• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rate my AS team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon_Reborn

This is my current AS team that I'm using for competitive play.Any suggestions,advice,etc is welcome.What do you think of my team?

Landorus-T@Leftovers
Ability:Intimidate
Nature:Impish
EV's: 252 HP/240 Def/8 SpD/8 Spe
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-U Turn
-Knock Off

Landorus T is my set up pokemon.Earthquake is for standard choice for STAB.Stealth Rock provides me entry hazards to cause some residual damage.U Turn provide a safe switch out to counters and dish out some damage.Knock off helps against some strong threats such as Gengar,Latios,Latias,etc.Knock Off can also knock off an item too.

Mega Venusaur@Venusarite
Ability:Thick Fat
Nature:Modest
EV's: 232 HP/252 SpA/20 Spe/4SpD
-Sludge Bomb
-Earthquake?
-Giga Drain
-Synthesis
Venusaur is my mega evolution of choice.Sludge Bomb is my STAB and counter to fairy or grass types.Giga Drain helps against water threats such as Azumarill,etc and also provides some healing to stay in longer.Synthesis is my reliable source of healing to keep Venusaur up and in longer.Earthquake was more of a filler move since I wasn't able to get HP Fire.I kept getting HP Dark instead.Any suggestions what to substitute Earthquake with?

Skarmory@Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability:Sturdy
Nature:Impish
EV's: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
-Brave Bird
-Taunt/Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Roost

Skarmory is my physical wall.Brave Bird is a great STAB and can also check some Mega forms such as Lopunny,Gallade,Pinsir.Roost helps keep Skarmory alive and helps recover from Brave Bird recoil.Whirlwind helps force out anything that may give Skarmory problems as well as cause residual damage.I'm not sure whether to use Taunt or Spikes.Spikes can help provide more residual damage since Whirlwind can force switch in's.Taunt though can help prevent them from setting up entry hazards.Which would be better to use?

Porygon Z@Life Orb
Ability:Adaptability
Nature:Timid
EV's: 252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpD
-Tri Attack
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
-Thunderbolt/Ice Beam

Porygon Z is my special sweeper.Tri Attack is STAB and procs his ability Adaptability for a extra damage boost.Nasty Plot helps Porygon Z sharply raise his special attack to sweep more effectively.Dark Pulse is to help against any ghost type that may switch in on Tri Attack.Last slot is between Thunderbolt and Ice Beam.Thunderbolt can hit water and flying types hard,but Ice Beam can also take out flying types as well as dragon,grass and ground too.Which would be better for my team?

Tentacruel@Black Sludge
Ability:Liquid Ooze
Nature:Bold
EV's: 240 HP/ 244 Def/ 24 Spe
-Scald
-Toxic Spikes
-Sludge Bomb
-Rapid Spin

Tentacruel is more of my utility pokemon.Scald is for STAB and occassional burn.Toxic Spikes provides another entry hazard to wear down with poison status.Sludge Bomb helps as a back up fairy check if Venusuar goes down early.Rapid Spin is my choice to spin away enemy entry hazards that may be used.

Rotom H@Leftovers
Ability:Levitate
EV's: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 Spe
-Overheat
-Will-O-Wisp
-Volt Switch
-Pain Split

Overheat is reliable STAB.Will-O-Wisp helps spread burn damage around.Volt Switch gives it switching utility.Pain Split is a decent source of healing.

That's my team above.Any suggestions?I thought about maybe switching out Skarmory for Mandibuzz to have a defogger.Not sure if he'd really be worth having or not.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Ditch Porygon-Z because it sucks. Not fast, frail, and actually pretty easy to wall.

LynxForte

The Phoenix
I wouldn't say Porygon-Z sucks, it just sucks as a special sweeper. It's better as a revenge killer. Also, you're lacking physical attacking power. Landorus as a wall won't do the job and Skarmory lacks the attacking power as well. Also, nothing on your team wants to take a special attack unless it resists it. The team needs to be revamped quite a bit

Dragon_Reborn

If Porygon Z is not good at all,what would be good to replace it with?Yeah I notice I don't have a physical sweeper pokemon other then Landorus.Then again Landorus is not set up to be a physical sweeper.More of a defensive set up pokemon.

LynxForte

The Phoenix
It depends on what you do with your team. As I said, there are no pokemon dedicated to attacking physically nor is there a pokemon dedicated to taking special hits. Once you figure those 2 things out, I can recommend something.

Dragon_Reborn

I've been looking around at physical sweepers and decided I'm going to use Infernape.I thought Tentacruel was a pretty good special wall.120 base special defense along with 8 resistances.Other then that the only other special wall I probably would use would be Milotic.

Here's the Infernape moveset I'm going to use.As well as the Milotic set I'd use if I use her.

Infernape@Life Orb
Ability:Blaze
Nature:Jolly
EV's: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpD
-Flare Blitz
-Gunk Shot
-Close Combat
-U Turn

Infernape is my physical sweeper.Flare Blitz is for STAB and hit really hard with Life Orb/Blaze ability.Close Combat is also for STAB and good neutral coverage.Gunk Shot is a must to use on any fairy type that might switch in.U Turn is for a safe switch out and dish some damage out meanwhile.

Milotic@Leftovers
Ability:Marvel Scale
EV's: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SpD
-Scald
-Dragon Tail
-Ice Beam
-Recover

Scald is for STAB and chance to burn opposing pokemon.Dragon Tail does good damage and forces the opposing pokemon out of battle causing residual damage from entry hazards.Ice Beam is for any grass or dragon type that may come in on it.Recover will keep Milotic healthy and in longer.

LynxForte

The Phoenix
So which 2 pokemon are you replacing?

Also, as a special wall, that set is not going to cut it. Milotic can eat up hits, but mostly physical ones unless it has a status. There are many other pokemon better to take on special hits. Once you tell me which 2 pokemon you're replacing, I can give you a better option than Milotic. Also, you have Dragon Tail to cause residual damage with entry hazards, but the only entry hazards you have on your team is Toxic Spikes which does not cause residual damage.

I am going to ask a question that I pretty much know the answer to already, is this your first time building a competitive team?

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Milotic is also bad, use Suicune or something else as your bulky Water. Infernape is passable, if mediocre.

Dragon_Reborn

The 2 pokemon I would replace is Heatran H and Tentacruel.I'm going to replace Rotom H with Infernape and Tentacruel with Milotic.

Yeah this is my first time building a serious competitive team.

LynxForte

The Phoenix
So your team looks like this
- Landorus
- M-Venusaur
- Skarmory
- Porygon-Z
- Infernape
- Milotic

As stated, Milotic isn't a dedicated special wall. It has a really good sp.def, but the issue is, its better as a physical wall. Water types are mostly physically defensive because their weaknesses (electric and grass) are mostly special attacks. With that said, I would recommend something like Sylveon, Goodra, Chansey, Blissey or Heatran. All have their advantages and disadvantages.

Also, with Infernape, you need to put Mach Punch on it. Priority can be the difference of you winning and losing a close game. You can do without Gunk Shot as Flare Blitz will hurt any fairies that want to switch in on a Close Combat. Also, you would be setting yourself up for an unnecessary mind game if someone has both a Fairy and Steel type on their team.

On Venusaur, get rid of Earthquake and try breeding for HP Fire (assuming you're building this team for WiFi). Breeding for Hidden Powers is really time consuming, but check out some of the breeding shops and they may be able to help. Or just give it Growth and let Venusaur be your sweeper.

Porygon-Z give it either a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs (I recommend Scarf). Or replace it with Gengar, Thundurus or Hydreigon.

So your team could look something like this when finished
- Landorus
- M-Venusaur
- Infernape
- Gengar/Thundurus/Hydreigon
- Sylveon/Goodra/Blissey/Chansey/Heatran
- Skarmory (I think this needs to be replaced, I just can't think of good options right now. This also depends on what the team needs).

Dragon_Reborn

As stated, Milotic isn't a dedicated special wall. It has a really good sp.def, but the issue is, its better as a physical wall. Water types are mostly physically defensive because their weaknesses (electric and grass) are mostly special attacks. With that said, I would recommend something like Sylveon, Goodra, Chansey, Blissey or Heatran. All have their advantages and disadvantages.
Alright.I'm kind of leaning towards Chansey/Blissey.They have always been the best special walls in the game for several generations.I've never used a Sylveon before,but she looks like a good choice too.

Also, with Infernape, you need to put Mach Punch on it. Priority can be the difference of you winning and losing a close game. You can do without Gunk Shot as Flare Blitz will hurt any fairies that want to switch in on a Close Combat. Also, you would be setting yourself up for an unnecessary mind game if someone has both a Fairy and Steel type on their team.
I agree and good idea.I'm going to drop Gunk Shot for Mach Punch.I was lucky and got a Infernape with Iron Fist off GTS which will make Mach Punch hit even harder.I do have Sludge Bomb on Venusaur so wont really need Gunk Shot.

On Venusaur, get rid of Earthquake and try breeding for HP Fire (assuming you're building this team for WiFi). Breeding for Hidden Powers is really time consuming, but check out some of the breeding shops and they may be able to help. Or just give it Growth and let Venusaur be your sweeper.
I'm going to try and breed out IV's for HP Fire.I think HP Fire will be much better in the long run.

Porygon-Z give it either a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs (I recommend Scarf). Or replace it with Gengar, Thundurus or Hydreigon.
Ok.I think Choice Scarf would be better since Porygon Z's speed is a bit slower then other special sweepers out there.Those are some good choices.I'll have to look into them closely before choosing.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Just dump Z entirely. Scarf is super easy to wall and not that fast in the first place, preventing it from revenging some boosting sweepers

Dragon_Reborn

Just dump Z entirely. Scarf is super easy to wall and not that fast in the first place, preventing it from revenging some boosting sweepers

Ok,but what is good to replace him with?

Status
Not open for further replies.