• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rate each “goodbye” in Pokémon

Aquafinna

I personally enjoyed DP’s, OS’s and AG’s the most. I felt DP had the most emotion in it and I really felt like Dawn Ash and Brock didn’t want part with each other but their time together had just came to an end sadly. Dawn and Ash definitely delivered some powerful moments and I enjoyed when Ash said “No no need to worry” to cheer Dawn up.

Part of the reason why I liked OS’a goodbye was the dub edit of Misty’s “song”. It had a really 90’s vibe to it and it went together great the flashback scenes. It great seeing Ash using the gifts his friends gave him to help him get him out of trouble.

AG had somewhat of a bland goodbye but I do like how May kind of instated the goodbye. She wanted to go on our her own journey; by herself to grow as a trainer. She realized she depended to much on everyone and wanted to better herself by becoming more dependent on herself.

I’d rate it

DP
OS
AG
BW/XY

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
1) XY/OS
2) DP
3) AG
4) BW

My favorite is a tie between XY and OS. OS was of course the most emotional till date, since it was the end of the original trio, and Misty and Ash were visibly sad. XY's farewell felt the most complete to me, and it was no doubt touching, but more than that, I loved how positive it felt. Serena and Clemont on their new paths ahead, and we got to see conclusions for other major characters, like the summer camp trio, Alain and Mairin, Sawyer with Steven, and of course Greninja. And of course, Ash himself, with all the flashbacks of his journey in Kalos, and the final scene of him entering his house at night was a beautiful way to end.

DP is second, since this was the end of Brock. Piplup's emotional outburst was sad, but I did find it a bit annoying as well. But of course, my favorite moment in the DP farewell was Ash saying 'no need to worry' to Dawn.

AG was a mixed bag honestly. It wasn't really emotional, but it was a good conclusion for May, as she had shown her seriousness on how she wanted to develop further, by going on her own journey.

Last is obviously BW. You know it's a poor conclusion when the traveling companions Iris and Cilan went off one episode early (and had no feeling at all), the final episode is just about Ash with a temporary reporter in Pallet. I did like the part where he holds his fist in the air and promises to continue his dream, with the memories of his companions. The final photo with all his Pokémon was pretty neat as well.

Alola Adventurer

Memories Are Made of Bliss (DP)
Till We Compete Again (XY)
Home Is Where the Start Is (AG)
Gotta Catch Ya Later (OS)
Best Wishes, Until We Meet Again (BW)

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I always rate for some reason DP farewell the best, it actually felt like a legit goodbye. Since both brock had finally left the show for good and dawn too had left. XY godbye was also very well written.
DP
XY
OS
AG
BW

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
OS
DP
XY
AG
BW

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Last is obviously BW. You know it's a poor conclusion when the traveling companions Iris and Cilan went off one episode early (and had no feeling at all), the final episode is just about Ash with a temporary reporter in Pallet. I did like the part where he holds his fist in the air and promises to continue his dream, with the memories of his companions. The final photo with all his Pokémon was pretty neat as well.
I thought the BW farewell was hilarious. The producers/writers just shoved Cilan & Iris in the train, giving me the impression they really want to get rid of them.

Anyways, I' ll go with DP, OS, AG, XY, BW.

Genaller

Silver Soul
1. XY
2. OS
3. DP
4. AG
5. BW

It’s a really tough call between XY and OS. No other goodbye had the raw emotion from “Gotta Catch Ya Later!” though XY’s goodbye felt the most complete and honestly the shot at the end with Ash walking into his house would even serve as a beautiful final shot for the entire series in general. Not gonna lie (and I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority here); I didn’t care much for Piplup’s tantrum in the last episode though barring that the farewells with Ash and Dawn having their last high-five and with Ash and Brock parting ways (with this being the last time that Brock would be a main character) were both very impactful. AG’s goodbye was a mixed bag. I liked Ash and May’s goodbye with the half-ribbon symbolism though I never really care about Max. It also didn’t help that only half the episode was dedicated to the goodbye while the rest of it was about hyping up Sinnoh. BW’s goodbye had zero emotional weight and wasn’t even done in the last episode (lol I can’t imagine how else the writers could’ve made it more obvious that they didn’t care about Iris and Cilan barring having Ash flat-out say it out loud).

Aquafinna

I thought the BW farewell was hilarious. The producers/writers just shoved Cilan & Iris in the train, giving me the impression they really want to get rid of them.

Anyways, I' ll go with DP, OS, AG, XY, BW.
The writers always confused me with that one. When the Unova League was over both Iris and Cilan seemed like they really wanted to follow Ash around but just randomly ditched him in one of the final episodes of BW

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
BW is the worst for the goodbye. Which is unfortunate, because a well done send off really would've helped the series.

OS has the most emotional goodbye.
AG I can't remember the goodbye, really.
DP's goodbye was focused on that penguin.
XY's farewell feels most final, I guess.

For all the farewells they had, how did every girl except Misty and Serena end up in Johto? Not that I mind, Johto is my favorite region.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
BW is the worst for the goodbye. Which is unfortunate, because a well done send off really would've helped the series.

OS has the most emotional goodbye.
AG I can't remember the goodbye, really.
DP's goodbye was focused on that penguin.
XY's farewell feels most final, I guess.

For all the farewells they had, how did every girl except Misty and Serena end up in Johto? Not that I mind, Johto is my favorite region.
Johto is the black hole of the universe.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
DP: Imagine you're an excited kid waking up to watch your favorite TV show and you're bombarded with your childhood heros separating. I actually cried because the anime was the highlight of my beginning to Pokémon. Seeing Piplup & Togekiss sobbing hurt me. I was really invested in this show much more than other shows airing at the time. It still gets me to this day, almost a decade later.

OS: I loved the chemistry of these 3. Felt like typical siblings. Their goodbye "talk" was a mixture of them wanting to move on in life but also staying in the past, which is a relatable topic when it's time to leave behind friends.

AG: I'm speaking about the Kanto Arc split up, not the original Hoenn one. You saw how connected they were with them final episode. From the Hoenn starter Contest battle to them eating and Max making a deal with Ash, it really shows they rely on each other. Only gripe is this connection didn't appear enough in the series.

XY: The Serena kissing Ash and the final battle of Pikachu vs Bunnelby made it for. Both were symbolic of Serena's newfound confidence & Clemont's growth since the start respectively. I hated the Dedenne part tbh.

BW: Didn't feel any emotion. It felt like they weren't that concerned with leaving their friend behind.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
DP: Knowing Brock was really leaving this time made it extremely sad. And it was sad to see the best cast split apart. Poor Piplup too....
OS: If you didn't cry during your first time watching this as a kid.... then I don't know what to think. It was very emotional, and I liked that Ho-oh actually appeared during it as well. Ho-oh appeared at the beginning of Ash's OS career and he appeared at the end.
AG: That contest was a really nice send off for May, and it was nice seeing her get graced with Blaziken at the end of AG. Something that should have happened with Togetic really, rather than that happening in another series.
XY: Felt nothing. Serena's kiss and the reactions was really what saved this. If only Brock could have seen that, or hear about it..... Brock and Serena are the two cast members I'm dying to see interact actually
BW: Felt lazy, let's just toss them onto a train to Johto and be done with them! Iris I can get, Clair is there.... but why couldn't Cilan go somewhere else? Or you know..... go to Kalos with Ash?

Slapstick-Olivia

OS: felt for me like the most emotional goodbye. It really showed that Ash, Misty and Brock are friends and care for each other. This is actually the only goodbye in the anime, where all the human characters where emotionally attached. With the the rest of them I sadly feel nothing.

AG: Ash, Brock and May actually handled their goodbye pretty good.... to good if you ask me. Max was the only one, that was really sad in the end.

DP: With DP it is kinda the same. Piplup was the only one of them, that was emotionally sad to leave his friends behind.

BW: Nothing... really nothing. It was just so emotionless. Ash, Iris and Cilan always felt for me like three people that walked the same way a long side each other instead of been real friends.

X&Y: For some bizarre reason Dedenne was the one that was emotionally the most sad. I really do not get this. Maybe I missed something but why was Dedenne the character, that felt the most attached to this goodbye.? Also Serena's kiss in the end felt more like fanservice rather than a real emotional bye scene. I could't took this shipping seriously. it always felt like a ratings trap for me.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

I'll say this though, BW had a bad goodbye, but an excellent final episode. That episode itself was incredible.

also, since you reminded me of her, kinda sad Alexa wasn't involved in XY's goodbye at all given that she's the one who told him about the region and took him there. In fact I think the last time in the whole series she spoke to Ash was in XY66, which is pretty sad.

wasn’t even done in the last episode

neither was OS's lol

Genaller

Silver Soul
I'll say this though, BW had a bad goodbye, but an excellent final episode. That episode itself was incredible.
Yeah that final episode would’ve retroactively been 1 of the best episodes in the series had Ash actually won the Kalos League.

neither was OS's lol
If you want to be technical about it then sure though the last OS episode was entirely about Ash’s boat ride to Hoenn, so narratively speaking it was more like the first episode of AG.