• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Real-world places you’d like to see as Pokémon regions

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
If Mexico's theme could be Space you know what Australia's theme should be? DREAMS! Many aboriginal peoples of Australia had a lot of beliefs related to dreams and so it should be a dream-themed title like I don't know, Pokemon Dream Version & Pokemon Nightmare Version. Now I know what your thinking, Cresselia and Darkrai but the Space theme has been done again through creation myths after Rayquaza and Deoxys so it's not that hard to imagine it again as legendary mascots.

I was thinking it could maybe be called Day and Night Versions, though Sun & Moon kind of already fits the day and night theme.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I was thinking it could maybe be called Day and Night Versions, though Sun & Moon kind of already fits the day and night theme.
What about Pokemon Spring Version and Pokemon Winter Version. Although Australia is a hot summer place, it's dream world variant on the other hand could be something else entirely, deserts turned into lush flower fields for Spring version and into icy cold snowy landscapes in the Winter Version.

derekrandall

Ever since that fake Platypus starter was going around a few months ago a region based on Australia sounds like it could be very cool! Besides that I always loved the anime arc when Ash and friends went to the Orange Islands, so that could be fun - but it might be alittle to similar to the Alola islands. I’d also love a tropical/rainforest region based on the Amazon. The local “gang” could be indigenous tribes

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
What about Pokemon Spring Version and Pokemon Winter Version. Although Australia is a hot summer place, it's dream world variant on the other hand could be something else entirely, deserts turned into lush flower fields for Spring version and into icy cold snowy landscapes in the Winter Version.

Again, we kind of already had the seasons theme in Unova, though a Summer and Winter Version could be cool. Like how you can travel between Alola in different versions in Sun and Moon, you can visit the Winter world from the Summer world and vice versa via a portal.

Ever since that fake Platypus starter was going around a few months ago a region based on Australia sounds like it could be very cool! Besides that I always loved the anime arc when Ash and friends went to the Orange Islands, so that could be fun - but it might be alittle to similar to the Alola islands. I’d also love a tropical/rainforest region based on the Amazon. The local “gang” could be indigenous tribes

The annoying first-route Pokémon could be a dingo, a wild dog that is widespread around Australia and is seen by some as a nuisance. It could be a Dark/Normal type. The regional bird could be a kookaburra or a budgie, and it could be Fairy/Flying to counter the dingo’s Dark type. After seeing the Disney movie Moana, I thought the legendaries could be based on the volcano and earth deities, with one geared towards destruction (Fire/Rock or Fire/Ground) and the other geared more towards construction (Grass/Fairy), though I think Moana is set in New Zealand and not Australia, and it would be a bit too much like Alola anyway.

Remember how I said Canada could be cool as a region? People like to joke that it’d be basically like Snowpoint City in Sinnoh with permanent snow and ice, but Canada does have some variety in its landscapes and geography. Someone even made a thread on this forum many years ago that Sinnoh was based on Canada, although it mostly takes inspiration from Hokkaido in Japan. I made this collage of the different states/provinces around Canada so you can see the diversity of its landscapes:

tumblr_ppa68j6KfM1tf8v2oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ppa68j6KfM1tf8v2oo2_1280.jpg

pokefreakceetje

The place where mew originated

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I have to admit that I too have long wanted a Australia region. I am kind of glad they didn't choose it for the first new region on the Switch though, to truly capture the spectacle and vastness of Australia I'd want the game makers to be well practiced at making console pokemon games. Representing an entire continent in one game might be a bit much to ask for though...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The place where mew originated

Guyana?

I have to admit that I too have long wanted a Australia region. I am kind of glad they didn't choose it for the first new region on the Switch though, to truly capture the spectacle and vastness of Australia I'd want the game makers to be well practiced at making console pokemon games. Representing an entire continent in one game might be a bit much to ask for though...

I’m glad that Britain was chosen as the first Switch region. Now I can pretend I’m on my own Pokémon adventure. :D

pokefreakceetje

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I know a good place to turn into a Pokemon region.

Appalachia.

Orphalesion

Remember how I said Canada could be cool as a region?

Not just Guyana, but the whole of South America could work as a region in itself.

No, no, Canada and South America would both be terrible as "a region". They are both much too large and diverse to be represented by just one region you'd have whole environments and landscapes condensed down into one town or route or left out altogether. Look at Kalos, France was already too large for a region and they ended up cutting out the best part of the country.

One of the provinces of Canada (I'm partial to B.C., as the only place in Canada I've been to) or one of the Smaller South American countries (like Guyana) would be a much better base for a region, imho.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
No, no, Canada and South America would both be terrible as "a region". They are both much too large and diverse to be represented by just one region you'd have whole environments and landscapes condensed down into one town or route or left out altogether. Look at Kalos, France was already too large for a region and they ended up cutting out the best part of the country.

One of the provinces of Canada (I'm partial to B.C., as the only place in Canada I've been to) or one of the Smaller South American countries (like Guyana) would be a much better base for a region, imho.

Ontario would probably work the best as a region as it mixes both urban and natural landscapes, but it would be a lot like Unova (Unova is based on New York City, and the largest city in Ontario - and Canada - is Toronto, which is a LOT like NYC in terms of population and size). BC could be a contender as well for its mountains, rainforests and big cities.

shoz999

You know. Outside of space-travel and dreams, there is one place that a region hasn't really explored as a major theme. Virtual Reality and honestly I think this would be a great theme to explore in South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and even Japan again for the fifth time since their known for being very hi-tech countries. Also it would be the perfect opportunity to introduce a new potential Pokemon Type, the virtual/digital type which is perfect for the Porygon line.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
You know. Outside of space-travel and dreams, there is one place that a region hasn't really explored as a major theme. Virtual Reality and honestly I think this would be a great theme to explore in South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and even Japan again for the fifth time since their known for being very hi-tech countries. Also it would be the perfect opportunity to introduce a new potential Pokemon Type, the virtual/digital type which is perfect for the Porygon line.
Seems kind of superfluous given Pokemon lore is all about real, physical worlds/dimensions. How could a region focused on virtual reality integrate all that past lore? No region's lore has abandoned previous regions, usually they expand on it in various ways. Even Porygon's lore is mostly about bringing a digital creation into the physical world.

That said, we know that virtual reality is very advanced in the Pokemon world. Festival Plaza was all about it being a virtual reality environment.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
My question is even if GF would decide on creating a Virtual/Digital Pokemon Type, what would be the characteristics be for a Pokémon to be classified as that type? Having to be artificial? If that’s the case then Castform, Mewtwo, the Golett line, possibly Baltoy line, and Magearna fit that criteria. But they aren’t really Virtual or Digital. Only the Porygon line fits. Plus what moves would be considered that type other than maybe Signal Beam and the Conversion moves? I think Plaza Festival is VR enough for us.

shoz999

Seems kind of superfluous given Pokemon lore is all about real, physical worlds/dimensions. How could a region focused on virtual reality integrate all that past lore? No region's lore has abandoned previous regions, usually they expand on it in various ways. Even Porygon's lore is mostly about bringing a digital creation into the physical world.

That said, we know that virtual reality is very advanced in the Pokemon world. Festival Plaza was all about it being a virtual reality environment.
I'm talking about like Ultra Space, you get to explore a Virtual World alongside the region.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I've recently become really interesting in Australia and just Oceania in general really, so I think Game Freak should consider basing an upcoming region on that area of the world. I fear that we'll get complaints of "too much water", however.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I've recently become really interesting in Australia and just Oceania in general really, so I think Game Freak should consider basing an upcoming region on that area of the world. I fear that we'll get complaints of "too much water", however.

Oceania shares a lot of its culture with Alola (Hawaii), so it’d be a bit too similar if they were only going for the Pacific islands. Australia could work as it has beaches, vast deserts and big cities, as would New Zealand with all its rainforests and mountains.

New Mexico, USA.

Lots of interesting geography. Snow-capped mountains, deserts, white sand dunes, sweeping canyon vistas, wildflower plains, forests, etc. The largest hot air balloon festival in the world. Unique house designs.

We’ve already had Unova and Alola (and Orre, which was based on Arizona), so I think America should get a rest for at least the next two generations. I do want a Canada region though… :D

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
Since we've had 4 regions in an island in Asia 1 in continential North America one thats located in Oceania but admistrered as part of a North American Country and one continetial European on and one thats an island in Europe. We're still lacking continential Asia, South & Central America & Africa.
For Africa my ideal location for a region would be Egypt with it's mythology and culture + mostly a desert region would be different from all the other regions. Other great ideas are the unique island of Madagascar. The rainforests of Congo. The Iconic Savannas of Countries like Kenya & South Africa
For South America I'd prefer Peru since it's got the native Inca history & many kinds of different biomes. Or Costa Rica which also has many different kinds of biomes. Though the first South American region we'll get is 99 % likely to be Brazil with it's iconicity & the large Japanese population.
For Continential Asia there are many kinds of different options from the beautiful steppes & mountains of Central western asia (Countries like Uzbekistan & Kazakhstan for example) to many different varied biomes & cultures of India to The tropicak rainforets of the southwestetn countries like Thailand and Vietnam to an interesting mix of traditions & modernity we could explore in either China or South Korea.
TLDR For the next region I'd prefer a place with many different biomes & beautiful Nature + a culture that offers a great mix of traditions & modernity.