• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Reasons for a Serena return in Sword & Shield Anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
No. I like her but I want her to interact with girls in her caliber or above more instead of her relationship with Ash in which I really don't care about him, but I don't believe they would deliver it judging from the issues of the last few series. I rather the producers/writers leave her alone than screwing up further.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
If she were to come back, I'd like to see her to having become more independent when it comes to who she is and taking care of herself, yet still having that ability of cooperativeness with others and being more mature than she was before when it comes to making decisions involving others and stuff like that. Also, a more diverse performance style than just fire fire fire fire fire with some added stone edge and dancing.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I don't really want her back. She's better off traveling alone than being chained down by traveling with Ash.

As for a guest appearance she might appear but I don't think past girl guest appearances are going to happen anymore.

Serena is one of if not THE most popular pokegirl in the anime and the Pokémon company surely knows this. Every female companion (except iris but who cares?) has returned briefly apart from Serena. Because of this and her still immense popularity, I think it is inevitable that Serena returns for at least a couple of episodes in Galar. A return of Serena would be very positively received and would allow us to see how her character has progressed in Hoenn. I just hope they don’t ruin her character when she returns...

Kintaro

Banned
Serena is one of if not THE most popular pokegirl in the anime and the Pokémon company surely knows this. Every female companion (except iris but who cares?) has returned briefly apart from Serena. Because of this and her still immense popularity, I think it is inevitable that Serena returns for at least a couple of episodes in Galar. A return of Serena would be very positively received and would allow us to see how her character has progressed in Hoenn. I just hope they don’t ruin her character when she returns...

Sure, but it's not any different than past pokegirls.

Sure, but it's not any different than past pokegirls.
Basically, I believe that Serena will get at the bare minimum what the other pokegirls have gotten in gen 8. If there is any character that I think could have the potential for a longer return, it would be Serena or Brock; however, I agree that it most definitely will only be for a couple of episodes or maybe a short arc.

Red and Blue

If she doesn't get a special before SM ends I could see her getting one in Galar. If only because I want to see her reaction if Ash doesn't acknowledge the kiss

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't really want her back in all honesty. I'm not a Serena hater by any means, I just don't see the point of it. Even if it's a small comeback that lasts a couple of episodes, it would still seem needless to me other than as bait for more shipping shenanigans. Besides, I don't understand the argument that her chances of coming back are high simply because Galar might be close to Kalos. She was supposed to go to Houen at the end of XY, so I wouldn't expect her to be in Kalos regardless.

Zacian

Every female companion (except iris but who cares?) has returned briefly apart from Serena.

Really? That's a rude thing to say. I like Iris a lot and I care. I prefer tomboyish to girly girls who just dance and forcibly act cute for 99% of the time.

Also Iris had her dedicated special, so she technically returned. Serena had no return, and no special. So much for popularity.

Kintaro

Banned
I like Iris a lot and I care. I prefer tomboyish to girly girls who just dance and forcibly act cute for 99% of the time.

Also Iris had her dedicated special, so she technically returned. Serena had no return, and no special. So much for popularity.

Iris and Cilan specials were intended to be aired right after BW, it's no different than Dawn/Brock's at the end of DP. I don't consider them returns because they were produced during the same series. Iris' special even had BW's animation after we had moved into XY, so it's proof they created it at the same time BW was airing.

I also don't see how Iris is tomboyish, and Dawn was girly too.

There's no reason not to make her return for a small arc like May and Dawn did.
The other thing is that it's unlikely considering anime nowadays feels like an extended commercial and the writers doesn't bring back old characters if they doesn't promote anything. I can't see Serena return unless she's an important NPC in the new SwSh games.

Kintaro

Banned
Old character cameos did pretty much end with Dawn in 2012. Everyone knows Misty/Brock returning in SM was for different circumstances.

I don’t think Lillie or the other SM cast will appear in Gen 8 either. Brock had been gone for 7 years when he made his cameo in 2017, and Misty for 12

Dream Lad

Banned
I don't really want her back in all honesty. I'm not a Serena hater by any means, I just don't see the point of it. Even if it's a small comeback that lasts a couple of episodes, it would still seem needless to me other than as bait for more shipping shenanigans. Besides, I don't understand the argument that her chances of coming back are high simply because Galar might be close to Kalos. She was supposed to go to Houen at the end of XY, so I wouldn't expect her to be in Kalos regardless.

I wouldn't mind her being a full-blown companion again simply because she has a blank slate of a goal. Only reason she rejected training under Palermo was because she wanted to gain life experience. The best way to do that is traveling with Ash.

-------

I wonder if they are not bringing her back because they don't know how to the address the elephant in the room.

I wouldn't mind her being a full-blown companion again simply because she has a blank slate of a goal. Only reason she rejected training under Palermo was because she wanted to gain life experience. The best way to do that is traveling with Ash.

-------

I wonder if they are not bringing her back because they don't know how to the address the elephant in the room.
Serena’s goal is still to become Kalos Queen, a goal she needs to be in kalos to complete. She went to Hoenn to try contests just for experience. Honestly, unless Galar has showcases or contests, there really isn’t a good reason for her to return. It would just be for the fans which makes me worried about things like character progression. Also, if she returns, the writers will have to make a decision on whether to address the kiss from xyz47. There is no way I can be convinced that Ash is so dense that he doesn’t understand what Serena’s feelings towards him are. Ultimately, this is a kids show and this kiss scene complicates her return immensely. It would be poor writing to simply ignore the fact that it happened but far easier to and something that I think would likely happen.

Kintaro

Banned

-------

That’s exactly why. Serena can’t just come back for a hi and by cameo like Misty/May/Dawn.

Even Dawn’s cameo in BW was rather forced as there were no Contests in Unova and it felt like the writers had to make a weird excuse for her to appear there.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi

-------

She could gain as much experience with other Pokegirls or any strong girls if not more than Ash. The thing with Ash is that he's the main character of the show so we got to see the most of him, including his interaction with her onscreen. And since that he's hogging the most spotlights, she's going to be toned down and making her presence into shipping bait again.

Status
Not open for further replies.