• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rate my sand team Attempt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zydren The Hydreigon

Average Trainer
This might be the worst sand team anybody has seen but

Hippowdon smooth rock
Sand stream
Impish 252 Hp 144 def 112 sp def
Earthquake
Stealth rock
Slack off
Whirlwind
This is my lead and also sets up sandstorm which is the core of this team, Set up rocks, then either use eq or whirlwind the target away so the incoming target takes steal rock damage, slack off is for recovery which is needed so hippowdon lasts longer and to reset up sandstorm if needed,

Garchomp brightpowder
Sand viel
Jolly 252 attack and speed
Dragon claw
Earthquake
Swords dance
Double team
I know evasion things are banned in most formats but I thought this would be fun to try with friends, also I was running out of ideas but this isn't relevant, d claw and eq are primary stabs which hit things hard, swords dance to boost attack, and double team to enduce rage into the opponent and avoid attacks
So most of the time attacks will miss due to sand veil, bright powder and double team,

Stoutland choice band
Adamant 252 attack speed
Sand rush
Return
Fire fang
Crunch
Play rough
I chose stoutland because it is one of the few things with sand rush, anyways,
Return is stab and with cb hits thing hard and sometimes OHKO. Fire fang for coverage , crunch to hit ghosts etc, and play rough for fairy coverage.

Excadrill. life orb
Adamant 252 attack speed
Sand rush
Iron head
Earthquake
Rock slide
Rapid spin
Basic excadrill, I'm pretty sure everyone knows the drill here.
Hehe, iron head and eq are stabs and hit a lot of things for a lot of damage, rock slide for fire types eg mega zard y and talonflame, Rapid spin to clear hazards

Metagross mega
Tough claws
Jolly 252 attack speed
Brick break
Ice punch
Meteor mash
Zen headbutt
I'm 80% sure this is the basic mega-gross execpt for brick break.
Meteor mash and zen headbutt are main stabs but are a tad inaccurate , ice punch is for ground types and coverage on things weak to ice, brick break is fighting coverage and breaks dual screens (which I don't see to often)

TO BE BRED
Alakazam life orb/focus sash
Timid 252 SPatk speed
Magic guard
Psychic/psyshock
Shadow ball
Dazzling gleam
Filler (I don't like using focus blast)

Psychic is a strong stab,psyshock is less powerful but hits special walls, shadow ball has coverage and hits ghosts , dazzling gleam has fairy coverage And hits darks, And I need suggestions for the last slot

So opinions/ better mons to use?
Also killerdraco , is this Better?

Last edited:

LynxForte

The Phoenix
#1 issue with this team...All 6 pokemon hit on the physical side (glad you realized this). Which means things like Mega Slowbro just sit on the field waiting for the sand to end and when you switch out to reset it, you're just taking a scald and losing Hippowdon or Tyranitar.

Honestly, you don't need T-tar either; you can replace it with Mega Metagross. Besides, I wouldn't trust anything from wonder trade. Unless you're just going to use it to breed.

Shedinja doesn't do anything other than make your opponent switch unless they have a super effective move. Replace it with Magic Guard Alakazam; Gives you a strong special attacker as well as a fast pokemon.

Garchomp...rough skin is always better, but you do what you like with it.

I personally like Stoutland, but there will be some people here who say its a bad pokemon, but its meant to be in a sand team and it does what it's supposed to. But get rid of it because you don't need 2 sand rush pokemon on the team. Replace it with another special attaker; like Choice Specs Heliolisk

And entry hazards ARE really common. If you play 3v3 on battle spot, then no its not. If you're playing with friends, its probably not. VGC, definitely not. But trust me when I say hazards are very common, so slap rapid spin on Excadrill.

Zydren The Hydreigon

Average Trainer
Ok so I already have a mega metagross so that's an easy replacement.
I have 4 garchomps with rough skin with different sets and roles, while I will probably use rough skin i just use sand viel because it's affected by sandstorm,
i have a heliolisk but it has dry skin so do I breed for a new one with sand veil? Or keep dry skin, but stoutland has done fairly well in the tests I've done.
I only just found a magic guard abra in dexnav so I'll start breeding that later
And also give excadrill rapid spin over what, I'm thinking swords dance but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

LynxForte

The Phoenix
I run Dry Skin because the water immunity. Heliolisk will just Volt Switch most of the time anyway, so it's not taking a lot of sand damage.

You can drop SD or Rock Slide. It's preference really. Metagross will be your Sweeper/Cleaner, so Excadrill can be used to just put holes into teams

Zydren The Hydreigon

Average Trainer
Ok so I replaced sd for rapid spin, but alakazam cant hold life orb because excadrill has it, so I'm assuming that I give excadrill a different item?

LynxForte

The Phoenix
Ok so I replaced sd for rapid spin, but alakazam cant hold life orb because excadrill has it, so I'm assuming that I give excadrill a different item?
Alakazam can hold the item. Unless you're playing on battle spot (if you are, you don't want a weather team), nothing except your personal preference is stopping you from giving 2 pokemon the same item. If it is an issue for you, give Alakazam a focus sash.

Zydren The Hydreigon

Average Trainer
Oh, I thought that the no two same items rule applied to every format, like even with my friends it's no duplicate items, but idk, I might have two life orbs

LynxForte

The Phoenix
Oh, I thought that the no two same items rule applied to every format, like even with my friends it's no duplicate items, but idk, I might have two life orbs

No, that's just a nintendo rule and a personal preference thing. And its really just to keep someone from giving 6 pokemon leftovers and playing a full 60 min game.

LynxForte

The Phoenix
The moveset is entirely preference, but standard should be Shadow Ball, Psyshock, Energy Ball, Focus Blast/HP Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.