• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rate the Historical Quote

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Rules are simple.
  • Rate the quote of a number out of 10.
  • Express why you rated it that way.
  • Then insert a quote for the next person to rate.
  • Make sure to tell who said the quote and of course, it should be a non-fictional person from history.

"The general killed the Viet Cong; I killed the general with my camera. Still photographs are the most powerful weapon in the world. People believe them, but photographs do lie, even without manipulation. They are only half-truths. What the photograph didn't say was, 'What would you do if you were the general at that time and place on that hot day, and you caught the so-called bad guy after he blew away one, two or three American soldiers'?" - Eddie Adams, a photographer expressing regret for taking the infamous "Execution of Nguyễn Văn Lém" photo.

The story behind the photo is pretty depressing. Even more depressing when people jump to conclusions and don't ask why it happened. Sometimes they do ask and you give an answer, they start asking if this is actually fact or not. They go into denial when you tell them about the testimony from Eddie Adams and the one survivor from the killings that "civilian" started. I suppose it's understandable. For some people, this photo empowered an anti-war movement, some noble ideals to what people believe to be for a great cause. When you tell them the truth conflicts with those ideals, well I suppose it's understandable if they need time to process it. After all, once you learn the truth, you can no longer see the photo the same way as before.

It seems like a interesting quote. I give a 7/10

Now for the one I will choose

"Nuts!" - General Anthony McAuliffe

The story behind this quote is during the Battle of the Bulge, German forces had completely surrounded the 101st Airborne Division who were defending Bastogne. At one point the German commander sent an ultimatum to General McAuliffe to surrender or face total annihilation. Nuts was General McAuliffe's reply.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
6/10 Funny but without hearing the backstory it sort of sounds like a fake quote.

A scientist in his laboratory is not a mere technician: he is also a child confronting natural phenomena that impress him as though they were fairy tales.
~Marie Curie

shoz999

8/10 Sounds like a good summary of the scientific method, but more perfectly the summary of one's curiosity. Not just scientists, but in-general anyone who observes and learn.

He who does reverence to his own sect, while disparaging the sects of others with intent to enhance the glory of his own sect, by such conduct inflicts the severest injury on his own sect. - Ashoka the Great.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
i get that reference 7/10

"A small step for me, a giant leap for mankind!"

- Some Chad on a planet

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
10/10 - In the words of Walter Cronkite "Oh boy! Boy oh boy! Well! Wow. This is Wow..." Or something like that. :)

After he had time to prepare, he said this: "The date's now indelible. It's going to be remembered as long as man survives — July 20, 1969 — the day a man reached and walked on the moon. The least of us is improved by the things done by the best of us. Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins are the best of us, and they've led us further and higher than we ever imagined we were likely to go."

Rate that, please.

shoz999

10/10 Definitely sounds like space travel in it's early stages considering how far it's come now and yet we're still not quite there yet. Back than, it must've sounded like an impossible dream come true.

“A wise ruler should not neglect minority opinions and give a careful hearing. Nevertheless, it would be foolish for a monarch to make decisions based on a single person’s opinion.” - Sejong the Great.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
10/10 - Wise words

" Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal." -Abraham Lincoln