• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Reasons against Gay Marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibrado

of the Shattered Sun
We have gay prides to raise awarenes of gay rights. That's the whole point. Straight people aren't denied marriage or discriminated against, so they don't need a parade.

On top of that, Pride extends to the pride of the history and accomplishments made by the community.

That being said, there's nobody stopping people from having Straight pride and Straight pride parades, except perhaps general apathy by peers.

You're using gay as an adjective for crazy?

It's funny, because this implies something worse than what I thought was originally being implied (i.e. that this person was using "gay" as a synonym for "dumb"). No matter what, the poster is using "gay" as a synonym for something negative.

Faith in human race → negative value. I have to stop posting in, or even reading these threads.

Matrimony is a religious ceremony. Marriage is not.

Marriage is not a religious institution.

Isn't.

Is not.

Not.

What is so hard to understand about this?

Because "most" (arguable) marriages involve a religious component. The stereotype tends to involve a church. Therefore, this is probably why people think marriage is religious... because they're simple.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Yeah but so what? Pick your battles. Slang is not universal region by region so that UD point is invalid. It also should be pointed out that the quote used seems to be at least slightly tongue in cheek.

There are thirty-six pages on the word "gay" in the Urban Dictionary. Silver's region has probably been covered. Besides, my other point still stands regardless; how the heck does the word gay in a specific region come to mean "crazy, not normal" besides stemming from homophobic history?

To be fair I see the problem that using "gay" as a negative word could be frustrating for homosexuals. On the other hand, I just feel that there are bigger, more significant battles to be fought. Words change, and I imagine over time the word "gay" will naturally move out of slang culture.

I'm glad you see the problem. No human problem goes away without human effort. What you see as 'naturally happening' is actually the result of labor on the part of years and years of pro-gay rights activism.

You contradict yourself. You're writing more than I am, picking a battle with somebody on your own side, telling them not to pick little battles and concentrate on the bigger issues. Make up your mind!

Last edited:

Ðãmon Howe

Stop posting DH.
I won't post beyond this because I'll get too passionate and start thinking very bad things about the people here....and I don't like thinking bad things about ya'll, because it hurts.

No, they shouldn't be allowed to marry in the terms that marriage is applied to, which is that of equal stance to the definition of marriage between a man and a woman as God solely intended it.

Legally, they have civil unions. It's the benefits without the bond. They don't need marriage, and by marriage's own definition it is a butchering of said definition.

That is all I will post.

Grey Wind

I won't post beyond this because I'll get too passionate and start thinking very bad things about the people here....and I don't like thinking bad things about ya'll, because it hurts.

No, they shouldn't be allowed to marry in the terms that marriage is applied to, which is that of equal stance to the definition of marriage between a man and a woman as God solely intended it.
Read Ethan's post. Then read it again.

Legally, they have civil unions. It's the benefits without the bond. They don't need marriage, and by marriage's own definition it is a butchering of said definition.

That is all I will post.
As I said earlier, Civil Union isn't nearly the same as marraige for a variety of reasons.

Okay so it's slang. Doesn't change the fact that a) it's not a prescriptive definition and b) the 'slang' version of the word gay is obviously rooted in homophobia. So since the regular dictionary doesn't cover slang:

There we go, a dictionary that covers slang that anybody on the internet can contribute to. There's no excuse to say your region is out of the loop.

Still no source defining the word as "crazy".

Happy, crazy = gay in my view. I'm not the only one who uses gay as another word for crazy, others do as well. I just happen to pick up on it.

But yeah, same thing I said on Pokecommunity: I say "that's so gay" or "you're being gay" alot but I mean it in a different way. When I say "that's so gay" I mean it as in it's dumb/stupid/tacky. When I tell someone that they are "being gay" I mean that they are being crazy/weird/happy etc.

There are thirty-six pages on the word "gay" in the Urban Dictionary. Silver's region has probably been covered. Besides, my other point still stands regardless; how the heck does the word gay in a specific region come to mean "crazy, not normal" besides stemming from homophobic history?

Has probably is not the same as has. My friends and I have loads of words/variations we use which wouldn't be present on that website. Slang makes little sense at the best of times. The fact is, words change, often naturally. Trace the history of the word "F A G". How on earth did that end up as homophobic slang?

I'm glad you see the problem. No human problem goes away without human effort. What you see as 'naturally happening' is actually the result of labor on the part of years and years of pro-gay rights activism.

Yes, as society changes certain words will go out of fashion. It is in the process of naturally happening as people become more educated. I don't think people need to focus upon it precisely because it's eliminating itself. Casual use of the word "gay" on the playground is not building a new wave of homophobic serial killers. The groundwork has been laid via increasing civil rights for gays, I don't dispute that.

You contradict yourself. You're writing more than I am, picking a battle with somebody on your own side, telling them not to pick little battles and concentrate on the bigger issues. Make up your mind!

The use of the word gay is a little issue in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
I'm not saying it is wrong or right, but a lot of people don't like it.

A lot of people don't like broccoli either, yet we still grow and sell it.

Do you have any legal reasons? I only ask because...

Legally, they have civil unions. It's the benefits without the bond.

Civili unions don't offer nearly half of the legal benefits as marriage, nor do civil unions come with the same social recognition and acceptance as marriage does. So no, don't try to equate civil unions with marriage when they aren't the same thing.

They don't need marriage, and by marriage's own definition it is a butchering of said definition.

If gays don't need marriage then you or any other heterosexual doesn't need marriage. Please at least try to see both sides of your poor argument before you post.

And no, including gay couples would not butcher the definition of marriage. it would simply expand it to be more inclusive.

But yeah, same thing I said on Pokecommunity: I say "that's so gay" or "you're being gay" alot but I mean it in a different way. When I say "that's so gay" I mean it as in it's dumb/stupid/tacky. When I tell someone that they are "being gay" I mean that they are being crazy/weird/happy etc.

But you don't see how some people might find it offensive?

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Read Ethan's post. Then read it again.

This.

Also, as I asked pages ago- If it's such a religious thing, why are atheists and adulterers allowed to get married? Why should one religion decide everyone's right when every culture in the world has some form of marriage, regardless of the religion (if any) associated with said culture?

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
A sensible reply

Men and women have strengths and weaknesses that are different. Strengths and weaknesses that are supposed to cover each other, men having some strengths and weaknesses, and women having different strengths and weaknesses. Neither being better, neither being worse, but similar. Women and Men also have different duties, Men generally having roles in government and religious spots, and Women having the duty of raising people to fill those spots. All these characteristics, when nurtured with morals (say following the Ten Commandments, a great example of a moral code) and done in unity are the key to happiness.

Don't say it isn't true.

But you know how good traits overdone can become a bad thing? That's what gayness and lesbianism is, neglecting the good on one side and focusing too much on the other. But sexual matters being as they are, it is a very, very, very serious problem.

As for people who are naturally directed to homosexuality, I have nothing against them. It's just a bigger boon than usual, though thankfully a fixable one and I have the utmost faith that you can, and will recover if you exert yourself.

The question is, why does mankind constantly and efficiently find ways to be more lustful, and then start to legalize it?

WHY?

Last edited:

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
This.

Also, as I asked pages ago- If it's such a religious thing, why are atheists and adulterers allowed to get married? Why should one religion decide everyone's right when every culture in the world has some form of marriage, regardless of the religion (if any) associated with said culture?
You can still get married. Legally almost anyone can get married.

And I see you didn't read Ethan's Post. Marriage isn't controlled by religion, only Matrimony is.
However, it seems that churches can't define the difference between the two. I am a solid as stone Methodist-Christian, but I agree that everyone should at least have marriage rights. No church should be able to decide that.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Has probably is not the same as has. My friends and I have loads of words/variations we use which wouldn't be present on that website.

And yet, you and your friends' definitions don't really matter in a debate, because we have sources on official English vocabulary, just like we trust the APA for psychology, or official Pokemon cards as opposed to ones that kids make on their printer.

Slang makes little sense at the best of times. The fact is, words change, often naturally.

This is a cop-out. You can't say that the origin of one word doesn't make sense or is inexplainable; that would invalidate every single response I gave you, even if it was demonstratably right.

Yes, as society changes certain words will go out of fashion. It is in the process of naturally happening as people become more educated. I don't think people need to focus upon it precisely because it's eliminating itself.

That's because gay rights advocates are educating them. Quit picking at my argument and do something productive for what you believe.

Casual use of the word "gay" on the playground is not building a new wave of homophobic serial killers.

Strawman. I never said that it did.

The use of the word gay is a little issue in the grand scheme of things.

Don't you have better things to do than tell me what topics I should and shouldn't be debating? I happen to be an English major who has taken Advanced Grammar, the topic was interesting to me. Your debate of my debating the use of the word gay is even more miniscule of an issue and you should really quit wasting your time on it.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
You can still get married. Legally almost anyone can get married.

And I see you didn't read Ethan's Post. Marriage isn't controlled by religion, only Matrimony is.
However, it seems that churches can't define the difference between the two. I am a solid as stone Methodist-Christian, but I agree that everyone should at least have marriage rights. No church should be able to decide that.

If you read my post before (a few pages back Edit: Page 2, which I guess would actually be several pages back), you would see that I'm agreeing with Ethan's post. Religion shouldn't decide who can get married. I'm fine with religions not wanting certain people being married in their churches, but they should have no say in who can get married. And right now in the U.S., not everyone can legally get married. In many states, homosexuals cannot legally get married. Civil Unions are not marriage.

I'm asking those who think that marriage is only a religious institution why one religion should decide when there are so many religions in the world, many of which have no opinion of homosexuality whatsoever.

Last edited:

Grey Wind

Men and women have strengths and weaknesses that are different. Strengths and weaknesses that are supposed to cover each other, men having some strengths and weaknesses, and women having different strengths and weaknesses. Neither being better, neither being worse, but similar. Women and Men also have different duties, Men generally having roles in government and religious spots, and Women having the duty of raising people to fill those spots. All these characteristics, when nurtured with morals (say following the Ten Commandments, a great example of a moral code) and done in unity are the key to happiness.

Don't say it isn't true.

But you know how good traits overdone can become a bad thing? That's what gayness and lesbianism is, neglecting the good on one side and focusing too much on the other. But sexual matters being as they are, it is a very, very, very serious problem.

As for people who are naturally directed to homosexuality, I have nothing against them. It's just a bigger boon than usual, though thankfully a fixable one and I have the utmost faith that you can, and will recover if you exert yourself.

The question is, why does mankind constantly and efficiently find ways to be more lustful, and then legalize it?

WHY?
There's so many things wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.

First off, it's not a problem. A MAN HAD SEX WITH ANOTHER MAn. Now eighteen babies die. Seriously, does it harm anybody? Is it any of your business if I like men? No, not at all. There is nothing wrong with being gay. Nothing. Judging someone based on who they like in bed is totally wrong.

And what are you talking about 'more lustful'? Being gay doesn't make you more horny, that's idiotic. Of course it should be legalised, what's wrong with falling in love? How would you feel if you worried everyday what people will think f you if you tell them your gay? How would you feel if you were denied marraige? How would you feel being shunned by society for feelings you can't control?

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Happy, crazy = gay in my view. I'm not the only one who uses gay as another word for crazy, others do as well. I just happen to pick up on it.

You've just backed yourself into a corner. Either you are homophobic or just ignorant.

tibrado

of the Shattered Sun
O
I believe that was addressed with the women's rights movement.

And what are you talking about 'more lustful'? Being gay doesn't make you more horny, that's idiotic. Of course it should be legalised, what's wrong with falling in love? How would you feel if you worried everyday what people will think f you if you tell them your gay? How would you feel if you were denied marraige? How would you feel being shunned by society for feelings you can't control?

I think what he means is before, gay people couldn't have sex, so less people would want to have sex, so less people are lustful. Not that that's correct, it's nowhere near that, but that might be what he means.

Don't say it isn't true.

The question is, why does mankind constantly and efficiently find ways to be more lustful, and then start to legalize it?

WHY?

Well, see, the problem with your mindset is that...

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/u26Zp.png[/img139]

Oh. That explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.