discovered that he pairs well with Scizor. That works nicely for me because a STAB U-Turn is awesome when coming off of this guy's attack stat. Although I wanted to have this team as a Priority and VoltTurn team, I can see that that is a bit too much to ask for, but Scizor allows me some of both. My only real concern is Heatran, although Volcarona is going to be a problem as well.

Conkeldurr with Guts and Flame Orb
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def and Adamant
Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Facade
Stone Edge

This is the reason for the switching. Towards the end of he match when his counters are gone, Conkeldurr will come out and devastate what is left. The moves are standard and Facade works with Flame Orb and Guts. I would prefer to use Bulk Up but we don't have time fo'dat! I totally love this ugly ogre for what he does right! Drain Punch and Mach Punch for a powerful combo of recovery and speediness. I dropped Payback in favor of Stone Edge because it will still hurt ghost types, but it will also hurt flyers like Salamence and Gyarados. Then there is Volcarona to deal with...maybe.

I am happy with the information being provided to me. Like I said at the top, Landorus-T looked great on paper and probably is, but I chose to go with Thundurus-T to get a good special attacker. I am sad that Infernape and Staraptor are gone, but I am probably better for it. I would like to know if I should try to get one of them back though and replace Conkeldurr with them. Since he does not have a VoltTurn move I wonder if he is a good fit for this team, but at the same time I think it would be rather gimmicky in a bad way.

Last edited:

Eaglehawk

Banned
I'm looking through this team and I can already see a couple of things that could need work. I can see that you are trying to experiment with some rather unorthodox sets and I do commend you for trying, but your team lacks strong synergy that would make this conceptual team a success.

First off, I see that you are running VoltTurn and Priority abuse, which is pretty interesting. How this system would work is that you have your main turning core and your priority abusers to clean up. Two things that would help this team is a Spinner and a Hazards setter. Hazards, specifically speaking Stealth Rock, is so central to every metagame that you would technically be at a complete disadvantage to not have any. Likewise, VoltTurn cores naturally hate hazards due to the constant switching and the impending hazards damage it quickly racks up. Therefore, I'm going to suggest a few things that can make your team better.

First and foremost, most VoltTurn cores and offense teams require a strong pivot, and Landorus-T functions as a strong pivot in this metagame.

Landorus @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-U-Turn
-Hidden Power [Ice]

This does so much for your Volt-Turn offense team it's ridiculous. It gives your team the much-needed hazards and a strong switch-in to common Ground-types and Fighting-types. He's pretty much your failsafe option against strong physical attackers. I would definitely place this over Infernape. IMO, Infernape isn't as good as it once was anymore, and with this usage of Infernape, you don't really accomplish much in terms of sweeping or wallbreaking (the only thing its still good against is the almost-dead SkarmBliss core).

I'm going to continue with this rate another time (probably tomorrow). I'm using a really sh1tty hotel computer and it physically hurts to type on this thing :( . Anyway, check back later to see my updates on this rate.

cakedup

Interesting thoughts on the Landorus-T. I took them into consideration and some more from elsewhere and I have decided to make the changes you see in the bold text. I might as have started from scratch, but I think I am better for it right now.