• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Reasoning for people to start playing the TCG again

Yeah i just got back into the scene again....I stopped collecting after Neo Revelation...I even threw away my cards. :(

But, I found most of my old ones from the net and bought some new ones....Thing is that the closest league is like 15 miles away from me and i don't think I'll have time to get there....So idk what to do...I still love the game and it's still fun to play.

DrWho

Time traveler
See if you can find fellow players and see if they can give you a ride every time.
I know a lot of people who do that at my league.

liquid

Beginning Trainer
I can say from personal experience exactly why the game has experienced a sudden resurgence. All those kids that collected the cards when they were very young (i.e. too young to actually play and understand the game) have grown up, and are starting to revisit parts of their childhood.

This is exactly what has happened to me, I found a couple of old cards and decided to go out and buy a new booster pack. Soon after I found out some of my friends had recently done the same, and so we started playing. I'd imagine there are people with similar stories to ours all over, so I think that's one of the reasons for the sudden increase in popularity.

Lucario Master Chris

Master of Psychics
I got out of it just after the release of EX: Sandstorm. The cards just seemed so over powered that I just lost intrest, but since the releace of the Diamond & Pearl sets came out I've been bying them like crazy. A league opened up not to far from where I live and I'm going to get to go to a league for the first time ever. EEEEEEEEEEEEE. :D

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
I had 20 bucks and I wanted to get back into it. I stoped playing when the R/S/E cards came out becouse i didn't really care for it.

ShinxesAreCute

I srsy am a Shinx
I don't even know how to play the actual TCG, I just collect the cards. I got like maybe three booster packs last year, and I actually hit gold, because in one of those three was a Rayquasa card. I also have a Mew and a Celebi.

cloudman

hello, im kinda new to this forum but not to pkm in general..... i quit the tcg when R/S came out... things where way too different and changing really fast plus i got interested in other TCG's such as YGO..... and i kinda wanna get back in, cuz the cards look cool and seemed like a really fun game to play. if anyone here can give me the "run down" of the current game that would be great
Thanks,
Cloudman

Last edited:

Cold_CG

Young Gentleman
I bought the TCG Advent calendar from Toys R Us (pretty cute!) and since then I'm itching to begin playing again. Maybe I'll do this summer, when I have some more money and spare time. I still have all my old cards, but I understand they can't be used anymore...

What's definitely uncool however is that the nearest league is 3 hours aways by car.

windkirby

On the contrary to some of the above posts, I actually am feeling inclined to get back into the TCG a bit (a bit), but I'm only concerned by the newer cards - am I the only one who feels that the new cards are actually much more powerful that the older ones? It seems like several go above 120, which used to be the absolute limit, didn't it? This was okay for ex's since they have the card rule, but I feel like some of these newer SP's and Lv. X's are kind of ridiculous... Almost like they're trying to cash in with the rare cards so people buy more boosters. Does anyone else feel the same way?

At any rate, I still may get into it again, build a few decks based around the Gen 1 gym leaders. Still, I'm wondering if people share my concerns.

pkmntrjk6

Charizard fan
On the contrary to some of the above posts, I actually am feeling inclined to get back into the TCG a bit (a bit), but I'm only concerned by the newer cards - am I the only one who feels that the new cards are actually much more powerful that the older ones? It seems like several go above 120, which used to be the absolute limit, didn't it? This was okay for ex's since they have the card rule, but I feel like some of these newer SP's and Lv. X's are kind of ridiculous... Almost like they're trying to cash in with the rare cards so people buy more boosters. Does anyone else feel the same way?

At any rate, I still may get into it again, build a few decks based around the Gen 1 gym leaders. Still, I'm wondering if people share my concerns.

i totally agree when i first saw the new cards i thought there were joking, some are way to strong but thats the way it is. But if they make the new cards even more powerfull then the DP series the Numbers will start becoming like Yu-gi -oh.

Anyways I just sold almost all my old cards for a good bit of money but i have some of the DP series cards and a pretty awesome deck. i think pokemon is picking back up because its beating out the other tcg's with its sense of unique style and gameplay. where the player is limited only by his lack of imagination and skill to be the best, not by his cards or decks. If u keep trying u can come up with endless variations of decks and strategies.

Bluelatios*

...*sigh*, well I have had a sad 10 years of Pokemon card collecting. The nearest league is 45 minutes away: just outside a reasonable driving time for my parents who have never been a fan of it and think its sort of a waste of time and money :(. GAAAH, its so frusterating knowing I could have so much fun if I was just a little closer! I am 16, but am not comfortable with driving myself, and only have a few friends to play with me, both are losing interest very fast due to all the newer Pokemon cards being stronger and "cheap" ocmpared to originals

I think that the game is dead. The designers just only repeat drawing pictures of Pokemon and delude us into buying their products. The cards become more and more meaningless. I just can't imagine there are 40 types of pikachu cards released. The monsters are the same and their work is only to redraw and redraw with some new attacks. Dark, ex, delta, lv x , each of these new cards can't last long. I am furoius how they release so many promo cards and annoy our collectors. Have Mcdonald meal, take the JR train, Watch movie, buy magazines......... sick of them. They are pure 100% businessmen, trying to belie their cunning smiles with cute pictures.

Surfing_Pikachu

I quit because the game is mean to collectors. If there was one card for every single Pokemon, I'd be perfectly fine with that. But no. They had to chug out dozens different versions of each one making a total of OVER 9000. From what I see, it has only gotten worse. I won't be joining again anytime soon.

pokemonmasterhustler

Pokemon Master
I actually believe that the games never died, logically if it did the packs would've stopped being released! I used to be an addict but gave up for a few years and am currently trying to get back into it! ^_^ Also unlike yugioh which can confuse little kids and require more effort pokemon is for everyone childeren can easily understand how to play and adults can have time for it! What else do you need to know to start playing?

Last edited:
The main reasoning that I have been getting back into the tcg was actually serebii adding a cardex to the site. I had stopped collecting around when they released all those neo sets, because there seemed to be too many sets all up, and because the artwork in neo genesis was terrible (like how many of the images didnt even look serious).

I had previously tried to come back into the tcg only to find that there was OVER9000 new types of cards (pokemon ex, delta, shiny, crystal, reverse holos, holons, Lv X) which was somewhat confusing. But Ive been poking around the cardex for a while learning about the new sets and new types of cards and i am actually interested in trying to collect all the sets i've missed. ;123;

Last edited:

ReidonX139

Im lucky. I quit because I was tired of playing myself, this was a long time ago.

Recently started hanging out with some friends, one of them has been into Pokemon his whole life, and we all started doing UU matches on WiFi (not me yet, have yet to fix up my team) and playing the TCG. Going to the local pre-release on the 23rd, cant wait.

Shide

I quit after R/S because my parents said I could play pokemon, or yugioh, but not both.

Now that I have my own money and such, I decided to pick up pokemon instead of blowing it all on candy and soda one day when I was in Newbury Comics and overheard some kids talking about SV.

I like the game alot more now. It's more complex, but only if you put the complexion into your deck, which I like.

GreenAiden555

Up For Trade P.M Me
I just tarted to play again with my girlfriend who just got into it for the first time. I started back in base set, and I quit when Expi came out, 'cause WotC got a little crazy (I think) with card designs. I picked it up again in EX magma and aqua, and drifted out after hidden legends.

I've been in it for a little over a month.

I have more than 5 decks planned out.