• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rate my team, I'm clueless

DJB241

Long-term enthusiast
Hi there. New to forums. Not new to pokemon (10+ years). To cut a long story short, I like to base my teams entirely on raw power and speed, using STAB bonuses and general coverage. I only discovered IVs and EVs two years ago in B/W1, and have only just begun incorporating what I think passes as strategy. I love the new mega evolves and really want to use one, seeing as it's allowed, but can't decide on one. My team:

Sceptile (Jolly, Focus Sash)
Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Aerodactyl (Jolly, Life Orb)
Taunt
Tailwind
Rock Slide
Iron Head

Starmie (Timid, Leftovers)
Light Screen
Reflect
Hydro Pump
Psychic

Arcanine (Adamant, Air Balloon)
Extremespeed
Flare Blitz
Wild Charge
Close Combat

Gengar (Modest, Choice Scarf)
Shadow Ball
Shadow Pulse
Sludge Bomb
Dazzling Gleam

I know, I know. Every letter is an amateur strategic cliche. I like to use pokemon I, well, that I like. I feel this team is good in all battle types. I also like how most of my team could probably win most 1 vs 1 scenarios. But like I said before, I can't decide on a mega.

My suggestions: Garchomp, Charizard Y, Gyarados, Heracross or Blaziken.

I don't want to change my current five pokemon however different move suggestions would be interesting to see. If you've read this long, thank you!

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
For one you might want to put Rapid Spin on that Starmie, also, I'd recommend Charizard X as a mega for your team.

Trevenant

Banned
Sceptile looks good. Does it have Unburden or Overgrow as its ability?
Replace Tailwind on Aerodactyl with Earthquake. Most of your team is pretty fast, so Tailwind won't help all that much.
Change Starmie's item to Light Clay if you want to keep the two screens. If you don't use them enough, replace the two moves with Recover and Thunderbolt, or Ice Beam if Ice-weak guys are more hazardous/common to you. Natural Cure advised, if it doesn't have it you can use an Ability Capsule for 200 BP if you don't want to rebreed.
Arcanine is good. Which ability does he have?
Replace Dark Pulse on Gengar with Focus Blast. Dark Pulse doesn't really offer any good coverage, but Focus Blast does, although it's inaccurate, the high power and Fighting-type can really come in handy.

As the above poster said it is hard to go wrong with Mega Charizard X. I would advise looking into a different-typed Mega than a Pokemon you currently have, though. I like Mega Manectric a lot. Not very sturdy, but it's strong, fast, and has naturally great coverage.

Last edited:

roserade the warrior

You left out something important... The abilities D:
Anyway
Sceptile is good, if he has overgrow I wouldnt change anything at all. On the other hand, if it has unburden, then I would suggest you change its nature to adamant, and give it a berry like the sitrus or other easily consumable item, because lets face it, sceptile is fragile, but not that fragile, and if you use swords dance and sceptile is damaged but not "killed", the focus sash will remain until he dies, making unburden useless.
Aerodactyl is fine too, as someone said, better change tail wind for something else, that depends however by the ability. If it is rock head, I suggest double, massive damage and no recoil thanks to the ability. If its pressure or unnerve maybe some powerful flying type move, or earthquake.
Starmie. This one seems fine but weird, why a dual screener? Anyway, if you wanna keep the screens I suggest changing the leftovers for light clay. Hydro pump is powerful, but lacks a lot of accuracy and has no effect, scald is a lot weaker, but has better accuracy and can burn the target, surf is a little bit more powerful than scald but has no effect. As for psychic, it is pretty good, but I often use psyshock, because it gives you a little more coverage thanks to it being a special move and doing physical damage, however is less powerful, so that depends upon you.
Arcanine is fine, just that life orb is more popular, you lost a little HP for every damage you do, but boost all your damaging moves, pretty good to do a lot of damage, specially for arcanine which has a lot of attack.
Gengar, nothing to say, is good enough the way it is.

As for the Mega... well, I havent used them at all.
But one I like is mega venusaur, its ability leaves him with just 2 weaknesses, its quick enough and can take a lot of damage, and it learns giga drain and leech seed.

I guess thats all.

DJB241

Long-term enthusiast
Thanks for speedy replies, folks. My pokemon's abilities.
Sceptile has Overgrow (post focus sash and swords dance leafblade chaos)
Aerodactyl has pressure
Arcanine has Intimidate
Starmie has natural cure. The other two are fixed abilities.
During my online experiences, I've discovered entry hazards such as stealth rock and sticky web are underused, making rapid spin slightly pointless. Toxic spikes is common though, but sending gengar in deals with that nicely. I have Y, so X Megas out of question. (By the way, any news on US and EUR releases of opposing charizard and mewtwo dlc?).
Hysterically enough, Tailwind is still necessary in most fights. Darkrai is an issue, as well as many chice scarf users or shell smashers.
Having mentioned all this, you see why I'm struggling on a sixth guy. I need someone to pick up the slack of the others. I guess I'm stuck in my ways, though rapid spin is a good idea. How about charizard y? He'd be timid with drought, solarbeam, heatwave, dragon pulse and blast burn.
Thanks for your replies.

Spacial Rend

Ultra Trainer
Sceptile (Jolly, Focus Sash)
Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
Rock Slide
Earthquake

This one looks pretty good to me for a physical sweeper

Aerodactyl (Jolly, Life Orb)
Taunt
Tailwind
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Earthquake and Rock Slide/Stone Edge have near-perfect coverage, as well as EQ being more powerful. Having both Taunt and Tailwind may be hard to set up, as Aerodactyl is so frail defensively.

Starmie (Timid, Leftovers)Light Clay
Light Screen
Reflect
Hydro Pump
Psychic

Starmie will have a hard time setting up dual screens because of its low defenses. It is probably a better idea to give it Thunderbolt/Ice Beam and Rapid Spin

Arcanine (Adamant, Air Balloon)
Extremespeed
Flare Blitz
Wild Charge
Close Combat

Set looks good. Air Balloon isn't the best item though. A Life Orb or Choice Band is a better pick.

Gengar (Modest, Black Sludge/Life Orb/Gengarite)
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt/Destiny Bond

Gengar with a choice scarf isn't the best idea. I would suggest either a Life Orb, or using Mega Gengar. You can use Black Sludge if you are limited on items. Focus Blast provides much better coverage than Dark Pulse and Dazzling Gleam. Only problem is its terrible accuracy, but it's worth it. Also, Destiny Bond is a great move to get an easy KO on a slower Pokémon.

Changes in bold

DJB241

Long-term enthusiast
Thanks for replies, guys. Now very strongly considering removing reflect for rapid spin and leftovers for light clay on starmie. The previous post made a very nice point on aerodactyl having taunt and tailwind. They perform the same task for two different situations. Taunt negates the activation of dark void and TRICK ROOM (The brainchild of satan). Would a choice band Jolly Arcanine be better than my current? Also, on the sixth pokemon front, I'm thinking either mega Scizor or another high defence pokemon for buffing then priority sweeping such as Hariyama or Metagross.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

ShinyApocalypse

Aerodactyl (Jolly, Muscle band/ Wide Lens)
Iron Head/ Fire Blast / roost
Tailwind
stone edge
earthquake

As stated earlier stone edge/ earthquake have grate coverage and power. Muscle band is a better item for him as the life orb takes its tole an such a fragile poke. Fire Blast could be used as an alternate to iron head if you find your not using it as much and if so wide lens may be the better item as it increase the accuracy of it as well as stone edge. roost is also a choice if you want to keep life orb on him

Arcanine (Adamant, Choice band/ Expert belt)
Extremespeed
Flare Blitz
Wild Charge
Close Combat

more power to your already powerful attacks, get more OHKO or 2HKOs with it but you will be locked in. Expert Belt works almost as well, dosnt lock you in but only helps with super effective moves. You have most things covered so it wouldnt be that much of a drawback

Gengar (Modest, Life orb )
Shadow Ball
Focusblast
taunt
Dazzling Gleam

Better coverage as has been said before but with life orb youll get more bang for your buck. I moved taunt so aerodactyl could get better coverage.

As i havent really used megas i cant help all that much with it. Best of luck Friend