1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Rate My VGC 2018 Team

Discussion in '7th Gen RMT' started by NiteMareRose, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiteMareRose

NiteMareRose Active Member

This team is what im planning for the international comp in Sydney Feb 9th

revolves mainly around sceptile and koko

support arcanine and a life orb lando for intimidate

metagross for pesky fairies

im not to sure about Araquanid tho but the wide guard makes it tempting

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Protect
    - Energy Ball
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Discharge
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Thunderbolt

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Protect
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake
    - Bulk Up

Arcanine @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Helping Hand
    - Snarl
    - Heat Wave
    - Will-O-Wisp

Araquanid-Totem @ Waterium Z
    Ability: Water Bubble
    EVs: 250 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Wide Guard
    - Liquidation
    - Leech Life
    - Poison Jab

Metagross @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Meteor Mash
    - Zen Headbutt

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Well-Known Member

I think the speed on your Tapu Koko is a bit overkill. You don't need Timid + Max speed + Scarf. Invest less in speed and more in bulk I'd say. What do you plan to outrun that's so fast and justifies that investment? You're reaching 300 speed with that at level 50.

In your case you could remove all speed EV investment (I'm assuming from the 0 IV you've already soft-resetted for a long time for this one, so I'm not suggesting to change the nature), put all of that in HP for more bulk, and you still reach 165 speed prior to Scarf, which is 247 with a scarf, more than enough to outspeed your Mega Sceptile (has 216 speed after mega evolution) so you can boost it with Discharge before Sceptile attacks (which I think the idea is). Also, even with 0 speed EVs you still outspeed other fast stuff like Choice Scarf Tapu Lele. You could go with 36 speed EVs, which gives you 170 speed, enough to outspeed Jolly Scarf Garchomp, but I don't think Scarf Garchomp usually runs max speed and Jolly either. But you really don't need to go higher than that.

Another thing I can see is that your Landorus seems to be a sweeping variant, but you don't have any Earthquake immune pokémon on your team aside from Landorus itself, which makes it fairly hard to utilise. Three out of five potential partners are actually Earthquake-weak, and none of them run Protect either. How does this work out in practice? Landorus is one of those pokémon that can do a lot of different things, and I'm not sure you're taking the best route suited for your team. One of my favourites is Z-Imprison which raises Landorus's Sp.Def stat by two stages and simultaneously blocks the opponent from using Rock Slide and Earthquake. It combines really well with Intimidate, but it's best for more defensive sets. Z-Imprison would work really well next to Tapu Koko. Landorus is immune to Discharge and Landorus blocks the opponent from using Earthquake to take out Tapu Koko.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. EKZ1505

EKZ1505 VGC Master

The original post needs a LOT more detail to even begin to fairly rate the team unfortunately. Your EVs are fairly straight-forward so they don't need much explanation (other than maybe Koko's speed and why Araquanid is Careful and max attack), but your move choices (especially since there's a number of unique choices, some of which I do not think are good, but perhaps there's justification for it), team synergy, and what gives your team trouble (so we can help with it) need detail.

Only thing I can add right away is that you are wasting EVs on Araquanid. Anything divisible by 8 (assuming a perfect IV) at lvl 50 is wasting 4 EVs, so the 248 HP (since the last 2 don't do anything) and 8 SpDef should either be made 252 HP and 4 SpDef, or 244 HP, 4 Def, 4 SpDef, and 4 Spe (this spread actually gives you an extra point overall, but the speed won't do much other than help with a mirror-match).

4. Ragnarok

Ragnarok #BeastMode Staff Member Super Mod

Thread is in violation of rule 3:

The thread can be reopened by PMing me amendents that comply with the rules quoted.

Be sure to refer to the section rules before posting rate my team threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.