• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*READ THE FIRST POST!!!* Characters You Dislike

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
PAUL: Unlike what most people think, there is nothing cool, "badass" or likeable about this obnoxious prick who treats Pokemon like tools. He's nothing but a two-bit bully, nothing more.

Agreed oh-so-very-much.

I used to like her, but after the GF finals... blegh.

I still don't understand why her winning the GF is such a Moral Event Horizon for you; the writers never let ANY main character win a big competition; they weren't about to start now. Heck, while I may have issue with how he was as a character, I don't even really fault Tobias for winning the Sinnoh League. The writers needed someone to prevent Ash from winning; he was just the one.

Barry: Brainless Paul fanboy.

I think he got better as he went on, actually. Sure, he was terrible in his first few episodes (his fanboyism of Paul wasn't only annoying, it also made no sense whatsoever), but after a while the Paul-related aspect of his character died down and he was used more humorously. He still could have been used much better than he was though.

Georgia: Being a jerk to two likeable characters (Iris and Cilan) for the whole duration of her debut episode made me dislike her instantly, and she did precious little to redeem herself later.

[spoil]To be fair, Iris is just as much of a jerk back to her in the Don Battle episodes, and at the end of all that Georgia does say she's hoping Iris becomes a Dragon Master so that she can be a worthy rival. That's already leagues ahead of the jerkassitude of, say, Paul or Harley, she's more on line with Gary, Drew and Ursula, really. [/spoil]

Last edited:

LilyTwo

I still don't understand why her winning the GF is such a Moral Event Horizon for you; the writers never let ANY main character win a big competition; they weren't about to start now. Heck, while I may have issue with how he was as a character, I don't even really fault Tobias for winning the Sinnoh League. The writers needed someone to prevent Ash from winning; he was just the one.

[spoil]To be fair, Iris is just as much of a jerk back to her in the Don Battle episodes, and at the end of all that Georgia does say she's hoping Iris becomes a Dragon Master so that she can be a worthy rival. That's already leagues ahead of the jerkassitude of, say, Paul or Harley, she's more on line with Gary, Drew and Ursula, really. [/spoil]

Sigh... sorry, but I think Dawn deserved to beat Zoey at least once. I understand where you're coming from, but that's what I think, and I'll never change my mind.

And I dislike this "the main characters are never allowed to win" attitude the writers have. Then, what's the point of me getting emotionally invested? I already know they will lose...

[spoil]Being a jerk to someone who spent her whole debut episode insulting and belittling you, not to mention wolfing down your own breakfast, is only natural, I'd say. And sorry, but I think Ursula was a lot nicer - and that's saying a lot, at least Ursula admitted when she was beaten.[/spoil]

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Sigh... sorry, but I think Dawn deserved to beat Zoey at least once.

That much I agree with. Rivalries are no fun when just one party involved wins all the time. I blame it on the fact that the writers didn't have Dawn and Zoey battle as often as they should have. For a supposedy rivalry, there wasn't much competiton involved.

And I dislike this "the main characters are never allowed to win" attitude the writers have. Then, what's the point of me getting emotionally invested? I already know they will lose...

I don't get it either, but I accept it. Though I didn't get emotionally invested in Ash or Dawn to begin with.

Being a jerk to someone who spent her whole debut episode insulting and belittling you, not to mention wolfing down your own breakfast, is only natural, I'd say. And sorry, but I think Ursula was a lot nicer - and that's saying a lot, at least Ursula admitted when she was beaten.

Ursula only admitted when she was beaten in her last appearance. Prior to that, she made some excuse as to why Dawn won. I agree that Ursula was less mean overall but who's to say Georgia won't end up like that by her last appearance?

And also, I really don't see how belittling and stealing a breakfast is any worse than, say, invoking your opponents' fears/hair problems and humiliating them in front of an entire audience.

Last edited:

Sincubus

HOW can somebody hate Harley?
1) He's gay and proud of it, so if you hate him you're anti-gay.
2) His voice is perfect and cool.
3) He's narcistic, perfect in any cartoon, as every cartoon should have its own Vega and Vanity Smurf.
4) He's mean and funny.

My worst characters are probably.
1) Brock, because he does the same all the time, we know he likes women by now, its getting boring.
2) Team Rockets pokemon are extremly boring... why not Cacturne instead of Cacnea... only Seviper rocks.
3) I never liked Ash and the small boy with the glasses (forgot his name) is boring too.

Remmie

3) I never liked Ash and the small boy with the glasses (forgot his name) is boring too.

Is name was Max and I'm also very happy that he isn't on the show anymore, I'm still wondering today why the writers bothered to make him appear in the Hoenn region, sorry for his fans.

Necro101

3) He's narcistic, perfect in any cartoon, as every cartoon should have its own Vega and Vanity Smurf.
4) He's mean and funny.

My worst characters are probably.
1) Brock, because he does the same all the time, we know he likes women by now, its getting boring.
2) Team Rockets pokemon are extremly boring... why not Cacturne instead of Cacnea... only Seviper rocks.

HARLEY WAS EPIC

Tobias was stupid he randomly came outa nowhere.... What wad the goal of him existing.
And Ursula.

Last edited:

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
A reminder: Whenever you mention a(nother) character, you must state your reasons for disliking them. Simply agreeing with another user or similar things won't cut it.

Elaborating and giving reasons is actually a forum-wide policy (yes, even in Polls), but it's especially important for this particular thread because it contains such a sensitive topic.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
4) He's mean and funny.

Uh #1 is completely a matter of opinion, and even if he is gay (unlikely considering the nature of the show) hating him does not make you anti-gay.

The rest of your points are all matters of opinion, some of them weirdly contradictory. Narcissism isn't really a positive thing.

Please elaborate as to why you like his voice and personality, as posts in this thread should not simply be statements of "he is the best", to prevent flame wars.

Shooti

Uber Trainer
I strongly dislike Kenny. That guy basically has nothing to keep me interested in him. He sucks in contests, has a boring rivalry with Dawn, lacks personality (imo) etc..

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Dawn basically made Contests too girly for me. When it was with May, you had Drew, Harley and some other cool contestors. But with Dawn, you have both her, May and Zoey in the same room. And with Nando, it was like another girl was there along with Ursula near the end. Plus Kenny, who seemed like he was ignored. This is why I miss AG.

Col-Erase

Alright, I have a few to list off ...

In the series as a WHOLE?
There's Ash. Yes, Ash!

I can openingly say that I DO NOT watch the anime for him in anyway. I really couldn't care less about him. They have made it clear that he will never reach his goal and that he is nothing more than a possible doll, being posed to take on w/e role they want to force upon him. (Writers) "Oh, we're gonna bring in some newb female? Lets make him the older brother character that's a bit more mature than he use to be so that he can be the role-model. In-order to make contest more legit lets have ... ASH USE CONTEST MOVES IN HIS BATTLES! That way he can have a stupid hex dodge via yelling "SPIN!!!" and BAAAM, the Pokemon HEX DODGES and everyone watching with their mouths open and their chins to the floor as his pokemon SPINS out of harms way like some fancy Air Bender! Oh, no more newb girl-to-take-on-contest because there's no contest in this region? Well, lets make him a lil kid again thats all newby like his Kanto days! REBOOT!!!!!". I only watch for ... pretty much anything NOT Ash. I watch for the Pokemon, I watched for the contest, I watch for Iris and Axew, I watch for fun stories ... but Ash is just there. I don't HATE him ... I simply don't care about him. And given his role I feel that not feeling ANYTHING towards him is just as bad as not liking him at all.

Then there's TR.
Man, I have been watching some old AG episodes ... I noticed that I would think to myself "Man, I like where this story is headed! Whats gonna happen ne-" then I see the "twerps" through a pair of goggles and then I think "F***, not this **** again ...".
I truly don't know WHY they care so much about Pikachu (other than the fact that they HAVE TO because its the only Pokemon that's gonna be there no matter what. It's their "Anchor" to the show until BW). In the 2nd episode Pikachu blew up the Pokemon Center after getting power Pumped by not only a gang of Pikachu on-top of it but also by Ash riding that busted up bike. Really, I think the Boss would just send Pikachu back to them if they ever sent it to him. Their gags arnt funny, their nothing but punching bags and they have outstayed their welcome.

BUT they are one of the main things BW has done right in it's attempt at rebooting the show. No longer are they around EVERY EPISODE. No longer are they gags/ jokes. This is how they should have always been.

Also never liked Brock or his never ending changing career goals but he is gone now so "YAY and never come back ...".

In AG
Max!

I didn't HATE hate him, he just annoyed me greatly and I can't think of one character from that time that annoyed me as much as he. Mainly because regardless of the fate that he's a know-it-all he doesn't have the ability to catch or raise. I never cared much for him and I didn't MIND him being there, he just annoyed me cause I didn't see much reason for him to be there other then to show off how lazy May was with her studies. He is by far the most likable on my list, I really like AG now that I watch it a bit online (I skipped most of it because I hated the 3rd gen of Pokemon Games).

In DP
DAWN and PIPLUP!!!

Dawn ... yup. I hated her. She brang nothing interesting to the group dynamic. (Thats one reason I LOVE Iris, she's a snarker who points out the annoying traits or actions of the group. She's pretty much my voice in the anime when Dent does "it's Blank TIIIIME!". Having clashes and conflicts between people who clearly care for each other even if they don't always get along is the right mixture for a great group IMO) Really, it just felt like everyone was standing around patting each other on the *** in DP. She made contest lame and more SHOW than substance.

On top of that she has that logic breaking skirt that makes her look so flat and strange when they try to pull off those cam angles that should logically show up her skirt by drawing her in a way so that you can never actually see where the legs meet. GG, it was a stupid design in the games too for someone to wear while travelling. If its gonna be that much of a problem why not just give her shorts to wear under her skirt?

I did not care for Dawn's whinny lil baby act nor her flashy-girly style nor her Pokemon. Heck, once it became clear that she would never make Buneary happy enough to evolve I dropped out of DP.

Piplup is and attention hungry annoyance. He doesn't deserve a proper explanation.

And finally ... for BW!!
It's ... BEL!!!

I tell ya, if Paul treats Pokemon like tools then she treats them like Beanie Babies.
I really can't see why I seem to be one of the very few people willing to call her out on her actions. She is a scummy, selfish, inconsiderate, superficial character with a GREAT lacking in respect for others and her own Pokemon as well as wild/trained Pokemon in general.

Her actions in the Don-T have showed me everything I needed to confirm how she is as a character. At the drop of a fox poop she was ready to trade her starter, her trump-card, her Main Pokemon that got her through all 3 gyms ... for a Cute Fox she just saw after failing to catch it and finding out it had a trainer. After that she suggested to let the Fox decide ... and then we get 4 episodes of her stalking the poor thing, trying to force it to like her so that she can steal it away from Luke right under his nose.

In lil Diva's first episode Bel tries to force it to like her, stalks it when it runs away, randomly blasted other Pokemon with attacks while they rest as she looks for it and she does all this while trying to play the "act-stupid-cause-it's-cute <3" card.

She is like the worse case of Berry you can get. She annoys me and I really don't like her or people like her.

Last edited:

vodor

Banned
For me, It's Drew & J
I just hate the way writer favour Drew u know
It's like they has a crush on Drew themself

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Kenny & Zoey because I partly couldn't stand Contests of DP Saga (other than Dawn, I loved her, but that's not the point) and partly because I disliked their personalities, [insert Sideshow Bob voice] especially Kenny, and especially Zoey! I don't really like Burgundy of BW either, she just comes off as a bratty girl who gets offended by anything anybody says to her. Oh I forgot about Macy from Johto too (Caseyclone, but at least Casey provided comic relief).

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I'm starting to hate Ash and Pikachu because they are starting to get boring, stale, and one dimensional. It's always the same thing Ash's character regresses then when he makes it to the league he has a strong team but loses and it becomes an endless cycle. I just want to see his character done already.

Casty

I have never, ever liked the original cast (Ash, Brock and Misty) to begin with, not even as a 8 year old. I hated their teams, esp. how they almost never evolved their Pokemon. I'll never forget the disappointment I have felt when I realised Ash's Pikachu was never going to evolve. Also, I was already a very big video game fan back then, and seeing Bulbasaur take down a Dragonite (or something similar) was absolutely ridiculous for me. I found Assh to be a very dull character in general, I got bored by Brock "must have a crush on every girl in the show (bar Misty)" attitude, and I never got the amount of love Misty gets from the fandom. I only watched the show for Pokemon and battles, and tbh I still do, except the sidekick characters (Iris and Cilan) are somewhat more interesting now. Ash can still kiss my butt though :p

As far as Pokemon are concerned, Oshawott. I dislike the species in general, they are hands down the single worst designed Pokemon in the entire series, but anime took this to a new level. An annoying attention ***** which was woobified to the extremes by a fandom? No thanks.

Last edited:

Gillespie

It will ALL be mine!
I dislike:

1. Misty: Throughout her entire run in the series, she was an annoying character. While her strained relationship with her older sisters successfully explained her personality, her character still lacked zest and was not the slightest bit amusing. She was a typical hot-headed tsundere with an inferiority complex that developed into arrogance as a way for her to cope with her insecurities. Jessie falls under a similar archetype, but her character was far more colorful and entertaining, not to mention she had a more interesting past and more dimension to her personality. Overall, she fulfilled the role better than Misty, who just seemed like a bland bratty kid in comparison. Later on in Johto, she spent most of her time standing in the background as Ash's cheerleader with only glimmers of her old self manifesting from time to time.

Last but not least, I hated Pokeshipping. Romantic pairings where the characters have clashing personalities and spend the vast majority of their time arguing have always irritated me.

2. Drew: His character was a two-dimensional jerk with a heart of gold who antagonized the girl he had a crush on because he was insecure about whether or not she would reciprocate his feelings for her. Talk about being an obnoxious bore. On that note, much like with Pokeshipping, I hated Contestshipping for being an annoying love-hate relationship. (For the record, I am not an Advanceshipper. When it comes to that ship, I am indifferent to it.)

3. Piplup: It was a selfish, egotistical, and mean-spirited creature who hogged the show's spotlight.

4. Harley: He was an offensive homosexual stereotype who was exceedingly rude and arrogant. I also did not view him as being a threatening rival. He was able to trick May, a very naive girl who anyone could deceive. What is so great about that?

5. Paul: He was a standard cold, callous, and haughty rival who had very little depth to his personality and failed at being entertaining.

6. Tracey: He was a stale character who did not have any flavor to his personality. Overall, he was an inferior replacement for Brock, who was actually likable in Kanto.

7. Ash: Like with Misty, I always found him to be an annoying character. Throughout Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto, he was short tempered, arrogant, and over confident, not unlike many other shonen anime protagonists. He has been more mature from Hoenn onwards. However, since that saga, he has also been a bland hero boy with parts of his old self only popping up every now and then.

8. Barry: He is a hyperactive loud-mouth whose over-the-top antics are annoying to watch.

9. Brock from Johto onwards: He was a likable and enjoyable character in Kanto. However, once he returned in Johto, he became a hollow shell of his former self. With the exceptions of a few episodes, all he did from Johto onwards was act as Ash's cheerleader and skirt chase.

pokemon fan 132

I dislike:

1. Misty: Later on in Johto, she spent most of her time standing in the background as Ash's cheerleader with only glimmers of her old self manifesting from time to time.

From what i noticed,reason why Misty temper was used in smaller measure compared to Kanto days with character starting to change is because she started to develop and mature over time learning how to become more patient not exploding over every little thing which may have gone on her nerves allowing that other sides of her personality comes on surface more often being overshadowed by temper at times in past.During course of Johto i remember she became more mature and level headed along with various sides of her personality being explored like sarcasm,girly side,passionate love and dedication toward battling and water types,spunk,her witty side etc getting some development.

This can be noticed in way she interacted with several other characters like Sakura,Egan,Dorian etc becoming mature enough to get over her complex of inferiority caused by sisters not being bothered much about it helping Sakura how to deal with her older siblings for example as well being over course of Johto willing to admit hr own mistakes and take criticism in much better manner compared to early days.Which is testament to character growth.

I respect your opinion and everything,just wanted to comment on Misty characterization which changed abit over time.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I strongly dislike Conway, I found him creepy and he was kind of a stalker in the Summer Academy episodes.

~Demon Maxwell~

The Clever Girl
Sorry for just butting into the thread, but I just wanted to state my opinion too! ^-^

1) I rather dislike Ash. Sure, he is the main character, and he is important to the show, but his whole attitude kind or irritates me for a supposed (at least) fourteen/fifteen year old. His childish acts are getting old now and his knowledge of pokemon seems to increase to the max, and then reset at the begining of a new season, which is also incredibley annoying. Another reason is that, although he is the main character of the show and I totally respect that, he tends to steal the spotlight alot when other characters could be given the chance for further development and such. ^-^;

2) I was never all that fond of Oshawott. Sure, he's cute and all, but his design is neither original ( looks as if he's based off of a Piplup base to me, but that's just my opinion) nor truly interesting. He's arrogant, opinionated and seems to think he's the best pokemon of Ash's team, though I have to admit he does get slightly better as the season progresses. I also don't like that quite a few of the episodes have been based on Oshawott himself. Like when he joined Ash's team and the producers made a big deal of Oshawott following and such. Then there was the episode with the whole aspect of learning to swim with his eyes open. And there was when he lost his shell. I mean, I just don't see the need for all of these episodes about him... ^-^;

3) I quite disliked Brock too. He just always seemed to state the obvious and just kind of... be there. Sure, he was useful whenever they needed medicines or whatever, but the writers spent so much time on writing "humourous" pick-up lines for his continuous flirting, that that aspect of him never really got explored all that much. :(

4) I wasn't one for Max either. I don't know about you, and he was cute and all, but I didn't really see his worth there. I know he was a kid and he was aspiring to be a trainer. The fact that he was May's brother may justify it, but I just didn't feel there was a need for him to go with them. I mean, there must have been tons of other kids that were aspiring trainers and THEY didn't get to go with their siblings or whatevers in order to get a feel for the journey. Though I'm probably just being really picky. I don't mind his character or anything; that fact about him just bugs me a little.

~Jess~

Blazicken

Sex on fire
The character I actiually disliked was piplup.
Misty also was annoying for most of the series, dumping on ash got old quickly.
Sure ash gets on my nerves sometimes doing you must be fking shitting me moves,
but it's not like just the sight/sound of him got on my nerves.
TR go tremendously hight on my nerve-system somewhere along the hoen-region, it just wasn't funny anmore.
Just the mere sight of them made the anger well up inside of me... but that seems to have cooled down lately.
Dawn never really grabbed me either. It was just there for some reason and so I could live with it.

Last edited: