• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*READ THE FIRST POST!!!* Characters You Dislike

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
[I'm paraphrasing since I don't have the actual blog post at the moment]

Here's the link.

Takeshi Shudo said:
There were people that felt that behind the words "It's just an accidence that I want to go there where Satoshi is" she hides a love interest for Satoshi, but it was just fake scene I prepared for Kasumi to make her sense of existence (in the series) stand out.

Kasumi doesn't have anything like love interest for Satoshi. If Kasumi's feeling of love towards Satoshi would become Pokemon's subject, it would break the whole structure of Pokemon.

The blog paraphrase a bit more about what he said:

He also made it clear that for Satoshi, being a child, his relation with Pikachu is stronger so that even if Kasumi felt something towards Satoshi, she couldn't intrude between them.

Even if in Pokemon happened something like Kasumi falling in love with Satoshi, it would be like with addding spices to the cooking, too much spices would make only the flavour too complicated and it would be just intrusion.

Shame they didn't translate more stuff. His blog had some very interesting pieces. I'm still learning japanese and as soon as I get better I'll start trying to read the entries.

then I have to admit that his comment has always seemed rather rude and unlike him given that he had some involvement in the second movie, and there was some blatant romantic tension in that movie. Whether or not it was meant to lead to something later is up for debate since a lot of things changed in the anime throughout the years, but Mr. Shudo acting as if Kasumi didn't like Satoshi as more than just a friend seemed far-sighted of him. Her jealousy/tsundere moments can't just be swept under the rug.

It's just a matter of interpretation and anyone can have whichever they want as long as they don't push it as a fact. I've always saw those tsundere moments played more as baiting because they wanted to try appealing certain fanbases - see his coments about the character only being included because they wanted to appeal girls - than definitive proof of anything.

On the paraphrasing done in the site I posted above you can see his coments feel more like going to "eh, guys, I know you want romance but show's not about that and the few things that looked like that way was because we wanted to make the reasons for the character be in the show stand out as we couldn't thing better things to do with her"

EDIT: Changed the link for a much better one that has a full translation of the blog entry

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:
I'd say dislike is a bit strong but Drew never did much for me. I know a lot of people love him and he's not an awful character but I never really found him to be that interesting.

From what I've seen, most fans seem to be rather ambivalent towards him. Maybe things were different during the AG era, but I rarely see people talk about him nowadays, and most of the discussions that do involve him are limited to threads about past rivals. But even compared to rival characters like Shinji, Alain, or some of the other Contest rivals like Nozomi and Harley, Shuu seems to be rather forgotten.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The updated list
1. Goh - GO is awful, so it's only natural you'd automatically hate a character based on the app. Goal topped Showcases as the worst one and while I could tolerate Lana, Bonnie, and Clemont focused episodes... I can't stand his. Most of them are one and done, put on the list to never watch again! Having a selfish and greedy personality doesn't help, he's supposed to be a good guy... he shouldn't have those traits!
2. Kukui - Never liked him in the games or anime. He's like Red... though at least Manga Red is cool. There's no version of him I like
3. Alain -Should have stayed in the specials. Having him meet Ash felt super forced, especially when he entered the League.... why? Just why?! It wasn't his goal, Tierno and Sawyer shared Ash's goal! Alain didn't.... and then the broke the tradition of Ash growing to become stronger and beat his rivals! And made all the hype surrounding Ash-Greninja and hyping up Diantha utterly pointless and feel like a waste of time!
4. Matori - Started off interesting but then she ended up becoming a blatant Cassidy ripoff! She's the one and I mean one character associated with Team Rocket that I do not like! Most of the other members are on my favorite list but her? She's just uninteresting and boring, I'd rather have Biff and Cassidy back
5. Lana and Bonnie - I find them both annoying. Lana's lies and Bonnie constantly trying to pawn her brother off when he keeps saying NO. No means no! And when she almost lost her brother? She didn't learn from her mistake at all and tried to marry him off again two seconds later! :rolleyes:
6. Sorrel and Verity - They were just Brock and Misty-lite. At least Cross felt like an original character, I love Cross! I'd like it if Cross crossed over to the main universe and became a rival
7. Sawyer - HUGE missed opportunity to use Wally! I didn't see the point to his character at all, if he was set up to be Ash's downfall that would be a bit poetic since Ash was always the underdog and beat Gary and Paul in the end but nah.
8. Lana's sisters - Parker and Mimo are the only 'kid' characters I like, everyone else is just overwhelmingly annoying for some reason
9. Nene - Why did she get the upgrade from COTD to rival but Amelia didn't? She added nothing new to the rival dynamic, you already had the 'close friend' in Shauna, the friend that teases about your crush in Miette, and of course Jessie.... why no jerk rival? If Jessie cheated then there wouldn't be a demand but she plays that stuff legit! Nene came back and was basically just there, Amelia could have been Serena's Harley/Ursula which the character desperately needed
10. Iris - I don't hate her anymore but I still dislike her. If they drop that gag(or direct it at Goh instead lol) whenever she comes back and evolve Axew then maybe I'll actually like her

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
From what I've seen, most fans seem to be rather ambivalent towards him. Maybe things were different during the AG era, but I rarely see people talk about him nowadays, and most of the discussions that do involve him are limited to threads about past rivals. But even compared to rival characters like Shinji, Alain, or some of the other Contest rivals like Nozomi and Harley, Shuu seems to be rather forgotten.
Because he literally only existed to be a Love Interest for May. There's no other interesting qualities to talk about

DatsRight

5. Lana and Bonnie - I find them both annoying. Lana's lies and Bonnie constantly trying to pawn her brother off when he keeps saying NO. No means no! And when she almost lost her brother? She didn't learn from her mistake at all and tried to marry him off again two seconds later! :rolleyes:

I think it was more the fact that Bonnie got her comeuppance once in a blue moon that bugged me, and most of the time the joke was always on her brother. Stuff like basically selling Clemont in one episode as part of a scheme and then forgetting all about him, leaving him to humiliatingly escape himself. I think the girlfriend episode was kind of the final nail concerning that because it shown her to not only be extremely fickle in her antics, but again NEVER get some sort of karma for how bratty she was. Only Clemont and the girlfriend who didn't do anything at all suffered. She felt like this force of nature just cosmically driven to humiliate him. Characters with abrasive or jerk qualities can work so long as their flaws have consequences.

I think this is the divisive element of the likes of Misty and Iris too, since while they did get SOME moments of karma compared to Bonnie, Ash tended to be more dominantly the butt monkey of the dynamic, with the two getting away with being hypocrites because of it, or in some cases being outright immune to slapstick punishments while only Ash got punished (sure Ash could be an arrogant dope, but it's still selective enforcement). Iris admittedly just couldn't catch a break as a trainer. Even when she won she lost. Misty however got away with all the flukes and plot armour she accused Ash of living off of.

Lana wasn't really a jerk, just a harmless troll, her pranks never had harmful effect. I guess the fact she was still nearly always on the winning end did make her less relatable a character though. They really flanderized how multi talented she was by the end of SM.

I have to say I thought Harley was a pretty overrated rival because of this. He was a blatant cheater and a bully, it felt like it was really setting him up to get a satisfying comeuppance. But, aside from just not winning most of the time, he usually got away with just storming off in a huff with his dignity otherwise in tact. You'd think after a while he'd get in trouble with officials for blatant foul play and cheating at least.

I also wasn't big on Team Rocket being his punching bags (with Jessie deprived any real revenge in his last appearance). I dunno, I know TR are meant to be pathetic, but I think playing straw loser to even a petty antagonist like him was their lowest point, even DP did more justice in the heirarchy. I think they were trying to hard to set him up as a menace for what a trivial joke he came off as. He should have at least got humiliated once.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mythical-Moonlight said:
Because he literally only existed to be a Love Interest for May. There's no other interesting qualities to talk about

I think that's a bit unfair since Shuu had other traits outside of his rivalry with Haruka. I think that the writers missed a chance to delve deeper into his rivalry with Saori, for instance. I also would've liked to get a flashback to when he first met his Roselia.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Now the episodes aired in the dub...

I'll add Ash's Riolu in the least of characters I strongly dislike. I didn't like how his capture episode played off. It tried to make way too big of a deal about unlike what happened to Dragonite's and even Gengar's.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I think that's a bit unfair since Shuu had other traits outside of his rivalry with Haruka. I think that the writers missed a chance to delve deeper into his rivalry with Saori, for instance. I also would've liked to get a flashback to when he first met his Roselia.

Yeah, it was only brought up once or twice after the initial start. Wasn't as prominent as Serena's crush on Ash or Tierno's on Serena, it was just there and handled rather realistically
He's a great rival, shame they left him and Harley behind when it came to the Wallace Cup. It'd have been amusing to see Zoey put Harley in his place and Drew having a battle with Ash would have been fun instead of it being some COTD taking him out

kamineko23

Now the episodes aired in the dub...

I'll add Ash's Riolu in the least of characters I strongly dislike. I didn't like how his capture episode played off. It tried to make way too big of a deal about unlike what happened to Dragonite's and even Gengar's.

As much as I liked it when Ash caught the newly hatched Riolu, I don't like the way Riolu acts like a spoiled child and takes all of Ash's attention until now.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has the same opinion with me, but I'm not a fan of the voice of Goh's Pokedex in the Japanese dub. I'm always annoyed when hearing its voice, especially when it says "Great" or "Nice" when Goh's throwing his Pokeball.

Applecorp

and, yeah seriously... Ash needs more captures other than his purpose as a cheerleader to Goh. Although I admit that I liked his voice, it reminds me of a certain anime character that I can't remember.

Dude he was being sarcastic and poking fun at how almost everyone who dislikes Goh complains about him taking Ash's screentime even though Ash has been around for 1000 episodes.

RafaSceptile

Dude he was being sarcastic and poking fun at how almost everyone who dislikes Goh complains about him taking Ash's screentime even though Ash has been around for 1000 episodes.

I Thought that was an actual post but okay then. I will delete my post now. :(

Yeah, he was being sarcastic.

Korrina. I don't like her personality, she gets way too much focus and is overrated, and her English dub voice makes my ears bleed.
Riolu/Lucario. Gets way too much screentime and is overly promoted in a way that makes it feel like it can do wrong.

Honestly, I find Wulfric even worse. At least Korrina had some personality and development, but Wulfric is overgloryfing because he was able to defeat an unperfected Ash-Greninja with a depressed Ash.

Saraneon

Super random but I've always disliked Max. (Sorry for those who like him, if you do like him I hope you won't get offended!)

He's super annoying. Everytime I hear him talk I want to grab a Jigglypuff and tell it to sing until Max's ears fall off (anyone remember Burgundy, she said this line LOL). I won't say my Hoenn experience was ruined by him, but I'll just say he's pretty bad. Like really bad. Worse than anyone I've seen so far (for me). This may seem petty, but I dislike how he dragged off Brock just when something was starting between him and Pike Queen Lucy! I wanted to storm in and grab his ear heh. I don't want a rock to fall on his head or anything, I just feel really apathetic towards him. He can fall off a cliff on his own and I wouldn't bat an eyelash (okay maybe this is exaggeration).

I don't have any Pokemon I dislike, I think they're pretty redeemable, unless they are a wild Pokemon, I typically blame their trainer. Even the "weakest" Pokemon are still adorable in my eyes hehe.

<3

Litleonid

Goh....He is probably the worst protagonist the Pokemon anime has ever had to me, and this tops characters like Max and Tracy.

The reason why I don't like Goh stems from what he's based on. He's based on Pokemon Go. A mobile app. His sole purpose is to represent Pokemon Go, and honestly, the way they gave the game representation is horrible. All through a kid who just goes around chucking Pokeballs at random Pokemon and getting lucky. Frist off, for many years, its been established that you need to battle against a Pokemon and weaken it before, though Goh just simply yeets a Pokeball and 99% of the time, he catches it with a single Pokeball. Representing Pokemon Go through its capture mechanics was a horrible idea.

On top of this, his goal is to catch Mew and how he thinks he can catch Mew is the most boring thing to watch in the Pokemon anime. Just catching all these Pokemon he doesn't even truly need? Its taken the joy out of capture episodes. Captures used to mean a new cast member to root for and see grow. We don't get this with Goh's captures unless they're Cinderace and Sobble, who I honestly think should have gone to Ash. His captures are just there to be a part of Goh's never ending collection and a lot of the times, their personality boil down to simply they love Goh. That's it. He doesn't train them or anything. They're just there.

Also, a lot of the time he feels like he's just the writer's pet and he's a hinderance to Ash's story. He gets all these captures with just 1 Pokeball and very rarely ever has to battle, and when he does, he's suddenly a competent fighter despite not liking battles much back in the beginning and never training with his Pokemon. He is accomplishing his incredibly boring goal all too easily. And a lot of times, I feel like he gets way too much focus and its taking away from Ash and the PWC. Like one prime example I wanna point out is during the Bea arc. Ash loses to Bea and then the next episode shows him losing even more battles, while giving Goh focus in the fight against Flygon and not enough on Ash rebounding. The next episode features Ash's return to Alola, and most is focused on Goh. Even the next episode is focused mostly on Goh, and when we get to Ash's rematch with Bea, he's suddenly made his way back to the super class off screen and overcome this slump. They could have used his Alolan family to help him deal with it. SM038 could have been Ash working with Riolu and overcoming this slump, but nope. Its mostly Goh focus.

All of this...All of this is why I just don't enjoy Goh as a protagonist.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Seems fun.

1) Brock :- Not really dislike but he made a very bad impression at first. I vaguely remember a scene in the first season where he was commenting about Officer Jenny's skirt. I was also a kid back then and was watching it on telly. I was afraid my parents would see this so I turned off the TV and never watched Pokemon for years again. Now I'm good with him but I surely never liked him at the start.

2) Dawn's Piplup :- No doubt my least favorite Pokemon in the entire anime. Always acts like a little sh%t. The time he bullied Cyndaquill was the deal breaker. Dawn's team was so good otherwise but Piplup ruined it.

3) Lillie :- Officially my least favorite character in the entire in the anime. I really liked her at first and thought the material from the games would be adapted in the anime. That is until her focus episodes started following the same formula of

Lillie scared of Pokemon -> Something happens -> Lillie grows sad -> Lillie touches Pokemon.

The part that I truly disliked was that they undid all the progress in the previous episode so that she can scream at the aspect of touching Pokemon in the next episode. You can show her progress easily but the priorities of this show about characterisation and humour are baffling. A scream was more important than writing.

Then we come to the Aether arc which is my least favorite part in the anime. There are blatant attempts to copy the games without actually having the depth of the games. First, Lillie doesn't even takes care of Nebby and gives it to Ash. But still, we were given a 'emotional' goodbye between Lillie and Nebby because .... ? Also, in the games Lillie says "I hate you" to her mother because she was treated like an object by her mother to co sole her own feelings of loss. In the anime, however, Lusamine is a loving mother and Lillie hates her because she gives her too much attention. Okay, some children don't like being spoiled. But she hates Lusamine because she evolves her own Clefairy. Lusamine's own Pokemon. Okay, understandable. Lillie and Clefairy must have a really strong bond. Oh wait, they had a bond which was never foreshadowed. Takes away the e tore meaning of the jumping in front of Clefable scene since there is no real connection the viewer experiences beforehand. Another forced 'emotional' scene. Back to "I hate you". I could neglect all the shortcomings but the real red flag was that Lillie says "I hate you" after Lusamine sacrifices herself to save her children. She was willing to give up her self to Nihelgo and still they did the scene to cheaply copy the success of the games without any of the conflict of the games.

Lillie's memory is the final nail on the coffin. First off, her memory holds no importance before the Aether arc. So trivial that it is not even mentioned when Lillie is supposedly working on her fear. She also doesn't try to get her memory back in the many years between the incident with Nihelgo and Aether arc. Neither does anyone in her family surprisingly. But Mission : Total Recall is where they reached the end point. That episode stained the entirety of SM for me (I already don't like SM all that much and then this happened). Lillie gets her memory back because she found out Silvally (or Null) was saving her. She instantly hugs Silvally.

A war veteran suffers from PTSD.

His brother comes and says "Hey man. Those bullets were fake. It was all a stage play dude".

The war veteran, without a shred of doubt, starts polishing his guns.

Do note that the war veteran started hearing voices when he heard the word guns, deaths etc. But is suddenly in one second okay with all of that and actually embraces it.

They resolved her PTSD or Phobia (or whatever they failed to represent) in a completely jarring way. They treated it like a gag before Aether so they can get cheap laughs. They suddenly made her memory an important plot point and resolved it in two seconds. Then they completely insulted people who suffer from phobia or PTSD by making her overcome her whatever in 2 seconds and start hugging Silvally. Then they made sure the insult went through by making her play with Pokemon in the next episode. Then they made Parent - Child relation ship a joke. At this point, I don't even want to write about her Z ring and Z crystals. I have no empathy, respect, or anything that even remotely resembles goodwill towards her or anyone who decided to write her like this. What takes years for people to overcome was done in an instant. Everything in the show warrants my hate for Lillie.

Last edited:
Harley : He's too childish, stalking, and so stupid, I can't believe he made that attempt at humiliation in his first vs may contest...

Cilan : Could you stop talking about comparing everything to damn food? He is a pretty boring character, he only stood out by defeating Trip, nothing more

Burgundy : .....

Lillie : Bored, they spoiled everything good about their game version