1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Real-world places you’d like to see as Pokémon regions

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Feb 22, 2019.

1. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

So far, the Pokémon world has seven known regions, all based on a place in the real world:

• Kanto - Kanto region (Japan)
    • Johto - Kansai region (Japan)
    • Hoenn - Kyushu region (Japan)
    • Sinnoh - Hokkaido region (Japan)
    • Unova - New York (USA)
    • Kalos - Paris (France)
    • Alola - Hawaii (USA)
    • Galar - Britain
    Of course, this is only a very small percentage of the world so far, and there’s no doubt that future generations will introduce more regions based on other parts of the world. So what countries or other real-world places would you like to see as a region in the Pokémon world in future games?

Here’s a few which I want to see:
    • Australia - this seems a popular choice for a region, given its varied wildlife that’s seen nowhere else in the world. We already have Komala, a koala Pokémon, but it would feel way more at home in the hypothetical Australian-inspired region than in Alola, which is Hawaiian. The legendaries could be based on Aboriginal Australian legends, and some locations could be inspired by Sydney, Bondi Beach and Uluru (Ayers Rock).
    • Canada - A favourite one of mine. We could have moose and beaver Pokémon (though we have Bibarel for the latter), and in the winter, everything would freeze over and basically make the region one big Ice Cave. The legendaries could be based on Native Canadian legends, and the biggest city would be based on Toronto, with the Pokémon world’s version of the CN Tower. And all the trainers could be hockey players. :D
    • Spain - this seemed a likely option for Gen 8, given Ash’s outfit in the 21st Pokémon movie, but of course that turned out to be false. If we do get a Spain region someday however, maybe the fossils could be based on the Altamira cave paintings?
    • Mexico - the Day of the Dead makes for some great opportunities for new Pokémon. The legends could be based on Mexican legends like the Chupacabra, or Day of the Dead sugar skulls.
    • Britain - I’ve always wanted to see my home country as a Pokémon region. It could be right across the Channel from Kalos, and some Kalos Pokémon could have alternate forms not unlike those found in Alola. The legends could be based on Celtic or Viking legends, and we could have Pokéhenge, the Pokémon world’s answer to Stonehenge. The biggest city would be based on London, with an analogue for all the famous landmarks like Big Ben and the London Eye.
    ---
    EDIT: Britain as a region confirmed! Finally I can say I live in the Pokémon world. ;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. AgentKallus

AgentKallus ♪ Doh doh doh ♪

There's a youtube person who makes real countries into fan-made pokemon regions, I'd recommend his channel.

Unto the topic at hand, I'd rather region based on smaller areas like the japan based regions than regions like kalos which is based on more than half of France.

I'd like to see all the constituent countries of the United Kingdom, especially Wales. Thought London is London and I'd hope it wouldn't take up too much of any England based region because London is an odd one in out in British cities and the real London is way too hectic for me. Being from the south west of England I'd love to see a Bristol based town with an Edward Teach inspired gym leader or a Dick Turpin one for York or a Robin of Loxley one in Nottingham or maybe they could be some sort of villain team considering that they are all outlaws. I'd like to some African inspired regions as well maybe based off of parts of Tanzania or Egypt. Speaking of Egpyt some other areas with classical history like Greece or Italy would be good as well. Mexico, Peru and different parts of Scandinavia also spring to mind.

3. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko 62 Days Until SwSh!!! :D

I'll second and third and fourth and a billionth this to infinity.

Anyway... well... I'd like all kinds of countries to have Pokemon regions based off of them. But at the present time, I just want a cold region. In other words, a region based on Alaska or Scandinavia would make me ecstatic.

NovaBrunswick and AgentKallus like this.
  4. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

Personally I've always wanted to see this particular idea become a region in a Pokemon game.

An East Asia region that comprises of China's Shandong Peninsula, the Korean Peninsula, the Ryukyu Islands, the Kyushu Island of Japan and if we can stretch it a bit, Taiwan. I think it'd be perfect for a Wind Waker-style of travelling in a Pokemon game where you see various cultures in just one game.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  5. NovaBrunswick

I also agree, we’ve had quite a lot of tropical regions. The last ‘cold’ region we had was Sinnoh.

Hoenn is already based on Kyushu, but it could be revisited as part of the hypothetical East Asian region.

6. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ "Christina"

Id like a regular based off of the great lakes region , or at least the 3 biggest of the great lakes

WishIhadaManafi5 and Dragalge like this.
  7. SapphireRose

SapphireRose Morning☼Sun

I really like this idea as long as they don't mimic the deadly conditions and creatures of Australia *too* closely, lol. Also... can you imagine how beautiful they could make the area inspired by the Great Barrier Reef?
    This idea is cool (intended; I'm sorry). The only thing is that I hope they wouldn't make Ice the sole Pokémon type available during the winter. I'd really love to see a moose Pokémon. The image I have of one in my head is so derpy and cute.
    Yes, a thousand times yes! Ever since Coco, I've been in love with Chupacabras and would love to see more of them in pop culture. Also, is it weird that I kinda want a Pokémon based off a tomato?
    As someone who's dreamed of visiting England for a really long time, this would be a decent way to tide me over until I can actually go there someday.

Egypt would be SO neat. They could have little sphinx-based Pokémon and incorporate Egyptian mythology quite easily since their gods are largely based on animalistic figures. I also think Greece and Italy would work well. The plot could delve into their extensive histories easily.

I'm so biased toward this since I'm a Michigander, but yaaas, please. And it's mind-blowing to me that the Great Lakes are being suggested. Kinda made my day, so thank you :)

As for my own suggestion... I dunno if it'd be too similar to the regions already based on Japanese locations, but I'd like to see some Chinese representation. I'm biased here too cuz I'm half Chinese... I've visited Shanghai a couple times, though, and it's a really cool city that would be great in a Pokémon game. It has its traditional Chinese parts and unique skyline, but it's also been influenced architecturally by many European countries, France and Germany for example. I feel like it could have a best-of-both-worlds (in this case the worlds would be Europe and Asia) thing going on.

8. Monster Guy

Monster Guy Slurpuff and Alcremie both deserve love

I’d like to see Italy as a Pokémon Region.

Also Florida, but I don’t know how you’d differentiate it from the other tropical regions...

9. NovaBrunswick

We could have fish Pokémon based on a clownfish and a Royal Blue Tang, famous from Finding Nemo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We’ve just had Hawaii, which is kind of similar to Florida, though I think Hawaii is wetter than Florida.

10. SapphireRose

SapphireRose Morning☼Sun

Yeeesss, give me my Nemo, Marlin, and Dory Pokemon. :3 I like the way you think!

Alaska could be interesting to have as a region too. Might be similar to Canada, though.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  11. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

I wonder if we'll get a region that's not based on anything

12. NovaBrunswick

Like a totally new, original region that doesn’t have a basis in the real world?

13. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Yes, that's precisely what I mean

14. keithpetrosky

keithpetrosky Well-Known Member

Focus on outer space, being we now have ultra beasts. Anyone want to ride Rayquaza?

15. NovaBrunswick

OR/AS does let you fly into space on Rayquaza, but only to fight Deoxys, so it isn’t really the first time you can go to space in a Pokémon game. It could be cool to visit different planets and see what kinds of strange new Pokémon live on each of them.

janejane6178 and keithpetrosky like this.
  16. AgentKallus

AgentKallus ♪ Doh doh doh ♪

I guess we don't need to hope for a british region anymore. I'm very pleased with this development.

17. NovaBrunswick

I called it! :D

AgentKallus likes this.
  18. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ "Christina"

I still would like a region based off of the great lakes region

Orphalesion and NovaBrunswick like this.
  19. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

I would love to see a region based on Australia. I think version exclusive Platypus and Echidna lines would be great.

20. NovaBrunswick

Aren’t Psyduck and Cyndaquil kind of based on a platypus and an echidna respectively? Doesn’t mean they can’t make another Pokemon of the same species - we have two rabbits with Buneary and Scorbunny.