• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Reasoning for people to start playing the TCG again

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
I have alot of cards but I never had anyone to play with... That all changed with the introduction of Pokemon TCG online! Now you can register your deck and use it online! This is great for those who want to play the game but have no one to play with!

OthersiderME

Captain Obvious
My friend and I played the TCGO trainer challenge and beat all 4 leagues then played against each other in real life. Now we've assembled a group of about 12 people to have a tournament.

Pokemom

TCG Gym Leader, Ret.
We need to find some way of "friending" on TCGO.....

I started playing late in 1999, ran a WotC league from June 2002-July 2004, have collected all the cards in both 1st ed and regular release (with most also in JAP) from Base1 though Neo2, and heartily enjoyed playing, but found myself 2 hours from the nearest league when I moved off to go to college.

Now my 7 year old has discovered Pokemon and is avid in the games (first GB Blue, now DS SoulSilver) and has benefited from my otherwise useless cards in learning the TCG. I picked up the three Unova Starter theme decks for TCGO and for Christmas she got 2 of the 2011 TCG Worlds decks.

Pity the local leagues are somewhat non-entities...every time I call the numbers listed by Nintendo the store people say they know nothing about it :(

FE21

Reason for people to start playing Pokemon TCG again: It's fun. A plain simple duh answer, but the reason I play it.

ColyTom

I recently got back into Pokemon, starting with the anime, then I started playing Pearl again and then I bought Black.

I then bought some booster packs and I'm really keen to start playing properly. The only person I've ever played is my little sister.

G50

No longer posting
I've always liked the Trading Cards, but never really learned how to play with them, so stopped for awhile. Within the last year I finally learned how to play, and now play it too often :D

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
I just bought Black and White Cards, as I always get cards of a Gen before buying the games (I bought EX Ruby and Sapphire, EX Emerald, EX Unseen Forces, Bought Sapphire(Game), Got Diamond and Pearl Piplup, got Games, Bought HG (EX Unseen Forces I count as this one 's pre-game TCG pack) and then I bought some HG cards and now BW cards).

P.S: I am thinking of having a Championship at my school, so that I can localize any Rare cards and add them to my collection (doesn 't this seem like Rare Hunters from Yu-Gi-Oh?)

Last edited:

GilligBoi

Because playing the TGCO demo made me miss the game. That and it is cheap to play.

I started playing and buying the tcg stuff because i had gotten back into the anime and i wanted to get some cards. Simple as that.

I used to just collect, and then had a quick go around Stormfront. But I live in Ireland and there are no tournaments around here.

Gillig

I got tired of yugioh and it's loop decks.

I also prefer the environment with pokemon. You can chill at league or compete if you want. Yugioh doesn't have as much casual play and players are much more competitive. I also like it because it is significantly cheaper to play a good deck. I think my current deck cost me about 40$ to make and it is a very good deck.

Mega Typhlosion

I play Pokémon TCG since Base Set (proud owner of the full collection - took me God knows what to get them all) and I have had my ons and offs mainly because I'm from Portugal which means nobody plays this and there are no tournaments and no events for Pokémon. So, when I found out that they were making an online game I started playing again and it's like coming back a few years. Too bad I can't reproduce my old decks (with my beautiful Salamence EX) but I've been having a great time, specially since I can buy codes for 5 times less money than a booster.

I did no more than collecting during the Platinum editions (I'm still trying to get them all complete) but I haven't played since the first EX series. Now they're back! Time to play!

PS: Hope they can get the trading back soon as well as making some tournaments.

SpoinkyPearl

I've never played seriously. I've only bought Theme Decks (from EX series only) to get enough Energy cards and, well, just to have something basic around so I could play with friends. Unfortunately, I've had no friends who are interested in TCG and there's no leagues or anything around here. But! I was in a small con this weekend and there were Pokémon TCG players there and I kinda got my enthusiasm back. We have sometimes talked with my boyfriend how we should play with my old cards and stuff but not done it. Now we both are rather interested with "starting again" and we are going to buy new BW Theme Decks and start playing with all new cards and stuff. But we have to re-learn the rules and play some trial rounds with the old cards before buying new ones :D We are not going to go serious and buy boosters and stuff but play with friends and just to have fun.

Zamin

I really want to get into it, I have got a couple of B/W decks that I got a few months ago and I want to start collecting Noble Victories :D

The only thing is I have nobody to play against and there is no leagues in my area or anything which sucks.

⊙ᴗ⊙
My friends and I were at a classic car show a while back and during one of our rounds we decided to stop inside the local game shop to browse their wares and get out of the heat. After some really weird conversations, the revelation that we all had money, and the realization that were all bored, we all decided to buy a couple starter decks and play matches against each other to pass the time. We were all happy to discover that the game hadn't changed much since the last we played, and now we've begun bringing the cards to each other's houses and having matches against each other.

I've looked into leagues, and while there is a few in my area, I probably won't have the time to go with college starting up again soon. I do look forward to and enjoy the times I get to play with my friends though, and maybe one day I'll have the time swing by and check out a league.

JYoung

For me it's the collecting aspect of the game that appeals to me. Yes I'll play games and compete but I like collecting things, it gives me a sense of accomplishment and excitement filling up my collection.

I left the TCG around the Next Destinies - Dark Explorers time. Now seeing the TCGO I'm planning on getting back into it soon. Not the TCG though, the TCGO. The TCG is just pretty damn expensive if you play competitively, which I did. It can also be a pain carrying binders of cards around, making it to the tournaments, etc;

One thing I saw a few days ago that kinda put me back on the fence is this new card I had never seen before. I forget the name, but when the guy played it the other player had to guess the friggin height of a pokemon. Like, seriously? The heck nintendo. Cards like that one basically say "Hey everyone come play the Pokemon card game! It takes no skill at all!"