• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rare Pokemon/moves on pokemons

FinerFrame

wasn't sure how to search for this, but is there a list of rare pokemon/forms that are transferrable atleast up to home, maybe to Sw&Sh, but otherwise unattainable other than their own games
and on the same note, pokemon with moves they cant learn other than that specific game/gen, like those event pokemon with fixed moveset using other wise unnattainable moves on them

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
The main site lists the unobtainable ones. They can be brought to home, but not gen 8.

Also, if the mons are available in SwSh, they can be transferred to those games with any move, but the moves can’t be used if they’re not natively in SwSh. The unusable moves can be deleted and replaced with usable moves.

FinerFrame

sorry, might have misphrased that a bit, im not looking for pokemons not yet in SwSh, but if any variants of pokemons that could go up to home atleast, and pokemons with otherwise unobtainable moves for them, like say the event jirachi that had draco meteor and dogs from gen 4&5 like suicune with aqua ring
another example is pages with transfer only moves on them, but dont know if theres a compendium of those
i was starting a ribbon master from colosseum, so i thought id look up other unique stuff i could move up from there

Last edited:

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
There’s a few moves that Pokémon can learn only in a specific generation of that’s what you are asking. I believe that’s what is being asked anyways. Examples:

-Phanpy has the Water Gun as an egg move in Crystal only so a Donphan knowing that move would have to be transferred from that game.
-Cleffa and Togepi lines as well as Mew get Softboiled as a move through a move tutor in Generation 3 games.
-Sandstorm can be taught to the Charmander line in Generation 2
-Double-Edge and Dynamic Punch are available as move tutors in Generation 3
-Zap Cannon is a TM in Generation 2
-Articuno can learn Bubble Beam by TM in Generation 1.
-There’s a long list of moves available from TMs in Generation 1 and 2 only available to Pokémon through those games (I’m done with these examples)
-Prior to Sword/Shield the legendary beasts of Johto could only learn Extreme Speed through a 2012 event given to Generation 4 games.
-Jirachi gets Draco Meteor through a 2010 event only
-Power Up Punch can only be taught to (Mega) Kangaskhan through the Generation 6 TM.

Edit: I once taught a Cubone the move Submission in the VC Red and transferred it to Ultra Sun and evolved it into an Alolan Marowak since it would have the Rock Head ability and not take damage from the recoil. Very gimmicky but kinda cool.

Last edited:

FinerFrame

There’s a few moves that Pokémon can learn only in a specific generation of that’s what you are asking. I believe that’s what is being asked anyways. Examples:

-Phanpy has the Water Gun as an egg move in Crystal only so a Donphan knowing that move would have to be transferred from that game.
-Cleffa and Togepi lines as well as Mew get Softboiled as a move through a move tutor in Generation 3 games.
-There’s a long list of moves available from TMs in Generation 1 and 2 only available to Pokémon through those games (I’m done with these examples)
-Prior to Sword/Shield the legendary beasts of Johto could only learn Extreme Speed through a 2012 event given to Generation 4 games.
-Power Up Punch can only be taught to (Mega) Kangaskhan through the Generation 6 TM.

Edit: I once taught a Cubone the move Submission in the VC Red and transferred it to Ultra Sun and evolved it into an Alolan Marowak since it would have the Rock Head ability and not take damage from the recoil. Very gimmicky but kinda cool.
yup thats a part of what i was asking, a good part of it anyway!
its mainly me being a collector looking for stuff to collect on a 5 generation journey!
if you know of anyother unique things unavailable from later gens, id be delighted to know

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

That Cubone gimmick sounds really cool. I'll have to see to getting one.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
It’s definitely a gimmick for sure. Brick Break is by far a better fighting move for it. The extra 5 base power doesn’t really justify the 20% accuracy drop.
Thought Submission was stronger than that. Lol never mind.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Snorlax got Harden in Gen I, Dizzy Punch from the Baby inside Odd Egg minus Togepi given to you in Gen II by the Daycare Man, Chansey/Blissey gets Wish from XD, Mewtwo got Electroball from an Event, Murkrow got Beat Up in Gen II via Event, And Delibird had Pay Day as an Event move.

Det. Viper

Snorlax got Harden in Gen I, Dizzy Punch from the Baby inside Odd Egg minus Togepi given to you in Gen II by the Daycare Man, Chansey/Blissey gets Wish from XD, Mewtwo got Electroball from an Event, Murkrow got Beat Up in Gen II via Event, And Delibird had Pay Day as an Event move.
The Odd Egg baby cannot be transferred knowing Dizzy Punch so those Pokémon exist in Gen 2 only.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
My favorites are the two event Victini that each give a different set of signature legendary moves. One with Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt; one with Blue Flare, Bolt Strike, and Glaciate. Also, V-create Rayquaza is a fun one.

Det. Viper

Building off my Water Gun Donphan from earlier this week...

The Cyndaquil line gets Submission as an egg move exclusively in crystal. What makes this move especially rare is that a Pokémon has to be taught the move via TM in a generation one game then transferred to the crystal game and bred with a female Cyndaquil (or evolution) since all the Pokémon in the same egg group as it do not naturally learn the move.

Trillion

it's on serebii

go to the swsh pokedex and click on any pokeon. scroll to the bottom to see a list of transfer-only moves

here's psyduck, for example

Det. Viper

it's on serebii
Bulbapedia actually does a better job of explaining transfer only moves than Serebii. Their transfer only section lists all the generations a transfer move can originate from as well as how it can be learned. It also includes transfer moves that are not part of the Sword and Shield movepool as well—including saying that the move can’t be used in the games.

My understanding of this thread was to discuss moves that are hard to obtain and why. Which is why I listed egg moves exclusive to generation 2 as well as other hard to get combos.

WANDERING TRAINER

Battle Team Engage!!
I too collect pkmn with rare moves, a few that i remember are Poliwag that can learn amnesia by leveling up in gen 1 only, squirtle have confusion as an egg move in gen2, hypnosis mew for trade in pokemon ranch, follow me electabuzz and magmar from pokmeon XD. A combo i use in double battles is a tauros with horn drill and fissure from tm in gen1 later a mover tutor taught him role play with that move i copy no guard ability from machamp...another that i remember is teaching zap cannon to flareon and espeon in gen2, and umbreon can learn sucker punch by move tutor in gen4.