• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rate Pokémon Gens. I-V, from top to bottom! Which one is your personal favorite?

PokemonJesus123

The Pokémon Punk
Rate Pokémon Gens. I-V, from top to bottom! Which one is your personal favorite?

So here's how it's gonna go...
It's pretty simple! Take regard to ALL of the gen. related things that correspond to that region from Pokémon design, types, places, characters, to games, story, to anime, to manga, merchandise etc. EVERYTHING IN GENERAL! You get the deal right? lol

Give them a letter grade from (A-F) and then rank them from 1st place to last place...just wanna see what other people's thoughts are!
TIEING/DRAWS IN REGIONS IS POSSIBLE IF YOU REALLY CAN'T DECIDE WHICH ONE YOU LIKE BETTER :D
If you want to, you can add reasons/descriptions on why you rate them that way and why that's your favorite or why that's your least favorite.
PLEASE NO HATING AND BASHING ANOTHER PERSON'S OPINION!
EACH PERSON IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN POINT OF VIEWS!

I'll start with my opinion! So you get how it's gonna go!
Kanto (Gen. I) - A
Johto (Gen. II) - C+
Hoenn (Gen. III) - A-
Sinnoh (Gen. IV) - B+
Unova (Gen. V.) - B

My overall rankings (Top-Bottom):
1st place: Gen. I
2nd place: Gen. III
3rd place: Gen. IV
4th place: Gen. V
last place: Gen. II

Call me biased, but there are COUNTLESS reasons that I can explain why Gen. I will always be my favorite! With Gen. II being my least favorite, don't get the wrong idea! I LOVED the G/S/C games and found it better than R/G/B/Y but I didn't really like Pokémon in this gen. and the starters in my opinion were the weakest! But overall I don't really hate anything and I LOVE ALL REGIONS IN THEIR OWN SPECIAL WAY! This is just how I rank 'em :3

So what are your ratings? Think about everything before you post :)
Just to get your best and honest opinions!

*BONUS QUESTION*

Do you think the Kalos region (Gen. VI) will live up to the hype?
And do you think it will be any better than any specific gen. you have in mind?

Last edited:

PegasusxSeiya

Shiny Hunter
Gen I: A
Gen II: A+
Gen III: B
Gen IV: C-
Gen V: C for B/W, B- for B2/W2
~~
1. Gen II
2. Gen I
3. Gen III
4. Gen V
5. Gen IV

G/S/C wins overall for me, but R/B/Y is very close behind and wins in terms of starters over G/S/C. It's very hard to choose between the two, I love the playthrough of Gen I better probably? At least over the beginnings of G/S/C, but getting to train and battle through both regions makes it for me. For the Pokemon I love Gen I the best. It's extremely difficult to pick, but as said, because Gen II plays through both Johto and Kanto it takes a small step ahead.

feliciagjm

Awesome!
I'm copying your layout :p Easier. I'm pretty easy to please, I guess.

Kanto (Gen. I) - A
Johto (Gen. II) - A+
Hoenn (Gen. III) - A-
Sinnoh (Gen. IV) - A (gave me lucario <3)
Unova (Gen. V.) - B-

1st place: Gen. 2
2nd place: Gen. 1
3rd place: Gen. 4
4th place: Gen. 3
last place: Gen. 5

I know I place Unova in dead last. But I still enjoyed Black/White and B2/W2. I have multiple copies of each game (from red to white 2). So it's hard for me to choose :p I liked Johto the best just because it gave me the best of both worlds. Something new, and a bit of nostalgia. I still chuckle at that one Team Rocket member (hyuck-hyuck-hyuck) everytime I do the radio tower :p Good memories!

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
So, um, yeah.

Gen I: E (it looks the worst, and didn't introduce any of my favorite Pokémon, besides Caterpie, who nearly everybody loves anyway)
Gen II: C (it was okay)
Gen III: A+ (my god, this was nigh-perfect)
Gen IV: A++ (best. Thing. Ever)
Gen V BW: D (there's just... Soemthing abut this that I don't like)
Gen V B2W2: B (IMO vastly different. Also loved the music and other trivial things more than BW)

1st place: Gen IV
2nd place: Gen III
3rd place: B2W2
4th place: Gen II
5th place: BW
6th place: Gen I

But, yeah, IMO Gen III and IV were at the peak of their game.

Nothing touches them.

Also, yeah, Kalos will probs live up to the hype.

I already know it'll be better than Gen I, II, and BW.

NekuTheNuzlocke

Kanto - B+
Johto - N/A
Hoenn - A
Sinnoh - C+
Unova - A+

1st place: Unova
2nd place: Hoenn
3rd place: Kanto
last place: Sinnoh

I still have yet to play one of the Johto games, so I can't really rank it. As for my rankings themselves, I count FireRed (my first Pokemon game) as Gen I, but if it doesn't count, then I base my decisions off of Pokemon Yellow, which I enjoyed just as much.

As for Hoenn, Sapphire was my second Pokemon game, and I enjoyed it so much more than FireRed. It just felt like it had more to offer, and I fell in love with most of the Pokemon moreso than Gen. I's Pokemon.

Sinnoh is actually what turned me off of the series for so long. I still realy love that Infernape I raised from a mere Chimchar, but man oh man did I think it was a huge downgrade from Sapphire and FireRed. There were better graphics, and I liked how they mapped the dual screen capabilities, but I didn't care much for the Generation because I felt like there wasn't much to do and none of the Pokemon were very memorable for me.

White is what brought me back into the series when I picked it up this year before I heard about X and Y, and it blew me away much more than any of the other installments in the series. Tepig will probably always be my favorite Pokemon, and Zekrom is by far my favorite legendary, but overall the atmosphere really hooked me. Not to mention the change in how the story ran, the way the Gyms felt more than just a simple Gym battle that you move on from, etc. Even though there wasn't a whole lot to do post-game, I still think it's my favorite entry into the series.

PokemonJesus123

The Pokémon Punk
I just wanna clarify again with this (not that I'm mad or anything :) )

"Take regard to ALL of the gen. related things that correspond to that region from Pokémon design, types, places, to games, story, to anime, to manga, merchandise etc. EVERYTHING IN GENERAL!"

So don't just take the games to your judgement UNLESS the games are the only things you like about/do with Pokémon...I guess I'm cool with that! :D

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
First: Gen I A
Second: Gen IV A
Third/Fourth: Gen III B
Third/Fourth: Gen II B
Fifth: Gen V C-

Vikings

Oracle
Gen I - B+
Gen II - A
Gen III - B
Gen IV - B+
Gen V - B-

1st: Gen 2
2nd: Gen 1
3rd: Gen 4
4th: Gen 3
5th: Gen 5

1Zekrom

#1 fan & collector
Gen1- A+
Gen2- A+
Gen3- A
Gen4- B
Gen5- A
Gen6- ???

1st- Gen5 (best pokemon introduced)
2nd- Gen2 (awesome pokemon/story)
3rd- Gen1 (Started it all)
4th- Gen3
5th/ Gen4

Floette

Fennekin
In order of favorite to least favorite:

Hoenn
Johto
Kanto
Unova
Sinnoh

Kalos looks fantastic though, and could end up my 2nd favorite. But Hoenn will always reign in my heart.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
Gen I: A-
Gen II: B+
Gen III: A+ (Perfect!)
Gen IV: B+
Gen V: B-

Gen 3 for me is perfect - it was my favourite generation as it added new features while keeping traditional values, the games were great and the Pokemon were awesome.

Gen 1 is second for me because it deserves the credit: The games are hat created the great franchise we have today and set the standards, everything was unique as well. In addition to the person who gave it E, you must give it credit as the games were far ahead of time when they were made.

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere
Kanto (Gen. I) - B
Johto (Gen. II) - A+
Hoenn (Gen. III) - B-
Sinnoh (Gen. IV) - B+
Unova (Gen. V.) - A

1st place: Generation II
2nd place: Generation V
3rd place: Generation IV
4th place: Generation I
Last place: Generation III

This is actually quite the hard decision for me. I believe I enjoyed Generation IV and V quite similarly, but I go with Generation V because I feel like it was fresh. I loved how B/W made us use different Pokemon than normal, and they were great games in the series aside from that.

Really the only thing I can say for sure is that I'd have Generation III in last place. R/S/E were such disappointing games.

Last edited:

Xerneltal

Sonic aficionado
To be honest, if you reversed the order of each of the generations, it would be the order of how much I like them. Observe:

1. Unova
2. Sinnoh
3. Hoenn
4. Johto
5. Kanto

And, it seems Kalos is starting to beat Unova. Thus the pattern continues of me liking each new generation better than the last.

Don't judge me. .w.

Last edited:

sunny phoenix

Kanto (Gen. I) - B
Johto (Gen. II) - A
Hoenn (Gen. III) - B+
Sinnoh (Gen. IV) - C
Unova (Gen. V.) - F

1st place: Gen. III
2nd place: Gen. II
3rd place: Gen. I
4th place: Gen. IV
last place: Gen. V

I know i gave Johto a better rating than Hoenn but i placed the later 1st in my preferences.... The fact is i loved Hoenn as a region, IMO the best one.... but i like more fen I,II pokemon designs than gen III. so i place hoenn first cause i enjoy so much playing it but it also includes pokemon of previous gen so i count them when i rate which gen is more fun to play but when i have to rate the gen for what it is and what it introduced i hace to exclude the previous gen pkmn it had. I place unova as dead last cause i didnt like it at all , it was also the only gen i played so few times because i could find pkmn to fill a team (yeap i like really few of them) not to mention the pixelization of the sprites was so unappealing to me....Sinnoh was ok it had a hoenn vibe (region wise) but it also had some really negative things like only 2 fire types lines (one of them was previous gen), and the also made for first time a fire elite 4 in this gen??!! that was so stupid imo... u had to use HM very often... etc etc.

I also have to mention, that as gens goes i am more and more strict and i dont easily excuse mistakes (for examble hoenn also had the same problem of E4 pokemon distribution, but i am more judgemental in gen 4 cause it should be better than the previous one, they should fix mistakes of the past).. ...

i was very excited of gen 6 but the weird distribution of megas and the small number of pkmn may hurt my final rating for this gen (also the starters evos were also dissapointing) but i am still excited for it and i think i am gonna like it a lot.... if i dont play it i cant really judge it yet.... cross fingers its gonna be one of the best

Chimungus

1. Gen III A+
2. Gen IV A
3. Gen V A-
4. Gen II C
5. Gen I D

The Hoenn games were the first Pokemon games I ever had (my first was Ruby. I'm so sad I don't have either Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald anymore!), and though I'm extremely nostalgic, I do think it introduced the best Pokemon designs out of all generations. Coming in second Sinnoh definitely had the best human designs and implemented many characteristics which made the games easier and more interesting. Black 2 is the best game I've played, and I do like a lot of Unova Pokemon. I really like Heartgold, but other than that I don't care much about gen II. And I really am not interested in Kanto or Gen I.

Last edited:

Sarefan

Hylden General.
  1. Hoenn: Best Region so far.
  2. Kanto: Nostalgia feels
  3. Platinum: Best story
  4. Unova: Because it is better than Johto.
  5. Johto: Was a pain to train your pokémon. I mean, lvl 20 pokémon in the region of the 8th gym. Seriously??

Masterofknees

1. Red/Blue/Yellow
2. Black/White
3. Gold/Silver/Crystal
4. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
5. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

For me it's incredibly hard to rate the generations, because they each excel at different things. 3rd Generation for example has my all-time favorite Pokémon designs, but I think Hoenn is beyond rubbish as a region. 2nd Generation has probably my favorite piece of content and region, but has some rubbish Pokémon designs. I think 1st Generation is the one which excels best at all the things, with 5th Generation right behind it. The only thing I'll always be sure of is that 4th Generation will probably always be furthest behind, simply because I didn't like anything in it.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
I'm going to rate the Pokemon and actual games separately. The Pokemon ratings will also include Kalos, because I've seen the Pokemon for them.

Pokemon-wise:

1. Unova
2. Hoenn
3. Johto
4. Sinnoh
5. Kalos
6. Kanto

Oddly enough, my favourite Pokemon is not Unovian, but Hoennese (Jirachi). Unova, though, to me had just really good standard Pokemon designs and starters and Legendaries both had the right 'grand' feel to them, as did Hoenn and Johto but both to lesser extents. Sinnonian Pokemon were decent, but a lot of them, being evolutions, relied on the quality of older gens. Kalos is very hit and miss for me. Kanto is the same - its plainer, more realistic look, however, means that few Kantese Pokemon have really caught my interest.

Games in terms of content:

1. Johto
2. Unova
3. Sinnoh
4. Kanto
5. Hoenn

I'm cheating here; Johto wins because it comes with Kanto as well. Even then, rechallenging Gym Leaders and the Pokeathlon were great as well. Unova got really good with Black 2 and all its content such as the World Tournament. Sinnoh didn't have loads, but the Battle Tower and Pokeradar were enough for me. I don't remember much of FireRed and Sapphire (only playing them to catch Pokemon to transfer), but they didn't seem to have an awful lot either - Sevii Islands give Kanto the edge, though.

Games in terms of characters:

1. Unova
2. Sinnoh
3. Kanto
4. Johto
5. Hoenn

Team Plasma may not have been fully used (I'd like to see their side torn apart properly!) but were a pretty cool team concept (not in Black 2, though) and it has my favourite rivals and Gym Leaders. The Kanto leaders aren't far off, though, and Sinnoh had both a decent evil team and set of Gym Leaders (as well as a cool Champion). Johto's rival and Gym Leaders were pretty good but nothing amazing. How n's just seemed mainly forgettable to me - Wally was cool but in practice didn't do much.

Overall:

1. Unova
2. Johto
3. Sinnoh
4. Hoenn
5. Kanto

...So the more recent games are higher, generally. I'm not surprised - I guess I mainly forgot the older ones, and the newer ones generally have more content to interest me. The ratings were generally the same around the board. I wonder how Kalos (excluding Pokemon) will rate in a month or so's time?

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
1. Gens 1, 2, and 5
2. Gen 3
3. Gen 4

Hoenn is the worst region, but DP were so awful that I can't actually give Gen 3 the lowest rank. The pacing just grates.