• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rare Pokemon Shippings Discussion Thread Ver3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Hi everyone! Welcome to the newest edition of the kind of thread that calls for general discussion of the ships of Pokemon that are rare.

In other words, discuss the shippings you like that do not have a lot of fanfictions, AMVs, fanarts, and/or are not well-known.

Of course, you need to do so within this set of rules:

• All SPPF and Shippers Community rules apply. You know where to find them.
  • Naturally, keep the discussion of the mainstream shippings and ships that are well-known like Rocketshipping or OldRivalshipping the heck outta here.
  • Don't bash any shippings. This is listed in the Shipper's Community rules, but I think it deserves an extra mention as this thread is the place where many, many different shippings will be brought up.
  • Respect each other. Enough said.
  • Have fun!

Here is an ovious topic, nonetheless a good topic to start the discussion:

What is your favorite rare shipping and why?

YearCero

Eugenic Subject - B
Well, if you're talking only about rare shipping than it would be RayShipping.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I like the MistyxSerena shipping, whatever that's called. In fanfics, fan art, etc you usually see those two fighting in some kind of shipping war, but I'd like to see how they would interact and get along with each other like bff instead of fighting.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I've said it once in the first version, I'll say it again: MewShipping will always be my favorite. I'm considering it rare due to the few new fics and fan-art of the pairing in recent years (and I mean it in a romantic sense). And when it comes to Serebii itself, it's definitely rare since I'm pretty much the only one contributing to it at this point in time. Or in my case, just showing off that I support it--still struggling to write at the moment. There used to be a few others in the past, but they're no longer active.

I've also noticed a lack of Darkrai pairings not LunarEclipseShipping, although that, too, doesn't seem to get much support, at least recently. But when it doesn't involve Cresselia, I do like AegisShipping (which is the Alice/Darkrai ship), I just prefer Alicia/Darkrai a little more. I just have of yet to really contribute to it since I have no idea how to at the moment lol.

Xadhoom

Xerbian Mutant
Frontiershipping (Crystal/Emerald) - because of how expertly Kusaka has laid out the groundwork for this to happen along with subtly weaving very relevant themes into the development of their characters. To explicate what-in-de-heck I'm about, it is, firstly and almost paradoxically, because the pairing doesn't have the traditional sort of ship tease and related motifs that we've come to expect from anime/manga couples.

Everything that develops between them emotionally has a measure of realism and understated depth to it, as opposed to the more cartoonish semi-ST that transpires with MangaQuest through the series.

The very start of anything between them is depicted in the Emerald arc's flashback - not with the sort of fantastical beginnings present in Frantic (and even in Special to a degree), but with it dawning on Emerald how kind and dedicated to others Crystal is and him gaining a desire for self-improvement as a result of processing her awesome. The rest of the series continue to forge/show their bond in the background, away from the shonen manga typicalities, with scenes like her sewing his outfit, gestures like Emerald being entrusted with two of her party members, and (especially) their well-coordinated efforts in attempting to capture Jirachi, and following/depicting his growth as a character.

Of particular note in regards to that is a pair of scenes from HGSS and ORAS; the ones where either of them think about the other, wishing them happiness and safety, and they appear as mental images in the panel's backdrop. By virtue of their strongly-matching structure, it appears to me that the latter scene is quite likely a high note in Emerald's expressed character arc, if not its actual conclusion - Crystal and Emerald are equated with one another in that scene, as just two young teens who care about one another (I recognize that I may just be reading way too deeply into it, but, death of the author and all that).

By the time of ORAS, we see an Emerald that is both greatly matured and yet very recognizable - he is comfortable in his own skin enough to go without his heightening gadgets, emotionally comfortable enough to discuss his feelings with Ruby, even relatively heroic in his own right. In short, he has fully become Crystal's equal, and serves the same role among the Hoenn Pokedex Holders that Crystal does for the Johtrio.

It is because of all of this that they are my absolute OTP in PokeSpe, leagues ahead of the generic lineup - because theirs is a relationship based on maturity and close friendship, rather than trauma (as with Frantic) or the one needing to rescue the other (Special, Chosen) that also manages to be superficially cute (how many height-difference couples do you know where the guy is the shorter one?), one of the best-written relationship between any two characters in the series, which could very well transition into something mutually romantic (despite what the fandom's prevalent supply of thought-terminating cliches would have one believe, and shaft this one with "lol-sibling-on-her-part", something that is not and never has been as much as hinted at anywhere in the manga).

Last edited:

Kiryn

I like the MistyxSerena shipping, whatever that's called. In fanfics, fan art, etc you usually see those two fighting in some kind of shipping war, but I'd like to see how they would interact and get along with each other like bff instead of fighting.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ALL OF THIS FOREVER. YES. I AM SO ON BOARD FOR THIS SHIP TOO, AND FOR PRETTY MUCH THE SAME REASONS!!!!!!

This is a bit exciting, I don't often meet other shippers of ChampsElysee, haha. XD

Also, I think Misty and Serena can both be pretty insecure in their own ways (Misty covers hers up with anger, while Serena gets quiet and shy), and while they both grew or are growing with their own character arcs in the show, I think they could help each other grow even more. I think Serena would admire Misty's strength and determination, and how she refuses to be cowed or run over by anyone. With Misty, while she does occasionally express interest and enjoyment of "romantic things", I think years of being degraded by her sisters as a "runt" has made it hard for her to see herself as beautiful, or to let herself be vulnerable and "girly" (this is where I think Misty learned a lot of her defensive anger), and while Ash and Brock weren't as bad, they didn't really let Misty indulge in romance or girly things either (and honestly, both Misty and Ash could be pretty mean to each other at times). But with Serena, Misty could indulge and be feminine and pretty, and I think Serena would be super supportive and not tease her about it.

I've said it so often in regards to this ship....but basically, I think Misty could be the Korra to Serena's Asami, and complete with kicking unnecessary love triangles/ship rivalry to the curb! XD

And I just....ahhhhh, girls being friends and supporting and loving each other instead of tearing each other down, I love it so much. :')

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Alright, my turn now. I recently became very into Joyeuxshipping, which is Ash and Shauna. This is because I really wish Shauna was one of Ash's League rivals too. I think it would have made for a great dynamic between the two, especially this generation. I'm working on an AU-ish fanfic that will hopefully explore what Shauna and Ash's relationship could have been like if this was so.

taeuknam

I actually think this ship sounds really cute, even though I'm an Amourshipper. Like Kiryn said, the best friend chemistry with the two having complementary personalities is a nice concept. I'd also like to see them work together to overcome Ash's denseness instead of fighting over him XD.

A rare shipping that I support is SacADosShipping. It's the shipping between Ash and Serena... ...'s backpacks. I think it's hilarious that you can ship inanimate objects together, and I believe, if memory serves correctly, that I was the one to request the name, so it has some sentimental value to me. What sold me on the concept was a fan art with the backpacks leaning against each other, although I can't seem to find it.

dittomaster

You're gonna be really surprised because this one's so unknown, at least imo, but... Brock and Duplica! (Is it called Fantasyshipping? Idk why someone explain that name lol)

Probably so rare bc Duplica's only appeared in what two episodes but I really liked the potential (not to mention I love her character!!). First of all, in Brock's mind she was "too young" which makes me question how old she is because clearly she's a few years older than Misty watching Indigo League. There are always more hints in the english dub of Pokémon compared to the original, I know, but I watch that version so to me it's legit. Anyway, I like how Brock praised her in both of the episodes she was in and her line "you're making me blush" is just so hint-y. And in the Japanese he said "I'll have to wait seven years" what that even means so he's not against the idea either. Not to mention that if Brock ever ended up with someone (oh if that would even be possible...) I think it would have to be someone who's appearance doesn't distract him or is the reason why he likes that girl. He'd have to get to know her and appreciate her and that would be for me Duplica. Plus, Brock flirting with almost every girl and Duplica being able to imitate everyone also says something about their compatibility. Wish there was more fanart of them though. :(

And lastly their Team Rocket imitation gave me life, and made me really think how good of an addition Duplica would've been to the 1st generation group.

P.S. if anyone would have to put Brock in place if he's oogling another girl it would so be Duplica. I mean she's such a strong female character, opinionated and passionate. How weird that a minor character can be so much more appealing to me than many regular girls on the show.

Last edited:

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
I love Iris x Trip myself in-universe.

There are a few subtle hints, but I found it really cute how Trip took a photo of her. It was so random but super adorable??

BlueDragonfangirl

I just watched today's XY episode, I love Ash X James pairing FYI. Sadly it's hard to find compared to say Ash X Paul or Ash X Gary. It was just adorable how James was rooting for Ash in the league.

Iris pairings aren't too popular, I like Trip X Iris pairing more. Though Dento X Iris is pretty good too.

How about Ash X Alain? There's literally like zero fan made content for this ship. I'm actually rather surprised, Ash usually get shipped with all of his rivals and tbh Alain seems to like Ash the most. It has a ship name I think? I've heard some people refer to it as DragonFireShipping. Other than that, there is nothing. I'm not the only one here that likes this ship, right?

kanrasan

Ash x Greninja. It's soo qt. Like, they're connected in heart and soul or some thing like that. THEY HAVE A TRUE NAKAMA BOND. This ship needs more appreciation smh

AmethystLeslie

I recently taken a liken to the recently named ManmadeShipping, which is MewtwoXMagearna.

I don't know why, I never really ship PokemonXPokemon ever, but somehow it just sounds cute.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
In recent years I've come to like some pretty bizarre (and at times morally and ethically questionable) pairings. Fortunately for all of you lurking about this sub-forum, the Pokemon franchise houses some of the more "normal" pairings I find irresistible. (I suspect this may simply be a consequence of my distaste for pokephilia.)

Let's see... how about AntigravityShipping [Ghetsis x Colress] for starters? Consider how their professional relationship endured in spite of their capricious ways. Now, wouldn't that make for an interesting series of narratives on its own? I certainly think so!

It's not like I haven't found fan fiction for it--I have. It's simply that I haven't seen it depicted in the context of "smarter" fiction. I can't imagine why this is the case when B/W/B2/W2 presented us with two of the most clinically disturbed personalities in the series. Under no circumstances should one party put trust in the other, but between Ghetsis's perpetual need for physical and psychological reassurance and Colress's blatant disregard for himself and others in the name of science, these two humans who otherwise should not be allowed within walking distance the other to cooperate in selfish pursuit of fantastic goals. But even so, both remain fully cognizant of the terrible dangers of engaging in highly treasonous behaviors. It's a risky game they play, one where the slightest misstep can bring even the most ambitious of persons.

A terribly overlooked pairing which I adore and believe deserves more exploration is AbsoluteControlShipping [Giovanni x Cyrus]. It took two failed campaigns and then some (i.e., Mewtwo's fury) before the emotional weight of a lifetime of crime hit Giovanni like a ton of bricks. Left to his own devices, his thoughts would wander to his son Silver and how he'd neglected him, squandering a brilliant individual who showed so much potential. Meanwhile, Giratina drops Cyrus from the Distortion World smack in the middle of Kanto, where Giovanni happens upon him and recognizes the "G" emblem of Team Galactic on his vest. He'd have his doctors see to returning Cyrus to some semblance of health before he would approach him. Cyrus would relate to Giovanni all he could be bothered to before expressing a desire to leave immediately for fear of involving others in his affairs. Giovanni, struck by how much the former Galactic leader reminded him of estranged son, would deny him his request and... well, you get the idea.

Whew, that was a mouthful! Man, I sure hope DarkParadiseShipping doesn't turn out to be a rare!pair...

Origin shipping (Daigo-san x Wallace) is found creepy by half the Pokemon fandom. However, those people don't take into context several things:
1) Wallace and his personality (beat in mind he was first invented 2002, when this was still a stereotype)
2) he split up with Winona
3) how close they are
4) that one frame in volume 22 that made me cry my eyes out
5) What were they doing outside the cave of origins?
6) In the manga, Wallace literally called him Steve at one point
7) could be a bromance

Why does nobody spot this thing?

a) Mainly in the manga
b) Winona
c) Everyone finds it creepy AF
d) we don't know what happened outside the cave of origins
e) water resists steel
f) nobody thinks origin shippers could even dare ship it like bromance
g) Daigo-san and steel-types

I personally ship it canonically as a bromance, but there's a 99% that they are in love with each other and nobody tells us.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ALL OF THIS FOREVER. YES. I AM SO ON BOARD FOR THIS SHIP TOO, AND FOR PRETTY MUCH THE SAME REASONS!!!!!!

This is a bit exciting, I don't often meet other shippers of ChampsElysee, haha. XD

Also, I think Misty and Serena can both be pretty insecure in their own ways (Misty covers hers up with anger, while Serena gets quiet and shy), and while they both grew or are growing with their own character arcs in the show, I think they could help each other grow even more. I think Serena would admire Misty's strength and determination, and how she refuses to be cowed or run over by anyone. With Misty, while she does occasionally express interest and enjoyment of "romantic things", I think years of being degraded by her sisters as a "runt" has made it hard for her to see herself as beautiful, or to let herself be vulnerable and "girly" (this is where I think Misty learned a lot of her defensive anger), and while Ash and Brock weren't as bad, they didn't really let Misty indulge in romance or girly things either (and honestly, both Misty and Ash could be pretty mean to each other at times). But with Serena, Misty could indulge and be feminine and pretty, and I think Serena would be super supportive and not tease her about it.

I've said it so often in regards to this ship....but basically, I think Misty could be the Korra to Serena's Asami, and complete with kicking unnecessary love triangles/ship rivalry to the curb! XD

And I just....ahhhhh, girls being friends and supporting and loving each other instead of tearing each other down, I love it so much. :')

I'm not replying because of the quote, I'm replying because I spotted in your signature that you ship Origin shipping.

Give me a virtual hug. I finally found another person who ships it.

\[^^]/
[ ]
| |

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
I like MalvaxLysandre, BrockxCilan, CLemontxAsh a bit, MarsxCyrus, StevenxZinnia, MiettexSerena, SerenaxAmelia(Girl with Shiny Dragonair), TiernoxTrevor, SceptilexLilligant, and HydreigonxMegaGardevoir

I like MalvaxLysandre, BrockxCilan, CLemontxAsh a bit, MarsxCyrus, StevenxZinnia , MiettexSerena, SerenaxAmelia(Girl with Shiny Dragonair), TiernoxTrevor, SceptilexLilligant, and HydreigonxMegaGardevoir

Ok Daigo-san x Zinnia is very interesting. Not as good as Daigo-san x Wallace, but very interesting. It would make sense concerning that their arguments are actually kinda cute. Also can't have been the only one to have thought that when Daigo-san said "I feel like I should recognise her from somewhere..." Was relevant.

But what would the name be? I think SkyPillarShipping, as both of them have encountered Rayquaza atop the Sky pillar at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.