• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rate this (probably bad) Rain Team

I created this Rain team off the fly, lemme know what adjustments I might want to add

Zapdos @ Choice Specs
Ability: Static
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moves:
Discharge
Hurricane
Heat Wave
Volt Switch

Manectric @ Magnet
Ability: Lightning Rod
Nature: Timid
Moves:
Thunder
Flamethrower
Volt Switch
Roar

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 SpD, 252 HP, 4 SpA
Moves:
Scald
Encore
Perish Song
Protect

Whiscash @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moves:
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Liquidation
Stone Edge

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Moves:
Detect
Thunder
Shadow Ball
Volt Switch

Kabutops @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 SpD, 4 Attack
Moves:
Liquidation
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
X-Scissor

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
You really need to give more information, like which generation, which format, why you chose these pokémon, why fire moves in a rain team, and so on.

Well, Sword and Shield first off (the new ranked battles), secondly, I wanted to do some Discharge Zapdos shenanigans with Volt Absorb Life Orb, Lightning Rod Special Attacker, and a Water/Ground Earthquake mon with an ability that deals with rain, thirdly, Venusaur coverage and for when I don't have rain up

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Alright. I'm by no means an expert on Sword and Shield, I don't even own the game, but there are some things I can give you.

1) Test your team and try it out yourself. If you fear losing ranking, go to the free battle stadium. And don't be afraid to lose. Losing is part of getting better.

2) I think you're relying a bit on two different things, the Discharge + ability combos and rain. While that isn't inherently a bad thing, the two don't fully coincide to strengthen one another. Discharge doesn't benefit from the rain. I'm also a bit sceptical as to how you get that running. You rely on rain to be out for Thunder, so Politoed has to be in first, and then your Electric pokémon both have to be on the field later, but I don't see anything supporting that switch to happen. This is something you could find out through testing whether you can get away with it or not.

3) When you're running combos between multiple pokémon in doubles, aside from how easy you can get it running, a big factor is coverage. Can you face a wide variety of foes, or are there significant pokémon that your two pokémon on the field don't have an answer to. If you're running Discharge together with either Manectric or Jolteon, I think a pokémon like Rhyperior can just wall you right there and force you to regroup. Perhaps running something like Weather Ball on Zapdos could solve that, it turns into a water move under rain.

4) I think Gastrodon can prove to be very problematic against you, I don't see any answers on your team to it. You rely mainly on Electric and Water damage, and Gastrodon is immune to both while having Earth Power to cover Jolteon and Manectric. You could run something with Grass coverage like Lawnmower Rotom or something with Freeze Dry, like Lapras, to cover it. I think Gyarados now also gets Power Whip, that's also an option.

Alright, I'll see what I could do about those

I also found out I kinda get walled by Garchomp + Grass-type combo so... (Which is also what those Fire Moves are for, Grass in general)

Welp, I've modified the team a little, here is what it is now:

Zapdos @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Static
Nature: Modest
Moves:
Discharge
Hurricane
Rain Dance
Weather Ball

Manectric @ Magnet
Ability: Lightning Rod
Moves:
Thunder
Flamethrower
Snarl
Roar

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 SpD, 252 HP, 4 SpA
Moves:
Scald
Encore
Ice Beam
Protect

Cradily @ Cell Battery
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 SpD, 4 Speed
Moves:
Power Whip
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Stealth Rock

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Moves:
Detect
Thunder
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt

Kingdra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
Moves:
Surf
Hydro Pump
Dragon Pulse
Hurricane

Why are you using a fire move in a rain team?
Sun team checks, mostly Venusaur

Also, I don't have to have rain up all the time...