• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*READ THE FIRST POST!!!* Characters You Dislike

pokemon fan 132

Interestingly enough i never understood purpose behind Casey. Its not that i hated her,m but she seemed like failed attempt to give Ash proper female rival being showed for grand total of three times in whole Johto failing to qualify for league and ever battle him again.

I wasnt too keen on Tobias either. He was one dimensional your typical last minute introduced character whose sole purpose was in preventing main protagonist from going all way to top being portrayed as Gary Sue which relied heavily on lgendary pokemon to accomplish his aims.

-I didn't like how just like with Iris that she just stood there for episodes at a time unless it was an extreme emergency. If there was no Team Rocket there, would she have even used her pokemon?

She did used her pokemon when she entered competitions and battled other trainers, though admittedly it wasnt very often.

-When Togepi came, it's like she was motionless from then on. I knew it was a baby but I felt that she did less with it then before.

Not sure what this had to do with anything, but Misty was equally active both before and after Togepi came. She was also full of persona too, with taking care of baby pokemon showing different sides of character not being only short tempered shouting on everything.
Granted in Johto she was neglected at times but that was due to poor writing and writers inexperience.

-Then in Johto, she didn't do anything until the Whirl islands beating Ash who had battled more than her, yet for some reason her strength was unknown.

While i agree how she didnt got nearly enough focus in Johto, she definitely did more than just entering Whirl Cup providing humor and chemistry within group,battling several trainers and forming friendship with them(like Sakura)etc.

-And lastly, When she had her camoe in AG and her chronicals, they should have found a closure to end her story completely without bringing her back due to Ash or the fact they were in the same region.

Her cameos werent done because of Ash but to give her follow up and some screen time after departure like they did with May. And thy couldnt wrap up her story due to plots which made it like goal,ambitions etc being left untied.

Interestingly enough i never understood purpose behind Casey. Its not that i hated her,m but she seemed like failed attempt to give Ash proper female rival being showed for grand total of three times in whole Johto failing to qualify for league and ever battle him again.

I wasnt too keen on Tobias either. He was one dimensional your typical last minute introduced character whose sole purpose was in preventing main protagonist from going all way to top being portrayed as Gary Sue which relied heavily on lgendary pokemon to accomplish his aims.

She did used her pokemon when she entered competitions and battled other trainers, though admittedly it wasnt very often.

Not sure what this had to do with anything, but Misty was equally active both before and after Togepi came. She was also full of persona too, with taking care of baby pokemon showing different sides of character not being only short tempered shouting on everything.
Granted in Johto she was neglected at times but that was due to poor writing and writers inexperience.

While i agree how she didnt got nearly enough focus in Johto, she definitely did more than just entering Whirl Cup providing humor and chemistry within group,battling several trainers and forming friendship with them(like Sakura)etc.

Her cameos werent done because of Ash but to give her follow up and some screen time after departure like they did with May. And thy couldnt wrap up her story due to plots which made it like goal,ambitions etc being left untied.

We don't need to defend Misty on every thread you know? All Caseydia said was she didn't like Misty. This thread is to discuss characters we didn't like and we don't need to turn this thread into why Misty was a good character or not.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer

Agh! This is the only thread where you can actually talk about characters you don't like for a change. Let me drown in my self pity for once.

Come on guys, this is the best thread in anime polls. If you start arguing about Misty, it'll get closed.

I also disliked Barry and Kenny. They made the Empoleon line look horrible.

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
I wish I had enjoyed Bianca more since she was a game character and all. But I didn't like her from the beginning and I don't like her now. I just felt that since I've played the games that even though she was clumzie thatg she would be more stronger battle wise. But she started off being weaker than Ash, which was not a good thing. Now she's gained so much strenght but I believe that if it wasn't for the evolution of Pignite that she would have been still weak. She has a funny personality but the same gags and the annoyign appearances of her just hopping around wasn't too fun. Hopefully she'll get better before she gets worse.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Come on guys, this is the best thread in anime polls. If you start arguing about Misty, it'll get closed.

I also disliked Barry and Kenny. They made the Empoleon line look horrible.

You're right. Sorry about that.

I wanna talk alittle about Kenny. He was alright in some ways but in others he was annoying.
-He started off as a childhood friend who did not have to have the same starter type like Dawn so that it wouldn't so boring watching him battle.

-Next, is the whole battle thing. He battled with ash a few times, which was good but yet it was bad. He needed to have been battling more with Dawn since he was her childhood friend. That way it could have helped her more with battles which she needed.

-Then there was the contests. He won a few on screen but when the festival came I felt he got trolled but I didn't like that he didn't practice as much as he should on his appeals.

-And lastly, the episode where he left. It wasn't necceassry to have Jasmin and Flint there at the same time taking away his last episode cameo. He instead of battling Dawn to travel with him challenged Ash who had absolutely nothing to do with any of his feelings. Training is a good thing, but battling for a troll is another. He won and still he ended up with nothing. It goes to show him that if he would have just asked, he would have got a straight answer to begin with.

Dawn and Piplup

Piplup+Pikachu Fan
My most disliked character was Piplup, my reasons behind this was he was selfish, annoying, arrogant, egotistical, "trying to be cool but being totally unfunny when falling somewhere" little pipsqueak ^^
Piplup isn't selfish, you can see just how much he cared for Dawn. He seemed to show a lot of emotion to her and always tried his best for her.

I like all characters but my least favourite character is probably Kenny. It annoyed me he kept annoying her and I just HATED it how he tried to take Dawn away from Ash. He has good points too but he generally annoyed me. And I didn't like the way he beat Ash (who had been on a journey for longer than him)

I dislike:

1. Misty: Throughout her entire run in the series, she was an annoying character. While her strained relationship with her older sisters successfully explained her personality, her character still lacked zest and was not the slightest bit amusing. She was a typical hot-headed tsundere with an inferiority complex that developed into arrogance as a way for her to cope with her insecurities. Jessie falls under a similar archetype, but her character was far more colorful and entertaining, not to mention she had a more interesting past and more dimension to her personality. Overall, she fulfilled the role better than Misty, who just seemed like a bland bratty kid in comparison. Later on in Johto, she spent most of her time standing in the background as Ash's cheerleader with only glimmers of her old self manifesting from time to time.

6. Tracey: He was a stale character who did not have any flavor to his personality. Overall, he was an inferior replacement for Brock, who was actually likable in Kanto.

I agree with these.

I'm not annoyed by Satoshi though because my main problems with him was the way he talked and his voice actors for the english and portuguese versions.
Rica Matsumoto does a good job so I actually like him now.
As for Takeshi... I found him to be more active in Houen (so far) than he's been in Kanto. Which isn't even hard to do.

I'll add that rival (I think his english name was Ricky or something?) of the end of the Indigo League to my list of dislikes.
I really couldn't stand his 'i'm your rival but I'm here offering you flowers and cookies' atitude, or how part of his team just had to be a mirrored version of Satoshi's...

Earthia100

Max. Four is a crowd.

Burgundy. She is such a hater. And in one episode, she is holding a glass of what looks like grown-up-water. Naughty.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
May's Bulbasaur and Squirtle. I mean we've already had a Bulbasaur and Squirtle on the main cast, it would've been better with more variety.

AceFlonne

Mediator
Max- A complete waste of a travelling companion,He never contributed anything to the cast.

Trip - Complete boring character and a horrible version of Cheren,He just bash on Ash and later on he got defeated by Bianca.

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!
My most didliked character for the Best Wishes would be Ah. Yes!! He has not been using the correct pokemon to battle in gyms and only been using Oshawott or Pikachu. Although the other starters also get screentime, Y does Ash not use Palpitoad, Unfezant, Boldore, Scraggy, Leavanny and Krokorok much?

My most didliked character for the Best Wishes would be Ah. Yes!! He has not been using the correct pokemon to battle in gyms and only been using Oshawott or Pikachu. Although the other starters also get screentime, Y does Ash not use Palpitoad, Unfezant, Boldore, Scraggy, Leavanny and Krokorok much?

Because the starters are marketable and actually have personalities? Also, his usage of Scraggy, Krokorok and Unfezant has been fine. That doesn't make him a bad character.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era

To be fair, Oshawott is used a lot but does nothing, we should see less of Pignite and more of Oshawott IF it's for development, not screen hogginh

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
My most disliked character is ash ketchum, why?
1. I know everyone complains about this but he continuousely leaves all of his pokemon behind as a one time thing sure why not. but after two is pushing it and three is too much if he wants to be a pokemon master he has to call apon on all of his pokemon old and new alike and train them like there is no tomorrow he cant keep neglecting them like he is now I honestly hope the writers will create a characterwho will beat him with little to no effort who happens to be a experience trainer him/her self and isnt a elite four member of a regional champion or anything like that unless it would help and tell ash what he is doing wrong.
2. I hate to sound old fashioned but he has gotten bland since the end of the original series.
The only reason I would want him to appear in a video game is so that I can beat the living day lights out of him.

Last edited:

Alvez05

I think that the character that I dislike more is Dawn's Piplup. I don't have a real reason to dislike it, I just think that he is annoying as hell. Oh, and his English voice creeps me out :X

Bryon

Moveset Comp Judge
Me, some of the characters of the day never got to me very well. Some did, but a few seemed unreleastic. Like AJ. How come if he could get 100 wins and no losses didn't we see him in the Indigo League? Plus it's also kinda odd how he cares about his Pokémon yet at the same time he can be so harsh just because he wants to win so badly??

For the main cast, Brock's gotten to me at some points, mostly in DP when it seemed like he wouldn't let Ash and Dawn make each other feel better when they needed it in a big brotherly way to give them space when he would allow it with Misty and May. I mean, WTF? It's no different for them then it is with Ash and Dawn so why do it then?

In terms of Pokémon, I've not been much for Dawn's Piplup at times with how bratty he can get, like chewing out Gible for accidently blasting him while he (Gible) was trying to learn Draco Meteor, or other times like with Cyndaquil/Quilava since he got Dawn's attention when he was a baby. I mean, in some cases, Hareta from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure had a better Piplup since even with his prideful nature, he still was just as much like Hareta and tried his hardest.

Last edited:

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
I was never really too fond of Dawn to begin with. I guess her appearance has made me feel even worse. The skirt killed it for me in the beginning, then her voice, then her hogging the screen, and then being noisy. Piplup now made it worse with Oshawott which is next on my list and ofcourse her going up against Iris has my stomach in knots.

Oshawott, what can I say. It was cute and funny but it's gotten alittle out of control along with Piplup and Meloetta. I get we need a mascot/comic relief character for the show, but in every episode, is it needed in bad fillers as well? This is why I'm praying hard for a evolution. Not only will it be not failing in it's battles all the time, but it's personality will change which might be a good thing.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I've seen enough of Unova to add a few my personal list.

Cilian. To be fair it was like he was written to be a like 'em or hate 'em character. I just think that he brings to focus on himself entirely too much when he takes on a scene and turns out hammy and overplayed. If he was introduced in Kanto where everyone was crazy I might be able to get on his crazy train, but here in Unova he just seems out of place. I'd like him more if he learned when to be quiet, but it seems like Unova has shed the very concept of " character development ".

I don't like Bianca for a lot of the same reasons. She seems to be way too eccentric for the cast, and she's one of the worst battlers since Casey. Her team is a train wreck. I'm not particularly excited to see any of them again. I'm not really sure how, when, or if they can do anything to redeem her character at this point besides make Burgundy more or a punching bag to take the heat off her.

Unova Team Rocket was already on my original list as suspect. Now I can pretty much confirm my distaste for them. They were completely ruined.

Bryon

Moveset Comp Judge

Agreed withcha, 132. Tobias was the worst example of that bit, while Tyson and Harrison at least along to an extent with Ritchie were more dimensional than Tobias. I also have not liked some of the appearances by members of the Elite Four, no matter the region. In Kanto, Lorelei kinda came off odd with how she seemed to be lecturing Ash, while Lance, Bruno, and even Agatha were better handled. The same thing came to me with how Bertha seemed as if she was lecturing Ash too.