• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rate Your Nicknames!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marto_motoko

Steel Trainer
Mine work in themes.

Since I had an in-game team of Kecleons, their names were based on the three that I made.

Kecleon 1 - Thermo
Kecleon 2 - Optic
Kecleon 3 - Camouflage

It was the basic sci-fi term for thermo-optic camouflage which is a suit that grants invisibility.

Otherwise some of my other names.

Solrock - Helios - god of sun
Aggron - Zhang Zhung - a valley in China where Iron was discovered
Sceptile - Senryutou - the green blade that slew a famous Jade dragon
Spinda - HongXongMao - literally translates to Red Bear Cat (chinese for Red Panda)
Jirachi - Satetsu - means Iron Sand, the sand coming from the meteor that it resembled in the movie and its association with a lucky star, and the tradition of Stardust being carried for good luck by several cultures.
Shiftry - Tengoyume - mix of Tengu and the word for dream in Japanese since Tengu demons were often a subject to inspire fear in children as form of a threat when they needed to behave otherwise Tengu would take them away.

So what do you guys think? Decent nicknames?

dark_sinister

Palkia - Iuppiter/Zeus - god of space
Kyogre - Neptunus - god of the seven oceans
Groudon - Vulcanus - god of fire and volcanoes

Some other nicknames from gods. I don't they're great, except Kyogre's nickname, but the gods are kind of similar to the pokemons I called.

Snicker

The Grinning One
>_> Everyone seems to be posting their nicks, but nearly no one's rating.

Okay! I'll do the above several users! :D /but be warned that I'm picky and fussy/

dark_sinister

Palkia - Iuppiter/Zeus ~ 7 for Iuppiter and a weak 4 for Zeus. Iuppiter is okay, but I just don't see how Zeus has ANYTHING to do with this particular pokemon, sorry. :-/

Kyogre - Neptunus ~ I give it a 6. It's a good name, but you just took an already existing name and added an -us to it. ^^

Groudon - Vulcanus ~ Same commend as above, but the grade is 7 since it kinda really, really fits Groudon for some reason. ^^

marto_motoko

Aaah, nothing beats three Kecleons. xD Seriously. xD

Kecleon 1 - Thermo ~ 6.
Kecleon 2 - Optic ~ 5.
Kecleon 3 - Camouflage ~ 4.

^Thermo and Optic are kind of original, but they don't sound like catchy nicknames. (to me, at least) Camouflage is a little predictable for Kecly. ^^ Maybe if you played around with the word some more.

Solrock - Helios - god of sun ~ 8. Though predictable, it is a really, really suitable name for Solrock and I kinda have a softspot for it, thus the high grade. xD

Aggron - Zhang Zhung - a valley in China where Iron was discovered ~ 9. I like it. It's original and exotic and yet it doesn't clash with the pokemon's 'feel' AND it's got the whole Iron thing going for it. Nice job! :D

Sceptile - Senryutou - the green blade that slew a famous Jade dragon ~6. But just because I can't figure out how to pronounce it. xD However, the meaning is cool and suitable.

Spinda - HongXongMao - literally translates to Red Bear Cat (chinese for Red Panda) ~ 7. A bit elaborate for a Spinda, but I can see it being cute if you cut it down to XongMao or just Mao. /if you don't mind the loss in meaning, though I guess I'd still have meaning to YOU and that's all that matter. ^^

Jirachi - Satetsu - means Iron Sand, the sand coming from the meteor that it resembled in the movie and its association with a lucky star, and the tradition of Stardust being carried for good luck by several cultures. ~8. Ah, I like this. ^^ For more or less the same reason I liked Zhang Zhung. It's not complicated, it suits Jira since it has that 'Japanese' feel even more than most pokemon and the meaning fits as well. Nice job, again. ^^

Shiftry - Tengoyume - mix of Tengu and the word for dream in Japanese since Tengu demons were often a subject to inspire fear in children as form of a threat when they needed to behave otherwise Tengu would take them away. ~6. The meaning fits, but the nickname itself feels a little impersonal.

Joanie

Misdreavus (female): Missy. Cliche, I know. ~6. Yup. ^^

Mismagius (Female): Maggie. Again, easy to see where that one came from. ~6. Same as above.

Ampharos: (Female. I seem to have a lot of females): Amber. It's A: A good female name and B: I'm fairly sure that the ball on Ampharos' tail is supposed to be amber. The Greek word for amber was elektron, and I'm sure you can guess which modern words derive from that. Also, rub amber against wool and you get static electricity. Lots of it. ~7. I'm with you on that one. /man, you're doing a good job grading yourself. xD/ The only reason it's not an 8 is my personal feeling that Ampharos just doesn't LOOK like an Amber. xD But that's totally subjective, so feel free to count the rating as 8 if you want.

Wormadam (Female, Sand cloak): Terra. It's the ground-type one, terra/earth ... yeah. Also, the sound of it fits in with the other two. ~6. Okay, but not too exciting.

Wormadam (Plant cloak): Flora. Again, grass-type, plant/flora.~6. Same thing, pretty much.

Wormadam (Trash cloak): Metalia. Again, rather obvious. ~7. Obvious, but I like it. It sounds kind of powerful. ^^

Phew...I'm beat... _._

Last edited:

dark_sinister

>_> Everyone seems to be posting their nicks, but nearly no one's rating.
~ 7 for Iuppiter and a weak 4 for Zeus. Iuppiter is okay, but I just don't see how Zeus has ANYTHING to do with this particular pokemon, sorry. :-/

Zeus is Iuppiter^^
Zeus is the ancient greeks name
Iuppiter is the roman name

Two names but the same god:p

Snicker

The Grinning One
Zeus is Iuppiter^^
Zeus is the ancient greeks name
Iuppiter is the roman name

Two names but the same god:p

Um... ^-^'''' I hate to go off topic, but they are not the same God. They are counterparts, there's a difference. Zeus is the god of Thunder and Iuppiter /though I know him as Jupiter/ is the master of heaven in the Roman Pantheon, no link to thunder, nor to Zeus' personality. They just hold the same hierarchial positions in both pantheons. ^^

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Wow, never thought so many people nicknamed their Pokemon! I love nicknaming. It's more personal, like 'Petal' instead of just plain old 'Bellossom'. My legendaries aren't 'nicknamed' as such, just called their species in lower caps. Here's some of the more normal ones, however:

Female Empoleon: Mumble
Male Blaziken: Phoenix
Female Venusaur: Holly
Male Ampharos: Take That
Female Froslass: Sasumi
Female Togekiss: Jojo
Male Chimecho: Breezy
Male Spinda: Dizzy
Female Altaria: Cirrus
Female Salamence: Hope
Female Bellossom: Petal
Porygon-Z: Glitchy Jr
Male Cradily: Tangles
Male Tangrowth: Ramen
Female Magcargo: Paulette
Female Lumineon: Neona
Male Wailord: Tiny
Female Aggron: Stella
Female Jumpluff: Pippin
Female Banette: Marie
Male Mothim: Max
Female Butterfree: Christine
Female Drifblim: Puffy
Male Flygon: Oasis
Female Pachirisu: Peanut
Male Swalot: Bob
Female Crobat: Fang

Might do my shiny Pokemon later, or some rating. Speaking of which, not much rating is going on here.

This is the third time I've posted this. I'm sorry, but can someone rate my nicknames please?

Snicker

The Grinning One
This is the third time I've posted this. I'm sorry, but can someone rate my nicknames please?

I'll do it. ^^ I got tired earlier, but then - I had a NAP. xD

Plus, it's not like...I have anything better to do... /is sick and in bed >_>/ *sniffle*

Okay...

Female Empoleon: Mumble ~9. Happy Feet reference! Happy Feet refernece! Yaaaay! x3 I just love that movie! Plus, it's SUPER cute for a girl pokemon. ^0^

Male Blaziken: Phoenix ~7. It's kinda predictable, but seven's a HIGH grade when it comes from me. ^-^''' In any case, the reason it's high is because I'm now imagining your Blaziken poining at stuff and going BLAZI-KEN!!! (trans. OBJECTION! xD) And that just rocks.

Female Venusaur: Holly ~6. It's the "golden middle". Mainly because I can't think of a reason why it should be either higher or lower than that. ^^ Still - cute. ^0^

Male Ampharos: Take That ~7. I'm begining to think...that you play Ace Attorney games. XD I have an incredible soft spot for AceAttorney games. xD

Female Froslass: Sasumi ~8. It's cute, it's suitable and it makes me think of that lawyer joke. Hear about the new sushi bar that caters exclusively to lawyers? It's called, Sosumi. xD

Female Togekiss: Jojo ~7. Cute. Very, very cute. And suitable. Not much more I can think of there. ^-^

Male Chimecho: Breezy ~9. This is uncanny. I had a Chimecho named Breezy. D: Well, Breezie, but it's there. Of course, you get a high grade for that. xD

Male Spinda: Dizzy ~8. Predictable, yet cute. And, let's face it. We've ALL trained a Spinda named 'Dizzy' at some point of our lives...and if we haven't...we WILL. ^^

Female Altaria: Cirrus ~6. Sadly, I have never heard of this name, so you get 'the golden middle' again. :< The name on it's own is nice enough, though.

Female Salamence: Hope ~6. That's kind of...serene and gentle for a Salamence. In my head, Salamences were always raging powerhouses. xD Still, nothing wrong with the name itself. It might work better for your Altaria, though. ^^

Female Bellossom: Petal ~7. Heeehe, cute. ^-^ Some might claim it's unoriginal for a Bellossom, but not me ~ you get 'PLENTY' of originality points for just having the guts to train one of those. Everyone seem to go for Vileplum, sadly. :<

Porygon-Z: Glitchy Jr ~8. That's actually...really cute and unique. ^o^ I seem to be using the word 'cute' for your nicks a lot, but they ARE. ^^ More importantly, this nick gives the Porygon-Z some much needed personality. Nice work. :D

Male Cradily: Tangles ~8. You have a knack for picking nicknames that are unpretensious and yet very suitable to the pokemon. I like that. I've had enough "Shadowblazes" and "Stormchasers" and "Blackfires" and such... >_>

Male Tangrowth: Ramen ~10. An ABSOLUTE 10! :D That is just the CUTEST thing I've ever- it really made me smile! ^o^ Plus, it suits the pokemon SO much.

Female Magcargo: Paulette ~7. Haha, cute again. Not really fitting, but I see what you were trying to do ~ pokemon that are...ehm...not sortable under the 'pretty' category sometimes need to feel that way. ^-^

Female Lumineon: Neona ~7. Hm. Simple and fitting, short and sweet. I like it. :3

Male Wailord: Tiny ~8. xD You just gotta love this. xD

Female Aggron: Stella ~7. Cute name for such a big, hardy pokemon. ^-^ It's nice. Plus, I kind of can't shake the feeling that it matches her EYES. o_O' /eh...Ionno.../

Female Jumpluff: Pippin ~7. Ha! xD Sweet. Plus, I like the idea of using 'Pip' as a pet form of the name.

Female Banette: Marie ~7. Blood Marie referrence, maybe? Still, powerful and mysterious pokemon getting such a sweet, girly name. It never fails as a creepy factor. ;D

Male Mothim: Max ~6. Golden middle, once more. ^.^ Hm...I can't think of anything else to say about this one.

Female Butterfree: Christine ~6. Same as above. It sounds kind of elaborate for a Butterfree, though.

Female Drifblim: Puffy ~7. Points for cutness. ^^

Male Flygon: Oasis ~5. Not a fan of this one. xD But it's probably me ~ Flygons just look cute, but inherently silly to me. I have a problem when they get any kind of non-silly nickname.

Female Pachirisu: Peanut ~8. Cute, cute, CUTE! xD And they kinda LOOK like peanuts, darn it all. xD

Male Swalot: Bob ~8. Well...he's...he's BOB innie? XD Not much more to say. We need MORE pokemon named Bob.

Female Crobat: Fang ~5. Aaaah...hate to give an under-average grade for the end when I've praised you SO much, but I can't help it. For one thing, it's TOO predictable. Plus, Fang is too 'male' a name to make it a cute male-but-female name. Maybe if you'd named her Kiba instead? It still MEANS fang, but it's more feminine. ^-^

Well...there ya go. ^-^ You did AWESOME! I really like your nicknaming style and I'm incredibly fussy. xD

katkat

InsertDramaticMusic
My future team (From the last page, but I edited it):

•;154; : Blossom

•;385; : Starfire

•;136; : Burningheart

•;171; : Tenshi (Japanese word for angel, in relation to Lanturn's magestic appearence and antenna) or Starflie ((Star-fly, not Star-flee) in relation to it's twinkling antenna, and I was going to name it firefly, but...)

•;173; : Shimmer

•;334; : Talyn

Last edited:

bulbasaur14

Bulbasaur line ftw
could someone rate my new team names?

Typhlosion-Molotov
Feraligator-Crash
Meganium (any suggestions?)
Nocowl-Eclipse
Machamp-Tyson
Luxray-Neo

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Oh, hell, I'm bored. Let's do two!
My future team (From the last page, but I edited it):

•;154; : Blossom

•;385; : Starfire

•;136; : Burningheart

•;171; : Tenshi (Japanese word for angel, in relation to it's magestic appearence and antenna) or Starflie (Star-fly, not Star-flee)

•;173; : Shimmeringstar

•;334; : Talyn

Blossom: 7/10. Cliched, but it works.

Starfire: 5/10. I just don't feel the connection.

Burningheart: 3/10. Valiant-sounding, but it wouldn't fit on any Pokemon game, and I think you know that.

Tenshi: 2/10. Tenshi sound more like Lumineon, and Starflie doesn't make any sense at all.

Shimmeringstar: 3/10. There's that 10char limit again. Just try Shimmer.

Talyn: 5/10. I see what you're going for, but that would mostly fit a bird of prey, like Pidgeot or Staraptor.

Overall: 4.3/10. Put some more effort into your next batch of names.

Now for bulbasaur14!

Typhlosion-Molotov
Feraligator-Crash
Nocowl-Eclipse
Machamp-Tyson
Luxray-Neo

Molotov: 8/10. I actually had to look up where that name came from, which shows that it's original, yet at the same time confuses me, and that's off-putting.

Crash: 6/10. A good, strong name, but it doesn't say anything about Feraligatr.

Meganium: Male or female?

Eclipse: 8/10. Hints at its nocturnal nature, but I can't help but feel this is better suited to an Umbreon or a Lunatone, or even something from the Clefairy line.

Tyson: 7/10. Sounds macho, but would be better suited to a Hitmonchan.

Neo: 6/10. I've never seen anyone use that name, yet it feels bland and generic.

Overall: 5.8/10. A little more creativity would do you some good.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie

Typhlosion-Molotov
Feraligator-Crash
Nocowl-Eclipse
Machamp-Tyson
Luxray-Neo

Molotov is pretty good. 8/10. Molotov cocktail, isn't it?
Feraligatr as Crash... 4/10. Crash seems more of the Electric type to me.
For Meganium, Petunia or Geranium? Flower names.
7/10 for Noctowl's Eclipse. Seems more darkish, which an owl isn't.
8/10 for Tyson. Pretty good!
7/10 for Neo the Luxray. It's good, but seems lacking.

Snicker

The Grinning One
Okay, here's the chance for retaliation from all those whose nicknames I gave low grades...to. Um...well...THAT sentence should be taken out and shot. :-/

Anyway, here they are:
Male Bronzor ~ Lumpy
Male Prinplup ~ Hachi
Female Dustox ~ Lucy
Female Golbat ~ Kiba
Male Abra ~ Scotty /since he's got Teleport and he...beams me places xD/
Male Zigzagoon ~ Pickit
Male Spearow ~ Haku
Female Ivysaur ~ Moss
Male Umbreon ~ Trickem
Female Haunter ~ Riddly
Female Frosslass ~ Hush
Male Grovyle ~ Mojo
Female Gardevoir ~ Emma
MALE Gardevoir xD ~ Alexander (James Adams, but no room xD)
Male Flygon ~ Kazoo
Ditto (yes, I use one for battling >.>) ~ Reed. I wanted to use MrFantastic, but I THINK there wasn't enough room. >_>
Female Swellow ~ Rita
Male Jigglypuff/Wigglyruff ~ Bruiser

Eeeem...that's all I can think of right now, but there are LOTS more. >_>

bulbasaur14

Bulbasaur line ftw
thanks for raiting and btw the meganiums a female so any suggestions?

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
How about Pollen?

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Okay, here's the chance for retaliation from all those whose nicknames I gave low grades...to. Um...well...THAT sentence should be taken out and shot. :-/

Anyway, here they are:
Male Bronzor ~ Lumpy
Male Prinplup ~ Hachi
Female Dustox ~ Lucy
Female Golbat ~ Kiba
Male Abra ~ Scotty /since he's got Teleport and he...beams me places xD/
Male Zigzagoon ~ Pickit
Male Spearow ~ Haku
Female Ivysaur ~ Moss
Male Umbreon ~ Trickem
Female Haunter ~ Riddly
Female Frosslass ~ Hush
Male Grovyle ~ Mojo
Female Gardevoir ~ Emma
MALE Gardevoir xD ~ Alexander (James Adams, but no room xD)
Male Flygon ~ Kazoo
Ditto (yes, I use one for battling >.>) ~ Reed. I wanted to use MrFantastic, but I THINK there wasn't enough room. >_>
Female Swellow ~ Rita
Male Jigglypuff/Wigglyruff ~ Bruiser

Eeeem...that's all I can think of right now, but there are LOTS more. >_>

Scotty is a 8/10 - so funny!!! If you evolve him, make sure to keep teleport on there!
Your Gardevior's names are both 7/10. Quite suitable.
Rita had 7/10 too - nice, but doesn't sum up Swellow completely.
Kazoo is funny! 8.5/10. I see what you mean now...
Reed is 6/10... if it's a reference, sorry, but I don't get it.
Nice names though!

Snicker

The Grinning One
Thanks, Chibi Muffin! x3

And, hey, bulba-person, how about Milly for your Meganium? She somehow LOOKS like a Milly. x3

Oh, and guys, I just caught a Gible on my platinum game and gave it the nickname with is the almighty grandmother of ALL awesomeness.

Get ready for this...are you ready?

Male Gible ~ Nibbleton.

OH, yeah! XD /brofists herself/

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
If Ni the Torterra doesn't have an awesome name (according to everyone who's rated it), what hope does a Gible named Nibbleton have? Just saying.

1/10.

Emerald 2006

Nicknames I usually don't give to Pokemon,
But I do have one. a few weeks ago, I caught a Pikachu in the
Pokemon Mansion's Garden. It was Adamant Nature, and to top it off,
it was holding a Light Ball, which I had never gotten myself.
Well, I nicknamed him "Lucky", sort of a cute nickname for a Pikachu.

Snicker

The Grinning One
If Ni the Torterra doesn't have an awesome name (according to everyone who's rated it), what hope does a Gible named Nibbleton have? Just saying.

1/10.

^....wha? D:/

ANYWAY!

I'm thinking of hunting down coughRNGabusecough a shiny Gastly for my blue pokemon challenge and I'm torn between some nicknames:

Grinny
Boo /nyah, that one's kinda 'meh'/
Shooke

OR - something referring to its blueness, but I don't want it to be too obvious. Suggestions? ^-^

bulbasaur14

Bulbasaur line ftw
how about lightmare? LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.