• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Real-world locations mentioned in Pokémon

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The Pokémon franchise sometimes makes references to places in the real world, implying that they live in our world, but in a different dimension. Here are some noteworthy references to real-world locations:

• Rapidash's Dex entries saying it can jump over Ayers Rock (Uluru) in one leap, or Tokyo Tower in the Japanese versions.
  • Arcanine being worshipped as a legendary Pokémon in China.
  • Mew being discovered in Guyana in South America.
  • Meowth going to Hollywood in the anime episode "Go West Young Meowth", which was incidentally the episode which explained how he learned to talk.
  • Misty fantasizing about going to France in another early anime episode. (This was many years before Kalos was even a thing.)
  • The Team Rocket scientist complaining about being sent to the Tiksi branch in "Russian no-man's land".
  • In one episode of the Black & White anime, Cilan says that while it was practising its Aqua Jet attack, Oshawott "wanted to go to Japan, but instead reached China". (This was only in the Hindi dub, though.)
  • An exhibit in the Pewter Science Museum refers to the real-life moon landing in 1969. ("Real world" doesn't just mean Earth; it can mean our entire solar system and universe too.)
There may be some others that I missed, so if I have, please do tell me! :D

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Raichu's Pokédex entries say it can knock out even an Indian elephant with its high-voltage attacks. This could count as both a reference to a place in the real world and a real-world animal.

This one's a bit more subtle, but Delibird's Dex entries say it once helped someone climb the world's tallest mountain. This highly implies that Delibird went to the top of Mt. Everest, which is of course the highest mountain in the world.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
A Silph Co. employee mentions the corporation to have a Tiksi branch.

That's in Russia, right? I don't remember the exact piece of dialogue, but I had heard somewhere that the company was implied to have branches in other countries.

Yeah, he was complaining about being sent to "Russian no-man's land".

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The Kanto region literally having the same name as the Kanto region

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
You mean the real-life Kanto region in Japan?
Correct as at time generation 1 and 2 was supposed to be took placed in our own world in the 1996-2000's but slowly getting less interested in that aspect as time progress