• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rate the companions' pokemon (in terms of Power/Battle viability)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
A while back there was a discussion in the VS thread about some of the top pokemon belonging to companions, and I found it pretty interesting, so why not make a thread about it? Put whatever kind of ranking you think works better for this (tiers, >< comparisons, etc). I'm currently not sure about most, except that Dragonite, Brock and Misty's Megas, Luxray, and Blaziken are among the top ones (I'll wait until Gladion beats Kiawe to see if his mons also belong here), while Snowy and Azurril are among the bottom ones

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Strength wise, the Top 5 are:

1) May's Blaziken

2) Brock's Mega Steelix

3) Misty's Mega Gyarados

4) Iris's Dragonite

5) Clemont's Luxray

Some other honourable mentions here would be Brock's Croagunk (who had a feat of beating Saturn's beast of a Toxicroak), Iris's Excadrill, Dawn's Mamoswine and Cilan's Crustle.

Blaziken is the strongest amongst all of the companion Pokemon because of its feat of going toe to toe with Ash's BF Sceptile, yep it was a contest battle were Ash had a few adjusting issues how to adapt with contest style of battling, but that fact that Blaziken could push Sceptile enough to activate Overgrow is a feat that is quite a impressive feat itself considering all that.

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
1 Brock's MS
2 Iris Dragonite
3 Misty MG
4 May Blaziken
5 Clemont Luxay
6 Dawn Mamoswine

Honorable mentions iris excadrill, cilan crustle and clemont heliolisk.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
1. Brock's Steelix
2. May's Blaziken
3. Misty's Gyarados
4. Dawn's Mamoswine
5. Kiawe's Turtonator/Marowak
6. Iris' Dragonite
7. Cilan's Crustle
8. Sophocles' Vikavolt
9. Mallow's Tsareena/Clemont's Luxray
10. Lana's Primarina/Serena's Braixen
11. Lillie's Shiron

Genaller

Silver Soul
So can anyone who’s putting Mega Gyarados and/or Mega Steelix over Iris’s Dragonite explain to me what they’ve done that’s better than Dragonite toying with Dawn’s Mamoswine (that had previously tied with Ash’s Pignite who by this point had feats like beating an Emboar + Heatmor at the same time, not to mention wins in GYMs 7 and 8), no selling its quad effective attacks and OHKing it with the first move it used? Oh and don’t give me Dragonite lost to X, Y, Z since Mega Steelix and Mega Gyarados also haven’t done jack to prove they could do any better. Sorry but beating a pokémon as weak as Kiawe’s Turtonator was (relative to Mamoswine anyways) at that point and losing to Pikachu whilst barely getting any damage in respectively doesn’t cut it. Honestly I’m not even sure they’re better than late XY Clemont’s Luxray who could spar competitively with Ash’s Base Greninja (in XY&Z 23) and end of region Pikachu (in movie 19).

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
When taking into account all the aces of the companions:

1. May's Blaziken
2. Iris's Dragonite
3. Clemont's Luxray/Brock's Mega Steelix
4. Dawn's Mamoswine
5. Misty's Mega Gyarados
6. Cilan’s Crustle
7. Lana's Primarina/Tracy's Scyther
8. Serena's Braixen
9. Mallow's Tsareena
10. Lillie's Vulpix

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Hmm, now that I think of it, Dragonite perhaps could be even below Luxray, considering its loss to Clair's relatively inexperienced and newly captured Shiny Druddigon (the Clair episode happened pretty much very late in BW) which had several issues of its own, especially with Outrage, as shown in its capture episode......heck it was even struggling as hell against Jessie's Frillish and James's Amoonguss prior to activating Outrage. I would assume that it perhaps got better Clair's training by the time it battled Dragonite, but I highly doubt that it got all that much better in the meantime, considering it was still obviously a new capture.

But well....Dragonite was dominating Ash's Krookorok (who did really well against Brycen) before the mid-battle evolution happened and then Krookodile outclassed it, so....yeah I'm giving it a pass and putting it at #4.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Sorry, but if these Pokemon are apparently stronger than Iris's Excadrill or Brock's Croagunk, then....

PVlXKM6.gif

But I assume that you're joking there, so fine I guess. :p

That gif is clearly meant for your reading comprehension (or rather lack of it). I clearly said 'taking into account the aces of the companions', so I was ranking only the aces of the companions from strongest to weakest, not all the Pokémon of the companions in an overall top 5, cause then surely Excadrill, Bunnelby, Croagunk, etc would've made it over the the bolded Pokemon.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
That gif is clearly meant for your reading comprehension (or rather lack of it). I clearly said 'taking into account the aces of the companions', so I was ranking only the aces of the companions from strongest to weakest, not all the Pokémon of the companions in an overall top 5, cause then surely Excadrill, Bunnelby, Croagunk, etc would've made it over the the bolded Pokemon.
Well this thread is for ranking all companion Pokemon, not only the aces, so I didn't quite notice it at first or comprehend that you'd rank it that way. NVM I just added that gif just for fun anyway, not for mockery or anything like that......cause I thought myself actually thought that you were perhaps joking there. :p

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Why is Dragonite considered Iris’ ace, wouldn’t it be Excadrill?

No i would say dragonite though excadrill is also tough, but dragontie took its place after it was caught especially the way it destroyed ice types like mamoswine and beartic.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
1. Brock's Steelix
2. Misty's Gyarados
3. May's Blaziken
4. Gladion's Silvally
5. Iris's Dragonite

Probably will change it when I finally get to see the rest of the SM series, but for now this is my list. Might change it though later soon, I think I may have ranked Iris's Dragonite too high based on it's power alone over it's battle viability.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Welcome to another edition of here’s what bad reasoning looks like and here’s how to refute it. The purpose of this post is not for discussion, but to illustrate the folly in reasoning presented for the sake of the sppf community.

Hmm, now that I think of it, Dragonite perhaps could be even below Luxray, considering its loss to Clair's relatively inexperienced and newly captured Shiny Druddigon (the Clair episode happened pretty much very late in BW) which had several issues of its own, especially with Outrage, as shown in its capture episode......heck it was even struggling as hell against Jessie's Frillish and James's Amoonguss prior to activating Outrage.
First this individual is trying to claim that Druddigon is inherently capped due to struggling against TRio pokémon without accounting for it not being under the command of a trainer which is important because Aaron’s Drapion got owned by a TRio Pokémon when not under the command of his trainer, and Drapion by definition is a high calibre pokémon belonging to a member of the E4. The general point here is that TRio battle feats are inadmissible as a reliable gauge of a pokémon’s battle viability especially when the pokémon in question isn’t being commanded by a traienr at that time.

I would assume that it perhaps got better Clair's training by the time it battled Dragonite, but I highly doubt that it got all that much better in the meantime, considering it was still obviously a new capture.
This individual also seems to have forgotten that Ash’s Torkoal went from a borderline fodder pokémon as of Hoenn League to giving Brandon’s Registeel a competitive fight in late BF. The point here is that the anime has always been inconsistent with regards to the growth rate of pokémon (to be specific anime pokémon have a non-linear growth rate and there can be high variability from pokémon to pokémon). Now assuming Druddigon was relatively weak (which is not necessarily true as I showed above), I’ve shown that it is still plausible for Druddigon to have gotten sufficiently stronger to do what it did against Dragonite whilst maintaining consistency with Dragonite’s performance against Mamoswine whereas what this individual is trying to insinuate would directly contradict Dragonite’s performance against Dawn’s Mamoswine, hence my reasoning is objectively superior.

But well....Dragonite was dominating Ash's Krookorok (who did really well against Brycen) before the mid-battle evolution happened and then Krookodile outclassed it, so....yeah I'm giving it a pass and putting it at #4.
And finally we have this individual committing a logical fallacy where he acts as if he’s being generous with his placement, but in truth is avoiding justification of the core matter at hand which is that Mega Steelix and Mega Gyarados haven’t done jack to justify them being placed above Dragonite in terms of feats including dominating Mamoswine the way Dragonite did or even faring any better against any of the pokémon Dragonite was outclassed by. Furthermore he does nothing to justify why his cited example of Dragonite’s dominance against Krokorok has enough merit to place him at 4th but no higher.

That’s all for now ^_^.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
When taking into account all the aces of the companions:

1. May's Blaziken
2. Iris's Dragonite
3. Clemont's Luxray/Brock's Mega Steelix
4. Dawn's Mamoswine
5. Misty's Mega Gyarados
6. Cilan’s Crustle
7. Lana's Primarina/Tracy's Scyther
8. Serena's Braixen
9. Mallow's Tsareena
10. Lillie's Vulpix
What about Sophocles' Vikavolt?

MockingJ

Banned
Ranking just the aces:

1. May's Blaziken
2. Iris's Excadrill
3. Brock's Steelix
4. Dawn's Mamoswine
5. Misty's Gyarados/Clemont's Luxray
6. Lana's Primarina
7. Tracey's Scyther
8. Cilan's Crustle
9. Serena's Braixen
10. Mallow's Tsareena
11. Lillie's Vulpix

DatsRight

First this individual is trying to claim that Druddigon is inherently capped due to struggling against TRio pokémon without accounting for it not being under the command of a trainer which is important because Aaron’s Drapion got owned by a TRio Pokémon when not under the command of his trainer, and Drapion by definition is a high calibre pokémon belonging to a member of the E4. The general point here is that TRio battle feats are inadmissible as a reliable gauge of a pokémon’s battle viability especially when the pokémon in question isn’t being commanded by a traienr at that time.

This is generally why most TR battles have simply stopped being a good testament of a protagonist's competence since most of their battles are completely arbitrary, going from jobbers to menaces with plot armour heavily against them. I mean we could debunk Ash and Dawn's powerhouses in DP for the fact they gotten beaten down by a livened up Meowth for the sake of a gag.

SM practically admitted this by having some of the trainers who curb stomped TR for their sole experience get utterly crushed in the league.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
As of SM136, I'd say the rankings of the aces are like this:
1. Kiawe's Turtonator (w/Firium-z)
2. May's Blaziken
3. Iris's Dragonite
4. Kiawe's Turtonator (no Z-move)
5. Brock's Mega Steelix
6. Misty's Mega Gyarados/Clemont's Luxray
7. Dawn's Mamoswine
8. Lana's Primarina
9. Cilan's Crustle/Sophocles' Vikavolt
10. Tracey's Scyther
11. Serena's Braixen/Mallow's Tsareena
13. Lillie's Vulpix

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Top 5:

1. Bonnie/Squishy
2. Brock/Mega Steelix
3. Misty/Mega Gyarados
4. Iris/Dragonite
5. May/Blaziken

Bottom 5 (descending order of usefulness):
5. Lillie/Shiron
4. Misty/Goldeen (did this one ever do anything useful?)
3. Bonnie/Dedenne
2. Mallow/Shaymin
1. Misty/Azurill (even Togepi did more than this one)